Graduated last summer with a degree in IT

>graduated last summer with a degree in IT
>still cant find a job
what am i doing wrong?

Attached: kenny.png (309x302, 84K)

>degree in IT

Attached: 1548037627957.jpg (1228x1150, 71K)

>degree in IT

Attached: suffering.png (726x710, 300K)

please dont tell me i spent 30k on a worthless degree...

>spent 30k on a degree in IT

>degree in IT

Attached: 5aa04662.jpg (960x1540, 144K)

All degrees are worthless dude. People have been saying this for over 10 years at this point.

get a cert and/or an internship, no way around it
and yea...

>30k on a degree

>degree in IT

Attached: bate.jpg (1280x720, 127K)

>degree period

Attached: giphy.gif (400x215, 965K)

>Dropped out freshman year of community college after realizing how useless a degree in IT is
>got an ez sysadmin job at 22 making 60k+ salaried with benefits

just make a homelab and put it on ur resume, learn devops memes

>no degrees think they'll be white collar in 20 years

>degree in IT
why would you do this an A+ cert costs like $200 and is probably worth more

Attached: sneed.png (428x546, 222K)

>still salaried in 20 years
>not owning any business and/or being a rent lord

stupid goys

i'm already making 6 figures user, it's all about who you know. No degree hell the only cert I have is an expired A+, and apple certs. Woohoo.

>user that thinks he is le cunning businessman who can beat the system
>probably has literally said at least once "yeah bro, I TOTALLY coulda been valedictorian in high school if I just like, tried ya know?" *hits blunt*
fucking yikes bro.

out of curiosity, where are you from? because 60k is really good at that age
my guidance counselor from high school told me IT is easier than cs and you make the same amount of money to. i was thinking of doing certs but i dont wanna spend more money on a field that wont hire me, but it seems like its my only option at this point...

>it's all about who you know.
sad truth, experience doesnt matter anymore, you just need the right connections

>don't have degree
>can't get decent job
>have degree
>can't get decent job

So what's the answer, because like OP I'm at a fucking loss.

Nepotism.

PA, live in a small town and drive over a bridge to work in a city that pays pretty well (Not Philly).

unless you consider the innate bond of two white guys I got my job with no contacts at all.

do something in your free time that makes you look good. Projects and experience are infinitely more important than degrees. You can show experience on a resume past "3yrs windows server hurr". Host something, spin up something, document it and present it on a resume. I personally would be significantly more interested at a resume that contains cool shit they did that proves their skill than some degrees. Especially since I'm working with someone with a masters in fuck all who doesn't know shit.

These posts won't age well
Ask yourself why actual boomers are filling university classrooms these days. Hint: it isn't because they made it in real estate or got by on pure experience.
pic related

Attached: >degree in IT.png (1129x220, 3K)

>Especially since I'm working with someone with a masters in fuck all who doesn't know shit.
Case in point

>still blames the system for his stupidity
slaaay comrade

>IT

user i...

Attached: F04742FE-43E1-47D2-901C-AC8E5187C2E2.gif (414x622, 2.84M)

you didn't apply yourself and failed to secure a job during your internships
you probably didn't get all the optional certs offered to you either
should have just tried harder, user

get the lowest tier tech support/code monkey job possible to gain some experience
the move on to IT, without contacts or experience you are not getting in IT unless you luck out
I did that with HS degree, learning about containers, lets encrypt and other shit now

>muh unpaid interncuck meme

if you can't get a paid internship while you're studying you deserve to fail at life

>degree in IT
>expects a job directly after school
Bahahaha, get an internship first, educate yourself properly

Attached: 1526670658959.jpg (600x536, 71K)

- did you do literally anything outside of class?
- are you willing to move or only looking in your area (your area might be shit, mine was too)
- did you make any friends that can help you get a foot in the door?

I graduated with a BS in IT and found a good job via a friend. You're going to definitely have to move if you're not in a tech area if you want anything decent paying.

>- did you do literally anything outside of class?
Tried applying for co-op but I didnt get in because of my low gpa
>- are you willing to move or only looking in your area (your area might be shit, mine was too)
I live about 45 minutes away from Toronto. From what I heard, the tech industry is doing great here. But I am willing to move if its better in America.
>- did you make any friends that can help you get a foot in the door?
I made friends, but their all in the same boat as me.

You're probably a white male, we need more diversity in IT.

Try going to meetups, recruiters are always there. Learn something relevant, programming language, configuration management, something for orchestration with docker for example (like raw k8s, rancher, etc), etc. You need marketable skills and to look for junior positions somewhere.

