/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: uwu.jpg (480x640, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme
eurogamer.net/articles/starcraft-ii-is-melting-graphics-cards
cnet.com/products/sapphire-radeon-x300-graphics-card-radeon-x300-128-mb/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Platform_Security_Processor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's intel management engine and what's the controversy behind it?

I'm looking for alternatives to Syncthing, I'm tired of it making duplicates when I make changes on two separate computers.

Syncthing is available for Android. I gave up on "smart"phones doing anything useful so I'm looking into other options.

It's a universal backdoor into any Intel PC.
libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme
There's more that we know than what that page says, but that should give you a starting point. One interesting detail is that the ME runs an Intel-developed fork of MINIX3.

I keep getting the steam needs to be online to update error on my windows 10 laptop, what's the best fix? I don't have access to the router/modem/network adaptor

What's the best/easiest way to back up the important bits of my Windows 10 install for rapid redeployment? Windows 10 is shit and seems to need to just be wiped and reinstalled more frequently than older versions, so I'm hoping for an easy way to export my Group Policy changes, backup a few important folders, a few program configs, and throw them all back at their old locations.

The group policy management console obviously can export settings but I can't help thinking your question is intellectually dishonest. Who hurt you, user? Was it those Goblin Slayer episodes you torrented?

Attached: nb.jpg (619x420, 34K)

Windows 10 is just more rapidly moving than older versions, so things get fucked up more quickly. Admittedly, usually partially because I fixed something stupid Microsoft did. New update comes out, I fix something that changed, another update happens, and part of that new one doesn't work because of my previous change, but there's nothing online about people having the same problem because even that first change was an obscure enough thing, nevermind the problem from the second update, and Windows 10 is such a moving target now that even the usual places don't have as good of help articles as they once did.

It's usually all just little shit(Most recently, my secondary monitor is now my primary. Like, BIOS boots to it and everything, desktop icons default to it, etc), but if I spend an afternoon reformatting every 6 months to get things running smoothly, it's not really a big deal.

I don't know what to tell you maybe try installing a graphics driver lmfao

i turned my pc off for a few hours yesterday

now when i turn it on the internet dont work

it say "no valid ip address configured" or somethin like that

advice?

please respond

I always assumed it hadn't loaded in any of the software for speed control and just defaults to 100% to be safe.

Is there a way to access Google location history of a certain device using only the mobile number (no physical access to device)?

Attached: Robert-Butler.jpg (750x500, 157K)

Is there a program that will take a folder of pictures and search for duplicates or identical pictures? I'd like to clean out a shit ton of images to make a little space, but I don't think I can sort all of this out on my own.

Visipics.

I do a lot of rendering, video editing, recording, and some gaming because I am a manchild. I'm in need of a new processor (and motherboard and RAM). I currently have AMD (an old shitty one I'm going to use as a streaming hub eventually) and was wondering if I should go AMD again or go with Intel. Several people are telling me go with Intel and a few are telling me AMD. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on it but I am willing to spend about $600 or so. I know that's not a lot at all but I'm not looking for top of the line. I was looking at an 8400k, I believe. i7? My friend told me to settle for nothing less than 8 cores but I'm honestly not sure I need that many. I know streaming/recording takes some resources but if I'm using a separate PC for that the load is reduced for at least that, no?

please guys i need to answer some important emails

Why is my computer shutting down after upgrading my GPU, despite apparently exceeding the recommended wattage? Do I have a bad card or is it power supply issues?

After upgrading from a 970 to a 1070 Ti, my machine now shuts down at odd moments. It's hard to pinpoint what exactly seems to be the cause since it only happens from time to time, but it happens most often when I go back to the menu after finishing a round of PUBG, which I would not think would place the card under high load. I have a Seasonic M12II Evo 620W power supply, but using the OuterVision PSU calculator, the recommended PSU wattage only needs to be about 510W. Meanwhile, I can CPU and GPU mine XMR all day without any issues and I've had FurMark running for almost half an hour now and the GPU temp is at 71C, which is warm, but not sizzling. It only seems to happen with games and only in specific moments. Any ideas?

i remember a few years back some game would fry graphics cards when they went into the menu as they didnt have a frame limit. might be something like that.

eurogamer.net/articles/starcraft-ii-is-melting-graphics-cards

That is a stupid question. You are in the right place.

Also, nothing is overclocked and the problem has happened on all of the newest stable Nvidia drivers over the past three months.

Interesting, but I doubt that's the issue.

I bought a DVI-I to HDMI adapter to hook my computers GPU to the HDTV to use as a monitor. But I'm getting no signal. Could it be that the GPU or PSU are not powerful enough to output enough power? 330W PSU, Radeon X300 128 MB.

