Waymo’s CEO, John Krafcik, has admitted that a self-driving car that can drive in any condition, on any road...

>Waymo’s CEO, John Krafcik, has admitted that a self-driving car that can drive in any condition, on any road, without ever needing a human to take control—usually called a “level five” autonomous vehicle—will basically never exist.

Attached: download.png (900x900, 421K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cnet.com/news/alphabet-google-waymo-ceo-john-krafcik-autonomous-cars-wont-ever-be-able-to-drive-in-all-conditions/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

who would ever want one?

Zoomers.

the average Ameriwagie, who spends 3 hours a day driving to and from work

Self-driving car tests in America always make me laugh.
Like I'm supposed to be impressed by driving on perfectly grid-like roads with everything made so retards could drive.
It was funny when they tested a Tesla self-driving system in Europe. When the car encountered a roundabout, the auto pilot just died. And that was a simple roundabout with only one lane...

>640 KB ought to be enough for anybody.

A system that could navigate an 18 wheeler down the highway with high enough accuracy and ability to navigate obstacles (construction, police direction, etc), would be hugely useful. It could get to the exit it needs to take, wait at the shoulder for a local driver to drive it on the local roads and then they could drop it back at the highway where it goes back on its way. Shipping companies could employ drivers for dealing with these trucks in their area instead of having to have them each have a truck, which would mean there could be more trucks on the road than drivers to drive them. Additionally, they could drive as long as they want, there wouldn't be a need to limit a computer system to only running 8 hours a day.

You could also automate moving cargo in shipping ports and airports, where there isn't a lot of random obstacles or oncoming traffic.

big roundabouts are seriously confusing though. I once drove straight over the lines like this one because I could not figure out whether I was supposed to stop or even honestly which lane I was supposed to take.
Literally I was too low IQ to understand that pic related.

Attached: roundabout.jpg (1000x750, 153K)

This is the source:

cnet.com/news/alphabet-google-waymo-ceo-john-krafcik-autonomous-cars-wont-ever-be-able-to-drive-in-all-conditions/

In wich is stated in all condition period, non in all condition that can be driven by a human.

That by european standards is not a roundabout, but a fucking nightmare. I wonder which state build these abominations.

looks like a joisey thing

Honestly this seems like a good idea, and it would eliminate the need for truck drivers to be so far from home for most of their working life. You could just be a local trucker working in your area and be home to see the wife and kids for dinner each night.

Jesus Christ how horrifying

>center is abbreviated C'TRE
>none of the striping looks anything like FHWA standards
Definitely not in burger land
t. road designer

the most confusing part are the tiny sub-roundabouts because they are just painted on the ground. It feels like you're a total retard if you actually drive a circle for absolutely no clear reason around a painted white dot, double so if you do it with no other cars around rofl.

It's in Swindon, England

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)

I just knew that angl*s were responsible for this madness

I want one for 3mph crawling traffic, but I'm not willing to accept the compromises that come with passing all driver inputs through a chip.

Back to late 90s cars for me, the peak of automobiles.

what if there was a service where people from third world countries could drive your car remotely

This is like when people thought we would have flying cars. We will never have flying cars, people can't fucking handle normal cars. Hell I'll even admit to not always being the best driver because of my anxiety problems.

Transport companies. Taxi companies.
Public/mass transport providers.

>The central circle is not, as often claimed, an anticlockwise roundabout (there is no such thing), the size and shape of the central circle lead to this confusion.
>Traffic flow around the inner circle is counterclockwise

>In 2005, it was voted the worst roundabout in a survey of the general public by a UK insurance company. In September 2007, the Magic Roundabout was named as one of the world's worst junctions by a UK motoring magazine. In December 2007, BBC News reported a survey identifying The Magic Roundabout as one of the "10 Scariest Junctions in the United Kingdom"; however, the roundabout provides a better throughput of traffic than other designs and has an excellent safety record, since traffic moves too slowly to do serious damage in the event of a collision.
>In 2010, the National Cooperative Highway Research Program concluded that the roundabout reduces injurious crashes by three quarters.

How can all these things be true?

it's not really that hard

Attached: 1548338530115.jpg (1000x750, 194K)

This. I've unironically wanted rail systems to be the norm anyway. It doesn't have to be rails though, any implementation will do. Even if that's cars restricted to specific roads. I just want to get from point A to point B, without having to drive there myself. There's better ways to spend an hour commute than staring at other cars. And the commute route never changes unless the roads are fucked up anyway.

