/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Requesting purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Jow Forums headphone wiki
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: __nakano_miku_go_toubun_no_hanayome_drawn_by_sunhyun__fd8d90c372558e1c4b889892736044ca.jpg (1998x2735, 3.04M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/E7Bkrypxzs4
dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSRL300.pdf
youtu.be/eeQK6YwJU6s?t=2273
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So /hpg/ i am planning to buy some new headphones and need some advice
>Budget
around 200€, the less the better
>Type of headphone
I'm used to overears because i find them most comfortable
They also should have noise cancelling so i can work/study even in not so quiet places. Bt or cable doesn't matter
>Open or closed
as i said, they should have nc. I also don't want to annoy other people in the library. so probably closed
>Comfort level
Pretty comfortable and soft pads. One annoying thing i noticed with some bt headphones was that the weight is not distributed evenly. The left side felt much heavier. probably because of the battery
>Sound signature
should sound neutral or somewhat warm
>Past headphones
currently i am using Sennheiser HD 558 at home and some cheap overears outside. I really like the sennheisers

I am usally not into the whole headphone thing so any recommendation is welcome

Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.

HD 4.50BTNC

For me it's ichika, the best mommy girlfriend!

Attached: 1548033821433.png (496x496, 438K)

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1530600868369.png (1440x1080, 1.83M)

Bose QC25. If comfort matters at all to you forget the HD 4.50. QC25 also have much better noise cancellation.
They're not wireless but they are the best you can get for your budget with that use case.

That's why I routinely redownload my mp3s. After a few years they start sounding like YouTube rips.

There might be one or two issues with his reasoning, but he's right in recommending FLAC.

Attached: 1525609709052.png (1280x720, 2.96M)

Attached: Goodbye HD600.jpg (1500x2000, 371K)

I usually scrape the microdust off my CDs with a razor so the drive can read it crystal clear again

Attached: IMG_20190123_212725.jpg (4032x2657, 2.12M)

>but he's right in recommending FLAC.
Idol Trash the pseudo objectivist

I'm not him tho, I just didn't like it.

Now that we're talking about this, does Opus become transparent at 128 or 160kbps?

I've been browsing Jow Forums for almost a year now, and I'd like to ask a question:
Why is the OP pic of /hpg/ consistently lewd?

Such a cheap edit.

I know everyone hates car analogies but many people who buy expensive headphones cannot comprehend the fact that cheaper headphones can match or beat their headphones for fidelity, especially with EQ.

Imagine spending 160,000 on a Porsche 911 Turbo to get beaten by some kid with a modified Honda Civic around the track. It makes them angry and then they spout 'I drive a Porsche', that's nice and all, but objectively the Honda Civic was faster.

It's lossy. There's no guarantee it's transparent at any bitrate for every song out there. At best you can guess based on some samples.

i should've listened to /hpg/ the hd600 sounds like complete ass im regretting my purchase now

Attached: shnaps.jpg (3375x1932, 932K)

OwO what is this?

Attached: image.jpg (657x378, 25K)

it's a tradition

I EQ my stax and even in stock form I find it superior to harman. What now, sweetie?

>edit

HD600 owner here.

What dac/amp should I buy to be able to listen to music on my smartphone with good quality?

Attached: hand 2-Recovered.jpg (3207x4701, 519K)

did you add upper mids to them? because they severely lack upper mids

Eq is less like modifying the honda/cheap HP and more like modifying the Track though. The Porsche will still be faster on a regular track, while the Honda will only be faster on a track that was pretty much turnet into a vertical hole from where the car is dropped.
I think what i mean to say is that EQ is nice if you truly now how to use it, but so is having something work like you want out of the box. You just have to see how much you are willing to pay/tinker for the ideal sound.

atom amp

they sound better than harman or other dynamic transducers even with "reduced upper mids". I know this is hard for you to imagine because you lack experience even owning headphones

it'll sound like mud anyways

they don't, it sounds unnatural because its the most sensitive region of the ear, you clearly haven't heard speakers in a good room

sweetie, come back when you've got pictures of stax

imagine buying headphones with recessed upper mids

Attached: Untitled-2.gif (403x385, 55K)

Thanks
What do you mean, music on a smartphone will always sound like shit, even with an amp?

Attached: WP_20140626_13_32_29_Pro.jpg (1918x1077, 471K)

>What do you mean, music on a smartphone will always sound like shit, even with an amp?
ignore him, hes a shitposter who hates hd600

still sounds better than harma, as confirmed by oratory and other objectivists :^)

my hd600 just arrive and it sound like shit wtf

Oh it's that guy.

to you, because you're deaf with poor listening skills.

Does it get loud enough with your smartphone headphone jack?

Attached: hd600graph.png (662x406, 68K)

Thoughts on rotary subs?
youtu.be/E7Bkrypxzs4

Timestamp or gtfo

dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0

M A D
A
D

>to you, because you're deaf with poor listening skills.
The only people who hold the HD600 as the only good thing in their heart are people who are too poor to experiment with buying more headphones or don't live close to a place where they can demo them. Even the Idol retard liked at least a couple Stax.

Sapphire and Nikita are brain addled shitposting bots.

I never mentioned the HD600 tho :s

Right, you are the guy who will eq a KSC75 to a HD800 level of quality or something. Also shitposting on speakers. Same type of budgetctivist mentality though.

