Fedora: Perfect distro

> No bullshit
> Everything just werks
> Six-Month release cycle
> Wayland
> Sane and reasonable community
> No autism. Backed by real engineers.

It's time to install Fedora

Attached: fedora29-816x345.jpg (816x345, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/ceph/
linuxfoundation.org/blog/2017/10/2017-linux-kernel-report-highlights-developers-roles-accelerating-pace-change/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Fedora-31-Changes-Ahead).
copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/mavit/firefox-esr/).
lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/[email protected]/thread/IQIOBOGWJ247JGKX2WD6N27TZNZZNM6C/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does fedora have a netinstall

had issues with mouse cursor while using it as host os for virtualbox, had to move to ubuntu at work

>> Everything just werks
only if you remember to disable selinux after you install it.
>> Six-Month release cycle
They've been talking about going to one year, haven't they? Actually that'd make me much more likely to use it if they did that, six months is too bleeding-edge, too much churn to bother putting up with.
>> Wayland
won't be the slightest bit interested until Xfce supports it in who knows how many years. GNOME is shit and I wouldn't run it if you paid me.

Even named after my favorite hat :^) simply epic

>Backed by real engineers
try compiling literally anything

This guy is right.

This guy is left.

>systemd
>gnome
>pulseaudio

Attached: d27.png (645x729, 75K)

damn this is a compelling shill thread. downloading a release right now

Fedora was my first Linux distro. After trying OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Puppy, Tinycore, and CentOS... I'm back on Fedora.

Why not use KVM?

It's not solus, sage

> No autism

I know Jow Forums hates systemd and gnome but pulse? What’s wrong with pulse?

Does Fedora package Firefox ESR? I looked on their package website and it looks like they only have the mainline rapid-release version... which I am not putting up with, ESR is enough of a pain in my ass as it is.

why would you need that? big enough usb sticks are now super cheap. They also have Fedora Atomic for automated server deployments.

SystemD is one of the best things that happened to Linux. Pulseaudio just works nowadays and Gnome is also decently usable without user customization.

>What’s wrong with pulse?
1. part of poettering botnet
2. eat 100% cpu

You forgot
>doing free QA for Red Hat
>updating package index is 100+MB download

yes
>updating package index is 100+MB download
will be fixed in Fedora 30

Why do you oppose doing QA for FOSS projects?

> Everything just werks
Not really. For instance, they just about never had the current stable release of Ceph (13.x) recently. Just build failures here, which apparently weren't important enough to address:
apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/ceph/

This also happened to quite a few other packages that I've wanted to use.

> No autism. Backed by real engineers.
Lots of autism, actually. Creating a package manager installable thing is much more retarded than it is on Alpine or even Gentoo.

I guess dnf is fine on the user side, though.

>systemd
>double redhat
>Lennart University of Hamburg Pöttering
>is more NSA even humanly possible?

Fedora or OpenSuSE?

I've been using it all along on multiple machines and 2 never happened.

I bet it's something "Ubuntu" again?

>FOSS project
>billion dollar company project
chose one and only one

then you have to stop using the linux kernel

I assume hurd is lacking basically any commecial contributors

Since when is the Linux kernel a
>billion dollar company project
you're doing free QA for?

Sure, billion dollar companies also use the Linux kernel, but you're not really the one doing most QA - the kernel dev team is. You probably use the kernel at about the same time as the billion dollar company does.

linuxfoundation.org/blog/2017/10/2017-linux-kernel-report-highlights-developers-roles-accelerating-pace-change/

the linux kernel is primarily being developed by big companies

being this retarded

And it's ruined by meme name.

How easily can I install a TV Tuner?

Yes, I know. This doesn't contradict in the least what I've said.

I'm doing the exact same thing with the Linux kernel and Fedora when it comes to QA. File a bug report if a problem annoys me too much.

It's free QA for billion dollar companies in both cases or in neither case.

>doing QA for free for a multi billions dollar company
????

Attached: nani.png (1280x720, 1.38M)

In one case, you're doing the QA before the company has its product [RHEL].

In the other you're both simply using the Linux kernel, and QA is actually by far mostly done by the kernel devs.

