I'm looking at buying a laptop, I think I've settled on this one. Seems very good for the money...

I'm looking at buying a laptop, I think I've settled on this one. Seems very good for the money. Anything I should know before I purchase? I plan on running linux so I dont care about the Chinese windows, and I dont particularly give a fuck about "muh spying" shit. Is purchasing laptops from Ali Express safe and good?

aliexpress.com/item/Xiaomi-Mi-Notebook-Pro-Laptops-15-6-inch-Win10-Intel-Core-i7-8550U-16GB-RAM-256GB/32878060787.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10065_10068_10547_319_317_10548_10696_453_10084_454_10083_433_10618_431_10307_537_536_10059_10884_5736015_10887_100031_321_322_10103_5736115,searchweb201603_35,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=60243595-2a76-48fe-b19d-8cff6f74e52e-7&algo_pvid=60243595-2a76-48fe-b19d-8cff6f74e52e&transAbTest=ae803_4

sorry for the aids link

Attached: Original-Xiaomi-Mi-Laptop-Pro-15-6-Inch-Intel-Quad-Core-NVIDIA-GeForce-MX150-1920x1080-FHD.jpg_640x6 (500x500, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sale.aliexpress.com/__pc/BhQPgEWPNM.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You're gambling when you buy Xiaomi in the west. If you need any support, or need to RMA it for some reason you're dealing directly with China. Huawei is the safer bet, pretty much the same thing but their release in the west enables more direct support connections.

I did look at the Matebook X Pro, however it seems there are a number of issues with linux on that machine, and the thermals are terrible, plus the price goes up significantly, which is a major factor for me at this stage.

If you're willing to accept the risk then there's nothing wrong with going with xiaomi, just know it's easier to get burned.

How much risk is it? Like is there a high chance of it being a brick and not being able to get a refund?

>dedicated graphics
>i5 with turboboost
>no fan heatsink

Literally a fucking housefire.

As much as I love Xiaomi products, for that price you can buy real laptops with a real cpu (8750H). And I don't mean gaming monstrosities, but elegant and sleek laptops.
Plus, ram and ssd prices are falling, so don't get too fixated on buying the fully specced thing if you can replace them for cheaper.

I havent seen any major complaints about thermals, and I dont really intend on doing any heavy gayming - if I did i would make sure its got an external cooler (ie prodded up with a desk fan pointed at is)

Can you give some examples? I havent seen anything similarly specced in the same price range. I'm also from New Zealand, so my options can be rather limited without paying literally hundreds for shipping from the US.

I have it. AMA.
It's good, I can't complain (aside from the 256GB SSD).
RAM is built into the motherboard, there's no way to upgrade it.

I don't know ali expresses' return policy, but assume outside of whatever the window is, you're on your own.

Linux run well?
Hows the build quality?
Honestly I'm not too worried about spec or hardware at this point. I'm sure its pretty much fine. My bigger concern is about the purchase process. Where did you get yours? If AliExpress, was there anything wrong with the shipping etc?

im not too worried about ram and I can upgrade the ssd when I get around to it.

They do have return policies/refund policies, but my understanding is that theres a lot of discretion given to the individual sellers. You can get Ali Express involved though if they arent being reasonable.

sale.aliexpress.com/__pc/BhQPgEWPNM.htm heres their "buyer protection" page

If you're in NZ shipping should be fine, ordered thousands of NZD worth of goods from ali with no issues. You won't receive a brick most likely, and if you do you'll get refunded by ali

Warranty could be an issue, make sure to read the store policies before you order. Xiaomi is very decent with QC though, I have over 30 Xiaomi products now and nothing ever broke.

I've bought other stuff on Ali and never really had any major issues, but never anything as big/pricey as a laptop thats all.

I think I'll end up getting it.

I have only tried KDE neon and that was a year ago. No problems at all, though.
Build quality is great. Only issue I have is that the space bar doesn't have keyboard back light. I can't recall if it has been there from the beginning and then broke or if it wasn't there at all.
Battery life is around 7 hours.
I got mine from Gearbest, shipped to Switzerland in about a week. However, 3 weeks later I received a $50 bill from DHL. I was a bit staggered.

I've never bought anything from gearbest. I did look on there but everything was way more than Ali, especially shipping.