People are stupid. The design works, it's just complex so people don't like it. If you had to deal with it every day it probably wouldn't be an issue.

note how they conveniently neglected to mention the number of collisions per 10000 vehicles

In your quote it says that people are so confused by it that they drive slowly, so there are fewer injurious accidents and they are probably more willing to let people in if it's crowded.

>The design works, it's just complex so people don't like it
The pinnacle of engineering is not when there's nothing left to add, user.

This was just made by low IQ people it's not you
People just drive with 10miles per hour

I live here

IRL the thing is huge and the main bulk of traffic only go straight across each roundabout so they treat it much like a windy straight road.

You have give way lines before each turn, you only have to look at whats coming to the right of you.

Jersey, despite having horrible roads and old roads being widened out and modified to new exits and shit, has a lot of sane design, like the jug handles. At first it's weird but once you get used it they're great

Also those pictures are old, the traffic actually flows in the direction of the cars in this picture.

Attached: vbp-2193-Swindons-Magic-Roundabout-from-the-air.jpg (1280x720, 121K)

I'm curious to know if Google Maps or your GPS software can even handle that nightmare

>will never exist
god i hate the faggots who say this
it's not like he said it's going to be impossible to make in the next 10 years in his company. he said that level5 self-driving cars WILL LITERALLY NEVER EXIST. EVER. am i supposed to believe that the AI is at its current peak right now? whoever thinks there is any limitation for a future advanced AI and technology is a massive fucking retard.

I get that. And I could see how even a system where traffic moves very slowly could have superior throughput if it directs it in an efficient manner. But I'm curious how that is calculated. It says the primary reason for the good safety numbers is that the collisions that occur are less serious. But as observes, I'd like to know if collisions also occur at the same frequency as other designs. If they are more frequent. I would imagine that would affect the throughput and might factor into the consideration of the overall worth of the design.

I'm somewhat more curious about how the inner circle both is and is not anticlockwise.

spotted the software architect

>I'm somewhat more curious about how the inner circle both is and is not anticlockwise.

Observe the traffic flow here, for some reason the other pictures posted have incorrect directions for traffic

He wasn't just talking about AI. He specifically said that he that he can't envision a solution to the problem of sensors failing to function properly in adverse weather.

Ok, that actually looks pretty easy to navigate if you know where you're going (and rather difficult if you're not sure). I guess the Wikipedia entry is claiming that it is not an anticlockwise roundabout since the inner circle is actually the edges the outer roundabout and does not itself constitute one? It still looks to me like it could functionally be a roundabout even if it is rarely used as such, but maybe it doesn't technically qualify.

just architect, actually

Just like humans then. Except a car can mount an array of different sensors that will receive data better than any human can

And that's why it's better just to have a centrally managed vehicle movement. They are already doing it for aircraft traffic planning. Most of the delays at airports are due to human errors. AI is a meme.

The center circle is functionally comparable to a ring road, you can imagine stretching out the distances between each roundabout to get an easier to understand picture of what is really going on, like the signage on approach shows.

Attached: the-magic-roundabout.jpg (550x672, 59K)

>comparing air traffic to road traffic

Attached: 0.jpg (480x360, 11K)

God, imagine this crap when it's congested.

Centrally managed only takes care of the easiest tasks that even level 3s could do, like not crashing into a car that's obviously in front or to your side. Levels 4 and 5 are about the minutiae of the driving experience, avoiding the curb on turns, minimizing accidents and unexpected scenarios from bad drivers, etc.

The entire town is shit for traffic, we have the magic roundabout that draws a lot of attention but the entire town is littered with similar roundabout systems and nobody can do anything about it.

My family either all hate driving, or they work in distant cities/foreign countries.

But I mean they work.
My professor autopilots on shitty Louisiana interstates at least between Monroe and Shreveport

>A system that could navigate an 18 wheeler down the highway with high enough accuracy and ability to navigate obstacles (construction, police direction, etc), would be hugely useful.
I'm surprised this isn't the norm yet. A big limit to the amount of miles a truck can travel is the regulations that basically limit a driver to about 10 hours a day. If a driver could get on the interstate, turn over control to an AI, log himself as sleeping, and climb in to the sleeper it would drastically increase the amount of miles he could cover in a day. Twin 100gal tanks assuming 7mpg is 1400 miles. That will take 21.5 hours. An coast to coast haul would be cut down from about a week in a truck to 36 hours. The driver would only spend like 5 hours out of sleeping state on his logs. He'd have to refill his tanks once, do some safety inspections, and handle the city driving.

t. stuck in NJ until death

That's will it blend applied to automobiles.

What are you even trying to imply?

Just a few years. I've been up and down the east coast and lived in cali during my teens. Maybe I'll go back but I don't want to do leetcode