ITT: Jow Forums Unpopular Opinions

ITT: Jow Forums Unpopular Opinions.

Here are mine:
>I literally see no need in liquid cooling. The only instance where liquid cooling is needed is if you are going for an enthousiast build. It never helps in the performance of a system and 99.9% of programs do not utilize your CPU that hard.
>Linux is great, but gaming is fucked still. Yes. Even with Steam support. I don't want to play half the games, I want all the games. I also like Adobe Suites and a modern MS Office.
>I hate the concept of people who de-lid their CPUs. I find this to be a huge waste of time and again goes into the "enthusiast build" category of people who go crazy over some artic freeze and saving 5 degrees C of nonsense.
>Arctic silver is stupid. Any cooling paste is fine.
>I think Intel is better than AMD
>I think Nvidia is better than Radeon.

Attached: file.png (480x270, 180K)

what a waste of trips.

All of these opinions are not unpopular, but the popular ones.

You've been looking at Jow Forums too much.

Oh Satan, when will you stop being a bad boy...

Attached: AC24DC12-3B4F-4526-9110-E9435E47243F.jpg (477x539, 15K)

Agree except for the last two points.

Just have seen less failure coming from Intels and NVidia. That is the only reason why.

Mine:
>lisp (mainly common lisp and scheme) are little more than toy, educational languages. they offer zero advantages when making anything more than a trivial program compared to almost every other popular programming language. knowing a lisp will give you an interesting idea of how programming works at the highest level (pure ast) and how you can represent code and data equally for some interesting manipulations, but there is really no point in actually using it for making software.

What languages do you recommend?

>i literally see no need for liquid cooling
In some cases its quieter but other than looking cool theres no point
>arctic silver is stupid
Its maybe $5 more for high quality longer lasting thermal paste. Literally no one buys chink paste
>intel over amd
As of right now yes but when ryzen 3000 comes out amd chips will have better per core performance and more cores unless intel pulls a miracle and makes a better chip for less somehow

I live in australia and our heatwaves are fucking brutal, i wouldnt mind a proper liquid cooling system to mitigate that

>STOP COMMENTING YOUR FUCKING CODE
the real trick is to write good code that doesn't need to be explained and only use comments for things that the code cannot explain

none of these opinions are even remotely controversial.
Liquid cooling and delidding have always been an expensive enthusiast's way of cooling components to get the most out of them, but without time-consuming and complex maitenance they usually degrade and fail over time. but enthusiasts like that shit, they like being challenged and pushing the limits of their hardware, it's one of the reasons computers are fun for them.
Good thermal paste is, after a point, indistinguishable from super expensive stuff. besides, the best method for keeping your thermal paste in good condition is to replace it every 6 months to two years, just like air coolers should be dusted out regularly, make it a part of the routine. Longevity is what you pay for in good TIM
Most Linux kernals are totally fucked for normal desktop use, have been for decades
Hardware is highly objective, if you aren't buying your hardware for specific purpose, you really shouldn't care what you end up with, provided it's snappy and functions well (which AMD, Intel, Nvidia and Radeon almost always do, they work great in general use-cases).

I personally think delidding is a great way to get a little extra bang for your buck, but that largely depends on how much of a fuck you give and what CPU you have. No harm in delidding a old CPU with no warranty that would otherwise overheat all the time.

>Most Linux kernals

Attached: ok.png (620x775, 758K)

>tfw you know it's right but you work with a fuck huge codebase of 25 years written by amateurs

PAIN

each and every single version of windows is crap and botnet
ios is better than android
there's nothing more wrong with macos than with other modern unix-like systems

In general this is a good principle to follow.
However, some documentation to at least explain *what* a function does is usually helpful. The *how*, however, should be obvious from the code.

Did you mean to open this thread on /v/eddit, faggot?

Brand wars are retarded just buy what werks

Games are for children.

Water cooling could be a good idea if your CPU regularly goes above 100°C, especially if you are a developer.