What's the difference between IT and CS degree? I thought they were pretty similar, no?

This desu fämäläm. The degree is a useless piece of paper that only looks good in your CV. Experience matters a lot more.

Get a job in retail

Attached: 1547947129676.png (249x329, 81K)

get a real job as janitor, IT is for virgins, janitors fuck

But SysAdmins and IT consults are basically computer janitors.

>he does it for free

why would I need to, I got a full time job out of technical school

then why did you reply tomy post you dingus

You spent 30k on an degree but not 300 on a cert?
You must have been sitting on your ass and doing less than the bare minimum to pass.

idk lol

I got paid $25 an hour during my internship
He won't get a programming job with a degree in 'it' and no programming experience.

Not at all? Computer science degree holders usually end up going into software development, IT is technical support.

pretty much, i guess its never too late to get a cert though.

Will i get a job if a help desk if i dont know how to tie my shoes?

I'm a hopeless jobcel too. The literal retarded kid in my cs classes got two internships and a developer job at Chase.
I spent my time doing side projects and he can barely communicate with other people. I don't understand how he got through technical interviews

Attached: 1543824313760.jpg (754x1158, 112K)

>Just get an internship bro, I only applied to one company too.

Attached: 66f.jpg (1242x1394, 156K)

>>dont have a job
>>dont have bills
>>dont have friends/family
>>shitpost frequently and live like a king
Life is good

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-04-08-29-31.png (720x1280, 273K)

Are you me?

Attached: qxu74xcmz8my.png (750x725, 781K)

/thread

Kenny eating too much meat, kek

>graduated 5 years ago with a degree in Science
>still can't find a job
It could always be worse.

I legit don't know what to do. I'm nearly 30 and retraining would only cost more money I don't have.

Attached: DtOKJSNU8AAfoXS.jpg orig.jpg (510x678, 50K)

CS grad. I want to write code but I'm stuck applying for helpdesk positions that pay like dogshit. Blew a chance at my dream job (Software Dev) and I've been drifting ever since.

Maybe I should get a grit my teeth, helpdesk position, tough it out and hang out with /dpg/ to continue building my portfolio. Alternatly use the exp from the helpdesk to get a sysadmin job or something.

Attached: 1528686784369.jpg (600x882, 71K)

>Degree in IT

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Golden Kamuy - 16 [1080p]_snapshot_00.16.03.797_[2018.10.31_19.43.17]_subs.jpg (1920x1080, 351K)

What dis you LEAR in that school? Like, really?
I used to work in IT for almost 20 years, than I got bored, stopped learning new skills, you know wh I do now?
Ventilation & AC. A friend hired me as aprentice, I learned a lot quickly, now I earn more than I did in IT and the job is pretty cool.

>degree in IT
i hope you didn't pay for that...

>Ask yourself why actual boomers are filling university classrooms these days
Why would I ask myself? I asked them instead.
They fell into two camps: boomers updating credentials they already had, and retired boomers getting degrees for the fun of it.

im gonna do arts for cheap and get me some psych

no robots gonna replace me lol

i fucking hate being a zoomer lads. i wish i was a boomer, literally just graduate out of college with 2k debt and find a job 5 minutes after the fact

Can anyone here recommend me a LaTeX resume template?
I need to update mine.

cronyism, nepotism, bribes, soft skills, and being a woman(man)

>Ventilation & AC.
>the job is pretty cool.
heheh...

It really is. It's like lego for adults. You do projects (well, I don't do them just assist) than implement them. Inside restaurant kitchens, on rooftops, on sides of buildings. You get to access places people rarely go, sometimes awsome city landscapes.
Always something doesn't fit the plans so you have to adapt, improvise, like in IT. You meet lots of diff. people, and hardly any basedboy liberal cucks in this job.
I'll probably get back to office job at some point, cause I'm getting old, but so far it's cool.

American degrees

This is me. Applied to one company for co-op, had my interview in the morning and got an offer that afternoon.
>tfw my GPA sucks and I showed up 30 minutes late

Is it a bachelor's degree or an associates?

bachelor's in IT seems cool and chill, ive looked at the course requirements for the it track at my university and it was similar to cs without the deep math and theoretical stuff, which is interesting but pretty useless.

there were a lot of practical networking and security courses alongside the first through third-year programming courses you'd find in cs. if i went that route instead of cs i could have had a social life in college. sounds fun.

Not what you are doing, but what you didn't do: networking.

Sorry to tell it to you this late, buy you don't need any degree to work in IT. Just learn some language and frameworks and you're set. I work in IT for twenty years already and no one ever asked me for my diploma.

