Why is my professor making me learn jQuery

Why is my professor making me learn jQuery

Attached: 4L_O1tXb8gq.jpg (400x388, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youmightnotneedjquery.com
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Fetch_API
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> be your professor
> BUT 50%+ OF THE TOP GAZZILLION WEBSITES USE IT! SO YOU MUST LEARN IT TOO!
your professor needs to be gassed. jquery is pretty fucking cancerous. let me guess.. your professor also has a neckbeard, fedora collection and is questionably emasculated?

memes aside
a lot of companies use it so it will help you get a job

>jquery is pretty fucking cancerous
enjoy your cross browser compatibility issues, faggot.

Because he doesn't know anything else

Because he's a fucking ass

Because boomers are ignorant but also too lazy to learn things so they'll make you learn useless information

Because setting up cross-platform ajax calls manually is tedious, and realistically in industry you'll have to use whatever library your company uses, so he decided he may as well save everybody some fucking time. If you get triggered by language selection you won't be able to survive as a professional software developer.

what's problem with jquery?

> muh grandpa, pet.com, windows xp, myspace etc

I want to go to school but keep reading stuff like this.

Attached: 1499973028324.jpg (447x444, 37K)

>learn jQuery
you can "learn" it in ~30 minutes, what's the problem?

I refuse to work with gimmick "technologies" on CRUD apps and invasive JS spying social media fads. I simply want to write pure C with makefiles like the good old days.

> cross browser compatibilities
ahahAHAHAHAHAHahhaha.

Jquery is a great solution when you only have a simple HTML page. Anything more complex and you should use React or Angular.

OK so then your complaint is learning any web front-end at all?

>cross-platform ajax calls manually
what do you mean

To be honest I haven't written webshit since 2009 or 2010, but back then there was a chunk of nested if statements that you had to make a large nested if statement to get ajax calls to work in vanilla javascript, but just do something like $.ajax() in jquery. That and a few other pieces of syntactic sugar are why I remember it being more pleasant to use jquery than vanilla javascript.

No problem. Just be a linux developer and do it for free. You might make some more then internet janitors with some donations.

Attached: arch users.jpg (383x400, 16K)

You can become a full time embedded / systems developer, companies like Qualcomm put up job postings for Linux devs and Embedded devs all the time. Some are even remote.

If you can't copy with one class with one language you don't like, you deserve to fail in life.

dude you know you can create your own abstractions right?

Most kernel developers are paid. Linus is a millionaire.

>go into debt and waste 4+ years of your life to learn utter garbage with only a minute amount of it worthwhile
>that worthwhile part being the maths and algorithms which you can simply learn on your own within a few months, skipping the entirety of 4 years of bullshit
>but without a piece of paper, the self-taught knowledge is worth less than learning java in college
You have to take an "Intro to Operating Systems" course to complete your credits over here. That's not a development course, that's a userspace course that basically teaches you what a terminal and Linux is. Granted this is important to learn for the smartphone generation, but it's ridiculous nonetheless.

Sure, and I've done that as well. But OP's professor probably has two or three classes, each with 50+ students, many of whom have apparently never come across jquery before.
He (or his overworked TAs) would rather not figure out every student's shitty re-implementation of basic abstractions, especially when that's not what's being taught. They can save it for smaller, higher level class, once the people who can't deal (like OP) are weeded out.

No CS curriculum I've ever seen requires web development. If OP is taking that class and is freaking out about commonly used javascript libraries that were probably outlined in the course description, that's on him.
Teaching operating systems is also a basic class for freshmen or sophomores. Other courses build on that, usually you write some kernel patches. You can take those classes at community college for cheap if you want, then transfer to a decent state school (which is probably free if you had good grades or test scores in school). If you're focused and self-driven enough, skip school and go right into industry, but OP clearly has not done that either.

I have to take 4 classes focused on web dev. Also, I’m not “freaking out” about jQuery, it’s just a shit framework.

>be me
>self-learn
>uncle able to land me a job without degree
I would be fucked right now if it weren't for him. Which is retarded, because I'm a better developer than most of the people I work with, aside from a few 40-50 year old wizards that didn't burn out.

Explain why jQuery is a shit framework. Bonus points if I can't immediately find the answer written verbatim on another website.

>Because setting up cross-platform ajax calls manually is tedious
Are you stuck making webapps compatible with IE6?