>2019
>still selling 8GB shit
capitalism was a mistake

literally what the fuck do I need more than that for? fuckin gaming? using windows? not managing my use of tabs because im some kind of animal? What a god damn waste of money.

get out of here you filthy fucking commie

Attached: 1545347768261.jpg (211x239, 5K)

The real mistake is that any remotely thin laptop has the ram soldered for no reason, and if you want a laptop with upgradable ram you have to buy a brick. You don't need that extra mm soldered ram saves guys, especially when it makes the fucking cpu throttle because you opt for noise control over functionality.

this is true. they dont seem to have an issue with upgradable storage though. For now at least.

Im assuming its a money saving thing though

I have this laptop and am also a kiwi. It's a fantastic latop. The only things you should do is either reinstall or replace Windows, another thing is that it bases it's fan speed of cpu clock. You can update the bios to change this though. Been using the laptop for around 6 months. The keys are a little flimsy but are solid enough. I use mint because it doesn't support Debian out of the box.

Get the 16gb edition as well from gearbest because it's not much more expensive

it comes out at like 300 more. on top of that the battery will be worse because of fatter cpu and i really dont need the preformance

If he chooses a good retailer he'll get support. I bought at tradingshenzen and their support is decent.

The thermals are fine. If it's used on battery Temps are 28-43° C, the fans only spin if it's higher than 40° C. Under heavy load while it's charging it can reach 75° C and the fans are really noticeable.

The cpu is more than powerful enough and if you got the correct bios installed you can change the tdp of the laptop to 45w etc. The cooler is more than capable enough for this.

>Linux run well?
Yes, however I had some problems with installing the nvidia graphics driver but I'm probably just retarded.
>Hows the build quality?
Good. However I had 2 softbricks which required me to disconnect the battery and reconnect it to get it to work again.
>Honestly I'm not too worried about spec or hardware at this point. I'm sure its pretty much fine. My bigger concern is about the purchase process. Where did you get yours? If AliExpress, was there anything wrong with the shipping etc?
Tradingshenzen, 3 weeks delivery, no problems
>im not too worried about ram and I can upgrade the ssd when I get around to it.
The ssd installed is pretty good. If you need more storage it has a second m.2 nvme capable empty slot I filled with a 970 evo. You just have to unscrew 8 screws and take off the plastic back, it's rather easy once you get the hang of it.

t. Xiaomi Notebook pro owner

>Yes, however I had some problems with installing the nvidia graphics driver but I'm probably just retarded.
This is a linux-wide issue as far as i can tell, not specific to any hardware. nvidia is just shit. I should be able to work it out though, im fairly familiar with the process.

Hey I'm also in NZ and got the i5 one for some game development I wanna do with my flatmate and some general shit like web browsing, video, light gaming, writing some small programs, etc and it's a dream.
I bought through AliExpress and because it's a bit of a more expensive item, it arrived in like 10 days. Not sure about Linux since I'm fine with wangblows 10, but I never needed anything for drivers, everything worked out of the box after non-chink windows went in. AliExpress is pretty safe to work with, the laptop is great for the money, try not to spend more than $1200NZD in the i5 model

>Linux run well?
Not sure sorry, but probably, it's all pretty standard hardware
>Hows the build quality?
Fucking excellent. Only complaint is the base can flex a bit and isn't as solid as the rest of it but it's minor and doesn't affect operation
>Honestly I'm not too worried about spec or hardware at this point. I'm sure its pretty much fine. My bigger concern is about the purchase process. Where did you get yours? If AliExpress, was there anything wrong with the shipping?
Nothing wrong at all with doing. AliExpress is pretty safe to shop from because the stores don't get the money till you say you've received the goods, so the likelihood of getting fucked by it is low.

Hi I basically bought this exact setup over xmas. Although I have an i7-8550u processor (basically the exact same as yours) and as a compromise I have a 2gb MX 130 GPU. Same 8gb ram and a WD 256gb int SSD.

I got mine from a UK chain PC store (PC world) for about £600. It's HP.

Compared to what I was used to before (laptop had i3, oldddd desktop had similar + a 650 GPU) this is lightning. The processor is really a huge increase, everything is just so responsive and smooth. The boot is

Attached: Screenshot_2.png (1244x739, 282K)

>not amd cpu
>not amd gpu
>I plan on running linux