>I literally see no need in liquid cooling. The only instance where liquid cooling is needed is if you are going for an enthousiast build. It never helps in the performance of a system and 99.9% of programs do not utilize your CPU that hard.
its more than just that:
> the huge radiator ensures maximal cooling
> computer is incredibly quiet, even with max load
what do you consider a non-enthusiast? someone who only browses the web?
>Linux is great, but gaming is fucked still. Yes. Even with Steam support. I don't want to play half the games, I want all the games. I also like Adobe Suites and a modern MS Office.
implying you're actually going to play all those games you purchased
true
>I think Nvidia is better than Radeon.
bang for your buck is a thing.
also, if you are on linux and care about foss. amd provides foss drivers, nvidia doesn't. user experience is therefore superior for anyone running linux.

>>Arctic silver is stupid. Any cooling paste is fine.
Wrong. Graphite pads are the best.
>>I think Intel is better than AMD
Shit security.
>>I think Nvidia is better than Radeon.
Shit drivers.

GNU/Linux and all other FOSS systems are rubbish
Apple/Mac systems have been rubbish since the early 00s
Microsoft/Windows has been rubbish since 2000.

The last good OS was Windows 98; the last great OS was Windows 3.11

Windows has never even been usable.

This is an incontrovertibly incorrect statement.

No it isn't, pajeet.

>lisp
>scheme
>educational

Attached: 1543716103284.png (480x490, 345K)

you fell for some weak bait

Not bait, wintoddler.

Amd foss drivers are garbage.
Vulcan will always be an also ran that nobody cares about except amd fanboys on damage control.
Nobody that uses arch has a job that pays more than $10/hr.
Nobody that rices linux has any job at all.
The GPL licenses can be revoked at any time.
GUI>CLI in 99% of cases and anyone who disagrees cares more about Muh Seekrit Club than usability.

>GUI>CLI in 99% of cases and anyone who disagrees cares more about Muh Seekrit Club than usability.
t. brainlet

t. MPV fanboy

Come on now, you can at least come up with a better excuse than that. What GUI elements other than a seek bar do you need to hold your hand in a media player?

as a regular user of CLI, I'd take that to an about 75% GUI>CLI if you work on the field, otherwise you're pretty on spot

Quick post your 45 line long config file that you needed to assemble from 75 pages of documentation so your anime will playback at the highest quality.

I need it to fucking compile with me having to manually scrape the web in search of twelve individual dependency packages that also need to be hand compiled and more often than not, have dependencies of their own.
Really how the fuck am I supposed to use mpv when all I had to do was
sudo apt install vlc

vlc is ugly, and that alone is a valid reason not to use it

>copy pasting a config file from google is harder than setting all the options in a gui
t. brainlet

Mechanical watches still serve a purpose.

Keeping track of time is as important as it ever had been and having a tool that keeps track of it without the need of electricity or an internet connection is important.

Additionally, mechanical watches are one of the very few tools put there that are still built using the old world approach to design. As in, build it to last forever. It's a rare thing that we should appreciate.

Attached: sold_rolex_explorer_i_114270_w_rehaut_1505184830_fd061f3d.jpg (640x640, 80K)

Don't worry guys.
It's just Satan saying stupid shit again.

Attached: 1440930769708.jpg (500x642, 77K)

>put

*out there

Attached: Jaeger-LeCoultre-Master-Ultra-Thin-With-Blue-and-Grey-Dials-For-2017-4.jpg (1500x1000, 207K)

But mechanical watches neither tell time accurately for any extended period of time nor work long term without maintenance.

I agree, but when a valid alternative doesn't cost me 4h+ to install and configure, I'll maybe think about it
the only thing windows did better was having foobar2000 desu

Nothing you said is unpopular.
Yes, mayo is ideal
It was before Meltdown, now AMD has a monopoly and Intel is shit.

DOS beat the fuck out of Wangblows

All the amd fanboys that spend all day posting handbrake and blender benchmarks have never used these programs in their lives. Or have only used them to make anime webms.

Didn't Windows use DOS until 2000? If that's the case, I basically agree.

no one asked for your two sents satan

When 95 hit they ran Windows on top of a very stripped down version of DOS. I loved that the computer ran its task with full attention to what program you told it to run instead of constantly doing other shit I never asked for. Windows is all about running piles of shit at the same the, and most of it is in the background where it will do its best not to tell you why your hard drive is getting raped AGAIN.

