If he wasn't mentally ill would he have made significant contributions as a programmer?

If he wasn't mentally ill would he have made significant contributions as a programmer?

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 7K)

implying he didn't... he wrote his own compiler you amateur. That's what separates him from you.

He was a subpar programmer at best. Given 11 years full time, any computer science graduate could build a compiler and operating system.

He did work for TicketMaster in 1990. I don't know what exactly he did for them but he was party to writing their compiler and he later wrote his own for TempleOS. No doubt he was a highly intelligent programmer, he created his own programming language (arguably HolyC is just a fork of C but he made actual substantial changes that I'm not good enough at programming to explain adequately).

Writing your own compiler isn't a significant contribution to computer science. That has been done many times before. There are fucking undergraduate level textbooks on how to do that.

tell that to the GNU foundation

no

What?
Hurd and the corelibs is far more complex than TempleOS.

what’s impressive is that he fit the whole os into 2mb

>complexity is a good thing

no it isn't but protected mode and networking is

intended to be a throwback to com64
learning and tinkering

and made it 64 bit as well.

>contributions
Piss off tranny

Attached: fat_retarded_pedo.jpg (3456x5184, 3.41M)

networking is
btfo

He also was making satellite control systems and made a metal 3d printer in the 90s, but he got mentally ill before either panned out.

great and highly smart people are oftentimes at least slightly crazy. john nash comes to mind

How can one make a 'significant contribution' as a programmer? You are literally using things that have already been discovered to build other things that can be built without you anyway. I mean, even a hypothetical genius-level programmer can be replaced with a skilled team. If you have a bright idea it is not a 'programming' contribution. If you make something new it is likely some mathematical contribution ans so on.

thousands and thousands of people use his software every fucking day. Have been for over 30 years.

One could argue he did all that he did perhaps as a result of his mental illness. Without it, maybe he would have flown under the radar his whole life and never done much beyond occupation.

Without it he would have flown under the radar. But he'd also be a CEO of Ticketmaster, be swimming in money, be a grandfather or soon would be and above all, be still alive.

I'd disagree. Case in point all the shit John Carmack of ID software pulled off with their engine in the 90s and 2000s.

That's not a contribution to the field in any way.
People already knew Compilers and Operating Systems could be written from scratch before Terry came along.

Not to science or anything wasn't into that.

Before he went insane he held a senior dev spot that paid pretty well and he had a masters degree in electrical engineering. He would've made plenty of money to live a very comfortable life working in senior development in IT.

why didn't he get treatment? he had a family, they could've sent him to a mental hospital instead of dealing with his bs at home. he actually was sent to a mental hospital after getting arrested or smt right? why did they let him off that time?

The system is broken as fuck and doesn't have the legal or financial means to take adequate care and follow up properly on most such cases.
As for his family, maybe there was only so much they could do until things became too much of a burden. Sometimes, for the sake of your own mental health and the other people you care about, you have to let go. I can't imagine Terry was easy to deal or bargain with, seeing how intelligent and demented he was.

How was he mentally ill? It's already public knowledge that the CIA is experimenting on its own citizens with all manner of new technologies.

Americlaps can't afford healthcare silly

Countless people write their own compilers. It's a common student project.

So much suffering because of those tools.
That's a very inconsiderate question.

mental hospital isn't treatment it's basically prision you stupid fuck
you can't just "get treatment" for being schizo
it's drugs that turn you into a zombie or nothing

God level

I did, I forked GCC and added
printf("hi this is michaels compiler");

to a few functions

Attached: templeos.jpg (523x392, 42K)

His software has been either rewritten or grown threefold from contributions. So no, nobody uses his software.

Casual reminder that there is no such thing as a mental illness, he was simply too intelligent for the sheeple around him.

Attached: misc 1173.jpg (500x500, 45K)

He wasn't intelligent enough not to live in a van and kill himself.

that's what a lowiq nigger would say

tfw literally too smart to write my own compiler

Smart people are often the most depressed user. Imagine being surrounded by what are essentially animals all day long.

>terry: dead
>animals: alive
The absolute state

Yes imagine being in such a place.
>Jow Forums
>america
>china

Sure kiddo. Schizophrenia is just an attitude.

