Should I use any of the fancy text editors ? I've only ever done stuff in notepad. What do they offer?

Should I use any of the fancy text editors ? I've only ever done stuff in notepad. What do they offer?

Vim...emacs...joe, etc.

Attached: casual.jpg (1600x1052, 1.33M)

Other urls found in this thread:

tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb11-3/tb29greene.pdf
web.archive.org/web/20160110102145/http://en.literateprograms.org/Turing_machine_simulator_(LaTeX)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Try them out and draw your own conclusions. Don't listen to Jow Forums autism.

>Switching from professional Microsoft software to hobbyist shit

Alright I'll try neovim.

I used to code in notepad but it's retarded, use any jetbrains IDE

I like emacs the most

Attached: image.jpg (349x407, 128K)

That's a good gateway to real vim

They all offer better formatting. I personally use Notepad++

you should learn both vi an emacs

each one is crystallization of deep principles

basically, vim is a set of keybindings to simple regular expressions and emacs is a lisp interpreter which has mappings of keys to lisp functions.

each emacs session is a *program".

Ctrl-h k x (where x is any key) until enlightment

of course plebs don't get it

autism is narrowed down high intelligence, faggot, while you have nothing but a fucking cosplay of supposedly high IQ

kys

Based teenposter

No other editor in existence can do multiple selection from a ctrl-f find command, other than sublime text 3. Sublime can also easily allow multiple selection. Emacs asks for your first born child in order to get multiple selection, vim asks for your soul for multiple selection (and still cant give you it because vim blows cock), notedpad++requires blood sacrifice to get multiple selection. All are shit, sublime is best by far.

>not using ed

farmanager

Attached: 8QUEENS_SCRIPTBASIC.png (556x504, 21K)

It honestly depends on your workflow. I prefer to use a terminal for everything related to programming, so it's easier to use something like vim to edit files, but if I'm writing prose I prefer something graphical. If you have to force yourself to use it when you prefer something else, then you shouldn't use it, I say. All the shiny editor bells and whistles are mostly bloat if you don't use it.

I use webstorm for react/js apps, phpstorm for drupal/symfony projects and vscode for whatever else.

Note that i am a webdev though.

Holy shit, I thought Lua was supposed to be easy.

coding in an any IDE is the worst thing for someone just starting out

every little program you want to make is
>new project
>bunch of configuration crap
>directory with project files for every small program
>bunch of subfolders for every crap
>changing flags is a pain the in the ass
>something like 5MB to 10MB of just project files
Jesus no.

No.

Attached: autism.png (985x485, 195K)

>tfw CS student and all my shit is notepad and gedit

Why? What benefit is there

Mainly modal editing and the ability to extend the editor through plugins. Good shortcuts like "go to end of line, move forward 3 words" etc. Worth it if you write a lot of code, pointless if you don't.

Op here I don't know how to program I just feel pressured to learn a text editor before I even start programming and maybe I should use something other than word to write prose in

The only text editors I've actually seen people that aren't autists use are:
>Notepad++ (Windows)
>gedit (Linux)
>VS Code
>nano (if they need to edit something whilst in the terminal)
>vi (as a last resort if they ssh into a box with nothing else installed or if they need to edit large text files such as logs)

It can't be true

Just learn LaTeX then. It’s a tool to help you write and manage documents that look professional, without you having to take a typography or typesetting class.
This comes very handy when you want to make changes without fucking the formatting/layout and without having to intervene manually to preserve formatting.

It’s a useful skill and you can use it for anything: letters, CV, prose, essays, etc.
Not a steep learning curve either.

Try notepad2-mod, I like it.

Is that a Turing complete language

full text editor give syntax highlighting, code formatting, faster text manipulation (editing multiple lines at a time), user made addons, etc.

It's a good idea to at least get notepad++/notepad2 then move on to VS Code/sublime/atom/vim/emac later when you know what full editors can provide.

Well, PostScript is turing complete and this so is LaTeX, if you use its expansion mechanisms in a clever way to produce macros and through those do the actual programming.

There even exists a BASIC interpreter written in LaTeX.
>tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb11-3/tb29greene.pdf

Also you can write a Turing machine emulator/simulator in it:
>web.archive.org/web/20160110102145/http://en.literateprograms.org/Turing_machine_simulator_(LaTeX)

Why would you care about that though?
It’s extremely cumbersome and the only barely possible scenario to use it like that is if you’re super familiar and experienced with LaTeX extensions and you know no other programming languages.

I use vim. I decided to not take shortcuts and start with good habits, even though nano (for example) is much easier when you're a beginner.

I want to get that comfortable . I'd like to implement a lisp and then use that lisp to learn lisp and create a visual programming language.

Or maybe try to implement ruby in tex and then lisp in ruby

Insanity

Use nanotechnology

PhpStorm is the patricians choice

How

Recursion

This.

LaTeX is one of the most inflexible things when used for programming, and lisp is *the* most flexible language created, by a long margin.
So implementing lisp in TeX sounds really Herculean.

But it’s your time user, and you’ll surely learn a lot by even attempting it.

I've never programmed before .

