/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: sqtboy.jpg (500x583, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

diamondmm.com/product/diamond-vc500-one-touch-video-capture-edit-stream/
10.0.0.182:8443/admin/index.html
XX.XX.XX.XX:8443/admin/index.html
XX.XX.XX.XX.182:8443/admin/index.html
staples.com/netgear-nighthawk-ac2100-smart-wifi-router-ac2100/product_24364773?akamai-feo=off
amazon.com/NETGEAR-R6700-Nighthawk-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00R2AZLD2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1548050970&sr=1-2&keywords=Nighthawk AC2100
pastebin.com/tGujsLAt
github.com/Kagami/webm.py/wiki
youtube.com/watch?v=puJewEKS_1Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Does TV-b-gone works through doors? my fuckin neighbor won't turn his shitty TV down

Attached: 1490442171053 (1).jpg (459x448, 131K)

knock and ask

he's a hothead, I don't wanna get stabbed

If you turn his tv off will you die?

it will be extremely painful

I just got bumped over from /mu/ because of a question: is there any way to listen to youtube and trun off my screen/change app? I want to stream the albums I love unconditionally but aren't on spotify.

every couple of months my computer goes full autism and does this shit

my monitor just randomly restarts, but it's not just a visual thing, if I were to turn off my monitor there are still audio stutters and such

i dont fucking know what the fuck the problem is and it is incredibly frustrating, any help please for the love of god?

pic related

Attached: 20190120_212832.webm (1280x720, 2.99M)

If youre talking about on your phone, you can use newpipe to play videos in the background. No idea about ios tho

I used to use newpipe until (presumably) they updated the youtube api and broke the app, again. Wait for a newpipe update which should be very soon

Just download the albums with youtube-dl, instead of wasting traffic. Otherwise only splitscreen. Google is regularly cracking down on apps that allow this.

Yeah in the mean time just uninstall 0.14.2 and install 0.14.1. It just werks

>wasting traffic

did newpipe break or did youtube break newpipe again? I remember last time they broke youtube dl too

Could be your power cable, could be your hdmi/dvi/dp cable.
Try swapping those out, it it still fucks up your monitor is kill

I was about to be worried hard, because I installed 14.2 and I couldn't play anything. downloading 14.1 right now.

Pretty sure youtube changed the api again which fucked all the foss youtube clients

0.15.0 is in the repo already. Just DL it now.

thanks user

anyone good with VHS capture?

diamondmm.com/product/diamond-vc500-one-touch-video-capture-edit-stream/

This is the device I am using. I have about a dozen old family videos I'm trying to digitize.

The software gives many options for video format. I tried MPEG4 and it recorded the video fine but only grabbed the latter half of the audio track for some reason.

Should I be using a different format? I can choose from:

VCD

S-VCD

DVD (maybe means VOB?)

AVI

WMV

MP4

input formats are NTSC_M or NTSC_M_J

Any good brands of thermal adhesive?

Youtube changed how a few background things work breaking some stuff.
Yotube-dl and Newpipe already fixed it with new releases.

Does Lutris automatically use dxvk or do I have to install it myself?

There's a little checkbox in the settings to use it.

I'm backing up 4TB of data and it isn't not telling me the speed it's going at.
It looks like it's going to take about 4 days, so how many MBps would that be? I'm too tired to calculate it, but it's probably not USB 3.0 speeds.

I use WebTube from F-droid for this.

are you retarded

Attached: s.png (632x215, 10K)

dude, just use taskman to see what the speeds are.

Attached: 2019-01-20 18_38_39-_g_ - _sqt_ - Stupid Questions Thread - Technology - 4chan.png (656x371, 17K)

rude
i didn't know google did terabyte/day conversion

Yoyo is it a gpu problem if my pc gets fucked(the screen goes black and I need to restart it) or can it be a psu thing?
Gpu:xfx rx 460 (almost 2 years old)
Psu: Evga b3, 80+ Bronze 550w
The fuckiness happens when in most games I try to pen or change settings on.

Bump.

When I was torrenting tonight my free trial VPN unexpectedly ran out even though it says I had some monthly data left, and my torrent was still downloading for a few seconds before I stopped it. My ISP has already sent a letter and throttled my connection once before.