>importing a 90K library to save yourself typing maybe 30-50 bytes of Javascript because XMLHttpRequest() is "ugly"

Because he's a fucking retard that doesn't know what he's doing.

youmightnotneedjquery.com

jQuery isn't a shit framework, the people who use jQuery are often shit developers, though.
Just use the slim version and fetch: developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Fetch_API

The point of using jQuery is the readily available methods it provides that can make writing much faster and also lower the risk of running into bugs; I choose my libraries depending on my needs and jQuery slim is great at providing basic functionality in a few lines compared to writing vanillaJS, where providing a fade effect is like 13 lines of code compared to a single method.
This site is a great example of just how little you need to write with jQuery compared to vanillaJS. It's great for getting shit done. Should you use it in a complex web application? No, of course not, it's not very maintainable and makes developers prone to shitting out spaghetti code. But if you're just adding basic functionality to a site, or you don't want to worry about polyfills while also needing to support older versions of IE, jQuery Slim is great.

>Explain why jQuery is a shit framework
JavaScript. Nothing useful to anybody anywhere has ever been made with JS and its frameworks. All it serves is to propagate the modern centralized web and services.

>unironically going to college

>ironically going to college

Unironically my professor made us learn FORTRAN.

Also a whole 90k, wow. If you're an experienced developer you don't give a shit about importing a library at any size if it makes whatever you're creating faster and easier to develop.

If you actually knew anything at all about the underlying framework you'd know that the real problem with jQuery lies in doing shit like making a bunch of memory execution calls to hide elements compared to just using the far more performant implementations in ECMA5

Blatantly false and a parroted opinion of every jobless hack who has zero experience working in the industry.

>muh job
Proving my point. FB "engineers" are paid 6 figures + stocks to figure out new ways to datamine people in JS and frontend frameworks.
Literally zero (0) of the big publicly traded companies, and thus the job-makes who create a demand for related "experience", use JS for anything other than nefarious purposes, or, at best, centralized web-services and social-media cancer.

>I don't like it therefore it's cancer

>anybody
>only big publicly traded companies
Way to move your goal posts retard.

I used to work for an Oil & Gas company developing internal applications to analyze rig data using JavaScript, many other companies have been using JavaScript for similarly internal applications for years; but you wouldn't know that because the scope of your perspective is limited to what only you have seen JavaScript being used for. There are many useful applications and services off the web that currently use JS, and I expect more and more will continue to adopt it.

That user is right, you incompetent fucking moron.

> an energy company
> using JavaScript for data analysis
Ahahahajaajjajahhahahahahajahahhahhahha

No that user is not right, he's a fucking uneducated and jobless retard who has zero experience; a perspective so fucking limited to the parroted opinions of other likewise hacks that to anyone with an ounce of working experience he looks like a complete retard, and you do as well for attempting to support them.

>energy company
Are you retarded? Just because a company is involved in oil & gas doesn't mean it deals directly with energy supply you fucking moron. And you'd laugh that they've used JavaScript, but you probably don't even realize that they've had most of their analysis being done by ancient fucking VBA scripts for years, with their data being kept in Access DBs

SEETHING JAVASCRIPT DEVELOPERS!
You really can't defend the indefensible. You won't be convincing anybody here in relation to this ultimate form of computer cancer.

If you're triggered so easily it could also mean you're a database.

I don't need to convince anybody, you can either be a delusional fuckwad and refuse objective reality or you can have a shred of intellectual integrity and accept the truth. The choice is yours, not mine.

>
>I used to work for an Oil & Gas company developing internal applications to analyze rig data using JavaScript, many other companies have been using JavaScript for similarly internal applications for years
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAJAJAJhhHahahHahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahaha

Problem is you can't, and never will, convince anybody with your extreme faggotry of a language and it's incredibly cancerous and bloated libraries such as gayquery

>t. neet who has never worked on any major project in his life and cries every time he realizes oop for anything but game development is dead
I made more money working for that company in one year than you have in your entire life : ^ )

Can't read huh?
>I don't need to convince anybody

> muh fantasies
You are so fucking retarded I'd be shocked if you were able to hold down a job as a Wal-Mart greeter.

>memory execution calls to hide elements compared to just using the far more performant implementations in ECMA5

t. retard

Attached: rage_comic_guy.png (255x237, 15K)

>I used to work for an Oil & Gas company developing internal applications to analyze rig data using JavaScript
Sounds like some boomer manager fucked up by allowing the millennial hire to dictate his hot-garbage technologies.

> being this btfo and illiterate
SEETHING JAVASCRIPT FAGGOT. STAY MAD, LOSERS!

>javascript is bad because people develop bad things with it
lmao

Look at the hide() function compared to setting display to none with the ECMA5 implementation

Do you even know what the call stack and execution context are?

