Gnome is shit

I have just installed kde plasma and this is like day and night. please, leave gnome away, it is pure shit

Attached: 245px-KDE_logo.svg.png (245x245, 4K)

okay

The only redeeming qualities of gnome is that it works better with strange multi monitor configurations and is a little closer to total Wayland compatibility.

But for a normal desktop user I don't see a reason to use it instead of kde.

A lot of KDE memes about it being buggy and bloated stem from the initial release of KDE 4. But now, most bugs have been squashed and it doesn't have any more overhead than Gnome.

I use KDE/xorg on Fedora (which is considered a sin.) But fuck'um, KDE is too based!

Attached: 1523344741921.jpg (1082x695, 287K)

You say that, but my experience with KDE-based distros has always been, and continues to be today, random bugs and UI failures within the first 3 hours of use. It just breaks as soon as I start trying to customize shit through its own dialogs. Missing icons, controls/windows misbehaving, fucking settings crashing, error messages within the fucking UI, you name it. Every single time.

OP is right, I switched to Plasma 2 weeks ago and never looked back. Fuck gnome.

Werks on my machine, but I am also using a very popular Thinkpad model, which means the driver support is excellent.
Maybe your setup is at fault? For example on my desktop I was totally unable to install any distro due to incompatibilities.

KDE is a mess in its design. Not surprising that GNOME is a "default" DE when you have such competitors.
But, yeah, you can move panels and shit, great.

>Maybe your setup is at fault?
It's a mainstream platform literally 10 years old at this point, and not once in its life has KDE been stable for me.

it's more about performance for me. gnome tuns like shit can't can't even vsync properly over 60hz. this could change with 3.32

I use both on various computers. Neither is especially great, and KDE certainly is not worth expending the effort KDE shills put into their awkward campaigns. It's free software, there won't be any checks coming in the mail.

Please don't send gnometards to KDE they'll bring their baby duck syndrome and infect KDE

>Missing icons
Restart Plasma shell after you change icons.
>It just breaks as soon as I start trying to customize shit through itw own dialogs.
Not all features are compatible with each other. Possible user error. And again, it's a good idea to restart Plasma shell.

KDE is functional but an inconsistent mess with menus that make no goddamn sense.
GNOME is a slow, laggy piece of shit with a pretty stable experience.

Linux is shit.

Kde is alright and is good looking but when I used it with my void install that is on my x230t the battery would drain in 2 hours but with lxde it would last for 5 hours

Attached: 1547945207052s.jpg (125x125, 3K)

>GNOME is a "default" DE
kek, fuck off Fedora fag, go suck IBM's Red hat now that you are owned by them.

Confirmed that you have not used KDE in the last 2 years.

>Not all features are compatible with each other.
Are you saying parts of KDE are incompatible with other parts of KDE? That just makes using KDE sound insane in the first place.

I don't like plasma 5 at all and the shilling is extremely annoying so I just use i3. I miss kde4

It is also default in Ubuntu and SUSE.
And corporation own linux for a long-long time. Muh hobbyist programmers are a myth.

I'm running the current version of Kubuntu, jackass.

>Are you saying parts of KDE are incompatible with other parts of KDE?
For example, you shouldn't have two different window minimize/maximize annimations enabled at the same time.
Should be common sense, but retards call it a bug.

Does KDE still have window drop shadows rendering ON TOP of the taskbar? Are they still fucking blue?

do an older non current version of KDE then, cool story

no, and no

The older version is supposedly "stable". Why would I want a version with even more bugs?

Kubuntu doesn’t follow KDE release cycles at all and is constantly out of date. Install KDE Neon

here's your , shill.

I love how KDE fags just proving themselves that their DE is unstable mess by all these "B-but you are using it with wrong distro, install another one and it will sure work!".
KDE is a special snowflake piece of shit that crumbles when you look at it wrong, I got you.

t. footfag

dude, menus and options are all over the place and GUI fails or hangs on the air. It's just unusable most of the time. I like kde applications but using plasma is a piece of shit. Like if you have to use something practical you use gnome3, xfce, or lxde. And if you are a minimalfag then dwm. But that piece of shit has no redeeming qualities. I can't believe it uses more ram than gnome or that is popular on Jow Forums since this should be a ricing hobbyist home.
I guess a lot of /v/tards made the move to Linux and saw that KDE looks like windows so we get all this shilling.

I use Gnome 3.30.2, AMA.

>I can't believe it uses more ram than gnome
post proofs

You shouldn't be allowed to set 2 animations at the same time, so yes it's a fucking bug.

Attached: muh_bloat_KDE.png (2560x1440, 3.72M)

I hate gnome too (but for other reasons), but atleast its somewhat usable.

disgusting

Here's Guh-nome running Firefox AND Transmission, note there's barely a difference.

Attached: proofs.png (1632x1008, 275K)

Now organize by memory you retard

It isn't going to change the totals. I just remembered I'm running Monitorix in the background in the Gnome install, so that's two more programs running on Gnome, versus only Firefox on KDE.

