Cmd

You Jow Forumsuys are probably going to roast me but what ever.

So is the command line really better than a UI? I know, the origins of computers started with the command line.
But as time went on we developed UIs so people can easily run programs. But geeks and shit are still using the cmd. Why is that?

Does anybody use a cmd line as there whole OS? What is the sole purpose of using a fucking cmd line when a UI is significantly easier, faster and better?
Is the cmd line used to communicate with your hardware better? I would love to learn some important cmd lines for my machine. But Idk wtf im doing.

Attached: cmdtools-featured.png (640x274, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gYDYSSOA2f8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>the origins of computers started with the command line
Can zoomers die, please?

Attached: 1522337165004.jpg (576x720, 39K)

assuming this isn't a bait post, command line has a wide range of uses. For example for smaller and simpler programs it's easier to just make them command line based than making a whole ui.

command line can be used to write scripts for unmanned operations on computers

and they are used in situations where a GUI is unusable (e.g. embedded systems) and/or unnecessary (e.g. a server)

No user, this is not a bait post. I'm being dead serious. I really can't grasp the concept for the use of the cmd line, as retarded as that sounds

GUI is bloated and is in no way faster. For web browsing, having a GUI makes sense. But configuring your OS / program shouldn't be a computing task that requires your GPU to work.

A CLI allows you to accomplish a task in 1 command vs few clicks and layers of GUIs away. Also, you can put them into a script, so you can automate many of the things you usually do with the GUI.

You can manipulate low level things without the need for a full blown piece of software. So, basically, you don't need to be reliant on anything to manipulate things like networking and shit like that. You can do pretty much anything you could do with a GUI, but GUI's rarely cover all of your needs, especially when you want to venture into advanced things.

So does a terminal and Command line mean two different things?

a terminal is just a fancy name for a program to access the command line from a GUI.

Pedantically? Yes.
Casually? No.

too add on to this, in the early days the computer you'd use to access a mainframe was called a terminal.

you script in text, not an arrow moving across a picture

>checked
u know how u highlight, copy, find the appropriate location and finally drag and paste all ur files to organize ur computer? well, on the command line, for example, you do this by simply typing a sentence or two worth of characters (and thus making a script). And the next time you need to organize, you can use the same script, so you don't even have to type it out again.

just one normie friendly example. compare the slickness of the latter with the ineffiency of the former.

so, for me, for example, I just type "./organizer.sh" and it moves all my images to an image folder, all videos to a video folder, etc etc (you can set it up however you like, just like with GUI).

Of course, you could do all of these in AppleScript, without any CLI to be seen, long before anyone ITT was born.

One evening, Master Foo and Nubi attended a gathering of programmers who had met to learn from each other. One of the programmers asked Nubi to what school he and his master belonged. Upon being told they were followers of the Great Way of Unix, the programmer grew scornful.

“The command-line tools of Unix are crude and backward,” he scoffed. “Modern, properly designed operating systems do everything through a graphical user interface.”

Master Foo said nothing, but pointed at the moon. A nearby dog began to bark at the master's hand.

“I don't understand you!” said the programmer.

Master Foo remained silent, and pointed at an image of the Buddha. Then he pointed at a window.

“What are you trying to tell me?” asked the programmer.

Master Foo pointed at the programmer's head. Then he pointed at a rock.

“Why can't you make yourself clear?” demanded the programmer.

Master Foo frowned thoughtfully, tapped the programmer twice on the nose, and dropped him in a nearby trashcan.

As the programmer was attempting to extricate himself from the garbage, the dog wandered over and piddled on him.

At that moment, the programmer achieved enlightenment.

cli = flexible
gui = walled garden

Apple is for people who look like this. Go shill somewhere else

Attached: PIg-4TdV_400x400.jpg (400x400, 20K)

If you've already wasted your time learning all the commands by heart it actually is a little faster, and old autistic beard wizards hate that it isn't the late 70s/early 80s any more.

>no actual counter-argument
No surprises, either.

