Programmers forced to retire at 40

What will non-silicon valley programmers do once we hit our industry age ceiling? Most of us don't make $140,000 USD in base pay, we cant afford to retire at 40 like all the google/netflix/amazon developers.

Are we doomed?

Attached: ageism.png (960x981, 105K)

>start at generic silicon valley tech from 18 with 80K/y for and raised to 100K in a year
>raised to 125K in another 5 years
>then to 150k in another 5
>then to 175k in another 5
>then to 200K in another 5

>80k + (100k x 5) + (125k x 5) + (150k x 5) + (175k x 5) + (200k x 5)
$3.8M salary in 26 years. Thats enough to retire. If not, you can get a administration job in IT and get even more or go solo.

Median age means half the people in the company are older

by 40, you should have learned how to be self-sufficient.

you're only screwed if all you ever did was frontend and php by 40

>what are living expenses

>Omg why do I need to take math class for a CS degree
>can't understand a median

At last I truly see

even if 38 is a median, thats a very young age

ive read that programmers over 40 end up transitioning to other fields instead of learning the javascript framework flavour of the month for the nth time

>What will non-silicon valley programmers do once we hit our industry age ceiling?
We'll form an international programmers' labor union.

Imagine not knowing what the word median means, I am sorry user but you can't post here anymore.

Didn't mommy tell you that things cost money?

we know what median means asshats

its the fact that you will be passed along for promotion, are more likely to get sacked because you don't "personify the company start up culture"

>ive read that programmers over 40 end up transitioning
you heard correct.

Attached: C8RIF3PU0AAgvkR.jpg (720x1280, 155K)

>Retards don't know how to make money other than working for someone else

40 year old boomers are smart enough to leave and go be overpaid somewere easier because they have a nice resume

>what are senior positions
>what is keeping up to date with the market

Myself and all of my peers literally can't stop getting job offers on linkedin.

Attached: 49135365_2221913288049156_1808684799351586816_n.png (680x680, 76K)

Kek, but sad.

Top zozzle
>$3.8m can retire at 26
See you at 50 when you're flat broke

>needs to active income in retirement
Kind of defeats the purpose
>no I meant passive
Not going through the math of investing your entire net worth with "safe" drawdowns over sixty years. It doesn't work out user

If I wanted to, I could retire at 30 with $1M.

Invest in 4% growth asset, and withdraw 2% a year for living expenses. Slightly frugal with $20K per year, but who cares as long as your income lasts an infinite amount of time.

Youre fucking retarded please shut up

>hurr durr

not an argument

>hur dur i can retire on 20k a year im a idiot
Stfu

As a neet, I lived on 10K a year income. Rented an apartment and ate frugally.

@30, with a modest house that you already own, you can easily live with 20K a year almost anywhere in the US.

You're a retard if you think you need more than that. If I owned a house, 10K a year is more than enough for myself.

No one wants finacial advice from a retarded poor neet povertyfag

That's not the argument.

Try again or give up?

Become professors

>you can retire at 30 and live for 60 years off 20k if you have a paid off house
You cant and i dont need to explain why

Attached: 1538330035970.jpg (640x461, 34K)

You do know that I said infinite right? Not 60 years.

4% growth - 2% expenses is 2% growth.

Can you not do math?

>he's 30 and he doesn't own a house

>Start at 18
Opinion discarded. And I'm a europoor that didn't even pay for my soft. dev degree.

Programmers get paid very highly in America, so it's certainly possible for them to retire in their 30s.

20k isnt liveable fucktard and old people have poor health and it costs tons money, cars cost money, when you need a new roof on this house you plan to live in "forever" its 10k. Ac, fridge, wish washer, washer dryer all break. Also in 60 years your 20k is worth a 4th of what it was because of inflation. Im done replying youre trolling because you cant be this ignorant.

If you're living the NEET life you can live in rural areas where real estate and living expenses are dirt cheap. The only way this isn't viable is if you fall for the wife meme.

I lived a neet life in a slightly above average city(1M pop) @ 10K a year.

If I was in rural area, that 10K a year would have gone a bit further and I could've lived by myself.

>not getting married
t. degenerate

Thats just your opinion man. Literally. I have lived the life at 10K a year for 4 years. With 20K, I can easily live a comfortable life. You don't need to buy $40K car or expensive $300K house.

>give half to another person
No thanks.

I love on about a thousand a year i am homeless and live under a bridge. see guys 20 year olds can retire its possible. Just live with absolutely not quality of life and die early

t. someone who hasn't done programming professionally

I find it's less about age and more about the fact that older developers get arrogant and complacent. Somebody with 20 years of experience who has been improving, learning new skills is incredibly valuable. Someone with 20 years experience who hasn't kept their skills sharp isn't.

Also, there's a perception that married people with family have less dedication to their job. They're also less able to take risks or move across the country to pursue higher paying positions.

>start at generic silicon valley tech from 18 with 80K/y for and raised to 100K in a year
top zozzle you're gonna be disappointed next year buddy

Inflation isnt an opinion fucktard and homes dont last forever without repair this website is for adults

I don't think you're clear on what a median is.

I'm also a fellow europoor.

