IBM's CEO: "college degrees are useless"

gizmodo.com/ceo-of-ibm-says-hiring-based-on-skills-instead-of-colle-1831977815

Attached: 5-Allison.jpg (1290x1000, 120K)

Other urls found in this thread:

postmeritocracy.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

based and redpilled

no shit when you only hire people from the most nepotism affected colleges in the world

Only thing I learned in college was how to format reports, meet deadlines and take criticism well. Also helps you learn to know your place.
Techfags without degrees can be highly skilled but overconfident.

its true...

i have only finished high school and my job title is "software engineer". suck my dick engineering students..

you can learn diligence, commitment and discipline and from the church

no need to burn a ton of money and precious years of your youth

duh
any company that hires based on degree (instead of it being just a minor filter) deserves to go under

Jow Forums on suicide watch.

Attached: wew.gif (382x308, 1.47M)

based and Terry-pilled

Depends on which ones.
Gotta have professional teaching, clearance, and laboratories, and field-experience for a lot of STEM, software cuckery and pure math excluded, which can only be provided by universities.
Her liberal arts degrees are of course useless though.

I'd fuck her in the pussy and cum on her hair if you know what I mean

BASED

Is Allison single?

>her

Duh. College degrees are worth nothing, anyone can get one for trading their time and wealth for it. But not everyone has the skills, with or without college.

True, true.
That's why the bulk of USA software is written in eastern europe by people with degrees.

That's okay, we have mandatory service here, I was over a year in the military and probably know these things far better. Then again I did also go to the uni, just never to collage.

Terry went to college.

Looks like a millennial

The point isn't that college degrees are useless, but that companies should stop looking at degrees as the most important metric.

I doubt they ever will because it's a decent starting filter. You lose some people that have the skills but not the degree and some people that have a degree but not skills remain, but HR needs to do less actual work if they just use that as a filter.

That picture is neither the CEO of IBM, nor the author of the article.

NAZI!
fucking bitch, how dare she imply people should be hired on merit and not to fill the diversity quotas!

>learn your place
Good goy

obsessed

Why dont police just use skin color as a filter and throw all niggers in jail?

tired of these rich clowns who get handed their positions through nepotism

let it all burn

nice bait but can you not be a retard next time and stop using ... everywhere

entry level job at ibm still requires
>4 year degree minimum
>5 years of experience
>5 references
>2 year probationary period if hired

this so much. all these tech companies CEOs say shit like this, and then when you actually get a job at IBM you'll find they require a college degree.

Same with Tesla. Elon Musk says college degrees are not important, then requires you to have one to work there.

Attached: 1518638756006.jpg (561x450, 95K)

I studied mechanical and composite engineering. I learned a whole lot in school, plus made friends I learned more from. That said, I paid 14k per year for my studies and when I looked it up today it would be 30k per year. I feel bad for people having to do the college thing today.

>Only thing I learned in college was how to format reports, meet deadlines and take criticism well
This sums it up nicely. I would say the 'meeting deadlines' skill is really a broader 'get in the habit of finishing things' skill. The one benefits not mentioned I'd like to add are the insane `teachers pet` points that it gives you - all normies respect you more for having a degree and you're basically a permanent good doggy in mommy's eyes.

This.
>IBM's CEO: "college degrees are useless"
demagogy

What did he mean by this?

"IBM"? Never heard of that app.

He hires engineers that are not actually engineers then? I guess the CEO doesnt care if his doc haves a degree either, its just a piece of paper!

I work for one of IBM outsourcing centers, they won't even talk to you without diploma.

>hires based on skills
>pays 70% of previous wage because new employees don't have a degree
nothing personnel collegelets

going straight to work or getting an apprenticeship in tech is possible in big cities but what about those of us in small towns and remote areas? sometimes a move to college or degree is the only way we can get into the areas with the industry

BASED

It's the fucking opposite.

They are only saying that so they can pay their employees less.

Actually no, this is not based. Its only opening the way to more diversity hires/ refugees and such. Its a scam.

EE graduate in ASIA here
The student who get good are the one who suck Prof. dick

>Have BS degree
>2 masters
>Apply to IBM.
>Lol you need references from specifically approved people and need a gazillion years of experience
I hope they go under, because I am still mad they did not hire me

>jewish woman explains how she didn't need skill or education to land her job
lol

Attached: 1541499828115.jpg (1080x1080, 168K)

>Also helps you learn to know your place.
so it teaches you to be a slave

user probably meant that fucking with the people above you can have consequences that seriously affect your life. Some things aren't up to you to decide even if you think they're retarded.

