What is your opinion on the many flavour of bsd?

What is your opinion on the many flavour of bsd?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (580x358, 18K)

Yes

I love the FreeBSD logo, it's fucking beautiful, and I am attracted to BSD elitism. But BSD is so shit compared to linux that I can't bring myself to use it. I keep scouring ebay for a deal on a $15 laptop shitbox on which I can run NetBSD or something and keep in the corner as a 'BSD machine' that I can boot up from time to time, update, change terminal colour scheme and post a screenshot in the desktop thread.

this resonates with me so well
love everything about it including the elitism and muh unix but shit doesn't fucking work

does not os need a user base to give feedback in order for shit to work? i doupt linux would be what it is now if not for people insisting on it when it was not half of what it is now.
i guess we will have to wait till the slow pace due to small user base is enough to eventualy make it good. as people that are not the os developers itself wont get into it until it is good

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

pretty sure i have seem this copy pasta somewhere else.
by the way. aint the gnu stuff compatible with bsd? so cant we just make bsd as good as linux with all the gnu software? will it be any diferent?

idk
feedback often doesn't mean anything, even more so considering how little developers fbsd has (firefox and gnome have long lasting issues open for years now)
and the elitism kind of backfires in this case
I once googled if freebsd had any kind of btrfs support (even readonly) because I had hundreds of GBs of important data in a btrfs partition and was planning on moving to freebsd, and they were circle jerking in a forum post about how they had "the real thing and not a rip-off that was btrfs" and how btrfs was a "linux thing" and they didn't want that. funny now considering they're porting ZfsOnLinux back to freebsd to replace their own implementation
kinda sucks having less features because of ass hurt developers

*hug*

It just works 90% of the time.

>Except on the 10% of where there's some obscure error or setting/use I need where no one knows what the fuck is going on!

Attached: kanesz.jpg (200x200, 7K)

>I am attracted to BSD elitism.

to be honest i had problems like this when i switched to linux. it just so happens that things are diferent and i was not used to it.

i think the complains people make of bsd are the same they do of linux when they try to switch from windows or apple. and its just matter of things being diferent.

Which BSD has the best users?

i think its freebsd. it used to be trueos, a freebsd based distro. but trueos is server only now

Its better than linux from my limited perspective

openbsd is worth using in a couple use case scenarios but the rest are not really worth using over linux

I really want to use BSD but shit doesn't work on my hardware. For example there is no two finger scroll on my touchpad (I use a laptop).

cuck license tho =/

BSD, Unix and anything based on them need to get deprecated already. Imagine all those years spent on BSD, Unix and Linux actually being spend on something good and decent? Windows would have been dead in the water 15-20 years ago. But no you fucking idiots need to keep Windows alive.

its not all the things that dont work just question of porting to bsd?
linux community does all this porting billions of times per days for each software into all the diferent linux distros?
so why do they dont just do 1 extra port for bsd?

what would be something good?

My router is pfsense.
My NAS is FreeNAS.
My VPS is OpenBSD.

My desktop and laptop are Fedora because I can install it and they'll just work.

daily reminder

Attached: bsd.png (800x2000, 677K)

but can i sell my software under the gpl license?

Yes.

OpenBSD is the only one that isn't shit.

FreeBDSM is my fetish

Op here, i was talking about the OS, but i guess its good to have some insight about the license too.

if i get to like the os itself i guess i can just make software under gpl and still use my favorite os without risking to lose my code

proprietary license stalls inovation for allowing you to sue someone with software too similar in code.
gpl stalls inovation by removing the motivation to create software because it allows anyone to distribuite your software for free. without the money factor there is less people with interest to make the software under this license.
they are both just as bad as the other

bsd has none of these problems as you can sell software and you dont need to disclose the source code, and you cant sue someone who had the same ideas as you

proprietary is corporativism. only some select few get to have the goods to sell and sell it with the price you want without competition

gpl is communism it removes the property of everybody, and everybody stops working

bsd is capitalism is allow for competition

but who gonna listen to that.
people either want to stop other from making you software but better and take the proprietary licenses. or they are commies and will make software under gpl so you need to make everything free

people wanna improve english

If only I was competent enough to be able to program my own OS and stuff.

Hardware compatibility. That’s it.