What are the possibilities I get caught even though it was downloading for a few seconds without a VPN? Can they only get my IP while downloading/seeding or is it download history of the torrent?

MS paint spray can

are traps gay?

Being attracted to traps knowing they have a dick is in fact gay. QED

Is it possible to replace a 200mm fan with a smaller one? I have a HAF 922 and the front fan is fairly loud, even in low settings. I rarely do anything that puts a heavy strain on my PC so I don't think heat will be a problem.

What is the best, most complete DE to use? I'm sick of tiling window managers, I want to go back to a traditional desktop environment. Which should I use?

IINA Has being acting weird since the last week, it stopped showing subtitles. When I use VLC it works correctly so I guess IINA is having trouble recognizing the embedded subtitles, this also happened a few months ago but restarting the program would usually fix it, I really have no idea where to start.
Already updated IINA and still the same problem, but now with a prettier interface

That's not a question technology can answer

Hellmman's, but some people swear on Kewpie

Attached: Capture d’écran 2019-01-20 à 20.20.14.png (1366x768, 1.47M)

What can I use do download only part of a youtube video?
I'm trying to get one song from a 9 hour video.
I usually use jdownloader2 but I don't see an option to download between timestamps.

Attached: 22025187.jpg (320x240, 25K)

youtube-dl and ffmpeg used in tandem can do this.

VLC's "Streaming/Exporting Wizard" seems to have that function

I remembered what I used before jdownloader2
"onlinevideoconverter" com

How do I make good webms? I was told to download webm for retards converter, and almost everything I've tried comes out horribly low quality.
Pic related, this isn't as bad as some of the others I've tried, but it's still grainy as fuck, mostly noticeable when the guy stands up.

Attached: 1539236078618.png (186x160, 30K)

I remember once screenrecording a video because I was too autistic to just steam it

I posted the wrong image.

Attached: Example.webm (1920x1080, 2.78M)

I think your problem is that that is a .png and not a .webm

Make is smaller resolution.

Smaller resolution, give it some breathing room to the quality does not drop once you get a lot of movement

Got it, just to clarify, smaller res doesn't just mean resizing, right?

It means to resize it to have smaller dimensions (in px), the file-size can stay the same

You can also up the bitrate but that will give you a bigger file-size

You want to replace it with a larger one to reduce noise.

This is bretty gud for Jow Forums standards.

Is the low pass filter used in the Fraunhofer AAC codec a brick wall sinc filter or is a more conventional with a -20dB/decade roll off?

Gay pedophile furfags OUT

is there a way to create video file thumnails like this with ffmpeg in a script? would love to just do an entire folder instead of doing it manually for each film

Attached: tears_of_steel_1080p.webm_thumbs.jpg (1200x1570, 713K)

How do you ask a person if you can check their computer for errors or malware without making it seem you're accusing them of anything?

Currently in a new place with a roommate but the current internet connection is extremely unstable (its own problem but taking care of it). Besides getting this fixed, I've also noticed the bandwidth/DL takes a massive nose dive when they get settled in from coming home and into the night. They're also technophobic but do have a laptop and of course their cell phone.

Intuition says their shit is compromised to all hell at best, or they're downloading everything under the sun at worst (and can include the first scenario on top of that). Just I've dealt with this situation so much that it usually leads to meltdowns so I'm wondering if any of y'all have advice to not calling idiots "iditios" even when you're being extremely polite.

Will give some context though.

>DSL modem
>40Mbps max
>does this but connection is extremely unstable, not between modem and comps/cells but between modem and anywhere else
>convinced landlord to upgrade, they will and ISP doing it for free and replacing modem. I'll support any costs thought if needed although I'm already breathing down the ISP's neck.
>suspecting roommate on network hog issue
>Just buying a router to improve any range and connection issue
>Planning on Throttling but don't want to have to do this but fuck young stupid college students.

