What's the best, most reliable way to back up my music, movies, important data these days in case my laptop dies?

What's the best, most reliable way to back up my music, movies, important data these days in case my laptop dies?

I only need about 200-250GB.
Are the cheaper ones on Amazon (~$30-60 USD) any good?

Attached: hip amoeba.png (95x125, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Lexar-NS100-Solid-State-Drive-240GB/dp/B07H6N13NF/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1548003863&sr=1-2&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin:610553011
amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-STEA2000400/dp/B00TKFEE5S/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1548008168&sr=1-7&keywords=external hdd
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

CDs or usb sticks obviously.

You'll want a NAS with a RAID array that has some redundancy. Preferably, you'll want 2 NASs in different locations.

yeah why don't i just record the data onto magnetic tape, thanks for the help

Would your data be safe is there was a house fire and you weren't home?

If it's a reasonable size I could stick it in my safe with all my documents, actually

Alright fine, copy and paste everything into a different folder on the same drive then you fag

>give retarded sarcastic answer
>get retarded sarcastic response
>get mad

???

Using a NAS to backup your shit isn't retarded or sarcastic you tech illiterate moron

I'm backing up music and media, not fucking top secret government files you autist

this

>What's the best, most reliable way
>reliable
You said you wanted something reliable, which means not losing your shit over time. Well, news flash faggot: USB sticks/SD cards die, HDDs and SSDs eventually die. Get some 2-bay NAS with RAID1 and call it a day. Or buy two 1TB HDD and rsync your data on both. It's worth it.

>using a NAS for backups
this is not a real option. for instance, if your PC get hits with ransomware, it's likely that your NAS would too and you just lost all your "backups"

"the best" would exclude something that is extreme overkill on price and size for what I need

just buy a external HDD from amazon for 50 bucks and only plug it in when you need to back something up. it's not rocket science

>if your PC get hits with ransomware, it's likely that your NAS would too
Only if you set it up like absolute shit

>what's a CoW filesystem
>what are snapshots
Synology NAS appliances even use btrfs by default.

I understand. Then I guess a regular HDD will do the trick.

Yeah but my main question is if the cheap ones like this are worth it, I don't expect an SSD to last forever but it needs to outlive my laptop which is 5 years old.

amazon.com/Lexar-NS100-Solid-State-Drive-240GB/dp/B07H6N13NF/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1548003863&sr=1-2&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin:610553011

It doesn't have to outlive your laptop though, all it has to do is not fail at exactly the same as your laptop, which is highly unlikely.

>cheap ones like this are worth it
I have no idea. AFAIK all my Samsung SSDs are still functional.
Enterprise hardware usually use Intel SSDs. They appear to be the most reliable, but they're not cheap.

no, that looks horrible. most of those cheap SSDs are scams as far as I know. just get this

amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-STEA2000400/dp/B00TKFEE5S/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1548008168&sr=1-7&keywords=external hdd

you can just replace it with a new one every few of years if you want to be safe

There are large flash drives. You can make a list of all your stuff, and archive it. Split archive into segments so you can fit them on the flash drives if you needed to use more than one.