Attached: 1449516142517.gif (367x219, 523K)

CLI is harder to learn but faster and more dynamic to use. Anyone who actually values their time would use the command line

>autistic beard wizards
Nah, they don't care. They've moved on. It's the kids who think because they memorised a few commands it makes them l33t h4x0rs.

CLI programs get complex in a linear fashion but graphic programs get complex exponentially.

So only intellgent people who think deeply about the there machine use the CLI

>Anyone who actually values their time
Would waste time learning a legacy UI? Because that's what it is. It's different for my generation, as we actually grew up on CLIs - it was the only way to operate the machine. But now, why in God's name would you bother?

>it's another episode of what are use cases on Jow Forums

>But geeks and shit are still using the cmd. Why is that?
Writing scripts that use command line programs is easier than scripting GUI programs, depending on the platform. Not wasting developer time on making a GUI instead of improving the program is another benefit for programs that would gain nothing from having a GUI.
The reason some programs don't benefit from having a GUI is that, for example, having a file selection menu for dd wouldn't make things any faster than just typing the path in (using tab completion of course).

>Does anybody use a cmd line as there whole OS?
On servers, yes. Although things like virtualization software have web GUIs.

Which is why it's ACKSHUALLY called a terminal emulator, and not just a "terminal."

To answer your question, OP, let me pose one to you. With a GUI, how would you go about searching through multiple directories, for files that contain a date code, or start with a capital letter and end with a certain numeral, or that contain a certain string, that are of one specific filetype, or multiple types, rename them, copy them, and paste those copies into another prespecified directory? That would be a monumental pain in the ass, right?

What would be HOURS of tedium via GUI can be done with just a few commands, options, and arguments. It's not worth learning if you're just farting around on your gaymen PC, but for productivity the command line still cannot be beaten.

>With a GUI, how
Bulk Rename Utility.

For tasks to you do often it's probably would be better.
For tasks you are not doing often its way worse.

Can't your just use a file manager?

You're missing the point. That is just one application of using the CLI. It's a lot more in depth than I care to go into right now. Basically, any time you've wondered "is there an easier way to do this?" There is. It's the command line interface. Read a fucking book about the subject you're interested in. God damn zoomers.

>UI is significantly easier, faster and better
that's debatable. If you want to see images yes. But myself when I'm working and I want to commit something in git. If I open some gay ass git GUI client, click in the changes I want, try to figure out what the buttons exactly do I lose a lot of time and concentration when the fucking git command line I know it pretty well. I just do git add -p, choose whatever I want and do git commit -m "OP is a faggot". Which is probably in my terminal history already. And this is just a quick example

Attached: 1547780705050.jpg (1125x941, 76K)

>tfw git master but never typed out 1 command

>Does anybody use a cmd line as there whole OS? What is the sole purpose of using a fucking cmd line when a UI is significantly easier, faster and better?
wow you sound like my retard coworkers

here's an idea: sell your computer and switch to using an ipad exclusively because it's 'easier'

>So is the command line really better than a UI? I
That depends on you. The command line is a back-end to very many GUIs and therefore if you are able to just use your keyboard instead of your mouse, you save resources on your computer.

>retard coworkers
>Can't use grammar properly
"retarded coworkers" sounds a bit better

Given the power of everyday modern computers, this isn't an issue anymore. Were not using timesharing machines and this isn't the 50 anymore. People swearing by commandline are autistic elitists that should be gassed at the next opportunity.

Attached: 1547903451261.jpg (640x620, 25K)

>CLI is better because I personally already know the commands

Attached: 1542094799267.jpg (300x300, 47K)

Post your github

Attached: Cremuelle.png (645x691, 399K)

Yes. GUI's are only really for web browsing, vidya, and brainlets.

You have baby duck syndrome and do not (yet, maybe) understand how to have your user interface compound and do stuff for you. The terminal command line is not a command line like in dos, it’s a shell that lets you program and script.

It's more efficient for both computer and you. Just take a look at typical usage scenario.
GUI program:
1. Launch the program
2. Wait until it loads everything you need and don't need (mostly the latter)
3. Navigate to your option using menus and buttons
4. Finally run the option and get what you want.
CLI program:
1. Launch terminal
2. Enter name of the program, specify the options if needed, specify the file if needed
3. Run the entered command and get what you want.
See, it's actually faster. Instead of waiting you just say what you need and go.

cool bro
what gui should i use to manage kubernetes?

