What advice would you give to a 20 year old Zoomer who is just learning programming in 2K19...

What advice would you give to a 20 year old Zoomer who is just learning programming in 2K19? I'd like to go back and learn how things were done in The Good Ol Days, if at all possible.

Attached: beginner-programming.jpg (400x400, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm
insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018
onetcenter.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't learn programming.

Read The Art of Computer Programming I guess.

I have absolutely no other skills and all I've done with my life for 10 years is waste time on my computer. At least let me start a computer focused career, user.

TLDR: people did everything by hand with a Text Editor like Emacs.

use it with C or Fortran.

I would advise you to kill yourself immediately.

Read ESRs "How to Become a Hacker", then go do shit.

Like a solid 80% of programming is figuring crap out. If you can't figure out how to Google "C tutorial" or whatever it is you need to know you are boned.

Focus on doing shit, e.g practice problems, exercises, building stuff that interests you, etc. while learning along the way.

Find and read the following works and do the exercises:
>How to become a hacker
>The C Programming Language
>Clean Code

Learn Linux and bash. Learn python and c. Get the infographic and roll for a project. Make it, then more, doing yr own research. Get a degree if u want to go that route.

>Get a degree if u want to go that route.
Getting a degree is just going through the same textbooks, except you read less of them than you would on your own and you have to jump all over the place.
I'm not saying it's completely worthless, but after getting through Jow Forums's recommended reading, it was hell for me. They made me sit through shit I already knew to a greater degree and wouldn't even let me work on my laptop during lectures. Have you had to sit through 4 consecutive lectures on basic logic gates by a 70 year old Indian asshole after you just built a calculator on your own? I have. It's not great.
If you need to do it, get a job from it and get the fuck out of there.

my advice is to learn how to program in a way that's practical and modern instead of idolizing the "good ol days"

Just giving a bump and letting you know we're all gonna make it if we try hard enough. Don't let anything stand in your way, and don't stop learning. If it takes you an entire day to learn something, well then by God you've still learned something. Best of luck of there
t.22 year prole wanting break free from his wage cage

then learn web dev. no one is going to let you program anything else without a college degree.

I was in your situation, and I've made it. It is more than possible.

Dogshit advice.

you can look at the statistics yourself. practically no one who does application or systems programming is without a degree. Web dev on the other hand they hire people who are currently flipping burgers at a fast food joint.

this.

>I'm not saying it's completely worthless, but after getting through Jow Forums's recommended reading, it was hell for me. They made me sit through shit I already knew to a greater degree and wouldn't even let me work on my laptop during lectures. Have you had to sit through 4 consecutive lectures on basic logic gates by a 70 year old Indian asshole after you just built a calculator on your own? I have. It's not great.
Yes, it's like this for anyone who is a little ahead, and most universities allow you take a test to get through classes if you already know the material, so either you didn't know enough or were being retarded by not looking at what you could do.

Learn vim inside out.

I am looking up the statistics right now. Half of the results seem to cite a Stack Overflow survey that seems to indicate 20%+ of developers are self-taught, the other half seem to cite Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers which indicate that the "typical entry-level education" for programmers is a bachelor's degree. However, I do not see how this was collected. I do not know if this was from job postings or a biased collection of data, like a certain collection of companies. The Stack Overflow results are, obviously, skewed towards the type of developer who uses Stack Overflow, whether it's to help or to look for help.
Links are below. I am not sure what to think one way or the other based on these results. Let me know if you were thinking of something else. The search term I used was "developer degree no degree job statistics". Anecdotal evidence based on the results say that most people work with developers who do not have degrees, but obviously, since that is anecdotal, take it with a grain of salt. I cannot find anything particularly on what TYPE of job these developers have, so if you could provide that it would be appreciated.
bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm
insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018

I did. "No one is exempt from my class". Asshole.
Even courses that were challenging had the same problem. They're just going through the textbook, hitting the basic points, and giving you some bullshit cookie cutter exercise. You can teach yourself way better than they can. Even the SICP course didn't cover the whole textbook that the instructor wrote.

Is this just any old 4 year, STEM, or a specific CompSci program? I did AE and am programming aerospace factory / design automation stuff.

>Good Ol Days

There is no such thing, most software has always been hacky, disorganized and barely working. Go look up some programming with Visual Basic or Pascal in old Windows OSes.

Thanks man, congrats on making it. What was your journey like?

>is without a degree
Yes but that degree need not be in cs or se. You can major in a non-meme program and actually learn things.

In highschool I was suffering from depression and always scraped by with a 50%. I was planning on killing myself as soon as I saved up the money so there was no point. The only thing I did decently at was a basic programming course, but after a single year of that I stopped, never considered it as a career, and forgot everything.
I was a dishwasher a few years back and worked myself to the bone. Everything just clicked one day and I started programming every day. It was like I woke up in someone else's skin. I switched to Linux and learned Bash. I took Jow Forums's recommendations and learned C inside and out and read all of the classic essays, which has carried me far with a strong understanding of the fundamentals.
I could only get into a shitty community college as a mature student despite placing high in competitions on my own and scoring 98%+ retaking courses I flunked in highshcool. One of the professors saw my potential and hired me at his company to work on healthcare inventory systems. I ended up leaving school. I quickly went from junior developer, to senior developer, to leading my own team over two years. I beat out the graduates from programs that wouldn't accept me. At this point, I learned tons about working on a team and code quality, as well as building a company. By the time I left they were offering me anything I wanted to stay. Now I am leading robotics work at a small company and consulting them on company growth. I worked on robotics in my spare time throughout all of this, as well as a million other things.

onetcenter.org/

I linked you to exactly what I found, I'm not combing through that website.

Holy shit man, that's absolutely amazing. You're an inspiration, thank you for sharing that. That's the kind of stuff that keeps me going.

sure but it comes down to what you want to do. If you want to be a stereotypical dev you need the stereotypical training. their just not going to hand you a job for free and say you will just grow into. I know someone who has a normal engineering degree and their day job is a dev in silicon valley. but they also went to bootcamps, went back to school for CS classes, networked their ass off for opportunities. this took a few years after they already graduated.

I was just being nice and linking it for you. Don't really care what you do.

Wow, that's so cool, how can I be more like you?

BASIC

Attached: CPM_CLUB12.png (1066x554, 36K)