What are some decent hard drive brands...

What are some decent hard drive brands? I'm staying away from WD and Seagate because I've had bad experiences with them and after opening them up noticed they're skimping on build quality.

Attached: hard-drive.jpg (900x800, 85K)

I've been satisfied with Hitachi. ymmv

There's only 3 hard drive manufacturers in the world. If you're excluding 2 of them, Toshiba is the only choice.

I had a Samung, then a WD and then a Seagate HDD in my PC. None of them died. I think it's pretty much depends on the case your are putting them in. If they don't get enough cooling, they may have a bigger chance of failing. Also
>buying HDDs

This. I've had the least issues with Toshiba drives over the years.

HGST if you're a burger, WD red if you're euro.

There are only three left so your only option is Toshiba.

>Hitachi.
Does not exist anymore

an SSD

what?
Toshiba is the only other choice. Pretty loud until 10TB (not helium). They're great though.
/v/eddit again with their SFF case and 500GB SSD for their games..

What, what? WD reds have the best availability here, HGST drives are overall best but it's way harder to get hold of them or their price is marked up heavily.

>what?
HGST drives are a pain to get a hold of in Europe.

not in my case but i understand your point. hgst is fading out anyway, the latest server products DC ultrastar already lost the hgst branding.

you could agonize over which brand and which model is better or more reliable. or you could just accept that any drive can fail at any time. Buy whatever is cheapest for the capacity you need and use redundancy and make backups.

Or increase your odds of not having to buy a new drive any time soon.

But you niggers always have to go for the cheapest. This is why most things turn to shit. You niggers always went for the cheapest optical drive. The cheapest blank media. The cheapest 3.5" floppies. The USB flash drives. The cheapest SD cards.

No wonder consumer storage solutions are always shit.

Paying more money does not get you a magical immaculate jewel that is immune to failure. Ask the macfags about that one.

For one, that's why I said odds.
Second, Apple is shit and Mactoddlers will pay more for less regardless of how many times they get BTFO.

It makes no sense that someone would save $5 or less on a Seagate when Toshiba or WD have better reliability. And sometimes you can get those for less than the price of a Seagate drive.

You don't know in advance which models of drives, or even which brand over all, is more reliable. You can't tell that when you buy the drives. Sure you can see it in hindsight, after thousands of drives have been in service for years, that's what Backblaze does. But by then different models of drives are on sale, and they might be great or might be duds, you don't know, because you haven't run thousands of drives of that new model for years.

So if you have to buy lottery tickets, yes, buy the cheapest ones. Put aside some of the money you save towards the possibility of having to replace a drive, you'll still come out ahead.

From personal experience with plenty of drives I had, they perfectly meet Backblaze's data. So yeah, I'll buy Toshiba first, Seagate last.

Unless your sample size (number of drives of each model, and total drive-hours) is similar to theirs that means approximately three-fifths of fuck all.

your sample size is tiny, so i don't know how it is relevant.
seagate is also doing very well with their 10TB exos on backblaze so maybe don't opt for poorfag models.
i have a few hgst 10TB ultrastars and a few 10TB seagate exos drives and it's just a gamble over all.

>Seagate
I've owned several barracudas over the last 10 years, never had problems, in fact I keep buying them because of how reliable they are. I had three WD failures, on the other hand.

HGST was the best but WD bought it. WD is a safer choice although segate fail rates go down.

WD, except their ancient pre-green/blue/black/red/whatever drives.

Go to back blaze and check your hdd model of choice against their failure rates

Get Seagate if you like losing your main drive and backups at the same time.

Backbaze only uses a handful of models from each manufacturer and definitely don't have lower tier products.

>definitely don't have lower tier products.
They use non-Pro WD Reds and used a stupid amount of Seagate desktop drives, they even bought them as externals once. You're talking out of your ass.

Seagate and WD are actually fine. Just do mdadm or snapraid or some storage cloud + backup. No *single* drive is reliable enough for data that you want to keep safe.

But if you just want a different brand name get toshiba or hgst, I guess. They're also fine. Buy full enterprise if you must.

Pick whatever drives with 5 year warranty and make backups. Drives come and go.
RMA immediately when even a single reallocated sector is reported. Run monitoring software to alert you when that happens.

