Chromium API Changes Will Kill uBlock & uMatrix

Possible forthcoming changes to extension APIs in Chromium will likely kill off uBlock Origin and uMatrix for Chromium based browsers.

>That new declarativeNetRequest API seriously reduces what blockers can do, to the point they will become distinguishable only by their UI, not their capabilities.

> If there is really such phase out planned, and if the declarativeNetRequest is strictly an implementation of static filtering à la ABP, this would be the death of uBO and uMatrix.

github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlock-issues/issues/338

Attached: 1479144962_gscwry3qn7sh8ex.jpg (500x430, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

more like the death of chromium browsers

So chrome and firecuck will sill work, no problem .

>more like the death of chromium browsers

Pretty much. Who the fuck wants to surf the web using gimped ad filtering limited to 30K rules? Not to mention that Chromium would be able to white list whatever Google wants, regardless of what an extension would be trying to block.

>So chrome and firecuck will sill work, no problem

You DO realize that Chrome is based on Chromium, right?

>he doesn't use Pi-hole

Attached: download (7).png (752x529, 205K)

Firefox user here, we're going to die too because Mozilla does nothing but appeal to chrome now.

not everyone has the means or ability to set that shit up.

> people still using chromium
> in 2019
you get what you deserve when it comes to companies like google running the show. i'll stick to using the ESR version of Firefox, possibly for eternity.

I recently installed Firefox again and I couldn't believe the amount of bullshit that I had to disable. Holy fuck. How can anyone screech about how much more secure Firefox is than Chrome when Mozilla has been busy stuffing it with all kinds of questionable bullshit? Pocket, ads on the new tab page, etc.

Thank god for stuff like the ghacks-user.js, because otherwise I'd have spent god knows how much time fucking around in about:config turning a bunch of shit off.

Mozilla is basically devoted to creating an inferior Chrome clone. They'll copy this 'feature' and make it even worse.

Attached: FirefoxLikeorDislike.jpg (1056x1200, 66K)

For the last few YEARS they've systematically broken everything I relied on while making things unstable as well. I feel like I'm being punished.

I've tried other browsers but they all have their own caveats. After trying a giant range from things like Vivaldi, Otter, that KDE one, etc. I could not land on something that was obviously better than the rest.
People keep trying to push Pale Moon but it's a community maintained fork of FF that's obviously been deprecated by Mozilla already so I'm not confident in its longevity as a project.

I want to fucking die. Firefox has legitimatley only gotten worse from a UX perspective since v4. VERSION FOUR. IT'S BEEN ALL DOWN HILL.
They upped their performance game for a while but then fucked it up again somehow around 2015-2016 and it's been downhill in all perspectives since then.

Fucking kill me I hate this.

disable javascript

Sounds like you need to write your own browser my guy

Fucking great now it's all AdGuard and PiHole.

Literally impossible when Google is constantly adding new standards just to be cutting edge and force others to play catch up.

I feel you bro. After all of the shit I disabled on a fresh install of Firefox, it still feels slower than Chrome.

What demogrpahic is Mozilla even trying to appeal to with all of these recent changes to Firefox? Nobody wants a browser that's basically "Chrome but slower."

pihole won't work either
browser does DNS over HTTPS now
All your traffic will bypass pihole and go directly to cloudflare for government inspection instead

oh no no no what to do ublock bros?????
should we abandon ship ??
should we detach chromium for good this time ??

Yes, the one positive aspect is that they still allow to disable that stuff.
Although not all new things are bad. I'm pretty satisfied with v65's content blocking tools.

I still feel like the Pale Moon community is at least doing their best to differentiate themselves from FF (not like e.g. Waterfox). Not sure how they'll fare if FF dies, but for now it's probably the best browser to balance features and resource usage (unless you want a full browser suite at the cost of addon support; then SeaMonkey).

If this shit happens (and knowing Google, it likely will), then it's back to Firefox for a lot of us.

I had a feeling that when Google added basic ad filtering to Chrome that it would eventually move to kill off third party filtering extensions.

Google has has been testing their own ad """"""""""blocker"""""""""" because they can't argue against the malicious and annoying ads, give it a little time and no other ad blocking besides google or google approved will function without modification of the browser.

do you think they will lose marketshare ???
or normies wont see the difference ?

if only they were BLOKADA for windows :(

Well that fucking sucks. I didn't see google using their newfound monopoly on internet browsers to straight up kill blockers but in retrospect I should have.

correct

How in the fuck can the browser bypass my network stack and use its own DNS? That's ridiculous.
Besides anyone with half a brain will make some NAT rules on their firewall that will automatically redirect unwanted DNS requests to your DNS server

True normalfags don't care about ads.

It's not even that good

??????

Maybe I will finally install openwrt

so we are done from chromium forever ??
how will that affect vivaldi/brave and all other forks ????

It simply won't resolve non-cloudflare DNS queries, embrace the botnet.

Maybe to a fork of firefox if this affects what i use now, iridium. Not firefox though, they can't be trusted, you're just dealing with the same thing as with chrome. Maybe dillo.

