2500k starts showing its age

>2500k starts showing its age
>test suites have become unbearably slow
>don't think too much, buy 8600k, similar price to my 2500k when I bought it
>everything works great, test suites x5 faster (probably cuz 3200MHz ram though)
>didn't waste any time reading shills
>spend the time I didn't waste actually working, make the money back in three billable days
>be perfectly happy with it
so, Jow Forums? I thought I was going to end up in tears like the basedboy mememoi with the intel hat...??

Attached: intlel.png (1050x788, 190K)

Other urls found in this thread:

software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-development-emulator/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>8600K
Why did you buy into an already dead socket?

>all that time
>what amounts to minutes of actual research
you're dumb
>I'm perfectly happy
>that's why I made this thread to tell you that
uh huh :^)

>didn't waste time
>instead I'm posting about it on Jow Forums
congrats OP you played yourself

Attached: smug_girl_with_funny_eyebrows.gif (200x200, 660K)

yep, now I regret buying it, thanks for trolling me Jow Forums

Attached: soy.jpg (216x233, 11K)

I would have gotten a 2700x

Still haven't upgraded since 2012. Think the next time I do it'll last about 20 years at the rate tech is progressing.

Same. It's so slow now.

2008 get a Q6600 + 8800 GTS
>8800 GTS dies buy 460 GTX because "legit benchmarks"
2015 get a i7 6700k + R9 390
>R9 390 dies get 1070 GTX
By god it's been 3.5 years?!

I never once felt the need to upgrade.

I mean upgrade to what? Literally what.

Attached: captain-janeway1.jpg (450x337, 49K)

I wish I had gone with the Q6600 back then. I jumped on the dual core meme and had to upgrade a few years later. I'll probably upgrade when cyberpunk comes out, but I have really nothing pushing me to upgrade before then.

The one thing I learned over the years is if you don't plan on upgrading every 2~3 years buy the best thing with the most "future proof" shit.

Everyone was like when will you ever need 4 cores, nothing uses 4 cores. Don't buy the Q6600 it's a waste of money, buy a E6700 that has better game performance!

Attached: 1478558575093.png (499x338, 38K)

>I thought I was going to end up in tears like the basedboy mememoi with the intel hat...??
ignorance is bliss.

Attached: tesla.jpg (540x683, 86K)

So you spent more than you needed to on an upgrade because you're pigheaded and refused to take any advice? Wow, what a strong independent womyn you are! Nice blog!

friend bought amd phenom II x6 1090T almost ten years ago.
6 core beast does everything he throws at it.
he might jump on the zen 2 wagon later this year.
C2Q and C2D cucks need to do upgrades earlier.

thats a really weird thing to do. why not buy a 9600k instead lol? or a 2700X? or wait for Ice Lake? or wait for Ryzen 3? Literally anything but (as that guy said) buying into a dead socket with a mediocre CPU

phenom was trash with their missing SSE instructions
who are you kidding

Should have waited for the new Zen a lot of old cpus will get cheaper even if you dont buy one

>MMX, extended 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4a,
what's missing?

SSE 4.1, which has caused a lot of compatibility issues with Phenom CPUs down the years. A lot of games had to be hurredly patched after launch because they needed SSE 4.1 and Phenom owners couldn't run them. Metal Gear Solid V, for example. It's starting to happen with AVX now too.

so, this is all the fuzz? A game where the developer didn't include any fallback method just like every sane s/w is built?
also MSGV gets 15fps on phenoms, as some users reported on steam when launching the game with this software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-development-emulator/
>hurredly patched after launch because they needed SSE 4.1
sse libraries do that automatically. you can choose to include older versions of SIMD inscructions.
The infamous icc jewish trick which crippled amd cpus, forced amd cpus to run FLOPs with legacy x87 instructions, while using SIMD on intel CPUs.
This is a non-issue, just a developer flop.
e.g. cryengine got optional SSE4 somewhere around 2008 and 2009
you might need to read about SSE5 and the avx/sse versions AMD uses like FMA instructions and XOP.

Christ, what a useless wall of text. AMD fanboys are deranged.
>also MSGV gets 15fps on phenoms
Post-patch MGSV gets a solid 60fps (its framerate cap) with an overclocked Phenom II. I know because I played it my 1090T.

As for the rest of your rambling, I don't give a shit. The issue has come up numerous times over the years, not just with MGSV. It's been an issue, whether your fucked up brain can parse that or not. Nobody cares about the how or why of it. Your theoretical dream reality where all software conforms to your standards takes a backseat to the actual reality that we live in.

I've had an i7 920 clocked at 4.4ghz since it came out and it still runs great. Not gonna upgrade until it goes up in smoke or something.

>4.4 on the first Bloomfield
How is that not degraded to shit?

I have a 1090T still going too, user.

Attached: fren.png (700x700, 113K)

same reason my 6700k bitches about failed oc and just werks a restart later, like all my tools it thrives on abuse and neglect

3770k here, maybe next year an upgrade might be worth it

>buying a shitty housefire with no threading or solder
/shit purchases general/?

