Question for people in college

Hello, I'm first year CS student and am wondering how am I supposed to have side projects in CS college, when they rape you with assignments and leave you with no free time to spend on your hobbies?

I sacrified my sport time and dropped out of team to just casually train here and there, I wake up at 5AM in the morning and arrive at school around 6.30AM, then all I do is study and work on assignments till 8PM in the school or library and then head back home, where I arrive around 9.30PM and take a shower/go to sleep. 3 times per week I also go to trainings which take 2 hours off my day.

Same shit on weekends, but I just don't have to go to school and study from home and spend 2 hours exercising. I should also probably mention I have 2 years of prior work experience, because I went to college 20 years old and know what it means to work hard 6 times per week 8 hours per day in dead end job.

The thing is I lost most of my motivation now, because the assignments I spend most of my time aren't even programming related, so I spend 75% of time doing other shit and studying math, while 25% time goes actually into learning how to program in C++.

I'm not sure, if I'm just not suited for this, because 4 months ago I really looked ahead positively, but now it just feels like I'm wasting time in college and started to hate even just watching the code, let alone programming. I'm not sure where to go from here or what to do, I seriously don't know whether I just realized I hate coding and reading documentations and implementing new stuff or if it's just the pressure associated with it and insane assignments we get, where you spend hours doing them and sometimes getting stuck and not even knowing where to go next, other than asking classmates to help you.

Any advice? I really feel like dropping out and spending next 1 year on just doing web dev and learning C++ and doing couple of projects/contribute to projects and get a foot in the industry (have couple of friends in alread).

Attached: 1534079713802.jpg (240x280, 18K)

What the fuck are you doing? You only need to go to school on exam days. Everything else you can just do at home.

Only dweebs and teacher's pets do side projects. You go to uni to get drunk and get laid. And then after 4 years of minimal effort they hand you a certificate that guarantees you a cushy office job.

I've also noticed some people and new friends I made will read the task and solve it in a matter of a hour or two, because they simply 'get it' and know how to start solving problems right ahead, while I sometimes don't even know from which angle to start solving a certain problem and where my holes in knowledge are to begin with. Some of them have had previous programming knowledge etc.. and some of them started new like me, but somehow had a 'click' or whatever.

I asked them a few times to go through the same assignments I worked on and how they did it and explain their process of implementing code and structuring it and I just usually get, "it just makes logic to do this here and there", with no real further explanation.

I get easily distracted at home, plus most of my friends/classmates are at college also and we hang out/help each other, if we get stuck.

Yeah I've done enough of that from the age of 16-20 age, kind of grown out of it to be honest. On the other side I see a lot of classmates being totally inexperienced that never went out clubbing, drinking or probably went on a date, let along had sex. So, you get the idea.

>when they rape you with assignments and leave you with no free time to spend on your hobbies

You complain about this as a undergrad? A freshman no less? Never gonna make it.

Attached: g-side.png (498x1480, 260K)

Well yeah, that's why I'm wondering for some advice from people in my shoes. I don't feel bad about failing to be honest, I know I put in the time, there's nothing wrong with finding out I'm not suited for doing something where I'm constantly under stress and hate doing it.

>Spending this much time on undergrad university work
What the fuck? What are you even doing all of that time?
I probably spent maybe 2-3 hours a day doing university shit, including actually going to lectures, and I largely got good marks.
I feel you probably have horrible time management,

>I don't feel bad about failing to be honest, I know I put in the time,

Attached: dumb.png (768x500, 43K)

As said, doing assignments, going to lectures, taking notes, revising notes, learning form tasks, etc..

Then also just eating/working out, socializing, etc.. I'd wish I could say how 'easy' CS college meme is, but it has been nothing, but a complete rape until now. 90% of people are pretty much in same boat as me that I talked with, trying to be positive, while admitting they are struggling and just working their ass off to stay in. Nobody is laughing at this point and thinking "uh, it's not that hard", it feels like you are always behind with something and that it's normal to fail at least one subject.

you want software engineering not computer science. change courses asap

I don't think you miss-understood what I said, I'm saying 75% of time I spend on assignments that aren't even programming oriented and studying match, while 25% is spent doing programming.

I can do programming on my own, but it feels impossible to do it in the time you get to do it. Deadlines are short and you don't have time to spend only on programming. You also never know what assignment you are going to get and how long you are going to spend doing it, so having "time management" is thrown kind of out of the window, since you can't say if you are going to finish something in 4 hours or be stuck on it 3 days.