I guess SJWFox really is our only chance.
Stop writing diversity blogposts and get to work faggots

i hope firefox and all other forks rise again
fuck google for this shit
and fuck chromium i'm abandoning this fcking ship soon

>how will that affect vivaldi/brave and all other forks ????

It will affect anything that's based on Chromium, so that includes Brave and Vivaldi.

>if this affects what i use now, iridium

It will affect Iridium.

Hyperbole much?
After going through the normal settings the only thing you need to do in about:config is enable alt-click save and disable pocket.

redpill me on waterfox. why does everybody hate it?

Attached: RcAhC6Ag.png (512x512, 55K)

is pihole our last chance ??
is there anything like Pihole for windows ??

everyone hates it because its minimal and ITS JUST WERKS
i'm using it right now
no problems at with all extensions i want
Just give it a shot

It's spyware just like firefox. So you just use Firefox with some hacks and user.js modifications, with other spyware features added. All this while it claims to be privacy focused.

Literally useless. Just use IceCat.

>Again, a browser pretending to care about your privacy (archive) - "We’re obsessed with protecting your privacy. That’s why we’ve made Waterfox Private Browsing more powerful than the others.", when in fact Waterfox does nothing whatsoever to protect it and actually spies on you almost as much as Firefox (archive) (it made 109 unsolicited requests upon my run of it). The "more powerful private browsing" mode is a sham as well - anyone caring about their privacy will not rely on this but install essential privacy addons, so his deceptive claims are designed to lure in newbies only. Therefore this slimy dev and his "creation" can be safely ignored.

it needs some about:config modifications and you're good to go

Its literally just a blue firefox by some random nigger that does nothing Firefox doesnt do

I don't hate it. I just don't see the point. There are other browsers more dedicated to the same goals and many of their enhancements can be achieved by tweaking FF or compiling it from source.

Your last chance, in truth, is to become a batshit insane schizophrenic with a typewriter. It's your only hope for a free future.

Attached: dec rant.jpg (929x1162, 1.24M)

Anyone using Firefox needs to look into using the ghacks-user.js

>github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js/

It definitely takes a bit of work to go through but it's the best way to secure Firefox.

Attached: 1546975216414.jpg (500x378, 119K)

redpill me on icecat. why does everyone hate it?
right now i just use chrome with ublock and some other extensions

Attached: icecat.png (650x650, 177K)

seriously Jow Forums with its memes

Nope. I’ve been use Fx for years and my user.js keeps getting longer and longer. The ads on the newtabpage were just disgusting, and there’s multiple about:config entries required to turn them off instead of just one. It’s almost like Mozilla does it on purpose. There’s also many APIs to disable and other antifeatures.

nobody hates it
I just hate the extensions that come with lol

and my home made 52esr fork wins again

too much autism. I dont think automatic updates are botnets so I dont see the point

Nobody hates it, its based. No real windows version though

Its not a meme if its true

ditch chrome for good man
just use chromium/ungoogled

>No real windows version though
what would even be the point? You’re already using an OS that spies on you, might as well go for chrome at that point.

chrome is a fucking malware itself
ditch it for good
i know about windows spyware but seriously chrome is a fcking malware and you should remove it and use chromium/ungoogled

Have to use Windows for work. You can at least try to contain it

I don’t use chrome though. But if you’re on windows it really doesn’t matter since you’ve already been pozzed. And you don’t separate your work computer from personal?

why should I use a browser that is maintained by some guy with no guarantee for security patches and crucial updates.. I would rather download google's malware that some guy in Ukraine's with his zeo-day chromium exploit that never gets patched on ungoogled

>why should I use a browser that is maintained by some guy with no guarantee for security patches and crucial updates.
Because it's a foregone conclusion you didn't develop your own for personal use. In the end, it comes down to the word of a third party.

firefox doesn't have this problem

Attached: chromuim.png (918x90, 10K)

Soon
really soon

lol k

right but I would imagine a company's dedicated team of devs would be a lot faster with security patches than one random guy who probably has other responsibilities to be concerned with

t. seething since 2002

dude i'm not against sjwfox
but shit is unusable with its current state

I switched back to Firefox shortly after Google pushed that new (shit) UI on Chrome users. I'm just tired of these fucking people and pushing their ass backwards idea of how I should use my computer

>Firefox 65 is finally going to fix the video+window snapping bug
Took them unironically half a year and I used Chromium in the meantime, but the wait is finally over

Firefox uses the chromium api for addons now you big retard

All this sucking up to chromium has always been bullshit no matter how modified. It is still developed for Google's intent etc. Mozilla is the only one making a browser that does what the user wishes and is guided by an open source foundation. Anyone pissed at Firefox needs to get the fuck over it and realize that Mozilla does the underlying work so you can create whatever forks make you comfortable because they remove the possibility of pocket or telemetry or whatever other nonsense complaint I hear bitching about.

Those of us who remember when Chrome/ium came out and literally did not support ad blocking only hiding them visually have known this for a long fucking time. Do not trust Chrome/ium

Based

>Mozilla does the underlying work
kek
firefox will switch to chromium in 3 years top. Even Microsoft is switching to chromium now.
Embrace the botnet, chromium and webkit will have monopoly on the web soon.

