I know it's a lot to ask from neo-/v/ but perhaps we could have a serious discussion regarding using rhel/centos 8 as...

I know it's a lot to ask from neo-/v/ but perhaps we could have a serious discussion regarding using rhel/centos 8 as daily driver? It's currently in beta but I reckon stable will be released by the end of summer.

Here is my take. There are a couple of advantages for using rhel.
First and foremost is ofcourse stability and long term support. Each release gets like 6 years of regular updates and with security updates, it can be used for up to 10 years and they make damn sure that point release updates don't break current software. This is good because if for some reason you choose to not upgrade third party programs (esp. proprietary ones like vmware) for whatever reason, you won't have to worry about them breaking after an update.
RHEL is the most supported distro for proprietary workstation software, tools like vmware, vivado, code composer etc. always put rhel releases at top priority, ubuntu comes second and other distros are mostly on their own in this regard.

There are ofcourse a lot of cons for using a server os for desktop. The most notable thing is lack of official software in repository compared to debian. Practically no multimedia support and no DE besides Gnome
But rpmfusion+epel takes care of most of those needs. You can get a half baked xfce4 by installing it manually. I think most of the plugins are missing though
Another problem is old software, but the most important softwares aka browser gets updated, there usually isn't much needed features that you'd want from programs nowadays anyway. The few exceptions like mpv can be compiled manually. And unlike debian, it's not like redhat never delivers new versions until the next major release, iirc rhel 7 is currently on gnome 3.28 just as an example. Major linux drivers and features are also backported.

Regarding centos vs rhel, both are the same shit but I like redhat's logo better. On the other hand you don't have to deal with subscription fuckery on centos. rhel can be had for free as a developer

Attached: RedHat.png (1920x619, 86K)

i think im going to try running cent on my desktop

Here's a rough minimal install guide to get you started with a basic GNOME desktop.
-install the minimal image either from the minimal iso or the dvd iso
-add your user to the wheel group while installing, so you have sudo ready
-reboot

-if you aren't using ssh, you probably want to stop this service unless you want every botnet on the planet trying to constantly log into your system
systemctl stop sshd.service
systemctl disable sshd.service
yum autoremove openssh-clients openssh-server

-list the installed packages from the minimal group
yum group info core
yum autoremove any of the Default ones you won't use
-use iwl*-firmware to get rid of all the intel wireless firmware at once

-if you don't need a fancy bootsplash
yum autoremove plymouth

-if you won't be using certain filesystems
yum autoremove e2fsprogs xfsprogs or btrfs-progs

yum install xorg-x11-server-Xorg gnome-shell gnome-session-xsession gnome-terminal nautilus gnome-tweak-tool
systemctl set-default graphical.target

I think you will still need some graphics drivers, so here are 2 options.
1) the true minimal option, use yum search xorg-x11-drv and find what you need
2) The easy group install with a small adjustment so only the minimal necessary is installed.
-edit /etc/yum.conf (vi is installed)
-add group_package_types=mandatory
yum group install x11

reboot

If the GDM login doesn't show up, you may also need to do:
systemctl enable gdm.service
I don't know if the graphical.target earlier takes care of this or not.

redhat is garbage. sorry. Use debian, gentoo, ubuntu, or fedora.

for personal use i'd stick with fedora if you like red hat or debian if you want a good minimal os or ubuntu if you just don't give a shit and want a working linux os.
using red hat linux for personal stuff can be a pain but i guess i can see why one would want to use it.

Garbage how?

t. neet

The problem with RHEL (and CentOS by extension) is that they only ship what they explicitly support. For example, with RHEL 7 you can't mount F2FS filesystems because RedHat doesn't support it and they didn't compile it into the kernel.
Furthermore, no support of encumbered multimedia outside of 3rd party repos, which is rather limiting.
CentOS has a band aid in form of a repo with alternative kernels with more features, and there's always EPEL, but it's only a band aid on the underlying problem (and still doesn't solve the codecs).
It's certainly possible to use RHEL/CentOS as a daily driver, but you'd be jumping through more hoops than with proper desktop-oriented distros.

You would be able to compile whatever module you need and load it without having to change kernel. No?
Although I agree that it's impossible to live without third party repos, they aren't much of a problem. Just set it up the first time and go

if you need third-party software that only supports rhel, sure
otherwise it seems pointless, though I guess security is better than on debian

for now I'm using Fedora because it has better battery life. Fedora gets the upstream fixes that are applied to RHEL so it's also ok.
I probably would use RHEL8 or CentOS8 when they come out though. Is not like reinstalling is much of a deal when you have partitions

>wants to use 6 yo gnome

>Gnome 3.28 is 6 years old

>Each release gets like 6 years of regular updates and with security updates
enjoy using the shitty .28 for the next 6 years

3.28 is on el7 right fucking now retard

>3.28
is ancient and buggy as crap enjoy using it forever

>3.28
That's literally only 1 version behind
Go talk shit somewhere else retard

> 1 shitty version behind
ftfy

Gnome as a whole is shit. What's your point

I compile the acpi call module and forget about it since it isn't updated anymore
can't Ubuntu be as minimal as Debian? though the net install iso is garbish
>6 years
???????
there's point releases like every 6 months or so and that gets updated

>can't Ubuntu be as minimal as Debian
Every debian based distro can be installed very minimal using debootstrap. And it will be very minimal, you won't even get an init system and shit like vi have to be installed manually.

I don't know about rpm based distros, but every other self respecting package manager has a way of bootstrapping like debootstrap, arch has pacstrap, gentoo has stage3 tarballs etc.

there's kickstart files, a script for the installer

>Is not like reinstalling is much of a deal when you have partitions
I haven't reinstalled fedora since 25. The dist upgrade tool is getting really good.

looks like the only people that have a problem upgrading between versions are those who have never used Fedora...

>neo-/v/
I wanted to call this out as a typo but it's technically not wrong

>Redhat won't drop gnome and focus on developing Xfce
It's for the better I guess, they'll fuck it up like they did with gnome2