Is M.2 worth all that extra money or is it all placebo meme?

Is M.2 worth all that extra money or is it all placebo meme?

Attached: 81ebu%2BOzUYL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1000, 142K)

M.2 is just a form factor.

*NVME is the form factor.

>all that extra money
What extra money though? NVMe and SATA M.2 drives cost just as much per GB as 2.5" SATA ones.

M.2 is the form factor, NVMe is the protocol/standard. You can use NVMe over M.2, U.2 or straight PCIe.
M.2 can support many things, like WiFi and WWAN cards, not just NVMe and SATA SSDs.

weak bait but I still replied.

this
no more reason to not buy it if your board supports it

Completely wrong
This user is right. Most motherboard M.2 slots are only SATA anyways. All you're doing is saving space in your case. It might even perform worse.

>Most motherboard M.2 slots are only SATA anyways
citation needed

nvme runs hot and have more data loss

It is worth it overall for the performance edge (the newer ones are becoming up to 5-6 times more in performance compared to older Sata SSDs where read and write is 500MBs) but unlike Sata SSDs there can only realistically one NVMe M.2 SSD in the machine without impacting on your PCIe lanes which in turn would cause a bottleneck of sorts that would impact your graphics card (unless you have a HEDT or other PC with more PCIe lanes than normal) and is purposed more towards active use rather than long term storage (HDDs are better overall but SSDs can be useful for less used modded games that have various mods).

Upside of these M.2 SSDs is they have made normal Sata SSDs cheaper.

It is advise checking the particular M.2 slots on the motherboard you want in case one or more aren't are natively supported slots (rely on Sata or other controller, not from the CPU controller) which would reduce the performance you should get.

I don't like how hot my 970 runs, it runs at around 50°C when in use and and heats up to 61 just playing mine-craft, I I know SSD are rated for up to 75°C but these temperatures worry me, the performance gains over the 970 aren't even that worth it IMO.

Attached: Screenshot+2019-01-23+at+22.16.34.png (971x589, 398K)

autism

cure for your down syndrome needed

You're just jealous I use a better OS.

>cure for your down syndrome needed
In other words, you don't have an answer.

>Most motherboard M.2 slots are only SATA anyways
Not on my gaming motherboard

>using an M.2 drive renders unusable two SATA connectors
Fuck this shit.

you want to get the nvme gen3 or higher. They are about 10% faster in real world usage than your typical sata.

I like my 970 evo. Makes me load vidya faster so I get to shit talk my buds while I wait for them

Are you on an Intel platform?

Usually, with real technology companies like AMD, only if the 3rd or 4th PCIe slot is occupied does the SECOND M.2 only operate in SATA mode. All SATA ports always work.

Attached: 1548268495836.webm (320x240, 2.95M)

>Buy $500 NVMe TB drive
>Shitty game coding
>Game decompresses and loads assets only with one thread
>Loads only 3% faster than the cheapest Alibaba SATA SSD.

Attached: 1534973234399.png (321x321, 12K)

Save you an extra SATA port. Do you need that extra SATA port?

has a much faster read speed and marginally faster write