Slackware

Is it any good? I'm currently using (((Debian))) but I am interested in Slackware

Attached: slaxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg (256x256, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=x86_64
alien.slackbook.org/blog/
slackbuilds.org/
github.com/zanculmarktum/slite64
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No
It's borderline abandoneware

yes

nobody use it

Yes it's good but just fucking use Ubuntu LTS like a sane person

I like it. If you're interested you should download it and try it out.

Slackware is a fine distro.

ask on linuxquestions.org
everyone loves that shit there

People that use it don't bitch about everywhere they go.
It's one of the finest distro out there.

good thing:

it doesnt have any of the cancerous things most linux distros have in one form or another, it is "pure"

bad thing:

because it lacks many cancerous things which have become mandatory in terms of software compatibility, almost nothing runs on slackware except the packages that come with it

Its a good LTS distro. Everything just werks and is stable as hell. The only downside is that the repo is bare so you have to compile a lot of shit with slackbuilds

The best king of ware.

>(((Debian)))
You are a faggot.

I've never used it but I believe it's one of the few non meme distros(Slackware/Debian/Red HAT) so I'd say it has something good going for it

Slackware is run by computer literate people. If something needs to be run on Slackware, it will run on Slackware.

well if you want to run all the popular shit you need to install systemd to slackware

I didnt claim it wouldnt be possible but then there is no point in slackware when it becomes same shit as the rest of the linux distros

it was bad enough that they integrated pulse audio into it instead of keeping it optional

It's elder boomer tier and can hardly compete with iOS desu

Debianiggers need to stay in their containment distro

It's comfy and there's no bullshit IMO. Give it a spin, see if you like it.

I've been using it for like 6 years now. Best distro I've ever used. I too came from Debian, and it's everything I wanted Debian to be, but better.
>It's borderline abandoneware
This couldn't be further from the truth. Look at the changelog and stop spreading this retarded meme.
slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=x86_64
Also see AlienBob's frequent blog updates:
alien.slackbook.org/blog/
>because it lacks many cancerous things which have become mandatory in terms of software compatibility, almost nothing runs on slackware except the packages that come with it
False. I can't think of anything I need that doesn't run on Slackware. I do art, gaming and video editing all on the same install. See Slackbuilds.org if you're curious about what all it has. In fact, I'd argue it's a thousand times easier to get things working on Slackware because it's package management doesn't treat you like a fucking retard and will let you take care of things yourself if you have to.
slackbuilds.org/
No bullshit is an understatement.
>well if you want to run all the popular shit you need to install systemd to Slackware
What popular shit? I can't think of a single goddamn thing I use that requires System D.

Attached: systemd.png (640x480, 289K)

somewhat true but, the base is actually as good as any other distro or better.
If there's source of it, it will run in slackware. As it doesn't lag much behind with glibc or the kernel. The problem is people don't package for slackware so you are on your own compiling and resolving dependencies.
That doesn't sound too hard as long as all compilers and libraries are already in the default repo.
But a lot of desktop shit is probably missing so a normal setup should take some compiling.
I've never tried it because of that, I just use Fedora or CentOS depending on the machine. Though Slackware sounds fucking great

>That doesn't sound too hard as long as all compilers and libraries are already in the default repo.
With the full install they probably are.

>I have never tried it

you should try it to find out lots of things really doesnt work even after dependencies being installed after compiling them

Never had a single package from slackbuilds not work.
Never had anything compiled from source not work (of course I wrote my own slackbuilds for those).
This is includes installing required dependencies. Perhaps you don't have enough experience to know how to read compiler and make errors effectively.

I use this github.com/zanculmarktum/slite64
and everything works just fine

You shouldn't recommend a testing branch for production use. I understand it's stable compared to other distros, but it's underhanded.

That being said, Slackware main is outdated. Have a good one!

Am using current right now, breddy gud m8. Not using KDE tho, just openbox.

Couldnt be easier to use, literally switched from win7 and didnt gave 2 shits about going back.

hey i too came from debian to slackware and i fell in love with it the moment i had started using it. never looked back and i feel very little a need to

>Implying anyone mentioned production business use.
>Implying Debian stable/old-stable isn't just as old as Slackware main.
>Implying he has any clue what he's talking about.

Slackware "testing" is as rock solid as your average general release distro.

I wasn't recommending a testing branch I was showing that it was not abandonware, Hell, most of the packages in a fully updated 14.2 are newer than Debian.
>>Implying he has any clue what he's talking about.
I actually use Slackware, so suck my dick.

Idk but

Debian and gentoo are the only good distros

Installing it is fun as an exercise but I can't imagine why you would want to actually use it for anything.

Now that you can run without puleaudio again slack is a good stable distro. There is just one negative thing: you are going to end up, sooner or later, compiling some packages manually. If you can handle that, you'l be fine.

OP said Slack, not arch

it gets worse:

take a wine from slackbuilds
it compiles

but it wont run any Windows program

in other linuxes wine will run at least some programs

You're probably missing some of the D and L packages, either that or you're a complete retard.

Pic related.

Attached: bblackwine.png (640x499, 572K)

You misspelled mint cinnamon

>I'm currently using (((Debian)))
why?

Attached: 1532865167173.jpg (735x456, 21K)

Slackware is fucking based and easy as shit to use.

Attached: image.jpg (600x600, 320K)