It's like the difference of being a ball boy for a billionaire vs playing a tennis match in a tournament against a billionaire.

good goy

>They've been talking about going to one year, haven't they?
They were talking about delaying Fedora 31 because they want to "re-tool the distribution and restructure the way its developed to rely more upon automated testing, improving the release processes, and related infrastructure to make it more scalable and better for the longer-term" (phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Fedora-31-Changes-Ahead).
It wouldn't have been the first time for them to postpone a release for some big project, but just a few weeks ago they decided against it.

From what I understand they plan to change how package maintainers need to adhere to release schedules.

linux of arch

your comparison sucks

better would be: I'm playing in bot cases, just one opponent is way more competent and could learn less from me, but I'm always playing for my own enjoyment.

There's a Copr repo for it (copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/mavit/firefox-esr/). But yes, in general Fedora isn't great when it comes to legacy/alternate releases as separate packages.

Do I have to repeat it in every thread? The sound output distorts randomly especially when Firefox is open and it's unbearable.
Also it fucks up audio inputs sometimes.

it's good desktop distro, default install
it's shit on laptop and garbage minimal install because dnf/yum

>garbage minimal install
Well, it's a distro that's famous for using systemd, pulseaudio and selinux. I don't think anybody interested in pure minimalism would even consider it.
>it's shit on laptop
Why? Currently running it on an old HP laptop and I'm pretty satisfied since that prolonged battery life project.

>>doing free QA for Red Hat
No. Fedora isn't "beta RedHat," it's just upstream from RHEL abd CentOS.
QA is already done on Fedora final releases, and RedHat could care less about your "Fedora experience."
>t.member of Fedora QA team.

>It's time to install Fedora
I did.
It's pretty good, but I don't really like gnome.
So I think I'm gonna try OpenSUSE next.

>Everything just werks
What? No it doesn't.

>disabling SELinux because too dumb to use audit2allow

Attached: d53.jpg (200x200, 8K)

Man IBM sure is spending their money well shilling fedora.

Kissles virgin machine?

i like it and i'm a debian user. fedora is good. shills here are autists.

I use the KDE spin. It's pretty good if you don't like Gnome.

SELinux is built on a fundamentally broken premise: namely that its possible to reliably enumerate ahead of time what a program in its legitimate normal operation does. It isn't, and more to the point software changes so damn fast these days that even if you did it there'd be no way to keep up. SELinux generally works provided you use programs in the default install in their default configurations, but try to customize or alter things and then sometimes shit will just mysteriously break (and often then work when you run it by hand). I'm not willing to put up with that shit for what is, fundamentally, a backup second line of defense intended to stop already-compromised processes from being able to damage other processes.

Also if you're going to implement something like this, magic labels are the wrong thing to do. AppArmor was correct in choosing to base everything on filesystem paths even though that makes it a theoretically less powerful security system.

I mostly agree, but you need to consider the scope of what fedora is supposed to do: It should be run in the default config and there it provides a slightly enhanced security level. If you need customization, you should learn how to do it securely.

In addition, Red Hat needs a place to develop SELinux because for fixed server setups with THEL finely tuned policies are definitely a good way to provide additional security, especially because it has logging integrated.

Fedora became irrelevant since Arch Linux came out.

I'd say that the slight security enhancement isn't worth the trouble of SELinux, then.

SELinux is, as you mentioned, a nice tool for a static server that you can set up once and then tightly lock down, especially if you expect to be specifically targeted by capable adversaries. Which makes multi-layerd security and backups to backups and very fine-grained policy and auditing just what you want. Not coincidentally, that perfectly describes the NSA's use case, which is probably why they wrote the thing. It doesn't, however, describe desktop usage at all. Or even "workstation", if we're to broaden that a bit. One, a desktop user is much less likely to have the kind of threat model that requires every bit of security they can possibly get, and two a desktop user doesn't run a tightly-defined static set of applications running a tightly-defined static set of tasks. They open files all over the place, install and remove packages, and they're also the administrator and not infrequently have cause to change things, add or remove a few various daemons, and so on. SELinux isn't a one-time task for this sort of use, it's an ongoing burden, for much less benefit. In my or a typical desktop users threat model, the only customization of SELinux that it makes sense to learn how to do or to spend the time doing is "setenforce 0".

I guess IBM invested into paid Jow Forums shills so they can back up their shitty beta-testing RHEL here.

>Fedora became irrelevant since Arch Linux came out.
I guess that's why so many down-steam Arch distros are industry standard.
Oh, wait...