SEETHING

>le meme response
lmfao, javascript haters are the best

>perspective
You have no argument besides "certain sectors of the industry use it". Just because the industry is overrun with gimmickry from top to bottom doesn't make it worthwhile. Your cancerous frameworks and stacks strung together to make some company a little bit richer haven't contributed a ounce to society. You sit in a bubble of cancer and that's your perspective. Enjoy the money, because it sounds like that's the only real thing you've gotten out of your career.

> be pathetic hack / JavaScript developer
Suicide is the only option for these stupid fucks.

> why won't people take my job seriously?
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahha

>people make money
>it doesn't contribute to society hurrr
>millions of people use these services every day but it's not contribootin hurrr
I've worked with systems running on COBOL and several other languages in my life; even if I hadn't, I'd still have contributed more to society and learned far more than you ever will.

The only people who don't take my job seriously are unemployed neets on an anime forum. The paychecks I receive are more than enough to lessen the pain.

>he thinks I write javascript for a living
ahahahahahaha
come up with an argument against the language, not what people write with it, you retard

ABSOLUTELY SEETHING. I like how you go from COBOL (a language that's pure fucking cancer) to JavaScript (a language that's pure fucking cancer). You must have an amazing life! WE ARE SO JEALOUS OF YOUR DIRE LACK OF INTELLIGENCE.

>COBOL
>implying financial institutions and other capitalist vampires contribute to society

There's a server-side JS, aka NodeJS. Why not, if it's cheap.

STAY MAD, YOU PATHETIC FUCKING LAMER!

>government institutions and infrastructure don't contribute to society
Holy shit keep digging that hole deeper, do you have any idea how much fucking shit runs on COBOL? Imagine being so blatantly inept and purposefully ignorant of the world that you'll never have the ability to work on anything important.

I think we've already established that:
> it's cancer
> it's used by people with no skills or education
> it's useless
> it's bloated
> it's used by compulsive liars

>stay mad while I write in all caps and use outdated memes
You're making my day, I haven't laughed so hard in a few months

>these are facts because I said so

JavaScript is Good.

Paid by who?

You're a JavaScript programmer, you're easily entertained. You don't have the intelligence for much else.

>he thinks I'm a javascript developer
I'm a sysman, but nice try

>being in STEM
>2019

LMAO
Now is the worst time to be doing that
Guess you'll just have to find out that your degree doesnt mean shit when you graduate

> > it's cancer
Who cares
> > it's used by people with no skills or education
Good, they costs peanuts.
> > it's useless
That trait described by itself doesn't give much feedback.
> > it's bloated
Add more RAM, surely corps won't have issues with that?
> > it's used by compulsive liars
As long as they deliver, who cares. Even Jow Forums posters work somewhere.

lmao ecma standards have nothing to do with the DOM or CSS. You're right in that jQuery is dogshit because it needs to set up an animation instead of doing it all in CSS

That's not why it's slower champ

Ah, you're a talentless nobody.

>Even Jow Forums posters work somewhere.

Attached: 1542255773711.jpg (577x537, 33K)

Do you even know what a sysman does?

>it's used by people with no skills or education
>anons literally admitting in this thread they are still in college and have no working experience
>those are the ones shitting on javascript
Ironic

Directly by the Linux foundation (core devs, maintainers like Linus), but most by other companies interested in Linux development (Intel, AMD, Red Hat, Google, etc), as they use Linux as part of their business or infrastructure.

>that's not why it's slower
That wasn't the question.

>ecmastandards
Okay, so you actually have no idea what you are talking about.

That's actually an area that would be interesting to work if I went towards the programming route.
How does one even get started?

>get degree
>go work with JS
More embarrassing than not working. JS is the antithesis to computer science and academic and technical merit. Look at arguments like "Good, they costs peanuts", which just serve to propagate cancer. JS is the reason you can't use the web without content blockers like uMatrix.

Becoming a core dev for the linux foundation or making money off of open-source software? The latter isn't very hard, develop a useful application and ask for donations.

The first one, working on kernels.

>work with JS
>get paid 300k a year with no effort
>not working
>die in the streets
The first is definitely more embarrassing. You sure proved them wrong.

>JS is the antithesis to computer science and academic and technical merit
>because pajeets work with it
>because I said so
>language is bad because bad things are developed with it hurrr

>THINKING A JS JOB PAYS 300K

DELUSIONAL COLLEGE KID

300k is pushing it, but you can make six figures easily.

Stay salty undergrad.

60k tops, especially entry level

>60k tops
Nah man starting salary is like 80k, Senior UI devs get paid like 125k

>60k tops

Attached: 1530040419411.png (502x967, 82K)

>Senior
>UI

Hope you have 10 years of experience and a UI certification then, because they won't hire you without either