Attached: 2019-01-21-123351_116x231.png (116x231, 48K)

That's right. Brain malfucntions certainly do exist but not to the extent psychiatrists would have you believe. Schizoprenia could be the result of a highly sensitized brain resulting from high IQ levels or it could simply be an idiot that can't distinguish his inner monologue from the voice of god. It is definitely not a pathogen.

>high IQ
Look at MRI brainscans. Schizos literally have badly wired brains

There is no proof that Schizoprenia is the cause and not just a sympton. Besides you don't need a brain scan to be labelled mentally ill and usually you wouldn't get one before being prescriped medication anyway.

>Schizophrenia could be
>could be
Yeah. If you want it to.

Attached: 1547998249286.jpg (1067x800, 211K)

You only need to meet certain behavioural criteria to be labeled Schizoprenic.
There doesn't really need to be a biological basis at all and more often than not there isn't any.

>cause and not just a symptom
As long as schizos reliably show the same patterns in brain scans, it doesn't matter. These people do not function correctly.

You sound like the Charlie Zelenoff of internet debate. Schizophrenia is a real disease. It don't care about what you think it is or isn't. It's even provable with MRI scans, although not always.

>You only need to meet certain behavioural criteria to be labeled Schizoprenic.
[citation needed]
I call bullshit on that but whatever.
>There doesn't need to be a biological basis
Clusterfucked. What does that even mean?

There is no such thing as a disease of the mind user, and if you can't prove Schizoprenia has a biological foundation, which you can't, then it doesn't exist.

>There is no such thing as a disease of the mind
what?

>There is no such thing as a disease of the mind user.
There is. I don't know what your angle is but schizophrenia is real.

>and if you can't prove Schizoprenia has a biological foundation, which you can't, then it doesn't exist.
What's the name of this fallacy? I'm sure it has a name. Ignorance? Is the existence of schizophrenia falsifiable?

Again, you don't need an MRI scan to be labeled mentally ill. Terry never got his brain checked for example. Telling somebody they have a brain disease because they don't conform to behavioral norms is psuedoscience, which is what psychologists do today.

Okay can you debunk MRI scans for me real quick?

And on the other hand, you have statistics that say Terry most likely (90-ish percent from my calculations) would have shown the same schizo patterns as anyone else.

>peudoscience
If he talks, looks, smells, and acts like a schizo, then he is a schizo. That's the net result. If he was pretending, then fuck him, shouldn't have pretended.

Dude. I can label you anything I want. I can label myself anything I want. Does that mean I actually AM whatever label is applied? NO! You need to get your head out of your black hole and ask yourself - WHAT IS SCHIZOPHRENIA?

There is -no- proof that Schizoprenia exists as an actual pathogen of the brain, like depression, it's just an identifiable pattern of behavior or thought. Psychology is what Astrology is to Astronomy.

Okay but can you debunk MRI scans for me real quick?

>There is -no- proof that Schizoprenia exists as an actual pathogen of the brain,
There is. Not so with depression. But schizophrenia, yes.

Attached: Venkatasubramanian-Image-2--621x414.jpg (621x414, 40K)

Schizoprenia is when you meet the behavioral criteria outlined in the DSM-5. There are no physical tests like there are for actual diseases and if you ask for one your Doctor will call you a looney.

>This book states
>appeal to authority

Okay Charlie

Attached: 2019-01-21-130648_352x349.png (352x349, 113K)

>There are no physical tests
Maybe to do with the fact that schizophrenia is a MENTAL disease? I don't know.... Just a thot.

>books are appeal to authority
No, it's just that you haven't reached the first freddy krueger peak yet.

I had a dream last night Terry came back and killed himself again.

Again, you don't need a scan to be labeled Schizoprenic. Usually the imbalances seen in that picture are caused by the medications themselves which would have been prescribed before the tests.

I'm a total retard. But I'm married to a schizo. I know what I'm talking about. You're just trying to get replies and literally NOTHING anyone says will make you change your mind. Like Charly Z, you are what's called a troll.