I think you miss-understood what I said, I'm saying 75% of time I spend on assignments that aren't even programming oriented and studying math, while 25% is spent doing programming.*

Sorry for miss-typing. I'm gonna spend 30min more in this thread then wait for other responses. Don't want to waste time looking like I'm crying here help, just really looking for advice.

I guess that might be the case yes.

Hey. I'm a third year CS student. It didn't get better, the further it went, the more time consuming it was. Ignore those that say to not go to uni or that it should be easy. They either haven't taken the degree or haven't been in uni at all.
Yeah, it is hard and should be hard. Yes, there is no time for side projects, but don't worry. Your degree is better than side projects. Projects in general are for those without a degree or with a different degree. Just relax and focus on your studies. I did manage to get some side projects during the summer, but it wasn't because I want to show them off later. It's because I simply enjoy it. Anyway, best of luck and don't give up. It didn't get easier for me, but I did get used to it

This is unironically it, then you get lucky that one of your dude bros’ Dad has some good connections and you’re in from there, making bank with your limited abilities while the nerds who spent all day doing github projects in their spare time fix your code for half as much money as you get.

was gonna write a long positive post but i think i'll just leave you with this:
you should probably finish school
if school has you seriously down don't take it too seriously, everything in moderation
eventually you'll learn to deal with the pressure, and if you won't you can always press pause on school later

Stay in school.

It might seem like a lot of effort and inconvenience right now, but the payoffs when you are done are way more important than anything else. You will basically be guaranteed a nice life when it's over.

Side projects are shit. Nobody fucking cares dude, nobody will look at your code, if you're lucky you might have a friend or two who give it a github star, maybe you'll get a few, but in reality nobody cares man. No job offers from facebook will come from it. It's seriously not worth worrying about.

If you want some tips, look the answers up. The "hard" path and learning every single part of how to do something is INCREDIBLY rough and will just be a black hole of never-ending shit to look up. You'll never have enough time to do it all.

Just get into the habit of this kind of cycle where you think more about how to achieve the answer, rather than how to learn the answer. It sounds like cheating but I'm sure 99.9% of people will do exactly this. It also helps for getting shit done when you don't know the language very well.

>try on your own for about 30 mins
>you either solve it, or you can start googling pieces of the puzzle you can't figure out.
>end up piecing together parts and finding a solution that works.

From there you remember those pieces, in the future you just implement them from the top of your head instead.

It's okay to google the answers, you just have to learn them when you do.
You just have to do your honest part and actually learn it, and of course change the answers, play with them, figure them out, implement them into your initial solution instead of just copy/pasting like a retard. Figure out where you went wrong, which parts fix your solution, and then learn why it fixes it.

college isn't meant to give you a focused education on a topic, it's designed to give you a baseline education on a number of topics so you have the Correct Opinion on those topics as well as a basic education on them so your employer can train you further

if you are skeptical because that is the exact opposite of what they told you in high school, congradulations! you figured out why college is a scam. so are you ready to finish your undergraduate degree and move into a graduate program? excited to find the time to work on your master's project? excited to waste time attempting to get your thesis done doing work for classes you dont care about? its the college experience!

If you want to do only shit tier pajeet monkey-press-key "coding", drop out and go to a bootcamp. You'll find a job. If you actually want to do something of any worth, stay and shut the fuck up, stop complaining.

I have the reverse problem in that I breeze through the courses but have no idea what to do for side projects
The only thing I did outside of class and internship (where they just told me to self-learn a bunch of web app frameworks and make simple projects) is a HTML5 interface for my dad’s work

op, have you ever considered that you might be dumb?

dipshits like you say this over and over and over again but i'm not dumb enough to blow through twenty grand on a college degree because people say "your life will be better afterwards"

how, asshole? i don't need a college degree to make my life better and quite frankly the time spent paying that shit off probably isn't worth the time i spent getting the degree for the single tax bracket i'm statistically likely to go up in for graduating in the first place

This is also my first year in college for CS. I have no more than an hour and a half of homework a day. If you're struggling, you're just retarded. I'm also prior military though so maybe I just have more discipline and don't browse fucking Jow Forums when i'm doing my homework.

>miss-understood

it's not surprising you're failing

Attached: brain.jpg (645x729, 32K)

Obviously you know that college isn't for everyone, so why even argue with the guy? You can be a programmer without college, but I wouldn't want my doctor to be a self taught autist.

