> Skeuomorphic design
> No bloat

Attached: win98desk.png (640x480, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

roland65.free.fr/xfe/
ifs.nog.cc/slime4.hp.infoseek.co.jp/font/font.html
sourceforge.jp/projects/mix-mplus-ipa/downloads/58930/PixelMplus-20130602.zip/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It looks like shit compared to a modern OS, I bet you're in your fucking teens and never actually used windows 95

> flat shit
> wasted screen space
> muh transitions
> hogging computer resources for no reason
Fuck your gay design

what a typical boomer you are, ghawd u people are so fkkin stopid!

how can i use desktop that doesn't allow me to modify it to represent my personality aesthetically? that is intellectual imprisonment.

you talk like a desktop is simply a tool for getting you work done, and not an extension of your individuality and a showcase for your creativity.

literally digital fascism

i know what you mean, when i'm unable to adjust the thickness of the windows borders or size of desktop icons, it makes me understand how holocaust victims must have felt when hitler shoved them into his gas chambers

It's mostly nostalgia for me when it comes to Windows 95 and 98. Then I ended up with a computer that came with a Pentium 4 (that liked to cook itself and was a worse performer than the Pentium 3) and Windows ME (which was buggy as fuck and crashed a lot). Because of that it was then that I built my first PC and I didn't want to use Windows. But it was all I knew. So I went to PCWorld (UK) to get another copy of Windows and they had SuSE boxsets in the software and operating system section. I picked up SuSE and installed it with KDE. And that was that. Linux user from then on. I miss the old KDE look and feel like I do Windows 95/98. But when I use something like Trinity DE, I realise how far we've come and go back to Plasma.

I'd argue that 95 looked better than 98, though there isn't much difference between them.

Why are wintoddlers too stupid to customise their desktop?

Simplistic buffoons like you makes me chuckle. Your inability to revolting against you masters stems from your low IQ.

I myself sport 196 in IQ, as verified by online IQ test, and maintain it by every single day consuming various formats of Japanese culture, practicing with my sword and reading books on atheism.

My arch-rig is like a magnificent castle, build from the scratch, using only my intellect. i have fully mastered the art of i3 an can fluidly navigate my bloat-free environment like a god (if you believe is such silly archaic nonsense), while you peasants waddle around like savages in the filthy cesspit that is the so-called windows operating systems.

i pity you fools who can't experience the euphoria of being enlightened by your own intellect. enjoy your children's toys boys...

Why is customizing a desktop a necessity? Why is it imperative that one 'rices' their desktop?

>Why is customizing a desktop a necessity?
Nobody said it was.
>Why is it imperative that one 'rices' their desktop?
Nobody said that.

Windows 10 is fucking the same but with different colors

Attached: image.jpg (600x1067, 87K)

That is not Windows 95

>It looks like shit compared to a modern OS
are you blind or some shit?

This is what people who've never used previous Windows versions actually think.

Windows customization used to be hugely popular and has dropped off over the years along with Windows' support for customization. Only toddlers don't know this.

xfce with arc is better

but you might find this interesting
roland65.free.fr/xfe/
>FOX looks much like Windows in part because of historical reasons, and in part because it is intentional. Having FOX look similar to Windows means the users of a FOX application will be able to bring to bear their prior experience on Windows, and therefore they will be able to be productive much quicker.
>But let there be no mistake about it:- for software developers, FOX looks very differently internally.

aesthetics thread?

Attached: fmtowns.webm (640x480, 2.11M)

>This is what ricefags actually Believe

>Windows customization used to be hugely popular
No, it has never been popular. Adding shit to the same desktop isn't customisation. It's just running someone else's shit on top of someone else's shit.

teen calling others teens

Seriously, only zoomers can't appreciate when computer actually looked like fucking computers instead of trying to make your UI look like a fucking contemporary art painting or a phone interface. Modern UI's are pure garbage.

Why is it so hard to recreate these looks on modern OSes? Even on GNU/Linux it's not easy.

Old interfaces just make me want to start programming something. There's a real "style" there that goes way beyond "retro" in my opinion, but it seems to be totally lost on all modern interface designs.

*sips monster*

Attached: 1530024423469.png (403x347, 72K)

Good job on outing yourself as a toddler

I don't care what some winjeet thinks, to be honest.