What country?

You drive over the Calhoun St Bridge to Trenton, don't you, user?

>mfw they call nepotism "networking" nowadays

>always come to these threads
>got a CS degree with no debt, but always insecure about my ability, never sure what to do to prove I can make good or get better
>never networked because of social anxiety, don't even have internet friends, just a handful of people I sometimes talk to
>read about all the anons who got 300k starting at 19 while I'm wagecucking part time with no prospects

Attached: 1448059154700.gif (499x350, 324K)

bachelor's

>read about all the anons who got 300k starting at 19
unless they live in san francisco, they are lying to you

Woah, hold the phone. You're in Canada and you can't find an IT job? Are you retarded?

I'm half way done my diploma for Sysadmin with no certs yet and have already had several employers call me..on the East Coast lmao.

It's so crazy down here for IT its ridiculous. People are getting jobs right outta College here.

Attached: 1547032932206.jpg (510x476, 26K)

I was wage cuking for 30k before I entered the IT as junior sysadmin and support to wagecuck at 40k, im slowly growing, aqcuiring new certs etc. I hope to grow above 60-70.

>still 25
>no student debt
>living in the midwest

> be me
> Graduate with comp sci and gis degree
> work full-time with school and live at home
> only have 10k in loan
> be outgoing and make connections in the 5 years I attend
> work with company doing free stuff with a college sponsor
> before I graduate, offered 20$ an hour job as an entry level developer.
> take the job
> 2 months after hire date I'm offered a salary
> now making 60k a year at 23

Feels good.

what jobs were they offering? and i dont know what im doing wrong, i have been applying everywhere.

Attached: 231321.png (3804x2380, 466K)

Pretty much basic sysadmin/netadmin jobs, starting at close to $35k with room for improvement.

This is me except I have lost all confidence in my abilities

Hh

im jealous, i have been applying to entry level help desk jobs and still no luck. i think getting certs and reapplying is my only chance at this point.

Well, you pretty much don't even need a college/uni degree/diploma to get an IT job (In Canada that is) as long as you got the certs like Windows 10/Network+/A+ etc.

The sysadmin program I took gets you an IT Sysadmin diploma and up to 17 certs if you wish to take them, but it'd be dumb not to write the exams as you technically paid for them.

30g's and it only got you an IT Degree? What was all involved in your classes? What did you learn?

I've graduated 4 years ago with a remarkable background, internship, and the works and still can't get a job (jew york btw, can't move because I want to stay close to family). I lost most opps to people who are abusing the nepotism/crony system via familial relations, friends, or actual fucking sexual favors. Every mainstream article on how to get jobs is a meme glittered in flowery newspeak which basically hints networking as actual nepotism/cronyism.

The recent job I applied to got "frozen" which is HR speak for taken down. Little detective work and I found out that some slut who was a makeup artist got the fucking job that was being advertised after working as an account manager at the company; and she has 0% (ZERO FUCKING PERCENT) SKILLS WITH THE POSITION. OP's issues don't touch the severity people are in with today's world.

From what I remember it was a range of things like cloud technology, SQL, IT infrastructure, IT management, information security, and java. They pretty much covered most of what the IT industry has to offer

Wow, that's pretty much what we're learning besides java and security.

Ours ranges from hardware components, windows, linux, sql, networking, IT management and more. Plus we get to write 17 certs for less then 20k.

The not having certs thing is hurting you 100%. Go write Windows 10, A+, Network+ or another combo and go apply again. Maybe you'll get lucky and land a gig that will pay for them, hard to say.

>dropped out of college
>27 at a government contractor making 150 + benefits in Florida
>Worked at a major tech company before this
Life's too easy boys

Maybe your resume is bad

>co-op
Canadian? Waterloo?

have you tried making 6 figures while working from home?

fucking millenials

Not OP here im in community College I have some certs and my college is paid off should I keep going for It degree or no?

Attached: 1539568400242.webm (960x540, 1.8M)

>get CS degree, graduated with a good GPA
>get 70k starting str8 out of college
>Imposter syndrome kicks in
seriously my job is way way easier than college, I feel like I am getting dumber on the job. And everyone likes my performance there. It is astonishing.
I'm in ruralish midwest.

thanks for the advice, hopefully the certs will get me a job because the last thing i want is to spend more money and still not have a job.

best merchant i have seen posted on Jow Forums
my last long IT job I got outsourced but they offered us jobs in other departments if we wanted. i could've had same pay as janitor. but i thought it would be better for my career to stay in IT. big mistake in the long run i think.

he was hired to fill their need for a developmentally disabled individual on staff