I'm the one you replied to, I don't have my kde screenshots anymore I think I just deleted everything and never touched KDE again

Attached: GNOME_CENTOS_DEBIAN.png (1604x1800, 2M)

This isn't news.
It's always been this way.

and I remember perfectly, plasma-shell uses like 3 times more ram than the gnome-shell process, but I'm not touching plasma 5 anymore just to prove it. I'll give this to KDE, their animations are better. But gnome is more functional with the default keybinds

>3.10
Holy shit, isn't that like, 10 years old?

Not him, but why not, if it works(tm)?

>just want to install Linux Mint and dual boot it with Windows 10
> it won't fucking install without error
Epic, what a terrific user experience, what a terrific audience

The only reason to use KDE is the fact that it can emulate Windows 7's interface which is the best interface ever designed. You can do this with GNOME with two extensions.
KDE's default apps are all total pieces of shit.
So, fuck KDE fags, and fuck Konqi.

Attached: x4chI.png (1366x768, 131K)

I'm just surprised. I mean, couldn't they get the same stability and security from something newer?

I hear they're always looking for contributors if you would like to help.
Or maybe you would rather shit-post and bitch?

One if the things I hate about vanilla Gnome us you need third-party extensions to make it look half-way decent. KDE has third-party too, but they aren't necessary.

I really like KDE but there are a few bugs which should've been fixed eternities ago. For example alt-tabbing and other shortcuts often don't work so you have to restart kwin to fix it.

And yet gnome is newer than Debian's. They get priorities right. Stable inside, shiny outside.
I'm learning Linux stuff still and my t440p is on the red hat works(tm) list so I don't bother.
I compile or get OS agnostic binaries and install them myself anyways, since Debian's are very old and in Fedora you have kernel upgrades like every week.
there are always upstream critical bugs or security bugs that never affect RHEL because they use old versions lol.
Only fixes are applied to old versions and not functions, but the same rule isn't true to GUI applications, as you can see RHEL 7 launched with something like GNOME 3.10, I don't remember. Anyways we have new compilers every year too with SCLs so I can't complain.
extensions are 20kB big, they are just fucking config files.
>dude just create your own KDE

It's not so bad, there's plenty of software out there that does the same thing, they just call them plug-ins rather than extensions.

It's CentOS, they backport all security.
Also notice GNOME Shell is 3.28, which is almost the newest version (and is default in CentOS 7 now, you get this ootb), despite old kernel and a fact that it was released in 2014. They update things that matter.

CentOS is basically modern Slackware to me. As much as I like Slackware it needs more support, I don't like having to compile libvirt and qemu/kvm. And Debian's are pretty old. I hate Debian because it has everything, yet everything is fucking old.

Hey, whatever works. I guess I shouldn't get hung up on the numbers.

This right here. I'm an i3fag, partly because I only have old thonkpads. As soon as I get a decent desktop I'll give kde a go.

dual booting linux and windows 10 is a terrible idea. that goes without saying

to be honest I get mad that people recommend Linux Mint. it got popular since the default GUI on Ubuntu got really bad (unity instead of gnome 2).
But it doesn't have any security advisories, i don't think it even signs its packages. It's just insecure by default and the devs are just amateur.
For choosing a distro you don't go into le ebin anonymous forum you just google. Fedora has professional devs, SELinux, signed packages, security advisories. Ubuntu also has professional or semi professional devs from Canonical, Apparmor instead of SELinux and also security advisories and i think something like signed packages, I'm not sure about that last one. Those are the good distros for a newbie that just work AND are secure. Debian can be as secure as Ubuntu and Fedora, but it needs tweaking after installation. I think Ubuntu/Debian is a bit less secure since it behaves a bit weird, like services get enabled when installed

unity was dark days. im glad they stopped being retarded

and yet I see people on Jow Forums saying it's better than gnome3 so they use it..... wew........
I mean I know gnome3 could be better, but unity was so botnet dogshit and ugly that i couldn't believe my eyes. That was the closer we were to android with integrated google, even the GUI was like android ice cream or something like that.

You've seen how many settings/config options there are.
KDE doesn't remove features used by any minority of users so obviously there will be some conflicts.

Or you can take the GNOME approach and decide that all settings should be obscured because you expect your users to have sub 80 IQs.
Then you deliberate on whether or not to remove themes all together.