Even though life in most of non-Eastern Europe is pretty alrite, American's make so much money it's unreal.

Attached: 1412512018416.jpg (455x642, 165K)

>20k isn't livable
Sure, if you fall for the marriage/children scam. I live on 24k USD in a decent sized Canadian city just fine (paid in USD)

>you can life off 24k and welfare
Im aware but we said retire not be a fucking leech. You cant draw welfare and be retired

Stop it. You are a millennial baby. We get it. Actual home owners fix their own shit and have insurance/maintenance money saved up for emergencies.

Inflation is counted by any sort of growth in investment dumb fuck. 4% growth is just a smallest growth average.

The average american is way worse off than the average Europoor, 0 savings and if any kind of crisis hits (mainly medical) they're pretty well fucked. But yes some highly skilled positions make bank.

YOU HAVE NO MONEY TO REPAIR YOUR HOME WHEN IN 30 YEARS YOUR 20K IS WORTH 10K AND YOUR ROOF COSTS 25K TO REPAIR. YOU CAN ROOF IT YOURSELF AS AN OLD FUCKING MAN AND THE COTY WILL CONDEM YOUR HOME IF IT ISNT LIVEA ME KYS REDDITOR BABBY YOURE A DUMBASS

>stop living in Canada its not fair you have free college/health insurance
Cry more

Do you knw what median means????

a:
>what is median?
b:
there actually aren't that many 40+ y.o. programmers to begin with. How many people were studying CS in 1995 or 2000 compared to, say, 2015?
So no wonder there aren't many of them in most offices too.

Attached: 136035278899.png (700x714, 579K)

>governemt gives me free things i dont have to pay back and its great!
Subhuman welfare leech

There's a thing called financing. There's a thing called emergency savings fund.

You're posting here is a definition of childish millennial trash entitlement. Not everyone is helpless as you.

cope harder, murrifat

It's a good point you raise.

I graduated with 0 debt and healthcare here is """free""".

Even private healthcare here is 50€ a month.

It is seriously mind boggling how broken some things in the American system are.

>but will never have enough money for shiny cars and stuff

Attached: IMG_20180406_124706.jpg (1920x1080, 370K)

I don't take welfare and my university wasn't free.

I actually make 85k usd and live off 24k.

Are you mad because you fell for the marriage meme or something and you're jealous that somebody can live off very little money instead of shelling out tens of thousands for home repair and roastie financing? You're absolutely seething about the idea that someone lives cheaper than you lmao

Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of nigger shit with down syndrome.

if you aren't into management at age 40 you're completely retarded/autistic anyways

[GO]

20k is extremely frugal even in rural shitholes

>2019
>AOL
>young retards are its base

No it isn't, you can easily live on 1k a month even in a city, you just have to have room mates.

>Boomers at IBM
JUST

To be honest anyone in their 40s should have advanced to a project management, team leadership or more design level role rather than being a monkey in the trenches.

Designers/architects still program m8.

At least good archs do

G is retarded and thinks you need six figures to live . There's really no need for more than $30k. If I was still a dev after 40 I'd kill myself
You have to be hardcore autistic or soulless to want that . Technology is awful

>hurrdurr technology is awful and people who enjoy it are soulless
Leave normalfag

How can you look at modern day and think it's good ? Forced fake progress in every industry . The removal of intuitive user experience that's worked for decades for technology nobody asked for but we're going to spend decades tweaking, creating and then solving problems while everyone claps. Everything is getting slow . If you buy the new tech that keeps coming and upgrade you need a bullet . The only way to fix the situation is boycott. I love technology and that's why I'm not going to support any of it. The same arguments and discussions from 20 years ago given a thin new coat of paint. Collectively flushing down dignity and beauty to attain the long cold embrace of the void in the name of progress. Excitedly bounce up and down to the day when our cold naked bodies are stacked on top of each other . We are surrounded by George Parkers and we hug them as brothers . No one is safe not even those who have completely escaped to the digital world . The net shrinks . The machine stops.

>t. javascript "engineer" who conflates consumerist with technology

Idk about all your schizo rambling bullshit, I just enjoy programming and systems architecture and scaling systems to massive levels and couldn't see myself in a normalfag career where I have to pretend to be neurotypical.

>consumerism bad
The ultimate normalfag meme

We get it . You fell for propaganda

Well if you have Tyrone over every night eating your Doritos and and drinking all your Gatorade after plowing your wife and daughter $20k is definitely not enough.

Ive no fucking idea what im writing about, but ill do it anyway - the thread.

Attached: giphy.gif (493x342, 480K)

>all modern consumerist gimmick tech panders to consumers
>normalfag meme
Ok, kiddo. Go back to your no-SDcard phone and no headphone jack and social media JS cancer.

I don't care what normalfag boomers who reminisce about "how things used to be better back then" think.

Attached: 1548037674885.jpg (1920x1080, 337K)

Then why are you posting on a technology board? Consumerism doesn't constitute technology.

Attached: X220-22.jpg (800x574, 168K)

That's more like about a mil, not counting unexpected expenses, medical, etc.

So it's more like 700-900k after that many years, and in Silicon Valley that is SHITE.

Good luck.