Would god have told him to build a temple if he wasn't skitz? He probably would've been a regular 9 to 5 software engineer complaining about poos

No such thing user. Being gay was also considered a disease of the mind scant a few decades ago. Wrongthink is not a pathogen.

>Usually
Source? Or is it just a crazy coincidences people start taking medication after they're diagnosed (and potentially scanned)?

He probably would have been the owner or some company based off of Ticketmaster and be loaded, have a wife and children. He'd be well off like his folks. And probably haven't to deal with pajeets.

Fuck off kike.

Nobody is scanned for Schizoprenia user, as you can't physically prove the existence of a mental illness, the scans follow the diagnosis which is prescribed if you meet the behavioral criteria. There is no physical evidence needed for a diagnosis and if running around naked in public screaming about aliens is the symptom of a disease then call me a Doctor.

Attached: misc 0902.jpg (219x205, 76K)

Okay so can you debunk MRI scans for me real quick?

who cares, his illness is what made him terry as we know him. if he didn't believe that the OS was the third temple and specifications were given by god, nobody on Jow Forums would even notice him.

R.I.P.

Attached: 1548034192960.webm (1920x1080, 2.06M)

It's sad anons idolise sick and/or twisted people. There are greater men who have achieved more.

boring.

The people tested for statistical purposes are diagnosed Schizoprenics on intense medication that alter brain function, which is the exact problem they were looking for in the first place.

If anecdotal evidence will do, I'm a diagnosed Paranoid Schizoprenic and have actually gotten a scan commisioned which showed no abnormalities in brain function, partly because I've refused any such medication.

Attached: misc 0960.jpg (640x480, 73K)

Where's the proof of this claim. And what about people who are scanned previous to heavy medication?

just because you can't prove it physically exists doesn't mean it's not real

>boring.
You mean adequate, expected, normal, etc. Hard work is boring and that's why we respect people who do it.
Some basement dweller wrote crappy non-working software - that is an empty showcase.

>implying that Terry didn't add networking to TempleOS because he was a brainlet

If you can find such a test then be my guest. I don't know of any. Scanning people for physical evidence is not the norm anyhow.

Attached: misc 2083.jpg (1280x720, 126K)

That's interesting, because I'm asking you for such evidence since you know a lor more than me on this topique.

>You literally can't prove the existence the existence of Santa but that doesn't mean he don't real.

you can prove Santa isn't real by staying up at Christmas

Who cares, I just want to see new videos of Terry doing what Terry does. Sometimes he seemed so happy in his videos. ;_;

The only thing that proves is that you were a bad boy this year user. Santa is real.

Most programmers don't make significant contributions to the world as a whole. 99% of software is useless bullshit.

>99% of software is useless bullshit.
Probably, if you include open source, malware, and exercise code. Not the case with professional code that earns cash money.

Writing your own compiler isn't anything amazing. I've written my own C compiler. If you want to write your own operating system, then osdev wiki has you covered. It's easy until you start implementing filesystems, memory management, scheduling, and networking.

What's amazing is that Terry spent all this time on something that is such a waste of time. It's 100k lines he wrote or something. Only a (literal) mad man could do it, that's why he's infamous and why TempleOS is a beautiful creation.

Hold on a fucking second, does TempleOS not enter 32-bit protected mode? As in, it stays 16-bit? Holy goddamn shit, Terry, you son of a bitch.

For example, all video games are useless.

No, why? They make millions in tax money and serve as excellent incubators for programmers - short-deadline, high-energy environments where experimenting and optimising are encouraged.
Unlike operating system and kernel code which is the epitome of CRUD. Zero imagination or interesting algorithms there, just make it not crash and somewhat secure. Wooow.

>Jow Forums newbabs already blaspheming Terry
Is nothing sacred

>Hold on a fucking second, does TempleOS not enter 32-bit protected mode? As in, it stays 16-bit? Holy goddamn shit, Terry, you son of a bitch.
he says it's a 64 bit operating system literally in every video faget. it doesn't use protection because it's ring0 only, it doesn't mean OS works on 16 bit real mode.

>ring0 only
The absolute state of amateur OSs

Fucking disgusting
Post that again and I'll report you