SEETHING

Okay, wintoddler. Now back to your games.

>Why is customizing a desktop a necessity?
When you know what you want, you build your own tools.

Windows customisation was huge, underage b&. The fact that shit like windowblinds usually fucked your system and you had to do a fresh install isn't the point. Way to out yourself as someone who was still shitting his pants when win98 was released.

sneed

>windowblinds
So you think using skins to make your DE look different is the same as customisation? That's cute.
Why do wintoddlers always assume everyone used their crappy operating system in the past? When Windows 98 came out I didn't care, because I knew that Windows is for retards and there is no reason to use it. I still feel the same way about PajeetOS.

>> No gay shit

Internet explorer logo in top right of every file management window.
Big, largely unnecessary banner in the left of each file window..

If you're going retro, go all the way to win95/nt4 and get rid of that shit. NT4 was comfy as fuck.

Attached: 1535684297663.png (640x480, 39K)

What font?

Attached: 1532325536699s.jpg (250x244, 7K)

>When Windows 98 came out I didn't care
What were you using if we assume that you aren't some zoomer shitter? Mac OS 9? LOL Don't even tell me you were using redhat or IRIX because you'll be trying too hard

Slackware, Wintoddler. Still use it to this day.

and get rid of that "links" toolbar, URLs have no place in a file manager

Sure, you did. Took you a while to look around in google, underage b&.

You're really reaching now, winjeet.

*sips*

Slack was essentially useless for a desktop and still is, but whatever floats your RP boat, underage b&.

Yep, looks way better than this.

Attached: macos-mojave.jpg (1536x960, 136K)

Agreed.
Put webshit in the fucking recycle bin.

Attached: windows95_3.gif (640x480, 18K)

>Slack was essentially useless for a desktop and still is
Could say the same about Windows.

no aero, dropped as fuck

Windows had 3rd party software support and multimedia playback. It might have been be shit, but everything on the market was worse for desktop usage, except IRIX. Kill yourself, underage RP faggot.

>Windows had 3rd party software support
As did Slackware, even its kernel is developed by a third party!
>and multimedia playback
So you're just extremely ignorant of everything that isn't PajeetOS?
>It might have been be shit, but everything on the market was worse for desktop usage
I can smell curry.

ifs.nog.cc/slime4.hp.infoseek.co.jp/font/font.html
My best guess is this.

I smell underage trying too hard. Sound support was atrocious under linux, but I'm tired of repying to some zoomer.

Windows 9x design is shit. Here are the most aesthetic graphical environments known to man:

>IRIX Interactive Desktop
>Common Desktop Environment
>QNX Photon GUI
>MacOS 8.6
>BeOS/Haiku
>AmigaOS 3.1

It's a combination of bitmapped fonts, few colors, and 3D interfaces drawn with simple lines and bitmapped images. That's what makes these old interfaces look nice.

Attached: Screenshot_20190120_094926.png (1600x1200, 128K)

>implying Windows 10 explorer is bad
May be because it is just some modification of windows 95/98/XP explorer
But yeah, I hate where they are headed with the minimal modern shit UI

Attached: Capture.png (1147x684, 66K)

>I smell underage trying too hard
Stop projecting, wintoddler.
>Sound support was atrocious under linux
A meme that Winjeets have always spouted.

>everything on the market was worse for desktop usage, except IRIX
Fuck off, Mac OS 9 was great.

Grandpa genx checking in.

I never liked windows gui, it always felt shitty and off.

nextstep was peak aesthetics, cde also but it was pretty rough to use, amiga workbench 2.0 also looked nice.

Attached: cde-jzaremski.jpg (1152x864, 253K)

Compelling arguments, zoomer. This is my last reply. Where's the photoshop version for slackware in '98 or anything multimedia related which comparable to software on win98? I know you can't answer. Just kys.

I actually this is really nice whoever made it

Attached: 1501594609730.webm (1280x800, 588K)

>whoever made it
probably a jobless virgin

>muh photopshop
Kill yourself, pajeet. Nobody cares about your proprietary shitware.

>one quarter of a window is content
>functional
>no bloat
nice b8

Attached: 1539928587945.jpg (456x810, 27K)

what is the best way to recreate this look on GNU/Linux?
I've seen some Plasma themes but they don't look the par.

>another failed attempt at classic windows theming
Proportions, spacing, padding all wrong. For being this autistic there is a surprising lack of attention to detail.