Thanks, that's kind of re-assuring. However, here's the thing, I have 3 friends that dropped out of CS in their first year and all went to study on their own and went into web dev or software dev. All of them got job within 1 year and said it's much better in the industry and that college sucked and was waste of time for them. Some even finished 1st year and then dropped out, because they just didn't get out of it what they were looking for.

I take it seriously, but not to the point where it would hurt for not finishing it. As said, I have previous 2-year work experience and can survive, if I fail.

I get what you mean and I wish I had a little bit better time management when I started. Unlike being stubburn for 3 days and trying to finish things on my own, I should reduce it to 3 hours and ask classmates for help when being stuck. I figured out that was a problem and should approach it a bit differently.

I feel like we covered a lot in 4 months, really stretched us out in every possible direction and I filled a lot of holes in my understanding of everything related to computers/web/programming/.

>i don't need a degree to make my life better
Cope from someone who couldn't hack university

Sour grapes are sour

i think the problem is college convinces people that being smart is the ability to cram information in your head rather than being able to apply it

like einstein could go to college now and they would probably consider him retarded because its all about rote memorization now instead of critical thinking

Learn better time management skills and learn how to effectively study. I go to a highly ranked CS school and lots of people have side projects. Ignore the people who say it doesn't make a difference in hiring because it absolutely does.

go join the military faggot, get all the time in the world to learn programming yourself and work on side projects, then go to school for free and finish your homework in two minutes.

While some people actually grab concepts really quickly, nine times out of ten most of the people in my classes had a semblance of exposure to a certain topic and that's why it was so easy for them. For instance, I started as a compeng major and took an introduction to digital logic course. Last semester, after having changed my major to compsci, I had to take a computer architecture class and ended up already knowing a ton of the material just because because those two classes had a lot of overlap. You'd be surprised with what can come back a year down the line and help you understand a particular problem.
TL;DR don't compare yourself to other people because you'll always sell yourself short

Attached: cool yo shiot.jpg (736x691, 61K)

I'd almost like to feel retarded, but there are plenty of people with previous coding experience from high school that are struggling on same shit for hours upon hours and complaining the same as me.

The same people that got 90%+ on first semester in programming without learning and previous experience, get lost and need help with certain stuff like me. So, even though that might be the case, compared to other people I don't feel like I'm really retarded to be honest.

Yes.

I've discussed this above already. It's hard to have time management when you don't know how long you will be stuck on finishing assignment.

I'm 21, I think that's too old to be honest. If I was 18 again, then perhaps 5 years would be fine to try out and then go to college, while having some money saved and moving out on my own. I didn't think too much about that as a 18 year old kid that didn't knew what he wanted to do in life and without guidance and father figure. Shit happens, can't look back and cry.

Alright, well either do something about it or stop writing fucking blog posts

you say that like being immersed in marxist ideology, the complete inability to describe observable reality, is some kind of positive experience that other people are jealous of.

if people didnt call other people stupid for not taking out a loan that costs as much as the down payment on a house to listen to communists then i might think more positively of higher education

I feel this, I’m going to get a first from a top Russell group uni, I’m in my second year and constantly get 75%+ on everything yet I feel like I’m going to come out of university without any knowledge of actual programming, the only thing I can say I know now that I didn’t before university is implementing data structures

Not trying to compare, just trying to grasp the root of the problem.

>I'm 21, I think that's too old to be honest
I went through bootcamp at 18, with guys who were 33 years old. I also worked with guys who did nothing until they were 25, then joined the military for free school. I know a fuck load of people on this albanian goat skinning forum hate the military, but it is literally the way out of any shitty situation.

I didn't take a single "marxist ideology" course in my 4 years at university. The courses I took were all math/CS with a few economics courses (which were classical economics, not Marxist) and some language, physics and technical writing courses.

Keep coping

>it's another "college is a marxist conspiracy" episode
go take your meds you fucking schizoid and stop watching infowars

Attached: 580900_422524524462282_1743391794_n.jpg (374x356, 37K)

Hahahaha this made me laugh cause I've been there before. I felt like giving up last semester too. Thanks OP. I'm on my way out now about to graduate.

Looks like you've learned very quickly that yes professors are just there to fuck you with assignments and projects. Just wait till you do team projects.
Now to get serious. Yes this is what CS is like. Your free time and hobbies will become CS related if you want to maintain your grades and be successful. Those with hobbies and free time are usually spergs or have been programming since they were 12.
The only "hobby" I have is shitposting on Jow Forums. You just have to work hard. College will keep being like this until you get to senior year when you just take blow off classes and get to be yourself again.