Europoor here, I'm paying around 3k € to get my bachelor's degree, then I'll pay 2k for a master and I'll be ready to steal your American jobs while graduates from the US drown in student debt. If I remember correctly Trump said you want skilled immigrants from Europe.

Going to college to learn programing is sort of stupid

trump does but companies don't. European education doesn't mean shit in the US because employers don't know what the curriculum is like. most European elites send their children to the US for higher education.

>tfw turned down a chance to get an internship at IBM shoved down my throat when I was still in HS
I'd rather die than spend time working in a leftist echo chamber, and I got a job in the field right after I graduated.

Attached: shrug.jpg (1090x1200, 117K)

Why would they care that much about the curriculum? I can tell them about it when I apply for jobs, besides I imagine they'd want to know what languages I know and to see my GitHub

>be me
>graduate high school
>go to school for mechanical engineering
>get part time job at a manufacturing plant
>position opens for a programmer who knows CAD and drafting
>took trimester classes of AutoCAD and coding in high school
>apply for position bc why the hell not
>holy shit, get the job
>ditch school, it's for geeks

>2 years later
>managing new ME hires
>still glad as fuck I abandoned the ME degree 2 years prior
>mfw

Attached: 1540608161438.gif (540x302, 517K)

country???
Probably not asia right??

>people above you
so it teaches you to be a slave

user can you pls not pretend to be a retard for just a moment.

cute girl

wow, that is sexual harassment

it's not pointless it makes it so hr doesn't instantly reject your application. of course job experience is better but you can get a job or internship without a degree

Attached: 1505107182468.jpg (867x720, 110K)

>IBM CEO
Meanwhile, companies that matter like Google, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, continue to value college degrees.

who the fuck wants to work for ibm lmao

>yet another retard that thinks CS is programming
Lol

I work for IBM and they require you to have a uni degree to work here...

mute all ibm corporate shill threads

fuck ibm dogshit company, a practical manufacturer of assholes.

>hiring based on skills
Wait. Isn't that verboten by the new inclusive covenant code?
postmeritocracy.org/
Ibm is literally waffen ss and allison is literally hitler.
Please someone ff this to coraline.

>mute all ibm corporate shill threads
you mean all 1 of them? I haven't seen a thread mention IBM in over a year

Friendly correction: American college degrees are useless

Someone without a degree won't be able to build a system, design a chip or take responsibility in creating something.
Those without a degree are like plumbers.
Plumbers, like programmers, learn the job while working. You become a better programmer while working. Ibm tells you that in order to become a code monkey, you don't need a degree. Good programmers with a degree are expensive and have higher standards.

And yet every job they offer requires a degree. IBM CEO's compliant is that college students are not getting the education they should for the degree they earn.

Colleges are useless everywhere.
In europe you have 3 year degrees from colleges. You don't get to pick advanced undergraduate courses in that amount of time.
In my country we have unis with 4 year study duration and there are the technical unis which offer all the engineering degrees and they have 5 years of minimum studies. In some countries those guys have their degree recognized as bsc and msc.

In my country a motor mechanic does a 5-year apprenticeship. Tell me about your 3-year CS degree.

>In my country
>In my country
why do non americans do this? why not just say your country?

Yeah, let me correct that, I've got a 4 year industrial engineering degree, from college (msc. IT and Electronics). As much as i discredit this degree by its valuation (as the technology field in general advances much faster than what the degree covers) it's surely is a handy leverage item to get a proper job position. Even the bachelor degrees have enough credibility within the industry to get a proper job position.

>2 year probationary period if hired
wat?

Good luck getting any skills without a degree LMAO. If you can't do college you're a brainlet, it's that simple

>"college degrees are useless"

why are you quoting something that she didn't say?

My cs degree was 4 years with mandatory thesis.

You have to understand 1 thing though with IBM, this is a very large company. With a rather large margin in regards to quality. they have proper R&D departments on one side and complete shit tier on the other. Personally, i can talk of the latter, worked with IBM India for a year, which was batshit terrible in regards to project and code quality. But I'm sure IBM also has proper departments withing the company.

>every job has college requirements
>IBM hires pajeets cause no one meets their hiring requirements.
unless it Cambridge, Oxford or the Sorbonne no one cares about Europe.

As a consultant at a tech consultancy, IBM is a shithouse. Their cloud offerings are pure garbage. You want to spin up a new VM you have to fill out a form and wait 2 weeks for it to be signed off.

They're not leaders in tech anymore just like degrees don't help getting jobs in tech anymore.