Hard drives are inherently prone to failure. You could buy the most highly rated consistently good drive and get one that's DOA or dies within a year or ownership. The only way to really mitigate that is redundancy. As in have your data backed up to several places so if anything fails you don't lose everything. I wouldn't count WD out as they have been very good to me personally. The only WD drive I've had fail was a 160 GB PATA drive they promptly replaced with a 320GB and it worked until I outgrew it. Still has some old data on it

>Hard drives are inherently prone to failure.
>inherently
No more so than an analog clock.

Toshiba because it's just werks for at least 3 years lol

ur a dumbo, WD has the lowest failure rate.

they dont unless they implemented HGST technology already

I used to defend Seagate, but over the past year I had three ST3000dm001's (notorious for high failure right) die, all at about 30-35k hours. Granted, things might be better with them now, but I'm not rolling the dice again. Fuck Seagate.

you are a lucky retard. it's already great to even get a drive to 30k+ hours. especially desktop drives that are not supposed to run 24/7.

Horse-shit. Every single other drive I've owned has lasted 6+ years.

Also, pic related. I'm not memeing here. Those 3TB Seagates were fucking trash.

Attached: backblaze2014.jpg (620x649, 29K)

be glad you had incredibly durable drives.
I know, I've had a few of them. I only buy 10tb+ drives these days, hgst or seagate server models. we'll see how the hgst durability meme will hold up.

Why do they not make a 2TB at 7200rpm? This boggles my mind.

I keep all my games and music on an external hard drive, but am looking to move them internally to improve load times,etc. I know an SSD is prefered for that shit, but I'm not about to drop that $$$ for a 2TB SSD.

What even are the pros/cons of a hybrid drive? I cant find anything anywhere that is informative

Attached: Capture.png (1219x611, 185K)

After years of WD just straight KO overnight i went sea gate , Had 2 of them start failing at the 3-4 year mark sea gate replaced/fixed them for free.

Recently had my 3rd sea gate start to have uncorretable sectors.

Recently bought 3 WD Reds (despite my previous experience) so we shall see if they at least give me a headsup before exploding.

TFW You own 3 seagates , My 3TB is currently at 48547 power on hours.

RIP My 1tb tho.

Attached: DiskInfo32S_2019-01-20_18-46-11.png (1002x992, 833K)

>we shall see if they at least give me a headsup before exploding.
Here's what that will look like:
1) You'll start noticing sporadic bad performance.
2) SMART Raw Read Error Rate (and possibly Write Error Rate) will start increasing from zero.
3) Sectors will start failing to read, causing application errors.
4) The drive will eventually report the above as Pending, and may try to correct (by reallocation) while it's idling. If that fails (most likely) they'll be reported as Offlline Uncorrectable. If the drive doesn't have offline data collection enabled, it will never try (WD Reds).
5) It will languish in this state, for possibly months, depending on usage. If you're lucky it will accumulate reallocations instead of leaving sectors in a half-broken state indefinitely (as WD Greens do).
6) At some point hard errors (IDNF) will begin to occur; that's your last chance to get data off it. High chance the drive will randomly lock up and make weird noises. It may also drop and reset itself when reading/writing certain areas.
7) Some time after that the drive will shit the bed during initialization and it will no longer be detected, or be detected briefly before dropping again. It's dead, Jim.

>Why do they not make a 2TB at 7200rpm? This boggles my mind.
Because Western Digital is the Intel of storage devices.

If you want 7200 you must pay the Black/Gold/Red Pro tax of +100%. A 2TB Red Pro costs about as much as a 4TB Red. Guess which one is shit. :^)

Which is the AMD of storage devices?

Seagate, unironically. They're the price/performance king, if you don't mind the shit aftertaste from 2013-2015.

Toshiba being the asian buttmonkey leeching off other companies' designs (Hitachi), like that chink company that got a license from AMD to make Ryzen clones.

Probably seagate, they're hated, give alot for the money, and my particular seagate went into a read only mode when it started clicking so I could back up the stuff.

>I'm staying away from WD and Seagate because I've had bad experiences with them and after opening them up noticed they're skimping on build quality.

