/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, quadcore; USB 3.0, 32GB RAM in W-series
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p/T540p; W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide (newly updated):
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: qt-T410.jpg (2048x1152, 951K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Install_Gentoo_on_a_bootable_USB_stick)
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Distcc)
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T410-Core-i5-2-40GHz-2GB-RAM-60GB-SSD-Win-7-Pro/223325970108
old.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/wiki/newdocks
ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-for-Lenovo-IBM-ThinkPad-X31-X32-Laptop-4400mAh/183365738102)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Posting again:

Lads, should I get the X1 Carbon or X1 tablet? 16gb of RAM in both cases.

poasting again too
i have a t410 with a smashed screen, i was wondering if i could use the backlight from the t410 in the t60? or that's not how backlight works is it ...
tablet sucks, get the carbon

Attached: images.jpg (260x194, 9K)

thinkpad x200

I'm tryping this on an x200 right now. But I need a computer that can actually run an editor and an android emulator and a node server simultaneously without shitting the bed.

I'll likely for for the X1C but there's this nagging feeling that I should go for the tablet, but I don't know where that's coming from

get a cheap second hand server maybe?
run android emu in vnc mode
node server runs in headless mode because it's a server
and an x200 can run an editor and a vnc client

Attached: screenshot.png (817x245, 66K)

Server in house with virtualization is god-tier, slowly all the computers in this house are becoming thin-clients. If the server crashes we can't stream media but that's ok because the laptop plugged into the tv probably won't let us log in without Active Directory and the firewall will be gone. Real Business Experience™!

holy shit, this sounds like a dream; how do I get started?

>go to local second hand electronics shop/local ebay
>find good deal on server(s)
>buy server(s)
>find palce to put it because these fuckers make a ton of noise
>install gentoo on usb stick(wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Install_Gentoo_on_a_bootable_USB_stick)
>turn ssh and maybe discc(wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Distcc) on on usb stick
>put stick in internal server usb slot because most of them have those for this reason
>turn on server
>prepare for the LOUD AS FUCK fan test
>set up your stuff
>cry when the power bill comes
>realize servers are made to be on 24/7 but don't have to be
>set up watchdog that puts server in s3 when not in use
>set up wake on lan
>use wol magic packet every time you want to use server because 100W power usage on idle
>???
>profit

QP a SHIT
Repa > all

if you hold the right cards, QP Dangerous can be quite, well, dangerous

Any tips for configuring Xfeces? It's my first time using it outside of xubuntu and it doesn't look very good out of the box.

Attached: 3982479203578492.jpg (3024x4032, 2.07M)

If you hold the right cards even chicken can be dangerous

Get the windows 3.1 theme
windows 3.1 icons
Customize terminal to look like it did in win3.1
get the windows 3.1 font

good Ebay deal on a T410 if anyone wants it:
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T410-Core-i5-2-40GHz-2GB-RAM-60GB-SSD-Win-7-Pro/223325970108
(just add Ram)

I'd love it but I'm too cheap to justify buying this when I have about 6 Thinkpads already.

wtf is that thing!?

For the user-kun who asked for my wallpaper last thread.

Attached: C8fE24U.jpg (1920x1200, 646K)

a T410

Install a good, complete gtk theme that looks the same in gtk2 and 3
Install a good, complete icon theme
Tweak the panels to your liking
Change the xfwm4 theme
Remove desktop icons

A qt t410. Can't you read?

Attached: 1530859835279-a.png (1512x1072, 1.45M)

Not sure why I quoted you. I'm sleepy.

Attached: 1530963405276-a.jpg (338x489, 96K)

yeah now i get why the guy in the previous thread didn't like nvidia holy fuck that's hot

any tips for driving a 2k screen with a quadro from 2009?

Attached: screenshot.png (4000x1440, 414K)

>read old.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/wiki/newdocks
uhh...
usb c was a mistake.

>X1 Carbon or X1 tablet?
Will the tablet/drawing function as your PRIMARY use of the machine? -> if yes, then get the tablet
Do you want drawing to be a secondary use of the machine? -> get a 2-in-1 convertible
I personally went from a T420 to a Dell latitude 7390 2 in 1. I went back to do my post grad last year and wanted something I could annotate pdfs and write notes on. Its definitely worth it.
And desu I don't trust any lenovo 2 in 1, even the X1 series aren't real thinkpads. So you are SOL if you want a modern 2 in 1 from lenovo that is well built with a decent screen and wacom AES tech.