My piece of advice is to man up. Do you want this or not?
Just wait till you start getting in interviews and you move on to the technical interviews. You need to be studying for those daily + leet code daily just to not embarrass yourself. I spend every amount of free time I have these days studying for interviews or trying to learn a skill used in industry to give me an edge on my peers.

It depends on a person, so I can't answer it for you. University makes it easier. Also, bigger companies will most likely not hire you unless you have something really impressive to show. Another thing, university helps you network with people. I have had multiple job offers without looking just because I met people and they liked me. If you feel burned out by your studies, maybe try doing 50% of it? And look for a part time job?

Look, I feel military is a very valuable and incredible experience, but it would take me around 5 years to get to being in a certain position and going on a mission for 6 months-1year to save some money, while living on almost minimum wage.

Or I could drop out and spend 1 year studying and grinding to have a comfy office job like my friends, which already told me to not feel bad about it and that they will help me out and have trust in me that I could with current knowledge get a job within 6-12months and help me getting a foot in the industry.

There's a difference between starting education and dropping out.

Seeing your attitude is already shit before you start you can just give up, you'll never make it anyway

>Make E-5 at 22 years old
>Over $4k a month with benefits
Never going to make it user

OP here, I'm not that guy.

You sound like my African friend. Everytime he got stressed out and was faced with a challenge he quit and changed his major. Guess what? He's still a freshman/sophomore and at least 5-6 years away from graduating and will most likely end up changing his major again pretty soon because he's lazy and picked a hard major this time.

I'm not from US.

Oh get fucked then pajeet

This absolutely.

Hi OP I was in the same position 2 years ago. Very prestigious uni, was very happy to be a part of it, but holy shit was it taxing. Studied math for the whole week to not fall behind, was falling behind at programming. Studied programming the whole week to not fall behind, was lagging at math and this fucking cycle of never ending lagging and stress and bad grades fucked me up.
I couldn't even think about getting a part time job, couldn't study my hobbies, didn't have any time to make friends, just study.
After a year I said enough and changed schools to an easier one (still quite prestigious here, but not computer science, more business IT orientation). And guess what, I'm in my second year now with a great programming job, have great friends who I hang out with, school is full of pretty girls, I have time to study programming on my own, have hobbies, go to gym. And I don't give a fuck about the school being worse - whatever I need, I study on my own and I was never better at programming thanks to the job and self study, because the dumb fuck CS problem sets teach you absolutely nothing about what programming is in the real world.

On the other hand, I have a colleague who is a student of the previously mentioned prestigious school, and he is on another level. But he was on that level even before he started studying here you know what I mean? In other words, if you struggle a lot, changing schools or majors doesn't mean you will fail at the IT job market, it can mean the opposite.
Good luck.

C O P E

Might not be fp but bp

Lmao who's coping? Me with a job, plenty of sex and good CV stuff, or you, a 4channel shitposter

You're not alone user, even the brightest in my class in both Programming and even Calculus study all the time. Those who dicked around had to retake Programming I in the 2nd Sem.
It's normal to spend all your timw studying, what your doing now is an investment for the future. Also find some Sophomores what they're doing so you can study in summer.

dude literally all maxists are screaming over the american uni system lmao

Are you for real?

No matter, "side projects" are a meme so employers can skimp out on training costs. The real redpill is that a proper wagecuck is better off, in this case.

8/10 professors are Marxists and the other 2/10 are liberals who mostly agree with them. All part of paying your dues.

This is a Steve1989MREInfo appreciation thread now!

Attached: 1539393759384.jpg (1000x800, 110K)

Quitters gonna quit...

People actually study this much? I'm a first year CS student and I'm pretty sure I could get away with 3h straight studying each day, and when I say 3h I'd say that's a very safe number.
That number gets quite bigger on some days but that's only because of my inability to concentrate and focus on the task, and some days I don't study at all.
I'm trying to work on my time management because it's super poor, but if I succeed I won't have any problems with doing side projects.

I literally do nothing other than turn up to my seminars, if you have to study at home you’re a brainlet.

>CS monkeys complaining about having a lot to do

Meanwhile, i'm enjoying my third year of maximum C O M F Y in physics.
>tfw picked up C++ on a whim last week expecting it to be hard (it wasn't).

Not everyone went to shit uni, bud.

This is true

If true, you aren't gonna make it