I got lucky with great copy, barely had to increase the voltage. This clock has been stable since day 1

>2500k showing age

should have spent like $50 more on a 2600k and OC'd it to 4.5. You wouldn't have had that problem.

>mfw i spent nothing on some FX processor and it's fast as fuck
>mfw I wont need to upgrade until DDR3 stops being good at doing modern things

My 2500k died recently, it served me well for so many years. Though I think the mobo might be fine, just the cpu light goes on. Kind of not worth trying to find another though prob just gonna save for a new thing instead. Really was one of the best chips I ever had though in my opinion.

>Your theoretical dream reality where all software conforms to your standards
I work for a living and that's how I know what we, programmers, deal with SIMD instructions.

>Post-patch MGSV gets a solid 60fps
pre-patch mgsv had 15fps on users with phenom x6 as reported by those users in steam.
Not supporting h/w is a deliberate move.
On the s/w dev side, it's just some flags, or how several studios do it, they deliver 2 executables.
I wonder why did you mention it as an issue and blamed it on phenom, when they "fixed" msgv in the end.
SSE is not a dead IS and AVX or SSE4 are not a one way road in SIMD. You can do the same job even with legacy x87 instructions.
Keep blaming h/w for incompetent s/w development.

I'm not from Jow Forums so what's so special about the 2500k series?

Outside of a limited scope of applications, there has been nothing worth upgrading for since.

3 days to make that money back? YIKES

Well, to be honest, I think 8600k is the only CPU that makes any sense in their whole lineup.
You still pay the joo tax, but it's not that painful.

All intel sockets are dead on arrival, what are you talking about?

It was great cpu for the price at the time it came out. Since then there hasn't been much improvement other than doubling the core count.

>I use my pc to run test suites
Maybe you should have a real use for your machine before upgrading it.

I have a 2600K and I'm afraid of it becoming real obsolete.

I went from a 3570k to a 8700k about half a year ago.
Best purchase I've made in a long time.

Tell me about your thermals since then.
Actually, tell me about your sound experience.

nice try shill, I'm still not getting rid of my 4.6ghz 2500k. It's the perfect pairing for a GTX 1060

Your 4.6Ghz thing barely holds up to 4ghz Ryzen.
Except your thing will fry earlier.

>bringing thermals into this
lmao cucklet, so long as the cpu doesn't boil water who cares? its not like it'll throttle in a desktop, especially if you can drop $300 on a cpu you probably know your shit enough to get a decent cooler. hell a 212 evo even is good enough

besides, it gets to piss ayymd fags like you off so yay intel

>so long as the cpu doesn't boil water
Saying you spent more on cooling when it's included in AMD cpus.
Let's be honest, it's not a problem right now.
But it will be, and those processors will start blue-screening when they're actually used.

i5 760

Attached: 1546192687695.png (657x527, 44K)

>2500k
>not cutting it anymore
>9700k @ 5ghz
Feels good man.

I am on the same setup and well, since Nvidia Launched RTX 2060 i am feeling the gimp hammer already is just a matter of time for them to fuck us on every new driver update, i hope AMD brings some option to the market with Navi.

>didn't waste any time
Yet here you are, shitposting on Jow Forums. Good job.

It's on par with Ryzen in single core performance and that's all that matters in majority of games and applications. It's also a bonus that a i5 2500k+LGA1155Mobo can found for $80 max.

>4.6ghz
oc or se

not as dead as literally any attempt at any AMD overclock

oc

>don't think too much
That explains a lot.

>make the money back in three billable days
>$260
>3 days
>user makes $10.83 an hour
pretty pathetic desu senpai

im still using phenom IIx4 965 BE
even runs "modern games" fine
not that any of them are worth playing
especially "unfinished sandbox game that wasnt even expected to land on pc"

My friend has a 2600k and still has no reason to buy anything new

>besides, it gets to piss ayymd fags like you off so yay intel
this level of projecting

tfw still on 4690k

Attached: 1524890718729.jpg (1920x1080, 559K)

>comparing stock coolers with aftermarket
I prefer my ears not being raped by tiny fans running 2k+ RPM, even with non-OC

>and those processors will start blue-screening when they're actually used
Can you fags stop seething for just one second, we get it, your ryzens can't overclock for shit.

why not oc the 2500k to 4.5

you should but it doesn't give you 4 more threads.

Too bad it's hard to find a good priced 2500k replacement though, there things were really that good.

>$50 more
sure it was more like 100 - 150 more

>being this ass blasted.

i use a 4570
i got it for free tho

Sounds a lot like the cope being said about Piledriver desu.

> after several years, (((upgrades))) his 4c/4t to a fucking 6c/6t CPU.
OH NO NO NO NO NO

>Buys new CPU, mobo and ram
>Only goes for 4 to 6 threads
Fucking hilarious

i7 4790K @4.8GHz is the eternal CPU.