Nice FUD. Show the task manager also to prove you aren't running other applications. Plasma 5 + my firefox usage is less than 2gb. That's without having to gut plasma. Gnome oob uses 2 gb on fresh boot

T. Red hat developer

No one cares that you are an absolute retard that can't install shit. I dual booted many Linux distros with windows 10 with 0 problems. Go back to /v/

>but at least its somewhat usable.
Good joke

>KDE doesn't remove features used by any minority of users so obviously there will be some conflicts.
then where did kwin's tabbing go? Where did the ability to set different wallpaper on each virtual desktop go? There's a lot of options I used that they've removed over the years, just not a hundredth as many as GNOME

I never thought I would see anyone on Jow Forums saying this. finally people who aren't completely blind and braindead. unity was a fucking mistake. easily the worst DE. people shit on gnome and the reasons are defiantly valid but at least you can actually customize it

same, installed and unistalled next day. Go with elementary os, shit is cash yow

Maybe of gnome footfag developers accepted Canonical's patches, unity wouldn't have been born. Gnome uses way too much screen space for absolutely nothing. Unity used the space way better
Fuck off retard

htop is a task manager you goddamn retard.

Where did the ability to set different wallpaper on each virtual desktop go?
You can still do that. Just with activities instead of virtual desktops.
>kwin's tabbing
I don't know what you're referring to.
Theres like half a dozen tabbing options. Maybe I havent been using KDE long enough to notice one get removed..

>people shit on gnome and the reasons are defiantly valid but at least you can actually customize it
What part of Gnome can you actually customize?

The wallpaper, maybe.

It's so sad most people install ubuntu / fedora and experience Linux only with gnome.
I started liking Linux only after switching to KDE

Fuck off retard. Use KSysGuard and group by applications so we know you aren't spreading fud. We know you footfags will resort to dirty tricks to defend your bloated, stuttery, JS infused DE

>expect users to have sub 80 IQ
quite the less. I edit config files for editing my themes or extensions. And every sane keybind is already there by default. Like moving windows to different workspaces, having infinite workspaces without adding a dumb GUI widget.
Gnome keeps it simple, KDE is made by schizophrenics. I wish KDE focused on stability instead of looking to add fucking dumb widgets

stay mad wagecuck

seething ktards

Attached: fedora-29-1.png (1366x768, 1.44M)

Wrong thread.

this thread makes me feel strangely happy. I love watching KDE and gnome users argue

disgusting

Quite the opposite experience here.
Tried every DE except gnome (because Jow Forums memes and it looked very strange if google pictures of it, still a mystery why they decided on that "tablet" style of menu, while using it has nothing to do with tablets and how you operate it).
It was the comfiest experience ootb of them all and very close to win10 that I am used to. There things that I don't like, but compared to others it is just better.

mah men

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-20 12-01-54.png (1366x768, 1.51M)

The only thing I think Gnome lacks is KDE's easy to set up wallpapers. On GNOME you get just one wallpaper, on KDE you can set it up so that you cycle through an entire folder, and they can change every 30 minutes.

Inshallah brother

There is probably a extension for that or you can write your own in JavaScript if you know it and willing to spend time.

Im obviously not him. You're just new if you don't recognize htop.
>We know you footfags will resort to dirty tricks to defend your bloated, stuttery, JS infused DE
Did you even read the rest of my post?

>I edit config files for editing my themes or extensions
Missing the "btw, I use Arch."
Why do you use GNOME when you could use a TWM and escape the Javascript bullshit?

>Poorfag tries to mimic a fucking mac
>Considers anybody else to be seething
laughing whores.jpeg

Attached: file.png (1920x1200, 559K)

Gnome 3.32 (which you can test on fedora rawhide) will be the end of KDE, it's the best gnome to date.

>Gnome 3.32
What changed compared to 3.30?

>Poorfag
My laptop literally costs more than most macbooks

A lot of performance improvements

>1366x768
No it doesn't.
Kys

>Gnome
>Wayland
>Works
Choose 2

the tablet meme is people that never used gnome. It has the most space on screen of all desktops
(you)
>Missing the "btw, I use Arch."
>Why do you use GNOME when you could use a TWM and escape the Javascript bullshit?
anesthetics is the only thing I edit that way. I make the titlebar tinier on the default theme, though you could just swap the theme. Functionality is peak by default. You can't say the same about a TWM, you have to edit quite a while to get it to do what gnome does out of the box, volume, backlight, change sound output, change multiple screen setups, multiple keyboard layouts, etc. All of that is more complicated than changing the padding on the titlebar, not to say disabling suspension on lid close or lockscreens or scree timeout, or auto suspension etc.
If I try to find those settings on KDE is clicking trough menus randomly only to figure out there isn't a setting for what I want. Unless on gnome if I know it isn't there I just use the terminal and make a keybind

Gnome is too slow on my thinkpad and it starts to lag on my desktop when the gpu goes into powersaving mode.
Also nautilus is trash compared to dolphin, the filepicker sucks dicks, etc

one day youll realize that its bloat and youll install a tiling window manager.

Seething

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-20 19-30-58.png (1920x1080, 394K)

desu I wish we had that, though we can do it with a file, they should add an option to choose multiple ones to change.
Also the option of KDE of wallpaper of the day is pretty cool.

Those are entirely different setups.

Why are you trying to cover for a liar?

Why in the ever loving fuck would you use vanilla Jow Forums?