Cisco Homelab

Hey Jow Forums, I’m getting started with my CCNA program, and I wanted to get started with building a home lab for myself.
What recommendations do you have in regards to
>Rack:
Build/Buy?
>Hardware:
Which models should I look at that are great deals second hand?(Routers, switches, firewalls, etc)
> Software:
What OS’s should I consider
>Tools
Things for feeding wire, terminating it, and other general things it’s good to keep around while working with things
>Integrating with media server
I have Plex to stream media now, but I’d ideally want to migrate my storage out of my desktop, and into the rack.

Any other tips or suggestions regarding CCENT and other CCNA exams are also welcomed.

Attached: image.jpg (497x800, 223K)

Other urls found in this thread:

certificationkits.com/lab-suggestions/cisco-lab-suggestions/
dantraknet.com/
sfree.ws
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump. I'm in the market for a modem/router as well, but it has to have LTE connectivity as it's the most affordable internet where I live.

I built a lab years ago that still has some updatable routers.

Basically follow this guide if you want physical hardware:
certificationkits.com/lab-suggestions/cisco-lab-suggestions/

the cheapest option is an extra PC with GNS3 emulator.

A low cost rack system that's pretty good is the skeletek series from these guys:
dantraknet.com/

Cisco seems to be the most self-asslicking company ever!
Everything they sell is overpriced to oblivion and is still underperforming and ios is the perfect example of poishing a turd!
ive done a couple of cisco courses and they are retarded!

Cisco software licensing for their hardware sucks donkey dicks. I know the idea of doing physical stuff is cool, but you'd be better off using the free packet tracer software to pass the exam, and then getting hands on experience during your entry level job. Or else buy used hardware once you've already passed the exam and you're sure a job is possible.

They really do suck desu. Their exams cost like $300 per attempt and it's just a big racket. The CCNA R&S course is good for learning networking, vlans, subnetting, etc, but as far as the Cisco specific stuff goes... it's just syntax like BASH or any other command line stuff.

More and more companies are moving away from Cisco but like I said the base networking knowledge is still a good reason for the course.

CCNA/CCNP skip the homelab all you need is GNS3. I've passed both.

Only time you will actually need a home lab is CCIE.

>company
>self-asslicking
What does it even mean?

Download GNS3 and some images. Skip the physical lab.

Packet tracer or GNS3 is more then enough. I did my CCNA/P through college and I will never do that shit as a job, it's boring as fuck and everyone who does it is literally retarded fml

>per attempt
d-dont tell me you didnt pass the brainlet filter 101 exam

Attached: 1548209091455.gif (540x540, 279K)

A single 8-12 port smart managed switch
A firewall (if Cisco try meraki)
And an hp or Dell server

> meraki
You're not going to learn any of the IOS command line required for CCNA that way.
> single switch
Need more than one to lab a lot of the switch-specific features.
>no router
lol?

A firewall does what a router can ie routing + vpn and teaches you firewall configuration

CCNA is a meme so far imo

You shouldn't need more than one switch since you'll be fucking with VLANs and that's pretty much it
If anything you'll want multiple routers to make your own routing tables.

You're an idiot. CCNA is one of the most common IT certifications mentioned in job listings. Meraki is designed for grandma to configure, and there is literally no IOS command line which is what ~30% of CCNA tests on.

Experience talks

>>Ccna is a meme
Fool go type Ccna into a job site. It's a prerequisite for most IT positions that aren't help desk

How to get an entry level networking job

It's no secret that they've been coasting on their early success for nearly a decade. Warranties that cost as much as the equipment lmao. Waiting for the day when config is all bash/posh or REST driven

Forget cisco everyone wants AWS and Azure certs now.

Gns3 will do just fine for CCNA, unless you are going to work on hefty stuff like multiple nexus 9ks or similiar shit. Also found this shit has loads of images sfree.ws

citation please