Attached: aHR0cDovL2Nkbi5sYXB0b3BtYWcuY29tL2ltYWdlcy91cGxvYWRzL3BwcmVzcy80NTU4MC9kZWxsLWxhdGl0dWRlLTczOTAtMDA3 (775x500, 269K)

>reddit

Attached: 1490655363442.jpg (960x960, 69K)

anons, I always keep my thinkpad plugged in as I have chargers hanging around everywhere and i never leave home,

does doing what I'm doing affect the battery life negatively. What should I do to increase the battery life?

Attached: 2019-01-23_00-00-39.png (75x217, 14K)

Yeah, set it to only charge to 80% to help prolong your battery life.

Is the ThinkPad P1 a good buy (what's the battery life like)? What's the battery life like on the ThinkPad X1 Carbon with 4K screen?

I have an x230t I got for 150. Should I bother selling it and buying a surface book gen 1 or will I notice no difference

Is there a reputable UK source for batteries? Or should I go chinky?

Yeah it doesn't do good for the battery, set stop threshold to around 80% like the other user said. Also check if they recommend draining the battery to ~5% once a month and then charging it up since they used to do so on some older models.

What's the best thinkpad or similar I can get in an x230 like form factor? I had a later one for work that was thinner and had a touch screen but it didn't feel as tough so I didn't like it

Not him but thank you senpai

Attached: 768DC3EEC6DC4942B3D5CDBC12226D26.jpg (632x680, 99K)

Daily reminder the X63 is now up for order.

My new used x60s just arrived Jow Forums. I'm a fling noon and I'm between arch and Gentoo. What do?

Fling noon = between. I'm drunk and phoneposting from the bathroom

>I'm a fling noon
huh?
>arch and gentoo
I used arch for a few years, but I've been using gentoo for the last couple of months and love it. Portage is great. And post install keep-up is dead simple and doesn't take as long as everyone says.
>My new used x60s
user dont be a tease, post pic pls :3
How many you get?

Attached: smile_lain.png (709x720, 247K)

i made the correction here I was between these two as i'm new to ubuntu (I've barely used linux for a university project but i dont't really practice the art at all nowadays). I had the idea that arch has a better learning curve than gentoo. My second worry was about x60s being an old model. I don't know which one is better for an old machine.
Also, sorry if I mislead you with the s at the end, I was pointing out the specific model. It's only my first thinkpad but I'm afraid it will not be my last. Also, sorry for no pic

>arch has a better learning curve
I think the opposite. When I used arch, the install process felt more like copying and pasting commands everytime I installed the system, whereas gentoo I could reinstall the system without having to refer to the handbook for commands/order. I liked arch, the AUR (arch user repository) was pretty awesome. Gentoo has overlays, which seems to be similar in function, I haven't messed with them yet. If you have time I'd try both of them out. Some people can't stand the compiling in gentoo, I don't mind it, and actually love setting USE flags and all that, kind of let me know how everything was connected and what packages depended on what. If you're just looking for a lightweight distro, check out stuff like lubuntu and xbuntu. They're just ubuntu with less demanding desktop enviornments.

>Also, sorry if I mislead you with the s at the end, I was pointing out the specific model.
You're good, I thought about that as soon as I clicked [Post].

>It's only my first thinkpad but I'm afraid it will not be my last.
I know that feel user. I now have 5 x200's, an x220, 2 spare x220 boards, and 5 x200 tablet boards.

Attached: 3trj1eyu6u521.png (1920x1200, 180K)

So I got a new battery (ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-for-Lenovo-IBM-ThinkPad-X31-X32-Laptop-4400mAh/183365738102) for my X31 that I got recently. It previously had what I believe is the original battery from early 2004 so that was completely dead in every way possible.
Problem is, the new battery does not charge at all even though the laptop's charger has power going to it. The battery shows as good health and everything but it says that it is "charging" and using AC power as the source when running off the battery with no charger plugged in.

Has anyone experienced something similar with new batteries on older models and/or knows a fix?