That's the obvious sign of butthurt. Dab on stax owners
>b-but hd600 are shit
like clockwork

>Even the Idol retard
That's not nice, user.
Have you not seen Love Live yet?

Attached: 1524249818430.png (1920x1080, 921K)

Feel free to mention which headphones you own LMAO

my hd600 sound just like this, really really bad
why did you shill me this /hpg/ was I memed

Attached: 1446285802101.jpg (331x331, 52K)

HD800S.

sniff my feet

Making Alice cry is a capital sin.

nice zoomerphone

yet here you are speaking out upper midrange on headphones. if that's the case then why are do you even own them instead of the hd600 lmao

I'd use her tits as headphones

Best soundstage on headphones. Nothing comes close.

I want to use her feet as headphones.

Attached: 1408025891023.jpg (650x750, 266K)

i dropped love live in the 2nd episode. kys shill

soundstage is partially (or mostly) due to an upper midrange / lower treble dip. why are you judging headphones based on their upper midrange if that's the case? the harman curve and other harman tuned headphones like the hd600 have a small soundstage due to this. what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

>didn't follow the 3 episode rule
dumb newfag, i bet you use beyers

I watched the first season to try to understand love live fags better. it was okay. boring except for the songs. rated it a 5/10 or maybe a 6/10.

Because stax headphones mostly lack gain around that area, they sound recessed, yeah the hd800s isnt as neutral as the hd600 but at least it isn't completely devoid like the stax

800s upper mids sound way worse than stax lmfao

what? the HD800 is about 8db down while the L300 is about 4dB

innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSRL300.pdf

>neutral fags can't even read graphs
sigh

why does innerfidelitys graphs always makes 1k and up portion of the graph not follow the same db line? that portion isn't that recessed usually.

level match the graphs

their compensation curve is bad. diyaudioheaven unironically has the best curve

you can just eyeball it using 500hz as a reference plane, it's not hard. the L300 has a forward 1khz, when aligned at 500hz it will show how much less upper midrange the hd800 has compared to stax

what headphone are these? it looks amazing

Attached: 1500269659129.webm (640x360, 2.55M)

HMMMMMMMMM

Attached: 1525164208276.png (456x465, 417K)

Can I use eq on linux? I have m40x wonder if it can sound different

no, it is impossible

pulseeffects

who /never eq/ here?

i tried EQing and I can never make my headphones sound better with it. It sounds artificial always.

>Budget
$50
>Location
USA
>Source
PC/Phone
>Type of headphone
full sized
>Open or closed
doesn't matter
>Comfort level
comfort is more important than sound quality.
I can't handle much clamping force, loose to the point where it won't just fall off my head would be great
>Sound signature
high bass
>Past headphones
koss porta pros

I basically looking for something comparable to koss porta pros in quality and comfort, but with a detachable cord or wireless

youtu.be/eeQK6YwJU6s?t=2273

metal talks about how much time and energy he has spent trying to EQ the hd800

>Budget
I dont want to spend more than 500 USD
>Source
desktop computer, I plan to upgrade with a small DAC and Amp in the distant future.
>Type of headphone
over ear, none of that on-ear bullshit.
>Open or closed
closed, I do not want any leakage
>Comfort level
high tier comfort, I will be using these for hours at a time during work.
>Sound signature
neutral, ideally.
>Past headphones
Bose QC25, Sennheiser HD 598

I like my sennheisers, but the open back is stopping me from bringing it into work, and the Bose are not as good sounding.

>metal talks about how much time and energy he has spent trying to EQ the hd800
Yeah that is true he did say he really has a heavy EQ on it. If only there was another headphone with that soundstage and imaging and I could wish more bass for me.

>1 hour
long but i'll take a look at it soon.

I linked exactly to the point where he talks about EQing it. and you can't get what you are asking for because you'll lose something else. it gets its soundstage from the reduced upper midrange, slightly rolled off bass, and the peaky treble. you need a DSP to fake the soundstage

Oh I didn't notice that. EQ really sucks and I don't like making compromises.

There is, but you won't like the answer.

it has nothing to do with EQ. it's just how our brain interprets a frequency response. those characteristics (as well as azimuth angle) are what determine soundstage. the hd800 is just tuned in a way so that the end result is an FR that lends to a large stage. you would need even more angled drivers like the K1000 or you would need a dsp to fake the soundstage

don't even say it you little shitter.
are headphones a meme?

The second season is generally considered better, as they compete in love live. First is just an introduction to the characters.

>are headphones a meme?
all audio is a meme until we can get 3d scans of our ear canals as well as compensation for our current listening levels

maybe hd569 seeing that you like senns, it's really hard to find comfy neutral closed backs

>all audio is a meme until we can get 3d scans of our ear canals as well as compensation for our current listening levels
I just like headphones to cope with my depression.

you'll fit right in then!

I'm gonna say it!!

Attached: 2601.gif (222x363, 4K)

goodbye thousands of dollars.
NONONONONO user NONONO THAT GIF ISNT EVEN A GIF

Was gonna use my welfare paycheck to buy some STAX but I haven't received it as yet. Guess I'll have to buy food with the little remainder of money I have left.

I'M GONNA SAY IT

Attached: 800px_COLOURBOX2219571.jpg (800x800, 39K)

Very good op

Damm those must be some good headphones. Look at the way he reacts, his lips even form what I understand as "wow". What brand are these?