>2500k
lol retard

Attached: UPGRADE2010.png (836x768, 17K)

tfw still on 3770k with 1600mhz RAM
how much am i missing out on

Hey fellow 4690k bro. I'm still content with mine at 4.4ghz but no games I play (read what I play before people bring up battlefield and shit like that) really stresses it out. May jump on a new CPU next year though depending on how things turn out and use this one for a living room pc.

I felt like a bit of an idiot after buying my Q6600, because everyone at the time was going for the E6700. Ten years later though, I'm glad I didn't listen to Jow Forums.

>not that any of them are worth playing
This. The last game to really catch my attention was Stellaris, and the replay potential on that was... limited.

>tfw still on 2500k
haven't felt the need to upgrade, maybe on the next decade.

Attached: cpu.png (2158x100, 9K)

i still need to play stellaris
i miss playing sins of a solar empire with my buddy from college
he was an archfag but he put up with using my spare windoze machine to play games
now he moved away and has 2 kids and works at staples
good for him i guess.

literally nothing
desu piledriver is the last CPU i will ever buy because no intel management engine backdoor and no amd PSPsecure backdoor

>Stellaris
It's no Master of Orion 2.
*sips*

>ctrl-f Xeon
>no results found
Jow Forums I am disappoint
bought this for literally 1/4th the price of a 2600k on ebay last year for my i3-2100 and wanted an upgrade without changing mobo and ram.
working like a fucking charm. the jump from 2c/4t to 4c/8t is night and day for making videos.

Attached: Xeon E3-1231-v3.jpg (640x480, 41K)

>spend the time I didn't waste actually working, make the money back in three billable days
He says as he posts bait threads jerking off to every (You)

Haven upgrade for 15 years

PCI-E 5.0 should be out sometime this year. I have a 4790 and im not upgrading until the prices for those cpu's and boards drop. I would like the extra PCI lanes as 16 doesn't really cut it with NVMe Drives now days.

>be me using i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz with 2000mhz DDR3
>$200 R9 290 bought from miner in 2014
>download resident evil 2 remake just released
>75fps solid freesync'd
>game looks beautiful
>probably won't even bother replacing my system until Zen3 because I built it right the first time

Attached: prooohhh.png (181x194, 9K)

>4c/8t is night and day for making videos.
Dude 12/24 and probably 16/32 are coming out this year for the price of an i5

still on a 4770k & 780ti maybe i should upgrade the gpu?

yes, but all the options out there are scams at the moment

>PCI-E 5.0 should be out sometime this year
lolno

>tfw still on comfy i7 4790
Will wait till ddr5 lmao.

Attached: curse.jpg (780x846, 127K)

you shouldn't. all upgrades are marginal as far as games are concerned. if you are doing some core intensive business productivity work or encoding videos 24/7 then sure an upgrade is worth it but for games just buy the latest nvidia shit and you're more or less just fine.

Still on a 2600k. Gonna upgrade to a 3700x or 3800x later this year. I will be made of cores and have better single thread performance.

I won't upgrade for a decade.

Yeah noticed that, there really doest seem to be anything

>takes time to justify his buy on a anonymous chinese cartoon forum
oh boy...you really don't think about us at all right?

>780ti
no need to upgrade yet

Still running on a 3930k and feel no need to upgrade for mainly development tasks and some gaming. Looking at benchmarks of the latest CPUs I don't think I'm missing much except some instruction sets like AVX2.

I honestly don't see how the average gamer/power user needs much more than this. Obviously single core performance is most important to games, but it really isn't worth having to buy new DDR4 ram and another stupid socket. It seems like Intel is prioritizing GPU compute now anyways in hopes of capturing more parallel workloads.

If I have a compute intensive workload, I'd rather offload it to server farms that are far more stable and scalable.

is there even any new games worth upgrading for? some people say cyberpunk 2077 but it's basically GTA5, farcry-blood-dragon style...?
i wanted to upgrade for mechwarrior 5 but that might be shit now also...?
any real games that need anything?
for the record I have fx 8350 and 7970 meme
and the "best" games i've played in recent years are underrail, brigador, ATOM rpg, furi, hyper light drifter, shovel knight, bloodstained curse of the moon, etc... I mean I liked pillars of eternity 2 and kingdom come deliverance but that doesn't seem to be enough to justify getting new equipment

>5820k @ 4.2GHz

Been waiting for quite a while for a worthy upgrade. Unless there's some kind of a massive flaw in Zen 2, then it's Threadripper time.
When the Threadrippers drop I'm going to replace this with the 3950x. Should be good for the next 10 years.

>Unless there's some kind of a massive flaw in Zen 2, then it's Threadripper time.
>When the Threadrippers drop I'm going to replace this with the 3950x. Should be good for the next 10 years.
threadripper is worse in games than a regular 2600(x)/2700(x)
so just get a 3600 or its equivalent

>tfw still on fx 6300
i dont feel like upgrading.

Attached: 1498778310512.gif (302x206, 1.92M)

its 2019, majority of games are muiltithreaded, single core is not that important anymore

You should've either bought an i7 with a socket that is still (somewhat) alive, or just kept your motherboard and upgraded to a 3770k.