You're full of shit

Attached: 1538369677882.jpg (469x452, 39K)

I have a WD 500gb blue that's been running since 2012, no issue

The original 7200rpm Blues were pretty decent, essentially lower binned Blacks.

Then they removed all the 7200rpm variations and the Blues became higher binned Greens, until the Greens got such a shit reputation they just dropped that product line altogether. And then Blues became bottom tier.

Yeah those 5400rpm high capacity blues suck ass, my WD10EZEX I just put in is beautiful.

apple brand hdds

corsair, i got some for gaming

Samsung, don't know if they still even make hard drives though.

Have a 1 TB going strong for over a decade.

Maxtor. Indestructible. You need to search eBay for them now, and they all be like 500GB and shit - but any data put on a Maxtor drive is data you;ll never have to worry bout again, Quite loud also tho
>for real, any non-green WD

>mfw my old ass WD Green that I ripped out of a external case and threw in my PC is still going with 60k hours on it
It might be finally starting to crack because writing Shadowplay videos to it feels like it's taking longer and longer. I'm surprised it's lasted this long.

Attached: honah jill.jpg (413x416, 29K)

I just got my cheapest 1tb wd in my thincentre m92p budget gayman build
pretty good so far

>I'm staying away from WD and Seagate
Good luck then since basically both of these companies control the hard drive industry, including all those small brand names.

>60k hours
Damn bro my 5900 RPM barracuda LP form 09 only went 23 thousand hours before it got really slow and clicky, I had ripped it from an iomega enclosure.

It's not a matter of staying away from Seagate. It's a matter of staying away from drives that implement SMR (regardless of manufacturer), which Seagate's Barracuda line does.

I have a bunch of ST2000DM001 drives, the 2TB version of the ST3000DM001.

If your business is write once, read a lot, then SMR drives will be fine. Like cold archiving. If you're doing a lot of writing, SMR goes to hell in a hand basket fast.

I have Maxtor IDE drives that still work. They're like 20 years old.

beautiful and true
truly amerikan made
wish seaniggates didn't buy them

>I'm staying away from hard drives
>what hard drive do I get?

>which Seagate's Barracuda line does.
Only some of them. The vast majority of Barracuda models is PMR.

If in doubt just look up the spec sheet, Seagate produces highly detailed and comprehensive PDFs for every single drive model. Every SMR drive has 2TB platters, sub-6000rpm spindles, and large caches (128MB).

Fuck, I meant 256MB.

Backup your shit if its important

WD RED / Ironwold for NAS (ZFS), ZFS IN NOT A BACKUP, IT WILL ONLY SAVE YOU IF A DRIVE DIES
WD Black for desktop use

/thread

Attached: 2100-in-1-dualcore-backup-hdd.jpg (800x800, 102K)

why not just get a cheap ssd at that point?

I have a 2TB black for steam games, I'm not spending huge money to put shitty games on a sdd.

You can add a ssd to a NAS for a cache if you want family

Attached: 1495902939040.png (640x624, 749K)

only 280 watts with a 1050
gonna be pushing it with 2

They're all roughly equally fine, if a drive failure results in data loss you're doing it wrong.

What caused those 3TB drives to fail so badly?

I bought a 72000rpm 1TB blue last year to replace my old samsung spinpoint. Very happy with it so far, it's way quieter.

>72'000rpm
>Quiet
Pick one and only one

isn't it a lot faster though

Yeah, but the data rot is fucking appalling. The rotational velocidensity at those speeds is completely out of control.

>unironically using lossy formats
you were basically asking for it

>The rotational velocidensity at those speeds is completely out of control.
kek

>He doesn't buy 128,000 rmp HDD's and overclock them so that they slip into other dimensions.
The data stability is solid because the rotational velocidensity in this reality is effectively zero, and they're completely silent because they factually do not exist when in operation. The only downside of dimensional horror slip doesn't matter provided you have the necessary arcane seals established ahead of time.

why doesn't someone just make a hard-drive where the arms and heads spin around stationary platters? rotational velocidensity would be solved once and for all and we could listen to 64kbps mp3 in peace.

Attached: samsung quality.jpg (700x933, 77K)

should have gold soujaboys ssd

Nice short on the connector. Hows that $10 PSU working out?

Those shitters got phased out quickly and replaced by another model.