Rack mounted switch

/diy/ here. I wired my house with cat6a per your recommendation. What fanless rackmount gigabit switch should I buy? Unmamaged is fine.

I would think this would be easily answered by Googling, but all I get is referral link bullshit sites rather than reputable review sites.

Thanks for any advice

Attached: Netgear-Prosafe-GS524T-10-100-1000-Unmanaged-Gigabit-Rack-Mount-Switch-28648-p.jpg (400x216, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.ui.com/products/us-xg-6poe-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Copped this bad boye for 15€ including shipping on an eBay auction, with 24 ports JustInCase™
Just lurk various auctions on eBay for one on the cheap, it's dead simple

Attached: Nintendo Switch.jpg (3993x1591, 874K)

If I get a managed one is there generally a reset button on the back where it would cancel out any previous "management" done? or passwords or any of that stuff..

Cisco SG_350 should do the trick. Quiet and fanless until the higher port counts and poe

>Cisco SG_350
I see that for 350 dollars on amazon... anything cheaper?

that bend radius m8

HP ProCurve 2910al. The 24 port versions are pretty cheap on ebay. They are managed and EOL though if you care about that.

Absolutely, just get an sg300 off ebay. Make sure it's got the power adapter. It's and EOL model but the sg350 isn't very different, just moved the serial port up front. These switches rock, and it's worth having the management tools they do, even for Soho use.

Again, these come in PoE and non....

If I don't know how to use a managed switch and just want to make it "dumb" to start, is there some switch on the back of these things that resets them to factory default and makes them just act normal in case someone has previously managed it? I would hate to run into a problem where some port was set at 10Mbps or something and I can't figure it out a year down the road.

There should be. Atleast any switch i have ever worked with had that. A switch is not a laptop/fone that has muh secret data on it.

Yes, you can hard wipe it like that. And obviously make sure you get one with rack ears if that's your intent. A lot of ISPs use these as media converters, and I think many used ones get pulled without power or brackets coming back, just a heads up.

If the thing has a barrel jack a mising poweradapter is a non issue and can be bough for 20 bucks

OP you sound like a novice, you should probably just buy a dumbswitch new or used. You're going to end up with some old Cisco switch, with no rack ears, configured for some medical centers network, with no idea how to get it running right and waste almost 100 bucks.

You can get a TP Link gigabit unmanaged switch for under 100 bucks.

yikes

I'm surprised he doesn't have frames shooting right out the jacket of the cable at the tangent to the bend. Like fuck imagine taking a highway like that to work every morning God damn

>Unmamaged is fine
Just a small tip: you need a managed switch to do any kind of bonding. If you put a NAS next to it and you copy files between it and two computers at a time, as one example, then it's nice to have two gigabit connections between the NAS and the switch. It's not like you really need this but if you are looking to buy a used one it's not unpractical to get a managed one.

Bonding two ports doesn't double your speeds, btw, it's load-balancing meaning two devices can get gigabit speeds at the same time but one device can't get two gigabit.

If you're buying unmanaged then just get a new one. There's some cheaper Zyxel unamanged switches that cost $90 for 16 ports. If you find something unmanaged in that ballpark then go for it.

I'm a bit afraid to get a managed one used after what said. I'm not awful with computers, but I can't say I'd know how to login to a switch by console and set it to defaults and stuff. I could hard press a reset switch, but some of these I don't even see that, I just see things like serial ports on the back.

I could for sure get into a situation where I'm streaming a movie to my streaming box (I'll stream 4k UHD movies with Atmos soundtracks) while downloading large files at the same time. For sure I do that.

Since quite a few recommend that you go to ebay.. I advice you to check one minor little detail before you do: Power consumption.

Example: Cisco SGE2000 is a 24 port gigabit switch you'll commonly find. It's a nice switch overall, and it's managed in case you need that, and used ones are abundant and cheap. That switch has a fan and it consumes 90W and it eats that 90W regardless of what you plugged in.

The Zyxel GS1100-24E is among the cheaper unmanaged 24 port switches you can find that's rock solid stable and just fine. It's not managed, but it's fine. It's power consumption is 15W with all ports loaded, less if you're just using half it's ports.

While some won't care if it's 15W or 90W it is important to remember that a switch will probably be turned on permanently for years and years. Buying a used one may not be cheaper in the long run.

Interesting point, that's about $90 per year to run versus $13 loaded. It also looks like these Ciscos have fans, are they very loud?

>my house
you mean your banks house

I don't have a mortgage. It's a tiny two bedroom, second bedroom is the office. The advantage of being a wizard, I guess, is no roasties taking my money, kids to put through college, friends to waste money in clubs with, or much of any hobbies for that matter. Smallest house in the neighborhood.

Attached: 1509126697033.jpg (657x527, 38K)

tplink jetstream is good entry level stuff or checkout the mikrotik selection, they are low power and cheap. Spend more and you get POE. I'm looking for a new switch with 4 sfp+ cages but that shit gets pricey.

it’s called link aggregation or lan teaming not bonding.
yes it’s definitely good to have this option.
I use this on my pc and nas

and wifi AP

>Cisco
>loud
>yes

you can have 10G over ethernet now there is no need for sfp+ anymore
store.ui.com/products/us-xg-6poe-1