100% /based/
At home, SELinux enforced = f
At work, SELinux enforced = t
It doesn't belong in a desktop distro, and is definitely a product of RedHat's "advisory role."
However, it's pretty easy to disable.

I think, from the point of view of a Linux distributor it may make sense to spend the time, as long as they focus on having few to no problems for their target audience and I think they improved alot in that regard during the last few releases. But I can't say your approach as a private individual is wrong.

Pulseaudio works better than windows

It broke everything in every update from it's creation all the way to 2014 when Poettering stepped aside to let betters devs fix it

>ITT: People who make excuses because they don't like the meme name
The distro predates the meme
>beta testing for free xD
Nowhere says that, it's maintained as possible following some guidelines.
If you are talking about a real beta testing distro that's Arch Linux.
>hurr 6 months is little
Every release is supported for 1 year plus a month
>I don't care about Wayland
ok so somehow the fact that Wayland is supported makes you unable to run Xorg?
>hururrufyefrrrr crayons
No, don't disable SELinux. Learn to use it. Actually I haven't heard of it giving problems anymore.
Fedora is one of the coolest projects of Linux in my opinion, focus on the software and not on ideology unlike Debian.

Attached: YUIyuruyuri.jpg (741x1032, 99K)

>dnf
It's downright primitive compared to nix, guix or pacman.
Maybe Lennart can release that packaged module for systemd be wants to make and solve this issue

I updated a fedora 25 install all the way to fedora 29 in a go and it didn't broke.
As far as I care it's probably the most stable OS I ever used

Makes sense a debian user would defend fedora.ost debian devs collect a paycheck from redhat

fedora is a beta testing distro for red hat. eat shit, i'm manjaro now

>hurr me not like beta software fedora is beta
>I use arch btw
like poettery

lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/[email protected]/thread/IQIOBOGWJ247JGKX2WD6N27TZNZZNM6C/

it's a free distro, too

inb4 gnutards
>hurdjsr they allow non free repos so they are not free libre software approved

Fedora is definitely not industry standard.
Industry standards are LTS releases and Fedora was supposed to be "cutting-edge" but you need to change version every 6 months...
Why would you do that when Arch just updates packages and there are no versions

Re-install every 6 months?

Attached: 268723038020211.png (611x461, 477K)

He's talking about RHEL.

I've had the same install since Fedora 22.

Install Gentoo

>Gnome is also decently usable without user customization.

Gnome user here. This is not true.

You don't have to reinstall. You upgrade in place. It's the equal of dist-upgrade in .deb distros.

>>Gnome is also decently usable without user customization.

>Gnome user here. This is not true.

Gnome user here. This is not true.

installed fedora to one of the project computers im using currently. fucking crazy screen flickering and boxes or cubes or what ever that virtual machine thing was is a hot pile of garbage

>debian user would defend fedora
i'm just saying that if it works than it's ok. you can use windows 10 or arch if you want.

just werks tier:
>alsa
based and redpilled tier
>only sound being hardware beeps
cringe, doesn't werk, and screechpilled
>pulse

Where does Jack enter in?

between hardware beep and pulse. I fail to see why you need a controller on top of a controller

Tried it but xfce looked weird, and couldn't get it to look exactly as what I got used to
I'll stay with antergos

Fuck off Kevin

>too dumb to configure pulseaudio, the post

Gentoo is perfection

Gnome is unironically fine without customization, you should just stop trying to make windows out of it.

Install Gentoo.

>too dumb to bind amixer commands to fn keys
seriously what added functionality do you get from running that bloat?

Bluetooth speakers, network speakers, A/V sync, dynamic switching

Yeah you dist-upgrade and every fucking thing breaks at once. In place upgrades are cancer, just fucking back up the home drive and do a reinstall because it will be faster then trying to untangle 50 fucking conflicting and broken packages at once.

>It's time to install Fedora
not

Attached: _____.jpg (640x480, 46K)

pretty much same here, but it was redhat 8.

>cdrom.com
Neckbeards thinking they're clever and not just aggravating people.

Attached: cdromcom.png (872x624, 48K)

Fedora's dist upgrades seem pretty stable though. F27->F28 and F28->F29 went without any troubles.

Yeah sure you shill

Fedora is good, I've been using it for a while. Be prepared for shit to break when you upgrade releases though. When I upgraded from 28 to 29, shit fell apart. I get all kind of errors now that I don't know how to fix.

also dnf is slow as hell, manifests a

-re incredibly slow to download