/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1493348680939.jpg (574x861, 453K)

Other urls found in this thread:

appimage.org/
justi.cz/security/2019/01/22/apt-rce.html
github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/wiki/Similar-projects#comparison
bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1264453
archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/kde-applications-meta/
winehq.org/announce/4.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dubs say he'll die at 66

I like the dark mode in Ubuntu 18.10.
Looks very comfy.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-22 11-37-04.png (1068x741, 549K)

So what's the most convenient current format to generate man pages from? Markdown, asciidoc, docbook?

Apparently, dubs do say 66. Neat.

delete this

DELET

when will xfce transition from x to wayland and become wfce?

NO

You fool

Attached: BB03106A-9C37-48D2-A24A-E7FCC3279BBB.jpg (1098x180, 51K)

GNOOOOO

RIP Richard

Doesn't matter. His ideas will live on.

Richard spirit is eternal. Nobody can kill freedom.

Attached: braveheart_a_p.jpg (349x524, 40K)

how stable is debian unstable?

It's unstable.

I'm not glad he's dead. But I'm glad he's gone

Attached: 1527107864371.gif (267x200, 1.59M)

>t. open source advocate

How to make Firefox stop connecting to firefox.settings.services.mozilla.org?

Is there a good alternative to use for filezilla or should i just use the ftp client in my filemanager(thunar)?

I know I’m going to sounds really fucking referred but, how do you install a .tar? I installed the ice cat file and because idk how to do it I just manually open the file.

.tar or tar.gz or .tgz files are archives, you extract them via $ tar xf archive.tar.gz

Tar is just a thing like zip. It can't be installed as such, it depends on what is inside.

Get an AppImage if you just want to run something, else use your package manager.

There are many ftp clients and pretty much all are decent. Use filezilla, your file manager or a cli client or emacs or vim, as you please.

>appimage
U wot m8, this isn't windows

Thanks guys.

(Also I meant to say retarded not referred)

AppImages are Linux only:
appimage.org/

Windows has "portable" applications too, I guess, but they're not called AppImages.

>using i3
>see a desktop I like
>move their i3/config to replace mine
>nothing but errors

why Jow Forums

>try to download PCSX2 for Linux
>it's a clusterfuck of old, 32-bit dependencies
>no snap or appimage
>entire forum threads full of issues and workarounds
>some people have broken their desktop environments trying to build it

>download the Windows version instead
>run it through Wine
>it just works

Justify this.

Attached: gwen_disgust2.png (271x280, 110K)

Wine is just the same clusterfuck of old, 32-bit dependencies.

Freetards are often autistic and unaware that others are not the same as themselves
They assume everyone using their program is a programmer with the same setup as them so everyone can easily compile their code

I suppose the real question is: Is any distro for these purposes, that I'm likely to bump into while teaching myself, so deprecated that a Sandy Bridge laptop isn't completely supported?

Retard. Appimages is windows style shit and must fuck off. Same with snap, flatpack and all the other shit people embrace.

justi.cz/security/2019/01/22/apt-rce.html

Use a pi-hole or a firewall?

That's what I do, but it would be nice to just have it turned off nativly.

There is no actually good pendant to AppImages on Windows.

And unlike Snap and Flatpak, they do essentially nothing bothersome.
github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/wiki/Similar-projects#comparison

Alas, if you don't want to use them, don't use them.

ABI_X86: -* 64
into package.use for wine, and you only get 64 bit Wine on your Gentoo, no 32bit deps.

Hey anons, I've been having a few problems with my setup lately.
I've been running a Debian dual boot for awhile and was really enjoying it. A few days ago, though, I got bored and decided to switch from the stable/Stretch branch to the testing/Buster branch for the updated GNOME version and some of the changes that come with that.
Ever since I upgraded, though, the software center hasn't been loading. It just gets stuck on pic related. I think I properly updated my sources.list, assuming that's the issue, but maybe not. Any other ideas?

