I finished installing gentoo, it was fun

I finished installing gentoo, it was fun.

Attached: Gentoo.png (666x800, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
lwn.net/Articles/777389/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Have fun maintaining it, then.
Here's a kitteh for you.

Attached: cat.jpg (960x877, 111K)

now install it in a vm

why?

Attached: SAM_0381.jpg (1728x1152, 907K)

literally whats the point of gentoo? isnt it just ricey rice

Literally everyone here says "install gentoo" so I thought heck why not, sounds like a fun challenge, it's not like I'm going to get much use out of the machine I installed on, see specs

how much swap did you allocate?

2GB

it's great if you hack on the software you use because of overlays and patches, or if some particular use case of yours isn't covered well by traditional distros

if you really care, ask some actual non-meme non-imageboard-dwelling gentoo users for their reasons

you have xorg and some window manager yet?

Good job, duge

Attached: IMG_20190122_151838.jpg (2048x1152, 951K)

Good job. Did you used -O2?

Installing gentoo as well at this very moment. Starting for the third time for now. The first time I blindly followed the handbook and assumed I had BIOS instead of UEFI. The second time I caught some obscure bug with openssl 1.1.0+ that breaks some python packages.
Now installing with
>=dev-libs/openssl-1.1.0
in my .mask.

You're a few versions behind on 4.14 what the fuck are you doing

that's the newest stable kernel

Nice, did the same thing a few days ago.

Attached: 2019-01-23-205842_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 1.48M)

>literally whats the point of gentoo?
basically, it's to provide you with all the advantages of compiling packages from source while being as easy and convenient to use as any other distro

No, 4.14.95 is

CloverOS fag?

no, 4.14.83 is

I have a spare hard drive I can use. Should I install Gentoo on my T60?

How the fuck can you can a pc without a gui? How am I even supposed to install a gui? I must be retarded
And don’t tell me I don’t need one. There are so many fucking things I do on my pc that absolutely 100% require a gui

Not yet, only got one internet cable here and had other things to do, I need to get a switch. What wm do you recommend? I was thinking iceWM.

Can't remember

I had some breakage with perl when trying to install wpa_supplicant, I just gave up on it and plugged a cable in, I'll fix the wifi later.

packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources

Sure why not, if you're into linux, trying new things and learning.

>How am I even supposed to install a gui? I must be retarded
Basically yeah, on arch for example it's just sudo pacman -S [desktop environment name]

No, look on kernel.org. the reason Gentoo 4.14.83 is marked in Gentoo is because queen ferrazi has been too busy sitting on my face.

lwn.net/Articles/777389/

Attached: Gentoo-AliceFerrazi.jpg (150x225, 15K)

Now rice it

One of us.
Trips confirm.

Bonus points if you customize your kernel and USE flags until your startup time is less than 2 seconds

usually i just follow the guide to install what ever desktop enviroment i want, also using the command line for some tasks is so much easier

tfw ancient hardware
>pentium m
>mechanical harddrive

That is the fucking point of customizing the kernel. You probably do not need 75% of what is in it if you got an old system.

>install an OS
>challenge
oh wow

probably
Wasn't that much of a challenge after all, it's just following the handbook and you're done. Everyone just acts like it's an impossible task. Kinda like people saying that installing Arch is hard. Just follow the installation guide on the wiki and you're done.

I installed Gentoo, then realized that I valued my time a half hour into my xorg compile. Installed Slackware.

And then what do I do when it doesn’t work?

you off yourself because it's impossible to mess up installing a package

Shit like this really turns me off from linux

I've been trying on and off for a while to install Gentoo but I can't even get it to boot. When I try to boot it, it comes up with VERIFICATION CODE FAILED (0x1A). I've tried googling it, but nothing relevant seems to appear. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?