in order to learn networking (and server management), i have been trying to run a minecraft server
>inb4 >>>v this about about the tech, not about the game

i have installed mineOS turnkey version on an old pc (i5 2nd gen with 8GB RAM).
my family and friends play from their homes on this machine.
when i’m home on the same network i can play via LAN or via IP.
i can play via IP when i’m not home.
i can use my local IP to get to the admin console/web-ui
10.0.0.182:8443/admin/index.html
but i need help figuring out how to access the same from another network (across town)
i have tried to append the server’s IP with :8443/admin/index.html
XX.XX.XX.XX:8443/admin/index.html
i have tried to append the server’s IP with .182:8443/admin/index.html
XX.XX.XX.XX.182:8443/admin/index.html
pic unrelated

Attached: 47322759_2218738294817683_4993492831331942400_n.jpg (540x960, 34K)

Brainlet here, anyone know why my artist images aren't being downloaded? The option is turned on in the songs but for some reason it won't add any

Attached: Screenshot_20190121-074808_Retro Music.jpg (1080x3365, 248K)

In the settings* I'm using Retro Music Player btw

Suggestion for home router?

staples.com/netgear-nighthawk-ac2100-smart-wifi-router-ac2100/product_24364773?akamai-feo=off at $80

amazon.com/NETGEAR-R6700-Nighthawk-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00R2AZLD2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1548050970&sr=1-2&keywords=Nighthawk AC2100 also at $80 but seems like its worse?

I just use/suggest wired whenever but looking to get a router with AC1200 to use. Anything above that seems overkill but I'm seeing lots of bad reviews of the current models that use that specifically, including faults.

ffmpeg snap shots -> imagemagick montage

(blogposting, not a question)
hmm, I don't remember doing anything in the past 24 hours to cause a spike in differential increase

Attached: differential backups.png (417x211, 28K)

Why isnt my steam working?

I had no problem before it just stopped working
Before when I had problems I just ended task bootstrapper and steam opened. But now when I do that steam wont still open and bootrapper just comes back in taskmenu

I tried reinstalling steam

Attached: copy.jpg (708x718, 141K)

i want to hover over an element in css and make it alter the styling of itself and another element by id. how could I do this with javascript?

Is there a way to use the Linux "mode" on my Chromebook to squeeze more performance out of it?

Hey Jow Forums
on my phone, I have some ads on the screen. Is there a way to determine what it is and or where they are coming from? I'm looking into my apps and shit and I can't find it. Any ideas?

pastebin.com/tGujsLAt (mostly for the links)
github.com/Kagami/webm.py/wiki (for in-depth infos)
But don't expect any miracles. VP8 is a shitty codec. There's only so much you can do with it.

Hello Jow Forums!
When subbing movies, is there a script/program that identifies audio to text?
I.E run the .dts file and it outputs subtitles by recognition.

On 4chanX, how can you tell which filter is hiding a particular post? Without having to check each on individually?

I have 1TB of unordered text files. What is the best way to index these files for quick searching? Will ElasticSearch handle non-JSON data I dump on it?

Attached: bigstock_big_data.png (620x349, 118K)

lmao no, its ir

I'm new to Jow Forums, and I need help deciding on a laptop. I'm 18, I start college in a few weeks after taking a semester off. I've heard a lot about Thinkpads, but I'm not sure if they're for me, I was hoping to get your input.

I'd like something with decent storage capacity, quick, and with good battery life. I know it's impossible for things to be future proof, but I'd like something that will last me quite a while. I have around $1200 to spend on a laptop, and ideally, I'd like something brand new.

Is there any reason to put a single file in a tarball before compressing it or can I just use xz on the file itself?

I'm having SPDY errors and cannot post with my phone, no matter if it's a browser or an app like Clover. Anyone else have this issue? My phone is running stock Android Pie.

some x1 or xps, you realy dont need a laptop for cs, or virtually any uni course

where? what apps? home screen? you can check network usage, but depends on the phone model as well, might be baked in.

say youre doing network tests, turn their devices off, see if it makes any difference. then say you suspect their devices might be compromised / you want to see if you can speed it up for them (depending on their emotional response type)

JQuery?

When you say "shitty", are we to assume it's not a Smart TV? Because if it is a network-connected TV then you may have more options than you think.

Consider setting up something like Pihole or any other DNS blacklister, it might help with at least some of the requests to known shit servers.

Maybe if you have some weird metadata/permissions requirement to preserve.

