Is 'while' a one-syllable or two-syllable word?

Is 'while' a one-syllable or two-syllable word?

Attached: 1523821679048.png (1193x894, 467K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ub9ONgsThKc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just one. What makes you think it could be a two syllable word?

2 syllables

1, but depends on the accent.

some people say "why-ul"

you can count the syllables by counting how many times your jaw goes down when saying a word.

Your mom was sucking on a two-syllable word about 5 minutes ago

Attached: j.gif (480x287, 704K)

Yeah, but its a diphthong. Still counts as one.
Btw diphthongs are a combination of two vowel sounds in a single syllable. Like house and face

Maybe it's a difference in accents. Would you be able to post a vocaroo of yourself saying 'while'?

Malay user knows English better than the average American and I am not surprised.

/'waı əl/ is very clearly two distinct syllables, despite the fact that the first syllable is a diphthong. Most english dialects have a hard time pronouncing /aıl/ and add in the /ə/ to make it easier. I personally pronounce it /wal/ due to my accent.

>t. non-Canadian

All these foreigners saying 2 need to stop appropriating my language.

One.
Who the fuck says "whi-le"?

Attached: 77a05c758cefe3278ebf4cfe38814af3.png (336x250, 15K)

one syllable is "wile"
fucking ESL

People from the mid-west

It's more along the lines of why-yool

This is true

Attached: big_1472170834_image.jpg (1280x720, 151K)

tfw Dane speaks better English than leafs, burgers and aussies

my-ull
nye-ull
pie-ull
why-ull

*tfw Dane speaks better English than leafs, me and aussies

WAI-'ol

s-shut up white boy.

I say it just like you say "wall"

delete your accent

no it's very colorful

pin and pen are said the same way too

and you never pronounce unvoiced stops at the end of words (just is pronounced "jus" for example)

sounds like southern ozark to me

southern appalachia but most of the south have those features to some degree anyway far as I'm aware

Words containing diphthongs surrounded by two consonants with the second consonant being an "L" or an "R" sounds like two syllables to me.

I'm in Central Texas and everyone here under the age of 20 sounds like they're from the North.

Pronunciation is meaningless in a pure grammatical context; there is no diphthong in "while".

Yes there is, it's the "aJ" sound.

Jow Forums won't properly display IPA so:

youtube.com/watch?v=ub9ONgsThKc

No, there is not. As I said: pronunciation is meaningless in a pure grammatical context.

Allow me to restate it in a more correct way: the written word in a pure grammatical context does not contain a diphthong, contra the spoken version.
Nevertheless, a diphthong is by its very definition one syllable, my point therefore still stands.

Yes there is, the vowel in "while" is a combination of the two individual sounds "ah" and "ee": "ai", thus, a diphthong.

The sound "ai" as in pride, wide, and while, and the sound "ei" as in may, ray, and whale, the sound "oi" as in boy, toy, and boil, the sound "au" as in now, brow, and power all are diphthongs.

in the US, where common speech sounds like a bandsaw cutting galvanized tin ...

See

Transplants need to die

What are you even arguing? Diphthongs are purely phonetic and the way a word is written is entirely unrelated

Is this a yuro with a proxy or just a y*nkee that thinks everyone in am*rigay sounds as awful as he does?

So you're talking about how the word looks and how it relates to grammar than the sounds itself?

its three dumbass
why-ell-eeeeeeeee

based