Also, I've been trying to fix the trackpad jumping issue that seems to happen on X220s with no luck. I followed the advice here: bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1264453
previously but it doesn't seem to be giving me any luck this time around. That one might be a better question for /tpg/, though.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-22 12-32-15.png (1680x1050, 2.08M)

Guix can do this too, and with sandboxing if needed. I'd prefer if people would use it instead of appimages.

I'll do you one better
>using i3
>like my own config
>copy it to a fresh install on a new machine
>nothing but errors

Debian has a software center?

Left the window sitting for awhile and had this pop up, so I guess the issue must be in a file separate from the sources.list

Yeah, its installed alongside the base distro. The system uses it for update notifications and as the venue of showing application properties so I really just want it back for that. Hate feeling like something is broken on my machine when it shouldn't be.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-22 12-47-56.png (1680x1050, 2.1M)

>installs gentoo
>complains when things are a hassle
On sane distributions like any based on debian or arch, you add a repo and install it with a one liner and it just fucking works.
If you're on one of the above and are still building it from source, you deliberately made things harder than they needed to be.

the distro's walled garden doesn't always provide the software people need

How do I configure DNF so that it only uses HTTPS mirrors?

Why would you need that?

To avoid things like I prefer having an additional security layer over caching and other performance benefits.

Did you read the link, actually?

Any resources for networking on the Linux side? Routing/subnetting/forward all that good stuff.

I have a functional understanding of computer networking but I can’t implement anything from routing tables to firewall configuration. Please help.

How to make Bluetooth work on Mint 19?

I'm using blueman trying to connect a pixel 2 xl and Bose wireless earbuds (that need an app to properly connect to my phone, pic related).

Blueman can see the earbuds, but can't connect to them, and I can't get my phone or computer to recognize each other in blueman, the Android Bluetooth client, or the built in client from Mint.

Attached: 929110.png (1920x1080, 1.89M)

Yes. Did you? HTTPS protects against MITM attacks that take advantage of flaws in the package manager.

Is there a way, when doing backups, to write to another drive on my network? Something like piping the output of tar to rsync?

sudo apt remove blueman
mv bosebuds ~/.trash
sudo apt install gentoo

I just got a raspberry pi and i'm using geany to write a simple hello world program. The problem is once i compile, build and execute it i get a terminal window that has nothing in it except the title of the window is sh. I've gotten it to run once before but now nothing works. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

OT but what are some good firefox tab management addons other than tree style tabs to use with tridactyl?

install gentoo

You do not need https.

what's the kde-applications-meta group for? archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/kde-applications-meta/

Whats wrong with just using apt from the command line?

Please halp

I'm seeking for the best linux distro.
It should be totally free
It should be very fast
It should give me freedom for everything.

Ok i don't need help. Don't reply.

Nothing

install gentoo

I know packages are signed. I still want it because it prevents MITM attacks such as that one.

>remove windows during winter break
>find out i need matlab again this semester
Can I get matlab for free on linux?

Wine 4 is available now friends. Check out the release notes.
winehq.org/announce/4.0

>Direct3D 12 support.
How do they support dx12? I thought DXVK is for 10 and 11 only. Also, does Wine include DXVK? What about backporting Steam/Proton patches?

GNU Octave

This is very impressive. Can someone make a new thread for this? I would myself but Jow Forums blocks me from uploading images.

i recently installed crux and found myself doing a lot of compiling. at least when i was on slackware, there were pre-built packages available from trusted sources. i really don't understand the need to compile a piece of software and its dependencies when i'm not enabling/disabling any features

Attached: 048336ec9f2d814900f31c9af51ed525.jpg (1850x3359, 1.83M)

What should I use for Japanese input on Xubuntu?

Attached: 1496499746524.gif (333x362, 593K)

First this crossboarders basically push Terry in front of that train, and now they kill RMS with a heart attack or a falling toilet or something.
Someone must stop them already.

Anyone know how to get the Nvidia driver to see my internal laptop display over thunderbolt with xorg?

fcitx i think is the recommended method, least it worked for me but didn't really need it much in the end.
check the arch wiki.