Attached: IMG_20190124_032015.jpg (1920x1080, 1.17M)

I need a PoE switch to run in a closet that has no power socket so it needs to be able to run off PoE and forward PoE to a wireless AP
anyone know of one?

Attached: Screenshot_20190123-192705.png (720x1280, 260K)

>radeon x300
try using a gpu from this millenium first

I don’t think such a thing exists. You should home run the APs to the mdf

Anyone here have a markus ? I need a chair for my new appartment and its seems like a good budget chair
im 180cm and 96kg

Attached: 1547677432725.jpg (540x960, 54K)

What?

How do you make combined shippings on Ebay? Do I have to ask the seller do it for me or can I do it myself? Pls help

Attached: 1545856449783.gif (470x395, 1.01M)

>X300
Your card cant do widescreen, biggest resolution supported is 1024x768.

Does it really matter which ethernet cable I get for long distance, outside of Cat6?

Did you did a clean driver install after switching cards?

There is no such thing as a 8400.
Just buy a Ryzen 5 2600 or R7 2700 based in your budget with a B450 Motherboard like a MSI B450 Tomahawk.
And for the GPU something cheap, simple but good like the RX 570 since your main concern is video editing.

>8400.
8400k*

I got a new internet router (Ethernet/LAN connection) and now my PC in particular is having constant data packet losses. non stop data packet loss icons in games, youtube videos are blurry despite being 720/1080p setting and did command prompt ping tests with different web addresses am am losing around 6-20% of data per 30 pings. My House m8s PC also connected via Ethernet is fine.

Solutions? I'll be getting a new Ethernet cable in a few hours but if that doesn't work what else can I do? I'm absolutely seething mad.

Attached: 1547640528488.png (275x369, 8K)

I have an AMD graphics card and am upgrading to a better one. What's the best way to go about redoing the drivers in Debian?
I've been using the amdgpu driver and I just want to reset the configuration for the new card because it's not working right. I tried completely removing it and reinstalling but it didn't help.

I'm trying to mount my ryzen stock heatsink but one of the screws never goes in, If I just screw the heatsink into the bracket without the motherboard all the screws go in fine but when actually mounting it three screws work as intended but the 4th doesn't, Also it's not a final screw problem no matter what order I screw them in the same screw doesn't start to go in.

where can torrent games
rain world with all the updates

So I want to extend the range of my Wifi with an old router that we had lying around the house.

I already tried changing the SSID and Password from the old router to match the main one. Now there is a single wifi signal throughout the house. The problem is, pretty much every electronic that tries to connect to WiFi, connects to the old, shitty router, which of course delivers a less powerful signal.

If both routers have a different SSID all electronics connect to the main router, like I want them to. But with matching SSID, they will switch between the old and main router or just stick to the old router.

How can I fix this?

there's no way any card from 2004 can only do 1024x768
even my integrated intel i810 16MiB graphics in 2000 could support the 1280x1024 monitor the machine shipped with
also, HDTV (the modern definition) was already a thing by 2004

pic related, also it has a 400MHz RAMDAC, which is more than twice what is needed to support a 1920x1080, 60hz display

Attached: a.png (384x810, 63K)

Are there any laptops that can run most games at 720p 30fps at the very least for at or lower than 200$? Used or new.

only if you got lucky with a used laptop

Hi. Just for my knowledge, where did you find these stats? Is there a good online database for GPU stats like this?

my CPU won't stay at x40 no matter what I try, it will set to x40 when using 1~3 cores, but if it's using all 4 cores, it just stays at x38.
What setting do I need to set so it stays at x40 when maxed out?

Attached: file.png (403x402, 21K)

How to i jailbreak my Iphone to play emulated videogames and free movies??

Right now I’m connecting my laptop to my tv using the displayport. I’ve connected an hdmi from my tv to a convertor to the displayport on my tv.
Is there no way for me to play sound through this method?

How to i jailbreak my Iphone to play emulated videogames and free movies?? PLEASE ANSWER

How can anyone get more underage than this?

x40 is turbo boost and theoretically only for single core workloads. If you're getting x40 on 3 cores, you're already using some sort of "all core turbo boost" feature in your BIOS.

What sort of temps are you getting? Might it be scaling back for all 4 cores because of temperature? Or maybe it's hitting its designed max TDP? I would suggest messing with OC settings but you seem to have a non-K part so that's a no-go.

I just want to jaibreak my iphone. Its a 6s from 2016, can you help? I just need a link to help please

Not him but I use Google. I searched "radeon x300 max resolution" and first result was cnet.com/products/sapphire-radeon-x300-graphics-card-radeon-x300-128-mb/ which lists a max resolution of 2048 x 1536 at 85 Hz.

Does Windows have a native command to tell it "go to sleep after X seconds"?