Why are you compiling mpv by hand, but installing vlc through apt? Just install mpv through fucking apt then.

>brand bias
I see you uphold your postnumber

Casio A158 is better than F91W.
Come at me.

>I literally see no need in liquid cooling
it makes sense for very low form factors, that's about it. This applies for multi-gpu builds as they're per definition pretty cramped
>Linux is great, but gaming is fucked still
Nobody who ever tried it is of any other opinion
>I hate the concept of people who de-lid their CPUs
It makes little sense to risk one of the most expensive components all together. The benefit of lower temperatures are primarily the extended lifetime, which you risk in the first place
>Any cooling paste is fine
Just no
This is not an unpopular opinion
>I think Nvidia is better than Radeon
Neither is this

>mechanical watches neither tell time accurately

But they do. A variance of +/- 2 seconds per day is extremely accurate.

>nor work long term without maintenance

There is no man made machine that doesn't require maintenance.

And maintenance every 10 years for something that can survive in extreme conditions while continuously performing it's job is an amazing feat.

The Apple Series 1 watches are already useless and unsupported.

There are Rolex watches from the 1920s that you can still buy and wear. Today's watches will last even longer.

I looked in the official mpv website and it made no mention of existing in apt.
Should I have fucking guessed?

>Should I have fucking guessed?
you do know apt has a search function right? how it is mpvs fault you are to retarded to use your own package manager.

83 degrees celsius is a perfectly fine CPU temp

Based and redpilled.

My do you thin intel and nvidia are better? Why buy into corporate fan boyism

>I think Nvidia is better than Radeon
>unpopular

>each and every single version of windows is crap and botnet
>ios is better than android
0/10 troll

"Write 9 pages of truth and 1 page of ridiculous lies and give it to the people. They will swallow the tenth page like it contains the same kind of truth as previous ones."
-- Lil Peep, 324 B.C.

>+/-2 seconds off per day is extremely accurate
You're actually fucking retarded. Apply that to something like bank transactions or the medical field. Oh no, your pacemaker was off by 1 second so your heart beat irregularly for an hour and you died. Oops.

How can one OP have this much retardation AND shilling in one post. Low quality post as usual

It's a fucking watch for you to check the time. Being off by 1-2 seconds won't kill you. Fucking retard. Do you think before posting stupid ass "arguments". Fucking shit stain

Liquid cooling if only acceptable unironically if you want some sort of pizzabox or a flatbed as your computer
also This, fuck off double shill

Attached: 1540772974210.jpg (570x570, 47K)

The argument that correct time is important. A watch is useless because there are replacement for it that people already carry. The biggest being the obvious cellphone. And the cellphone is still more accurate. Jesus you're fucking dumb.

Fine digits, but if you think one day of 40 degrees is a heatwave, you're a soft-cock.

Being off 2 seconds for regular use isn't enough to be called incorrect unless you want to be a pedantic uppity faggot. A watch is also a fashion statement or a sign of wealth so it has other uses besides people with autism like you having an tantrum over 2 seconds.

Wow, Satan is retarded
This

Attached: WZzxxCbt.jpg (1024x768, 43K)

Shit bait, 0/10.

Attached: 1545788812661.jpg (680x683, 85K)

It also prevent your vrms from being properly cooled, so you have to install a fan anyways.

I think liquid cooling isnt worth the risk of spillage and pumps are extremely unreliable. you also need to clean the loop out regularly. total waste of time and a risk to your hardware just so you can squeeze a few more frames out of your system.

Pretty much have all the same opinions as me, so you're basically right on all counts.

The level of accuracy I noted is more than enough for the typical person. And if you want something that is so exact that it can actually be used for things like astronomy and physics, those wrist watches exist too.

I implore you to read about the development of the chronometer and how it literally changed the world.

The variance of something such as a modern Rolex , with it's incredible ruggedness and infrequent service intervals is in some ways some of the most advanced technology that is accesible to the average consumer. Also there are new developments in this field every year improving on hundreds of years worth of continuous research and development.