Only retards use GUIs. Once you install Arch and you get the hang of your tiling WM, you can configure all your tasks using scripts. These scripts are accessible by just a few key presses and the only GUI you need, *debatable* is a browser.

>Google
Dropped!

If you don’t think a cli is better, please make a GUI for every program you use or write. No? That’s what I thought

Just use links, lynx, etc. it’s better

Just use kubernetes. I can’t tell if this is bait

>this triggers the CLItard
boom instant proficiency while the clitard is wading through man pages ahahahaha clitards btfo how will they recover

Attached: qUA2W.jpg (771x508, 178K)

>unironically defending bloated GUIs

Attached: wgetgui.png (651x497, 18K)

Jesus kek. Wget is an incredibly simple program. Who the hell was this even made for?

i'm not a sekrut clubber

now imagine if man pages were actually useful: formatted like a markup language so that they could be parsed and instantly turned into a gui

e.g. man wget | togui

then you'd get they year of the linux desktop: a picture is worth a thousand words

>Who the hell was this even made for?
noobs

>oh noes my sekrut knowledge has been exposed and simplified for the normans

>oh noes my sekrut knowledge has been exposed and simplified for the normans
ITT: this.

Let's take an example: I have written something in a document one time and I want to recall that thing, but I only know part of the words.
The normalfag method would be to Google it and learn the thing again.
The cli way to do it is to do a recursive search on my homework folder and see if I can find it there.

I started to use the terminal like any other scripting language.
I use it to test lines but only really use it for scripts.
Then I bind those scripts to hotkeys in order to do certain tasks in an easier way.

>scripting and automation
>chaining input and output
>less overall footprint on programs
>has advantages over GUI with some file management.
>most text based applications are very portable such as ssh

As for:
>Does anybody use a cmd line as there whole OS?
yes servers and hypervisors are all headless so they relay on text interactivity. the reason they do this is because overhead costs $$$ in real hardware (servers are not cheap) and maintenance costs.

The less software - the less to learn and try to support.

Terminal is like a voice assistant, but text-mode and more sophisticated.
Even tried to add a note using Google Assistant? You don't even need to open the notes app, very handy, huh?
Well, the terminal is just like that.
>hey computer, I'm 2lazy to open a text editor, can you add this line into my text?
>Sure thing, buddy
The command:
echo "the line i need to paste" >> text.txt
">>" means "add"

>servers and hypervisors are all headless

Attached: 1310483412100.jpg (413x395, 61K)

go away luke

>Return
>implying git = github

I use the private repositories of whatever company I'm working for. Now I'm using gitlab.

Well yeah.

Attached: download (4).png (500x375, 299K)

O so you don't use Git to push to Github? Cool. Post your Gitlab then. Let us see the superior code you push using your command line. Do I sound like a cunt? Maybe I am a cunt. Post or you mom will die in her sleep tonight!

Attached: 1547951954458.jpg (634x888, 91K)

Here's another example. You sure know how to share the content in mobile apps. You don't need to copy/paste text or download and upload images by hand.
In the terminal it's similar. To throw text or data to another program directly just use pipe "|".
Example:
history | less
That's how you pass some really long input directly into a text viewer. You can also pass it into a search (grep) and search something:
history | grep ssh

>go away luke
Wow, am I really this good at explaining things for zoomers?

>The cli way to do it is to do a recursive search on my homework folder and see if I can find it there.
Every file manager I know can do that.

>What is the sole purpose of using a fucking cmd line when a UI is significantly easier, faster and better?
Well, it's not. UIs are slow, intuitive, and usually bloated messes.

By this board's standard I'm pretty normal but when my coworkers/others see me using my computer they tend to be a little confused. I don't use a mouse unless I'm playing games. Doing everything via the keyboard is extremely fast. I'm no longer moving my right hand back and forth a million times a day. W/ a wpm over 100 life is good on the command line when I have shit to do.