I've also had some issues with text rendering (pic related, the sliders don't display correctly) and some things don't work properly (chiefly nautilus, the file browser, doesn't want to launch until maybe 5-10 minutes after I boot up)

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-22 18-02-47.png (1366x768, 127K)

Still in search of a small program that'll allow a sliding animation for my windows when I switch workspaces. I don't want a bloated DE or have to use the full of tearing compositor Compiz.

Attached: slide.webm (1728x1080, 2.55M)

For some reason I can still open normally all the files I have tried to open up until now, but windows won't boot. Should I just get rid of the disk?

Attached: smart.png (1002x555, 99K)

Hurray, a new windows emulator version! All windows apps in loonix like never before! HAHAHA xD
This so much! Anyone do et!!! OMFG

im trying to install arch according to the wiki. its going well enough, but my wifi card was messed up, couldnt ping archlinux.org. okay, so i needed to edit the grub cfg to fix it. okay, i edited it. problem is i cant mkconfig, im told i need to chroot. okay. but i cant do arch-chroot /mnt /bin/bash because i havent done pacstrap /mnt base, something i cannot do because my wifi isnt working. so i dont really know what im supposed to do to fix this. i could buy an ethernet cable, but i wouldnt like to have it running 50 ft in my house. im thinking i could rebuild the arch iso with the packages already on it?

it might be something to do with my hard drive. im on a windows 10 pre-installed computer, and i installed windows 7 on top of it. theres a 100mb boot partition, which ive been told is a uefi thing, but fdisk says my hard drive is bios. so im thinking that when i reformatted my drive for windows 7, i switched it to bios mode accidentally. that or my computer (dell inspiron 3650) is very, very strange. this might have fucked it up but i would rather not WIPE my install if i do not have to (i want to do a dual boot for now).

As far as password managers go, is KDE's built in one worth using? Never used one but I'm thinking about trying it out.

Put your drivers on the install media before hand
You have internet right now, you can download the package and put it on the usb

I'm wondering what Debian does different when deblobbing Linux. Do they use the Linux libre script or do they run their own? Anyone got sauce?

My thinking is it might be better to use a DE agnostic password manager.
Same with email clients, calendars, etc. But you may have different thoughts than those.
Also didn't even know KDE had a built-in one.

Looks like shit.

It’s still shitposting if you do it ironically fagtron

Go with KeePass. You get a single DB file that works with many programs,no cloud memes, no shit. There's also an app for Android that supports it.

I should also add that when I follow the prescribed directions for the X220 touchpad issue, it works fine on the lock screen but then reverts back to being jumpy once I log in.
So I really have no idea. Don't really understand why it would change like that.

>Trash
Reminds me of Windows. I'm wondering for decades: what's up with that trash bin obsession on Windows desktops?

My logic was going the opposite way, that it might be more secure than an external program. But I really don't know either way, If there is no difference in security then I'd prefer using it over something else, since it's there either way.

I'm aware KeePassX is a separate thing, is there any difference between the two that would make the non-X one better?

Bill put it there, but he had the sense to call it a Recycle Bin, unlike Richard

What's a good image viewer for KDE? Gwenview too complicated and feh is too bare bones.

i have the 1707 card, and its drivers are listed as being a part of the kernel since 2012. its specifically a PCIe error and dell website says there's realtek drivers for it. i've found some pcie drivers on realtek's website but none of the version numbers match the Dell site and their drivers are for 2.4.x and "up to 4.15" so i might be shit out of luck. on the plus side, i remembered i had an ethernet cable hooked up to something else, so i now i just have to pry the hooks out of the wall!

Never mind, I didn't read closely enough and see that non-X is for Windows. That solves that.

is there any way how to make a terminal with screenfetch launch on startup, I've only been using Linux for about a week so I'm completely autistic when it comes to this

Attached: h.png (1366x768, 511K)

install gentoo

ibus+mozc

echo screenfetch >> ~/.bashrc

Is there a way to automatically umount a device when it is at say 98% and then mount another device from a pool of drives?
I dont want raid or zfs or unraid or anything like that. I just want to do it nativly within just the os

I can move windows around with super + arrow keys on windows 10, how do i emulate this on xfce?