I know about the shutdown command but I don't see sleep there. For now made a simple batch file for it:

@echo off
echo System will enter sleep mode after timer completes.
timeout %1 /nobreak
%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

and linked it into system path as "sleep" so I can just type "sleep 3600" or whatever but I wonder if there was a better way

its from atnt and from 2016 please help quickly

Try shutdown /s /t 123 to wait 123 seconds. It will show a dialog box with a countdown, during which you can run shutdown /a to abort it.

Or you can use the at command to schedule the shutdown command to run at a specified time if you want further in the future, or don't like the countdown.

I was reading up a bit about the ports on the 2018 Mac mini and found this :
>four 40 gigabit per second Thunderbolt 3 ports which can also be used as 10 gigabit per second USB 3.1 type C generation 2 ports

I'm a bit confused by this and have no idea what they mean. What can you actually use the Thunderbolt ports for where you would need 40Gbps? I'm guessing perhaps a monitor hooked up with an adapter but other than that?

Attached: serveimage(2).jpg (942x612, 56K)

But that will shut it down won't it? I just want it to go to sleep.

how do I edit my posts?

how can I tell when I am being scammed

herp. There doesn't seem to be a shutdown switch for SLEEP, though there is one for hibernate. I guess you can use your rundll32 command with at to schedule it.

well, I can check it and sometimes even all 4 cores are x40, but just for a few seconds. I always get from 45 to 55 or maybe even 60 at kind-of idle (I always have deluge seeding with a ton of torrents, browser and some other background stuff).
I delided it some time ago but a few months ago I reapplied the liquid metal again since I was getting these temps and I didn't use silicone to seal it back, but that only fixed it for a few days, then it went back to 45~55, 68 at max. I'm using a cooler master cooler, it's smaller than the 212 Evo, I don't remember which one. I will probably upgrade when Zen 2 comes out, so I will be getting a ND H15.
From the screenshot I posted you can see that I already OC'd it a little, just the blck, it's mainly stable at 106.3.
Most google search stuff say just set it on Windows power options, but that only sets the minimum usage or whatever, nothing changes at all.

the two major things are hight speed file transfer (thunderbolt external drives exist) and external GPUs

thunderbolt docks are also a thing, which allow for 10gbit ethernet plus 4k 60hz display out and several 3.1 usb ports at the same time - as well as charging the laptop if that's supported. pretty nice setup actually. my main gripe with these docks is that most of them look like shit.

What am I looking at here, what sort of services run on this hardware? This is a hotel fyi

Attached: 20190123_225535.jpg (4032x3024, 3M)

>sometimes even all 4 cores are x40, but just for a few seconds
Turbo boost works like that, especially for all cores. It's meant to run for a few seconds to get through short tasks quicker, not to run continuously for long tasks. While the CPU probably can sustain 4.0 GHz indefinitely if your cooler is good enough, it exceeds the designed TDP so it won't do it unless it's a K model and you overclock it.

There may be something you can twiddle in BIOS for the turbo boost long duration but I doubt this will be available on a non K chip. For your chip the only overclocking option available will probably be BCLK which can only give a small boost before you hit instability with either your CPU or some PCIe device since BCLK affects those too.

It looks like a firewall, router and managed switch.

well, I wanted to juice it a little bit before I switch it with something new. These people get some good scores and as you can see in this screenshot, this guy gets x40. I've read just now that maybe an old BIOS could get me to that feature, that got removed on haswell apparently. I guess I will stay like this. But thanks for the help.

Attached: image_id_1438946.jpg (1680x1050, 340K)

Neat, thanks. What do you look for to determine that? I'm unfamiliar with rackmount hardware

general purpose hardware. impossible to tell what's exactly running on there.

What's the best ball mouse?

Attached: .png (1364x879, 424K)

bump

By Intel PC you mean every PC that has an Intel CPU?

It's in a room with a wall covered in type 66 blocks if that helps

Fair enough. I got the numbers mixed, I guess. I already have a GPU. 1060 6GB. Got it a few months ago.

Is a 2600 good enough for video games? I play stuff like Vermintide and Total War and Dwarf Fortress if that can help. My friend says wait for the new AMD CPUs but if I am going to get an Intel then I obviously don't have to wait.

Might depend on your mobo then, and you might be able to download an old BIOS version. Also what are you switching to and why? 4790 is still pretty fast, though if you need to do heavily multicore things, you'll want to move to Ryzen 3xxx series when that hits shelves.

See There's nothing specific or telling, except that there's shitloads of ethernet ports on the top two which suggests switching. The top one had some additional stuff on it suggesting it's more than just a switch. And the bottom thicc 2U NEC one doesn't have many ethernet ports, so that would be doing something other than switching. Given it's a hotel, that would probably be firewall and/or serving that TOS page you have to click through when you connect to the wifi. The wee blue thing under that I'm guessing is something wifi.