I've got the ThinkPad yoga 460 and owned a ThinkPad yoga x1 they are both solid machines desu

Anyone managed to get the Vga Bios for x201. I've tried numerous methods and had no luck

>kind of let me know how everything was connected and what packages depended on what
That's what I'm currently looking for. I want to be better at computer (I just want to get a better understanding of UNIX systems and I've been a weendows user for far too long). From your description gentoo seems like a better choice. I'm looking for a more stable but lightweight ones are welcome.
>I know that feel user. I now have 5 x200's, an x220, 2 spare x220 boards, and 5 x200 tablet boards.
I've been doing hoarding shit wrong for a long time
p.s. I couldn't help it but that reddit spacing is unsettling

Congratulations, /tpg/, you memed me and I spent 97$ on this piece of fucking shit.

Attached: IMG_20190123_134247.jpg (1440x2560, 2.89M)

>piece of shit
nani

Attached: 1544896308253.jpg (1000x1000, 78K)

Seller said it is "refurbished", but I guess he actually meant that he applied a little bit of glue to laptop after it was drowned, falled out of train window and sat on with his fat 200kg burger ass.

Attached: IMG_20190123_134338.jpg (1440x2560, 2.37M)

Pen is broken, so what did he have to do? Of course, tie a fucking thread!

Attached: IMG_20190123_134431.jpg (2560x1440, 2.43M)

And here is diarrhea-icing of the cake!

Attached: shit.webm (540x960, 807K)

thats a very common issue on the x220 and can be fixed with a bit of super glue or epoxy, what do you expect when you got it so cheap

>cheap
Fuck you, i'm Belarussian and I spent three monthly salaries on that.

you payed like half price for it

Attached: 5aa1db52c58226a2f362e685ce0f0edbc53de54e3f9e7801771ae689269c20e9.jpg (1137x640, 33K)

move somewhere less poor

whats a good cheap monitor to buy used for my T420?

>can be fixed with a bit of super glue or epoxy
Aim for more permanant solution.

Attached: 15478192547770.jpg (1811x2400, 554K)

>97$
Does it even work?

Yeah, it boots Windows 10, but I can't say much about it. Btw, it's i5-2520m model with 320GB HDD and 4GB RAM.

I'm not into anything steampunk but I like what you did. Hpw do you make that shit? Do you have a CNC machine, lathe or some shit?

I like your X220 user. Hope the cooling is fine and usable. Look into getting a T430 + IPS next.

I don't know, found this photo somewhere about a month ago. But I agree it looks cool in some way.

You got me baited you absolute cunt. Still, a bit of an overkill but I like it. If I had access to cheap metalwork I'd do shit like this

Attached: 1546316589333.jpg (540x675, 73K)

>Penis broken
Kek

Attached: 1346108080509.png (850x681, 254K)

Thanks, I feel a little bit better now.
I'm trying to fit a mSATA SSD there right now, but it doesn't fit. Any suggestions?

Attached: IMG_20190123_145313.jpg (2304x1296, 1.33M)

Why do lenovo make so many models of thinkpads? Is it to trick you into accidentally buying a shitty model or something?

Attached: ct.png (425x322, 139K)

To milk the brand

Just screwed it to the board, despite the fact it didn't fit into the circle on the other side. Seems to work. Also increased ram to 16 gigs, works fine. The next step would be removing BIOS whitelist and installing Atheros Wi-Fi card.

Is x220 bios compatible with x220t?

>tfw cleaned her keyboard
she's so much nicer now. the clit doesn't move on it's own anymore.

Does anyone use R400 here? Or I am the only one?

Care to show her to us?

Attached: 20190120_210019.jpg (4032x3024, 2.2M)

him, and thank you senpai

Attached: 1521119270367.jpg (720x770, 159K)

shills out on full force

Attached: hrvVMBJ.png (1318x674, 291K)

Keke
Remember user.
Paid shills are just a myth! There's no proof of it!

Attached: 13007488.jpg (1247x810, 138K)

Is this apple bots or just a trolling?

Holy crackers! They aren't even trying to hide it.

Im thinking about selling my T440 and going back to either my x220 or x200s. My original reason for switching it was the better battery life and screen, the latter has become less important now since I noticed my eyesight is too bad to actually use a 160ppi screen without scaling.

Which distro gets the best battery life on either model? I used Debian before but battery life was more favourable on a stripped down Win7 with graphic animations and other unnecessary shit disabled.

Do you know a better source for that particular information?

