wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Iwd
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>god tier package manager
ftfy

guixsd is better .
100% linux libree freedoom.

Then it should let me install packages.

It will given the right formula. Why you say it bad manager?

You need a network connection to download packages. Boot from the install medium, chroot into the install and download wpa supplicant

I'm stuck in a loop of portage being unable to install wpa_supplicant because of certain keywords that have to be added to a file, after fixing that and trying again, it whines about adding other keywords to portange.accept_keywords.

This has got to be bait, no one can be this retarded.

>wpa_supplicant
Old broken shit. All of the cool kids use iwd now.

Then run dispatch-conf and press u

Attached: 2018-12-25-003637_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 1.02M)

Gentoo 101

It's called irony, I hope my post made you smile at least.
Only following the handbook like a good girl, sir.
Nothing happened?

We could probably help if you posted the portage error, you know

HURRR DURR I WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO BE RETARDED.
Fuck off you piece of shit atleast admit to being a retard instead of trying to pull this sort of coping mechanism.

>run this random command it'll fix everything

I hope this picture will suffice.
I never denied being a retard.

Attached: SAM_0376.jpg (1152x1728, 821K)

Now you know what "install gentoo" means lmao

You don't have to add keywords to accept_keywords except to install less stable software. And why would you want to do that at this point?

You have masked package dev-lang/perl. Unmask it. RTFM to find out how. Then you need to update /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords - this can be done automatically with dispatch-conf and pressing u for update. Run the install again and it "Should" work.

dispatch-conf

Even though I don't know why you already got a lot conflict on perl.

Because I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing, just thought I was following instructions on screen.
I don't know either.

Just install ubunbu. Then try it in a VM.

> Because I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing, just thought I was following instructions on screen.
Okay, I suggest doing dispatch-conf and then maybe emerge connman to handle your wireless networking rather than whatever else. No, that's not in the guide, it's just small, reliable and pretty easy to use.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/package.mask

Why would you use a vm if you have an old laptop to tinker with? It's much more fun. So far installing gentoo has been more fun and challenging than arch.

Alternatively, use iwd as the other user suggested: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Iwd

stop confusing this poor fella with your bad unrelated advice

Okay :-)
Unmask that package and do a dispatch-conf. Tell us what you get.

Captain.

>perl
root # emerge -uDNav --with-bdeps=y --backtrack=100 --autounmask-keep-masks=y @world
root # perl-cleaner --all

its the best package manager. just because you are tard and dont know hwo to use it doesnt mean its shit

It was a joke because I don't know how to use it yet thank you.

man pages and gentoo wiki and youll learn it fast

Attached: children drugs linux 61134c08.jpg (1113x1280, 228K)

That didn't work.

Portage protects config files from automatic changes. That promt "would you like to add these changes..? y" only makes a temp /etc/portage/.something_package.accept_keywords with the changes and you need to update that either with tools like etc-update or distpatch-conf (never used that myself) or manually to apply the changes.

Something like could get you out of this mess (assuming is not something silly you inadvertently put into one of the portages config files). There however shouldn't even be any need to unmask/keyword anything to get things working, so if it was me I would propably just start by emptying (or commenting out) your previous changes to accept_keywords and run
emerge -uDNav @world
followed by
perl-cleaner --all
and maybe even this for a good measure
revdep-rebuild -- -av

O fuck. What happened?

>Portage protects config files from automatic changes. That promt "would you like to add these changes..? y" only makes a temp /etc/portage/.something_package.accept_keywords with the changes and you need to update that either with tools like etc-update or distpatch-conf (never used that myself) or manually to apply the changes.
Except I got stuck in a loop of portage telling me I need changes, I apply changes, try to install the package again, portage telling me I need some other changes too.
Trying this now
Same stuff as before, needing changes for any random shit you could come up with.

If you're a newbie do NOT mix ~keyworded packages, seriously. Either stay stable amd64 or go ~amd64 system-wide. Especially with perl, it's pain in the ass as-it-is, you'll break shit if you start keywording single perl packages.

I'm pretty sure I broke it, can't I somehow return the state of that file as it was before? on x86 btw

Of course, you'll have to downgrade packages and undo the keywording. Gentoo autists will help you, especially if you ask on the Gentoo forums (or here too but there are too many retards feeding misinfo)

wtf I'm still at the install/configure phase, can't I just empty the file? idk replace it with the example on the wiki? wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/package.accept_keywords

I remember having this problem while just installing Gentoo. Workaround I discovered was to select your profile and go through with the world update. Afterwards, portage would unmask things according to that profile and you'd be able to emerge network related packages.

Attached: 1547790263291.jpg (900x1326, 542K)

>can't I somehow return the state of that file as it was before?
just remove every /etc/portage/package.something file/directory as they can be recreated later when needed. If you have profile set and nothing outrageous in your make.conf then
emerge -uDNav @world
will get your system to a sane state (few edge cases where you might need additional steps)

come on #gentoo in freenode

Thanks, I think this is gonna work. probably should do the two other steps in too. But at least it's compiling something now so that's good. I'll be back in 2 weeks after it's done compiling. -march=pentium-m

> distpatch-conf (never used that myself)
You maybe should try it. It's more comfy than etc-update. Lets you rollback changes and it doesn't ask you to re-apply updates that got irrelevant [whitespace, CVS timestamp shit, ...] / already applied changes.

user once you actually know what you're fucking doing those opinoins will change. back when I was 16 I installed gentoo and at first I had no clue what to do too but I learned on the way and it became second nature. I haven't used gentoo is a while but I'm still familiar with it.

>Welcome to my blog

Kill yourself.

I see no one appreciate my jokes, update: it just started compiling the 166th package.

Good that it's working. You can actually configure some stuff while it compiles, BTW.

Yeah I better not fuck up I'll just let it do its thing.

This user is correct, except at some point you will do it so much that you will tell it you require different versions of the same package, in which case you delete everything in the file and start over.

Hello Jow Forumsuys.

Also started installation today. Right now building fresh gcc in chroot to make first world rebuild according to just selected profile. wish me luck

>taking more than 10 hours to install Gentoo
Oh God you're so bad, just hang yourself.

with slow processor it takes hours to compile anything

He's probably never seen a single core processor before

Speaking of compiling, it spend 5 - 7 hours compiling, I just got back in the room and the laptop turned itself off. rip me I guess.

chrooting and back where we left off (I hope) I guess I'll run that command to compile all the stuff again.

There's a --resume portage flag to continue.

Oh well, It just picked up where it left off as it only needed 30 packages to compile, it used to be 262 and last time I checked it did about ~210. So I guess it just resumed.

goodnight boys and girls

should I go gentoo or slackware.
CentOS right now, I compile whatever is not in the repositories and make an rpm. Wondering about gentoo

Gentoo is imho the better distribution overall.
Portage makes compiling packages as easy as running a single command, and it's very stable. As long as you don't have a very old CPU, most packages actually don't take that long to compile, except for beasts such as Libreoffice, Firefox or Chromium.
I tried Slackware a few months ago, but I couldn't bring myself to like it. Manual dependency resolution just feels like needless work for no practical gain. Gentoo on the other hand makes customization very easy: the only "manual" parts are choosing your own USE flags, compiler flags, etc. (such a process of course can't be automated), while the boring stuff, such as build process and dependency resolution, is automated.

However, mind you: Gentoo is great, but it's not for everybody, and this is not meant to sound "superior" over others. If you just don't care about the additional customization and flexibility it provides, it's probably not the distribution for you. But if you do appreciate this stuff, you will be pleasantly surprised.