What's stopping someone from just making an adblocker that works outside of browsers to block incoming Ad DNS requests?

Using WebExtensions does not mean that Firefox will have the same limitations described coming to Chrome/ium. Even since the add-on change to FF, there have been certain features and filtering of uBlock Origin that work easily on FF but not on anything Chromium powered, so we've already seen differences.

Is pale moon the biggest non-shitty non-chromium browser? Isn't Firefox moving to chromium?

Nothing they already exist, but they don't handle cosmetic filtering as gracefully

Pale Moon is cripple aids and no firefox is not

Someone in the foss world will step up in the plate and take a full swing at it.
It's probably going to be buggy and noncompatible for years

Install IceCat
>but muh palememe
Spare sempai. IceCat is where it's at

Raymond pls stfu your extension barely blocks any ads anymore, especially "native" ones unless they've been literally labeled as an "ad" in html tags which is an incredibly amateur way to handle things.

90% of the internet no longer works

are there any extension like extensity on firefox?

You think it's easy to develop browsers nowadays?
It takes big fucking companies to develop web engine, Microsoft is one of the top 3 software companies in the world and they have given up developing their own browser.
Firefox is bleeding, Mozilla doesn't have what it takes to maintain it. Everytime some minor fuck up happens they remove entire features from the browser instead of fixing it. One of the latest examples of this is the removal of RSS
It's just a matter of time before a major problem arises within the core engine which they wouldn't be able to fix and decide to just call it and switch to chromium
Browsers are significantly more advanced than operating systems now, foss individuals won't be able to handle something as big as firefox
The only company I could see try their hand is redhat but they aren't that much better than google anyway

>microsoft ditches edge in favor of chromium
>now this
wew
e
w

>firefox cucks literally funded entirely by google believe they have any power
absolutely hysterical, just goes to show you mouthbreathers only care about brands

it just werks

Attached: sassfari.png (1024x1024, 872K)

>monopolies are good
>le "don't do ebil"
>multibillion dollar multinationals are you friend
Why are consumers so bad?

Microsoft hasn't "given up". They are going to switch because of electron, not because they can't continue the development of their own engine. In their eyes, it's all the same: it's just a cow milker that comes in blue instead of green this time. And cattle they are, the customers.

Is this bad yes but it doesn't make Firefox not malware you fucking shills.

It never works. If you want to know a good web browser then use waterfox.

>Browsers are significantly more advanced than operating systems now,
And this right here is all the evidence you need to know that the web is an absolute clusterfuck which should be put out of its misery.

HTML is shit. XML is shit. CSS is shit. The DOM is shit. JavaScript is shit. We could have literally used a virtualized OS where web sites were really apps and had a more efficient and more secure world wide web than we have now. Fuck.

I would sacrifice a SJW under a full moon at midnight to have a web which was simple and served the sole purpose of information publishing.
* Use a compact, sane, easy to interpret and draw imaging model.
* Hyperlinks.
* Simple audio/video streaming.
* NO client side code and no fucking pop ups, slide ins, pop overs, or animations.
* Simple form submission.

Fuck everything else. I don't need apps in my browser. I don't need 4gb of RAM to read a god damn blog post. And I sure as hell don't need some stupid fucking animated add jumping onto my screen halfway through a page. The web should be like a magazine but with the option to see video IF I CLICK PLAY.

And it should be possible for a couple nerds to code a web rendering engine in an afternoon.

I want off this ride.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 102K)

user_pref("security.insecure_field_warning.contextual.enabled", false);
user_pref("browser.display.use_document_fonts", 0);
user_pref("browser.onboarding.enabled", false);
user_pref("browser.search.suggest.enabled", false);
user_pref("browser.urlbar.autoFill", false);
user_pref("extensions.pocket.enabled", false);
user_pref("extensions.screenshots.upload-disabled", true);
user_pref("geo.enabled", false);
user_pref("media.autoplay.enabled", false);
user_pref("network.allow-experiments", false);
user_pref("pdfjs.disabled", true);
user_pref("privacy.firstparty.isolate", true);
//user_pref("privacy.resistFingerprinting", true);
//user_pref("security.mixed_content.block_display_content", true);
user_pref("security.ssl.errorReporting.enabled", false);
user_pref("signon.autofillForms", false);
user_pref("ui.key.menuAccessKeyFocuses", false);
user_pref("webgl.disabled", true);

what else?
> inb4 hardened user.js
no thx, there's no point for normal browsing and for pseudo malicious sites like 4 chan you're better off turning off js and using 4c x

With until internet 2.0. We could make a new system to replace ip addresses with different ports and shit.

user is right you exaggerate much, all telemetry can be turned off in settings by any boomer, i bet for all your screeching you haven't even removed the test pilot

>Possible forthcoming changes to extension APIs in Chromium will likely kill off uBlock Ori...

uninstall browser and replace it with something non-jewish

For the last few YEARS they've systematically made FF better.

>there are people using chrome

that's for legal purposes so they don't get sued like ms