I bought an HP ZBook 14u G4, i5 7200U
Will it explode on my face, or something, because it's HP? The only thing that worries me about it is that.
Should I have gone for the T H I C C L570?

> ZBook
They may be unreliable from what I've heard. Otherwise, it's good, on par with other business solutions.

welp...
Unreliable in what ways?
It certainly is an upgrade from my current laptop, but that one is still running strong after 5+ years. I shouldn't have the same expectations from the ZBook?

Under what conditions do I need 16gb of ram? Does web dev/python/C# stuff ever need that much?
My X220 will be arriving soon

Found an auction for a T420 i7 2,7GHz, 160gb SSD and 8 gigs RAM. Looks like it is in excellent condition, except that the touchpad buttons and clitty dont work. I found the buttons for 20 bucks if cleaning them wont work, but how would you fix the trackpoint? Replace? I might get it cheap. Its at 70 bucks right now.
Also would the T420 be a good choice for small coding stuff (want to get into arduino and similar), sending shit to a 3d printer/slicing and maybe streaming video?

Manjaro gets a lot of flack around here but I've noticed I get about 5-6 hours if battery life on my T430 running bspwm and qutebrowser. Maybe give it a spin, because some of the opitimizations are working quite well.

When I first got my X240 with a 1080p panel I had to set the fonts to hilarious sizes, but now that I've gotten used to it I'm running with 9pt fonts and no scaling.

If you are asking us, you probably don't need 16GB.

You'd have to replace the entire keyboard.

Just brought a T420. what am in for?

dude ____ ____

Shitty, garbage screen.

Return it. if you bought it IRL you got what you deserved.

I did some testing and it appears the battery is in fact charging as it's been running at 0% for over 10 minutes now but Battery MaxiMiser or Power Manager are not detecting the battery properly and say that it was completely discharged and that a "83W AC adapter is attached" when running completely off the battery.

It seems to properly detect the charger if I plug in the original IBM battery but it can't read anything off of that either, just gives unknown to everything except battery health which is apparently good after 15 years.

I have a feeling that the problem lies somewhere deeper than Windows XP and updating the BIOS might help but that bastard requires a fully charged battery to be inserted to be done so there's really no way for me to do that as the battery is apparently at 0%

Guess I got a new paperweight since this old ass BIOS doesn't support booting from USB so I'm stuck with a pre-installed Windows XP unless I get a dock.

Attached: IMG_20190123_173904.jpg (3120x4160, 1.65M)

Boot to Linux and see if the issue persists. If it does not, you've got your answer.

Just read your last line, I assume you haven't got an external disk drive? Might be worth snagging an ultrabase if you can find one cheap.

trying to reflash my w530 to remove the battery whitelist, but its not detecting my flash drives. Should I do this on a CD?

Nah haven't got an external disk drive, doubt I can find an ultrabase for this either at a cheap price. Dock + shipping fees would probably end up costing more than I could just buy a T60 or something for.

Where'd you get the edited bios from?

the thinkpad-ec should have automatically pulled the bios from lenovo support. I already have the keyboard flashed, but I didn't realize I needed to enable the battery option (which should have been default since its the xx30 series fault for introducing that crap).

I've only seen an R400 in the wild once. My economics TA used one that he got from a liquidator for insanely cheap- like $120 in 2011, when T400s were still going for four times as much. I think they tended to be sold in emerging markets. As far as I know, the R400 was equivalent to the T400, except there was no dedicated graphics option, you were limited to a 3-cell battery, and they tended to come with awful Celeron M processors and WXGA screens. But if you could find one with a Core2Duo and a 1440x900 screen, theoretically it was the same as a T400. Maybe slightly better since they were thicker and had better heat dissipation.

Damn, I have several, but the chances of me being nearby you are slim.

I feel this has been a "feature" on the Thinkpads ever since IBM dropped the brand and Lenovo started down the "hey we can increase margins by $5 per computer by going with this far inferior screen" nonsense. People were complaining about how crap the screens were on the T400 and T500 back in the day. Only in very, very rare circumstances (basically, W510, W520 and W530 1080p panels) did they not completely cheap out in this department. My T560 at work is just infuriating, I can't get the screen to display proper colours to save my life, and it basically has zero viewing angle- no matter where you put the screen, there is distortion. IBM didn't have the best screens, but they were not widely known for having the worst.