What's so bad about trying to do it in either latex or lout

I wish I knew where to start with hacking up latex

What is the default font in notepad? And is there any way I can get it for muh loonix?

High

latex is hardly a fucking programming language you dipshit it's used for typesetting

same as with cardio exercises

only for intellect

>my text editor makes me more intelligent
Listen to yourself . Maybe vaguely in the sense that learning anything does but there are many more important things to dedicated time to than a text editor.

Based Winshills completely avoiding emacs. We don’t want you fouling up our perfect editor/os with your foul rubbish programs.

You can implement a Universal Turing Machine in Latex.

Attached: 11CB75EE-0D2E-4150-8A96-90D1A39306AC.jpg (852x480, 118K)

Just do everything in a zalgo generator

Emacs really sucks at three things:
1. Noob friendliness. Unless you get spacemacs, the default out of the box configuration doesn't have very many fancy features. The tutorial is okay but Emacs kind of sucks without enabling melpa.
2. elisp evolves at a slow pace and in general sucks. Type errors are plentiful in elisp. No concurrency in elisp. It seems a lot of emacs code isn't even written functionally. It is written procedurally and littered with global variables.
3. Speed. When loading some of the more complicated IDE-like modes emacs can stall for a few seconds. Also when you edit a file with a really long line (e.g. minified JavaScript) emacs slows to a crawl. Apparently there is a script that can mitigate this but it is not out of the box.

I use emacs as I find it more extensible than vim. I'm just saying it isn't without flaws.