He's right though. I can speak my mind at my job without fear of retaliation. I can say something is downright retarded, and in fact my superiors expect me to do so, after all I'm saving them from a huge time and money sink.

If I had to work somewhere I had to "know my place" I'd probably just freelance. Then again, I doubt that's what uni teach kids these days, except for very bottom tier ones that can only hope to produce dumb code monkeys.

it means you got not job security until 2 years are up.
it mean they can fire you in before 2 years, if they don't like u.

Mostly unemployed U of Michigan grad here, can confirm. 3.8 GPA, b.sc in computer science. 4 years at GM, 2 years at Chrysler. Never fired, never written up, good recommendations from everyone I've ever worked with or for. Normie social media with nothing bad on it at all. No criminal record. Interview well, over 6' tall, not fat, not hideous, socially well-adjusted.

Unfortunately, I'm a white male so I get filtered out by practically every HR department.

Attached: Beef-Jerky-Recipe-5.jpg (660x990, 64K)

deluded

Makes sense but we have a +30 year old experienced masters grad that is absolute ass at programming

+1 i'm in a position as well where i can just speak my mind in regards to any project detail/technology/procedure. It's a godsend, especially if you wan't to maximise (time) efficiency in a time constraint project. In a consultant position (which i was for 5 years) you have far less leverage. Hated it. Especially when you had project managers which had absolute zero knowledge in regards to the IT side of the project.

By not saying the country makes the post get less biased from others.
My post here refers to greece.
I went to a cs uni and had the guy who designed risc ii (katevenis).
Does this add anything to the conversation?
If not let me describe you this.
In u.k. where the colleges and "unis" are mostly driven by tuitions and funds can and will give you a bsc in 3 years and a msc in 1 year(though unable to continue for a phd). Also someof them like the one in Coventry has profs without a phd. On top of that they will allow you to get msc without even one publication/paper and even for the phd you won't have a couple publications as mandatories.
Countries don't matter when talking about academic institutions, because in one country there are the good and the bad ones.
I finished my 4 year bsc and I already have 2 conference papers. In some fields that might not seem much, but it CS and E.E. it means a lot.
Right now I am on my E.E. M.Sc. with a mandatory thesis and obviously I am doing research at a level that I will be seeking at least one paper from it.

I've had three different hiring managers tell me I don't tick any diversity boxes when I followed up after an interview. Why do you think I'm deluded?

It does the opposite, you are hired on the merits of your work. Most people with degrees are bloody useless and include the groups you mentioned who get easy entry to university.

>millennials
>church
They unironically worship satan out of spite because they were diddled in catholic church and by their parents

All those companies dropped their degree requirements before IBM actually. IBM is just trying to bandwagon them like always.

CS isn't about programming.
Aside from The 2-3 that you will be taught in order to get you going imthrrough projects and courses, in cs you will have to learn math and then all the concepts behind cs.

Yes I know, Im a CS grad who works at IBM. He is shit at programming, web dev, and even understanding anything we say hello even attending meetings. Degrees don't solve low IQ

what even is the point in CS if it's not about programming

Tbh I deliver pizza all the time to people in college and people that are finished with degrees

And they're still to fucking stupid to order pizza, ordering dumb shit by accident, not having their money ready or card declining at the door after they can't figure out how to work the debit machine. Then they ask ME for help like I'm the adult and they're a child still. That is, if they didn't order then go to their friend's dorm and put the wrong number on the order or have their phone off because the iPhone has no battery life.

Like some people with degrees fail in 3 or 4 different ways during a pizza delivery. I don't know how you would employee these college graduates for anything, they're like 25yo children.

Its about CS.

>got an IT job out of HS because my brother worked there

fuck college. biggest racket of all time and every idiot falls for it. It's all about skill and who you know.

They dropped the "requirements" sure but you can't tell me that Google doesn't place some value on a Stanford degree or w.e.

You are deluded because if you are so great as you say you are then you are a catch for any company regardless of diversity policies.

Secondly, those diversity policies only apply for large corporations as smaller/medium sized companies don't give a shit. Finally, those polices are a "nice to have" quality and would not make or break a hire of a person.

>t. a whytemann who has worked at large corporations before.

Also you live in the biggest fucking economy in the world that is experiencing a boom yet you still can't find a job? Sad!

You deliver pizza for a living. Why do you think you're superior to anyone lol

Notice how I didn't say I was great. I'm a capable employee, probably well above average. I'm highlighting how someone who has done practically everything correctly still has a problem finding a job, pertaining to the OP's link about college degrees not being much of a factor in hiring today.