Look at this: This is a GUI for typical CLI program. Imagine having to wade through tabs and checking flags every time.
Typing options in terminal is so much easier.

Commandlines are way faster when you know your way around. I can tell imagemagick to compile all my pictures to a certain format. I can even use a small bash program to distinguish between certain files as input. I need this for my job regularly and can just run the shell script again when I need to do it again.

Nice wisdom

This.

During my career, I've noticed that people with the best workflows are programmers living and breathing in the cli.

They knew the learning curve was going to be a bit steeper, but they also realized that Unix commands were written by people far smarter than them.

They know how to stand on shoulders of giants.

In the end, they can do in 3 seconds on a CLI what you do in 3 minutes on a GUI.

Attached: bhtmux-cartoon.jpg (842x720, 278K)

patricians use a combination of both

Attached: iu.png (1130x930, 55K)

This image is gold. Saved.

One of the benefits of CLI over GUI (depending on what you use your computer for) is you won't need to open a whole GUI application if you want to do something like do a batch edit of a bunch of image files to set to greyscale, using imagemagick for example. Or want to change a bunch of video files to only audio use something like ffmpeg. If you want to download a youtube video use something like youtube-dl.

There's definitely other things to it, like GUIs needing the use of the mouse instead of being able to stick purely to the keyboard, some GUIs are clunky or bloated (not all).

For a lot of people, learning CLI just isn't worth it because they don't really have many regular use for this kind of thing. GUI has some useful things such as more complex image editing or video editing so it's not totally useless but it does make it simpler for the normie end user even if it is slower than CLI for lots of applications

>"the" command line
which command line

using the mouse is easier than using the keyboard

Hi OP, since you're not only an arrogant zoomer but also a retarded macfag, let's try something, you use your superior Apple GUI and I'm going to use the outdated and made generations before you born command line.

Let's do something small, let's create a text file with "Hello world" inside, then copy it to Documents, and the delete the original, ready?

[@Thinkpad ~]$ echo "Hello world" >> 01.txt && cp 01.txt $HOME/Documents; rm 01.txt
[@Thinkpad ~]$ ls ~/Do
Documents/ Downloads/
[@Thinkpad ~]$ ls ~/Documents/*.txt
/home/diego/Documents/01.txt
[@Thinkpad ~]$ time echo "Hello world" >> 01.txt && cp 01.txt $HOME/Documents; rm 01.txt

real 0m0.000s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.000s
[@Thinkpad ~]$

Tell me, how long did it take you?

explains it pretty well youtu.be/gYDYSSOA2f8
its basically like an assistent, the difference being it requires you to remember words, which is harder to do than just click on flashy buttons like a retard

Easier =/= faster but that's definitely true, for most people it's frankly not worth the effort unless you're able to do things faster with only keyboard for most thing rather than switching between the two.

Depends on the job.

There are tools out there that do a job simply by entering the command name and a filename. You can specify additional functions just be adding a letter to the command. You can do a whole job in seconds. In contrast, a GUI application requires you to boot it up, open the file, click the right menus and finally get to doing a job. The main advantage of command lines if they let you repeat a job. You can easily specify it to carry out a task on a folder of hundreds of items with only 2 seconds of typing, while in a typical GUI program you would be doing it piece by piece.

One example is file type conversion. It's easier to have a command line program convert a bunch of video files than it is to deal with any GUI app. But if you want to make and edit videos, you're going to have to deal with a GUI.

Why do you think most programmers use Macs, scriptkiddy? Everyone uses the command line.

>a UI is significantly easier, faster and better
It's harder, slower and more limited. Every UI is different, how am I supposed to find the option I want without searching through every single menu and dialogue. That's fucking retarded.

> cmd
No, sane people don't use it because it's absolute shit when we're talking about windows. You basically don't have a choice, you MUST develop GUI apps.

>scriptkiddy
Man, that was literally 1 ONE command line, but yeah everyone uses the command line except retarded zoomers like OP, not even macfags programmers are this retarded.