P̵̨̛̛̯̼̺̟̭͉̭̣̘̬̠̻̞̺̫͂̐̎̓̀̈̿̋̓̋́̿̽̆͆̍̌̄̍̍̂́͊͑̽̎̉͆̔̍̇̋̈̔̐̃͒̒́̓̿̽̆̆͑͋̓̆̄̈̌̈́̈́͐̈́̈̑͌͘͘̕̚͘̕̕͘̕̕͘̕͝͝ȓ̵̡̧̡̦͇̜̣̹̩̬̺̱̜̰͉͓̪̘͕̈̉͂̒̓̔̓̑͋͑͑̽́̚̚͜͝͝i̴̡̨̧̨̧̧̢̡͇͖̦͍̟͖̖̥̠̫̹̻̼̥̜̯̣̩̠͉͎̪̝̬͖̟͓̦̠͍̠̠̬̳̙̟̪̼͔͕͉͎͍̍̍͒̍̽̎́͑̾̋̎̈́̾̐͌̀̑͘̕͜͜͝ͅņ̵̡̨̛̛̛̛̝̠̳̻̞̹̠͉̟͙̥̪̱̣͓̼̳̤͉̖̣̫̪̥̦̪̳̥̞̗̻̜̘̜͇̯̼̭̺͚̫̞͉̻̞͈͙͔̯͉̮̺̖̖̫̃͆̔̌̄͒͛͆͌̐̃̀͊̒̌̾͋̿̒̂̾̌̇̀͋̇͗̇̓̂̃̉͑̆͂̿̿͌̾͛̔̓͊̆̾͒̽̄̍̾̒̈́̽̈́̿̕̚̕̚͘̚͘͜͝͝ͅͅt̴̢̢̨̢̧̨̧̡̢̛͕̮͉͇̙̮̭̳͙͉̫͚̜̳̞̫̠͈̻̖͚̹̫͈͙͚̮͙̼̯͔͙̩̝̣͓̦̳͓̪̘̱͐̽͊̃̈́̀̈͂̽̋͗̐͆̍́͐̃͐̌̈́̐́́̾͗̇̓́̒͗̇͑͌̌̓̇̊͗͊̂͗̽̍̾̏̇̉̈́̈̄̚̕͜͜͠͝͝͠͝ͅ(̷̧̡̡̧̡̢̡̢̨̢̛͎̱͖̜͚͉͓̤̻͚̣͉̦̫̪͈̘̘̞̞͓̖̣̙͓̜̖̠̭̰̹̙̩̺̻̻̫̹͕̻̻͚̯̰̠̼̣̟̟̰̞̱͇̺̱̩͇̼̹͗̇̓͆͑͗͊͂̓̌̇̾͆͜͜ͅͅ"̸̨̢̡̧̛̫̜̮̝̬͉̹̯̖̰̗̩̺̝̘̯̹̜̤̻͖̰̳̜̟̯̠̩̻̝̱͍̫̗̩̦͍̜̙̯̿̋̿́̓́͐̿̎́͐̎̈́̈̒̈́̈͘͘̕͝͠ͅͅͅͅH̵̨̡̨̧̛̳͚̳̼̰͔̥͚̘̦̭̬͔̱̜̰͖̪̬̞͔͕̝͇̻̰̠̝̞͈̮̻̭̦̞̬̠̞̳̠͕̹̑̃̉́͌͂͆̑͋̌̈͑̈́͌̍́̋̍̓̏͒̋̐̓̚͘͝͝͠͠ͅę̷̧̧̧̛͓͍͓͉̞̱͔̙̟̼̤̻͈̖̮̪͓̫͙̭̼̞̺͕̤͉̩̳̞͈͎̣̪͎̖̪̩͉̻͍̜͙̼̻̏̇͌͋̈́͑̓̎̉̇͊͒́̿̋̊̏̊̊͒̂͛̚͘̚͜͜͝͝ͅͅļ̶̧̡̡̧̢̢̛̛̛̞̘̼͍̤̫̩̺͈̮͓͔̒̃͗̄̌̈́̎͐̿̍̇̈͑̀̔̂͊̐̊̑̽̂̏̀̒̑̀́́̍̾̇̍̿͐̄̃͑͆̓̃̉̋͒̿̈́́̋͂̎͂̓̔́̒̚͘͠͝l̶̡̨̡̡̡̢̜͍̬̭̩̻͈̥̜̣̘͇̰͍͕̮̭̤̞̫̦̜͈̩͓͎͓̬͙̘̪̭̣̼̳͈͍̗͉̪͚̹̇͑͒̔̈́̎̐̈́̑̒̕̚͜͠͠ͅͅợ̶͑̍͂͊͛͂͐̀̾̿̃̔͐̿̏̈́̿̈́͌̉͊̑̊̀̒̌̔̽̒̓̐̑͂̀́́̿̇͆̈̐͂̎̈̿̄̑̌̉̄̀̑̕͘͘͘͠͝͠͝ ̸̡̢̢̢̨̢̛̱͈̥̺̙̥̮̼̯̹̫̖̻̗̳̥͔̦̳͖͍̮̮̝̣̟͓̰̰͈͎͔̯̞̏̒͑̑͊̀͗̀̂̐͐͛͆̿̂̈́́͌́́̏͂̿̔̏͂͐̇̓̓̃͌̃͐̄̋̏̎͌͑̇́̌͌̈́̐̍͐̓̀͗̍́͘̚̚̚͘̕͘͜͜͠͠͝͝͝͝͠͝w̵̡̡̢̨̡̛̬̘̫̜̺͚̝͈̗͍͚̱̖̜͙͙̩̺͈̬̜̬̼͙͍͉̻̺͇̼̙͙̮̳̝̭͖͔̺̣̥̤̮̮̭̝̗͔̣͎̭͔̙̬̮̭̱̝̌̀̈͗́̒̊͛̄͐̽́̈́͒͋̀̍́̂̾͛̚̕̚͝͠͠ͅơ̵̡̧̡̨̛̛̛̻̼̱̙̞̠̋̎̍͒͌́̔͐͛̌̔͂̎̾͛̆̇͌̾͋͂̂̑̔̆́̐͒̽͊̈͒͑͂̍̈́̿͒̇͊̽̒̽͂̍̒͌̀̈́̐̄̇̏͆͑́̈̈́̐̆̾̇̕̚̚̕̕͝͠ȑ̷̡̧̥̥͕̯̳̣̟̼̾̚̕l̸̡̛̛̺̻̘͕̘͚̰̙͖͙̺̗̻͉̗̞̤͚͉̗̮̮̤̣͍̩̼͖̦̹̳͎͎̬̭̤̝͎̦̼̬̱̟̘̣̱̓̋̈́͊́͊̽͛̓͐͐͑̐̀̆͌͊̍̒͆̑͗̆͋̓̌̒͌̀̐͂̉̀͑̔́̉͋̃͑͑̽͂́͛͋͗̓̆͗̈́͗̍̂̃͐̀̒̓̿̾̈́̆͋̈́̚̕̚͜͠͠͠͠͠ͅͅͅḑ̴̧̨̢̧̧̢̢̧̙̞̺̼̜̝̯̪̙̱͚͈̜͕̻̥͕̗̺̯̳̟͕̞̘̟̯͍̭̜̥̜̹͖͕͎̙̤̣͚͍̖͎͈̩̝̙̳̼͍̫̮̖͓̪̝̪̝̜̯̼͖̟̠̜́̏͊́͋͐͌̀̀̐̈̔̈́̆̃͛̂̓̏͆́̓̒͂̈́̀̂́̀́̑̐̕̕̚̕̕͜͝"̶̨̡̨̡̗̘̦̘̘̹̟͚͍̠̪̦̯͉̳̥̜̱̩͈̪̘̗̣̣̱͙͕̩̻̪̫̙͚̳̊͌͗̾̎͜͜͜͠ͅͅ)̷̡̢̨̧̨̧̧̨̢̛͕̖̪͈̯̭̥̱͓͔̫̺̭͉̮̪̹͈̫͇̭̫̗͔͇̭̝̥̦̗͇͚̻̠̳͙̥͇͔̺̭̻̰͖̼̩̦̥͖̤̠͚̺̟̪̜̝̱̤̙͙̤͖͕̋̂̒̒̓̆̈́̓͊̇̈̂̏̋̋̈́͐̍̂̔̂̆͋̀̀̋̒̇̿̏̓̋̒͑͗̈̌́̀͒̄͐̓̀͆̓͗͂͑̃̂͛̇͆̐̒͗̈͊̄̇̈̓͊́̄̀̄͗͘̕̕̕͝͝͝͠ͅ

Just a bunch of bullshit there user.

Boom