I think you're undervaluing watches user.

Attached: BS-W-114-Rolex-1601-Grey-Dial-515-08.jpg (1600x1200, 205K)

>i want all the games
You'll never play even half in your lifetime. Besides, you're missing console exclusives either way. Personally I've found PLENTY enough GOOD games native to Linux.

I'm undervaluing them because they're completely obsolete. Rolex-like watches are for normies that think having an expensive fashion accessory somehow makes them matter to others more. I couldn't care less, if you want to waste your money on something stupid like that, go ahead, but stop trying to justify your buyers remorse.

>you should limit the things you do on your computer so that you can use this OS
you got things backwards

>you should limit your personal privacy and freedom so that you can use this OS for muh games

tell me user, is everything you use FOSS? if it isn't you already have your personal privacy limited and the OS won't matter

LISP, Haskell, and other such languages are toys. Learning them is a waste of time unless your only ambition is LARPing as hackerman.
Vim and Emacs are also wannabe hackerman toys.
Becoming a privacy zealot is stupid. All it does is make you look like a closeted pedophile. It also encourages the entities you try to avoid to keep a closer eye on you.

>already accepted one invasion of privacy, might as well accept them all

A high quality watch is off like one second a year.

that's exactly it, what's your point?

pic related

Attached: artificial.jpg (1024x536, 43K)

what is sicp

>being heavily invested in computer hardware is a waste of time, I built my computer 4 years ago and havent spent a second after that worrying about hardware
>any thread about school or anything undergrad related should be instant ban

"int offset"
Is that an offset in bytes? An offset in number of elements?
"int offset_in_bytes"
That is way too fucking long.

>a waste
not if you're employed in a related industry

true, this was more directed toward the intel/nvidia/amd fanboying that frequently occurs on this board

>Windows 10 is the best Windows yet

I agree with this. WSL, better window management, it's pretty nice ngl.

Agreed. It's more secure than previous versions, given you don't see the sharing of your data with Microsoft as a threat.

get better at naming things

Applying UNIX philosophy to an OS will not necessarily make it better

>pc gaming is overrated which makes desktop computers unnecessary(all you really need is a refurbished business laptop that costs under 200 dollars)
>console gaming is more enjoyable than pc gaming( you don't have to worry about fps and all this bullshit. you just play the game)
>100mbps internet is unnecessary since you rarely download anything that requires that (i was fine with just having 20 mbps internet. they changed it to 100 mbps recently and upped my bill. they don't allow you get 20 mbps internet anymore)

Attached: 161008 코리안 뮤직 웨이브 - 신비 '너 그리고 나 & 오늘부터 우리는' (698x1080, 2.75M)

Privacy isn't binary. You are just a cia nigger with no morals. No better than a normalfag and will make the world a shitter place.

>pc gaming is overrated which makes desktop computers unnecessary(all you really need is a refurbished business laptop that costs under 200 dollars)
The price of a laptop that can meet the recommended requirements to play all current gen games and below is more expensive than a desktop comparatively

>console gaming is more enjoyable than pc gaming( you don't have to worry about fps and all this bullshit. you just play the game)
Console games have FPS slowing that ruins some titles, only cheap computers have FPS problems, ironically like the ones you are suggesting, also "x is better for gaming" is irrelevant when some things are just better with a controller and some keyboard/mouse.

>kpop
oh right your opinion is shit

>The price of a laptop that can meet the recommended requirements to play all current gen games and below is more expensive than a desktop comparatively

i am not recommending that you get a gaming laptop either

that's why i said "all you really need is a refurbished business laptop that costs under 200 dollars"

>Console games have FPS slowing that ruins some titles, only cheap computers have FPS problems, ironically like the ones you are suggesting, also "x is better for gaming" is irrelevant when some things are just better with a controller and some keyboard/mouse.

you only really need a keyboard and mouse if you're a first person shooter fag. those games are all the same and so boring now. it's not even a worth to buy a desktop computer for them

Attached: 1496510949968.webm (406x720, 2.34M)