GUI's have their uses but command lines are generally just more useful, more versatile, and more powerful. The minute you need to do anything more complex than click on an icon, a GUI is outclassed by a command line entry.

The difference between a command line and a GUI is the same difference as a GUI and a smart phone UI that's attempting to convey the nuance of unique programs with.... hieroglyphics, for lack of a better word. There's no meaningful hierarchy of letters, there's thousands of unique pictographs, and because it sacrifices usability for accessibility, what used to be a very simple action is now significantly more involved.

OK, now you're saying, 'but it only takes 40 seconds to access this folder on my GUI relative to the 4 from a command line' and you'd be right. But now consider how much time is fed into performing tasks a trained monkey could complete per session. Per week? Month? Never mind that a GUI is worse for your eyes. There's exactly only ever one place new text pops up in a command line, GUI's are- if unintentionally- distracting by design.

>a (G)UI is significantly easier, faster and better?
No

>UI is significantly easier, faster and better?
God I wish this was true.

Because when you code something new, it's much easier to write a command-line interface than UI. UI frameworks have devolved over time, there were much more advanced ways to write fast and clean UI in the late 90s / early 2000s than today, when you are expected to write JavaScript and ship yet another browser disguised as your GUI app. Developers actively hate writing UI, and when I was doing it in the early 2000s, everyone who wasn't consistently underestimated how hard it actually is to write good UI that updates itself with your actions and validates your inputs. That is why everyone writes the newest and greatest stuff as a command-line tool first, and GUIs are almost always an afterthought. Thus you must learn to use the CLI if you want the best tools.

Well, at work I have a Windows laptop which I use to connect via ssh to a Linux computer in the lab. I do everything in a terminal (Putty) and run my shit in tmux. I edit code in vim and I use zsh as my shell. It's so much easier to just, for example, just type "git commit" rather than clicking that in UI. It's so easier to make aliases for often-used commands, to automate things via bash scripts. It also feels so clean and fast. I love how zsh (and oh-my-zsh) make things even easier for me, autocorrection via tab and browsing history using the arrows are so much better than in bash, and it also looks pretty.
I still browse the web and check the email using GUI programs on the laptop, of course. It would be absolutely uncomfortable to do this via some text-mode only programs

HI, I am the great Cornholio. I need TP for my bonghole...

Attached: CORNHOLIO_NEED_HIS_TP.jpg (500x500, 66K)

only UI program I use is a browser. so yeah, command line objectively is superior

I know all the shortcuts on my computer.

>uses $HOME over ~
holy fuck you millennial shit

Both are good for different things. Some things are more effective on command line, some with a GUI. Claiming that one is inherently superior to the other is nonsense.

And then when you want to do the same thing on a production server, you'll end up having to write a regular script for it anyway.

Congratulations, you've now done the same task twice, defeating the entire point of automating tasks.

No it's not better. That being said there doesn't necessarily exist a GUI replacement program for your use case. Also consider the fact that command line tools are built into the OS. So if I am trouble shooting network connectivity on random host I am just going to have to use whatever is already on the machine.

It took 2 Google searches and a few minutes of clicks to change the temperature settings in a program I use to C instead of F.

cli would.have been a manpage search and one command in about 10% the time.

to chain and automate tasks command line applications are indisputably better than gui applications and this is not up to debate. however for everyday normie use gui trumps command line pretty much always, also making guis is a lot of work so the unpaid one man projects 99% of foss is made of is unlikely to have one. this is completely acceptable but they still feel the need to sugarcoat it up by pretending gui "isn't necessary" or "theres nothing you can do with gui that you can't with command line" and other excuses like that which leads proprietary gui based software to dominate all platforms except those that have no alternatives like linux fags

>gets his use case destroyed
>t-that doesn't count!

he's technically right, cli application have you waste time once at the beginning to learn the commands to speed up operations later, they forget than in 99% of cases they vastly overblow the time wasted to click buttons so they think clicking 2 times in a window somehow takes more time than rembering the commands with all the options and write them properly. unless you use scripts to automate tasks using cli is pure placebo to think you're doing things faster, like vim vs normal text editor fags

>So is the command line really better than a UI?

Of course not.