T480 (A485 if you're antisemitic) is a decent choice. Tbqh students don't demand much from their machines apart from battery time. Here is a review of that machine from the queen:
youtube.com/watch?v=puJewEKS_1Y

tar stores more meta-data (UNIX permissions etc.) than gzip/xz. Just use 7z

What's the point of core i7 cpus over i5?
when does hyper threading really shines?
The only practical use i can ind is compiling software.
maybe integrated graphics but it is nil if you have a gpu
For numerical computations (e.g simulations) it is advised to disable it.

Now I can post fine without error, but only when I connect to wifi 2.4GHz, not 5GHz.

What the fuck could cause this kind of issue?

What's a good and cheap VPN for general security on public hotspots and whatnot?

>What's the point of core i7 cpus over i5?
more cores, no other reason. i think some new models dont have ht, so more threads as well
>when does hyper threading really shines?
parallel computing; big data sets, some games
>The only practical use i can ind is compiling software.
rendering as well, hugely multithreaded, which is why gpus are so good at it
>maybe integrated graphics but it is nil if you have a gpu
what
>For numerical computations (e.g simulations) it is advised to disable it.
yes, in certain cases

I messed with my i3 styling a while back, and one week later I started up to these weird borders appearing in every bash window. Does anyone know what could have caused this?

Attached: strange borders.png (283x568, 117K)

>what
I meant if the graphics are handled by a discrete GPU, there's not much interest in choosing a CPU on its ability to handle graphics. I think that's why some people chose core i7 for laptop CPU. Or maybe it's just because 7 > 5 so "more bigger, more better".

>I meant if the graphics are handled by a discrete GPU, there's not much interest in choosing a CPU on its ability to handle graphics. I think that's why some people chose core i7 for laptop CPU. Or maybe it's just because 7 > 5 so "more bigger, more better".
well sort of. theres niche cases where youll want to weight both up, but you dont need to bother with them.

also celeron up to i7 all have the same igpu, for laptops an i7=/= a desktop i7 a lot of the time, its more akin to an i5 for most cases. but even then the i5 is almost always the good choice. i say amds offererings are pretty sweet right now

border pixel 1
run it?

>bought item off ebay
>it was advertised as 'like new'
>it's not like new at all
What do I do now? Just leave negative feedback? Demand a return/refund? All of the above?

How do I get cron to copy my image folder over to a local sftp server?

Demand a return/refund and if they refuse to do anything about it then leave negative feedback stating description inaccuracy.

Some recommendations for a laptop dock would be appreciated! Ive been looking around for a few weeks and have read a lot of disappointing reviews but i feel like the consumers are just derpy and doing something wrong.

I need a hub with 2 display ports and 3 usbs- this basically covers what i want to use it for and its aiming pretty low.
Ive found many but here is my weird situation.

My laptop has usbc and can work with anything but my moms laptop only has thunderbolt 2 mini display port and my desktop has neither. My mom only browses the web so i was wondering if a usbc to thunderbolt adapter would solve that situation. I might just retire my desktop after 10 faithful years although it would be nice to keep it around. I just hate getting the hdmis and usbs out and swapping shit around all the time.

You guys use docks? How do you feel about them?

thanks, sucks i'll probably have to pay postage to ship it back

An algorithm with time complexity O(f(n)) and processing time T(n) = cf(n), where f(n) is a known function of n, spends 10 seconds to process 1000 data items. How much time will be spent to process 100,000 data items if f(n) = n and f(n) = n^3 ?

If I activated ltsb with hwid and then linked that to my ms account. If I install say Education or Pro would my ms account then activate that?

If I post a song on youtube and it gets content IDd, do they tell you exactly what song it is?
Could be a good way to find the names of songs you don't know.

Attached: 42668148.png (358x278, 5K)

Pretty sure they only mention the copyright holding company. Also, they'd blacklist you in a minute. Also your account would get banned.
Why not just use Shazam like a normal human?

Isn't he allowed a second strike (ban on third) within 90 days of of the first?

Nigga that doesn't make sense, try again.
O wait am I being baided?

Just reread, that's two different questions huh? I need to go to bed.

you get three strikes, but demonetization doesnt work the same way