>muh winblaws is gayshit
>not providing any solution
Fuck off.

Yeah. Every Intel CPU from the past decade has this independent Management Engine processor that runs its own Minix based OS and can't be accessed or fully controlled. It exists to allow things like remote management, even the ability to turn on PCs when they're off. (This is incredibly useful for office IT departments since nobody ever heeds "please leave your PC on tonight so we can maintain it" emails.) But it also has backdoors to allow it full access to everything in whatever OS is running on it, no matter how secure or locked down it is.

I still need to know what the Zen 2 stuff will actually be, and probably one of these R5 with an iGPU. Usually I just seed and game, but I'm already noticing some performance walls on new titles even with a 1080 ti. Getting any current i5/r5 CPU would be a sidegrade for that use, so yeah, until I can see some IPC gain on the Zen 2, then I will stay with my haswell friend.

>even the ability to turn on PCs when they're off.
Oh god. You're scaring me user.
By using libreboot I'm save from this botnet?

Attached: dogscared.jpg (276x182, 5K)

I imagine you're getting pretty good performance with a 4790 and a 1080ti. As of today, i7-9700K would be the best pick for top single-core performance and framerates in games, though still a bad choice for multicore performance vs Ryzen 2xxx (but you don't need that so who cares). Zen 2 looks promising and it's stupid not to wait to see how it stacks up.

No. You can't disable the ME, remove or modify its firmware and still have the machine boot.

So libreboot it's just a meme?

Any STABLE OC for a 4930K?
Been trying 4.2Ghz at 1.25v but it's only stable as long as I don't boot up any games, help?

EaseUS Todo Backup. Make an image of your drive and you can recover with EaseUS and get the exact image of your computer as if you were doing a full clone.

Also. it's free.

On older chips you could fully remove the ME firmware and simply have the ME itself sit dormant with nothing to run. But then Intel made the ME be involved with the PCH initialization process, whether simply to orchestrate it or specifically to make it impossible to remove. So modern ones you can't disable.

I think Sandy Bridge were the last ones you could fully disable ME on...? -- and therefore the last you could have a proper all-free libreboot on.

>it's stupid not to wait to see how it stacks up
a friend really needed something before December so I built him a 2600+1070 ti. I told him that he could sell his 2600 and pick a 3600 or whatever for a little extra so he could play or whatever meanwhile, not the best but it's an alternative to just wait.

Where I can learn/read more about this?

I cloned my entire Windows partition from an old hard disk to a new SSD out of laziness.
I am now booting my operating system from the SSD
now I want to delete most of the crap on the SSD and point it to the old files on the hard disk again, to save on space. Is there a way I can just replace the Users directory with a symlink or something?

Windows just let me del

As is often the case, Wikipedia looks to be a good basic overview and has some decent links in the references section: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine

Thanks for the infos user.
May the source be with us.

Oh and don't think Ryzen is a way to escape this nonsense. AMD chips since 2013 have en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Platform_Security_Processor

okay Jow Forums, this might sound retarded but it's a real issue

i managed to drag the notes widget from the desktop to the taskbar and i absolutely cannot get it back out on the desktop. using kubuntu 18.10. any ideas how to get it out of the taskbar?

>Keyboards that have volume and play/pause buttons
What do they actually send to the computer?

Attached: 23-409857.jpg (1080x1072, 97K)

thoughts on i7-4770 for gaming? don't think i'll need upgrade anytime soon?

How does one fix steam UI.so error?

Theyre just mapped to control volume m8

Depends on the performance you want. If you're putting a 1080ti in and going for 1440p 100+ fps in current games, you'd better upgrade. If you're using a midrange GPU and playing at 1080p 60 fps, you should be fine.

Never used Crystal Disk Info before. I usually run my pre-built HP's default SMART and memory check (must be some sort of short DST check) prior to start-up once a month. Always yields "Passed," even now. SMART says everything is A-Ok.

Surely this amount of re-allocations is unrealistic, right? Don't drives usually fail in the hundreds-thousands? Doesn't something else about the drive usually fail too?

Attached: Untitled.png (1018x825, 597K)

>If you're putting a 1080ti in and going for 1440p 100+ fps in current games, you'd better upgrade
that's a logical upgrade to my gtx970? how would some games run at 3840x2160 i'd expect 60fps on relatively older games like GTAV for example, would it run like shit?

Why are gays, pedophiles, and furries so obsessed with publicly posting their mental illness where nobody wants to see it when there are perfectly fine containment boards for their kind?

QUICK What's a program for that can convert a 30 minute video into billions of image frames

What's worse, volumeicon or running a bash script every second to check the volume?

Attached: [Doki] Toradora! - 03 (1280x720 Hi10P BD FLAC) [5011708E] 00:13:03.032.jpg (1280x720, 174K)