Looks fine. Stop being autistic. Anyone could do this in a matter of minutes.

You see this is the problem with linux users. They just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste. I don't mean that in a small way; I mean it in a big way.

It actually has really good visual hierarchy with the greyout chrome and colour of the folders, I think it’s actually designed well from a functional perspective.

Linux is just a kernel. I don't think Windows has ever looked good, but that is a near enough approximation. You're autistic.

Linux is an operating system created by Linus Torvalds.

literally an image with the launch bar. no windows, no data management whatsoever shown. fuck off to a """"desktop"""" thread pls.
GUI peaked with OSX 10.6 snow leopard if you ask me.

Attached: 505720[1].jpg (1199x751, 235K)

No, it's a kernel. The operating system was started by GNU in 1983, they merely added Linus' kernel to their operating system.

>GUI
>No bloat
Classic oxymoron

What a joke, here's the peak of GUI aesthetics.

Attached: b5petracker.png (640x480, 15K)

>windows 98
>no bloat
-Internet explorer integration into the desktop and file manager.
-Includes dos programs.
There's probably way more than necessary in it, idk.

> itt people trying de defend best aesthetics
> itt people showing that there is no best

this is also charming

Attached: serveimage(1).png (1153x870, 10K)

I bet the first OS you used is Windows Vista.

> No bloat
>3/4 of the window is covered by irrelevant shit
lmao

That's literally the worst one. Even Tiger looks better.

>sourceforge.jp/projects/mix-mplus-ipa/downloads/58930/PixelMplus-20130602.zip/
Try this

I agree with this, I'm a fan of Aero. It was a nice time when having pseudo 3dness was ok and not changed to boring flatness because of smart phones and battery life. I mean I'm ok if people on a phone or laptop even want to go into a "flat mode" on their specific device but if I got this giant gpu and good performing cpu/ram on a desktop why can't I be given that option to actually utilize my hardware some more? This unify everything into one look shit is dumb there's a reason why desktops, consoles, phones etc all had diff styles to them. It's really them just being lazy not wanting to design multiple optimal interfaces for the devices.

>a button with a black & white pixelart icon has 2 times the icon's width of padding, same for height
>peak of GUI aesthetic
>a button with a flat brightly colored icon has 2 times the icon's width of padding, same for height
>flatshit

Windows classic and NextStep both have the best UI. I made the switch to Xubuntu thanks to shit UI that is Windows 10 and Ubuntu GNOME. If Windows 7 is still supported through 2030, I bet I will still use it, just for that sweet classic UI

Attached: 2019-01-22-235327_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 3M)

>flat brightly
>>flatshit
>shit
Yes and what was your point?

based and windows pilled.

Attached: 23-01-2019 7-01-34 PM.png (1366x768, 269K)

lol

Meh. It was ok but today is far better. Use Win95 for one day and you'll see what I mean.

Windows 7 in classic theme is still accessible and completely functional for work, which is what computers are for.
Go outside and play, faggot.

as someone who's used windows 95 recently
it's perfectly usable

really little has changed regarding ordinary desktop UI conventions since System 7 and Windows 95

Hi Nathan!

There's so many tiny details that have changed. Win95 is usable, but my workflow would be about 50% slower with it. What bothers you people about modern interfaces anyway?

>> Skeuomorphic design
pixellet

t. zoomer

Use 98 lite
His website is still good 20 years later

What an outdated piece of junk that pales in comparison to the perfection known as windows 7.

Attached: VirtualBox_Win10_21_01_2019_13_05_14.png (1280x960, 481K)

>when computer actually looked like fucking computers
Computers look like however computers do, they used to look like visual diarrhea due to technical limitations and now not anymore, albeit at the expense of poor management of system resources.

There's no such a thing as the "true computer aesthetic" this is just nonsense boomer talk. Just because it's old and it grew on you at the time doesn't mean it's the "true state of things".

But your probably think GNU's logos are great and /gd/ "just doesn't know what they're talking about", so I might as well just stop writing.

Attached: s798ktzb1py11.jpg (640x458, 50K)

>changed my computer theme at work to win7 classic
>they thought it was 95 and just assume it fell through the cracks for 20 years
>no one wants to use it or ask me to do shit anymore
Too bad they upgraded it to 10