Gnome - shit?

Convince me that GNOME isn't shit. There's so many little glitches and stupid little things that it makes me want to go through the trouble changing OS just to get rid of it. There's really nothing in Ubuntu that bothers me, but despite my plebian taste I almost want to switch to something else (even just another flavour of Ubuntu) just to get rid of this shit.

Pic related, but there's more annoying things like how it makes my VM disagree with the host OS about where the mouse is, which causes the fucking dash thing to pop up and freeze my guest OS's cursor, or how I occasionally completely lose the ability to interact with any window via the mouse.

Attached: What happens when you plug in a phone.png (53x424, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

extensions.gnome.org/extension/1300/ubuntu-dock/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

On second thought, I really should've took the Terminal off of my shortcuts before I posted that screenshot. You guys are going to eat me alive for that, I just never bothered to learn the keyboard shortcut.

Attached: afuckingfoot.png (838x1198, 908K)

Took me a while to get that. Haven't they not used that logo since version 2? Like half a decade ago?

It's literally the most comfy and polished DE Linux has to offer

Some people like it for some reason. Personally I would say nothing looks and works better than KDE, only downsides are some not critical but slightly annoying bugs. If they focus more on fixing everything and not add too many features quickly it would be perfect.

>he's never used another DE

Gnome is shit, problem is all linux DEs are shit and it might be less shitty for someone than other DEs

GNOME used to be good but now is shit.

There are still a few worthwhile gnome-associated projects, like terminator.

When?

Works on my machine :)

Can't say that I'm surprised, my machine is ancient.

2.x

>all linux DEs are shit and it might be less shitty for someone than other DEs
This is my biggest fear, but is reality like that?

runs fine on my X220.

Well, I've tried 4 of them (LXDE, XFCE, GNOME, KDE) and they were all shit compared to Windows 10.

>go through the trouble changing OS just to get rid of it

just install another DE

Isn't Ubuntu weird about that shit?

What's wrong with KDE?

>all shit compared to Windows 10.
A properly configured KDE kills Windows 10.

Looks like shit, millions of setting and random menus everywhere. Feels like some chinese windows vista ripoff. Krashes (thought it was a meme, but it krashed in a first hour of use).

>windows
>better than anything

It’s fucking terrible

Why?

Hides all the important shit, wasted space, tablet UI on a fucking desktop, bloated as hell, have to use extensions for everything, red hat kikes and systemdick

No

All you guys complain too much. Gnome works great. KDE works great. Just use whatever the fuck you want, you don't have to convince people your non-preferred DE is bad.

Attached: 1537107091647.jpg (1080x1349, 160K)

Almost forget
>reddit title bars

Is that a kid?

Those glitches are the fault of Ubuntu, not Gnome. Install a distro with vanilla Gnome before you judge it, like Fedora, Arch or even Debian.

Source? You'll completely change my opinion of Gnome if you're right.

KDE is way better

Attached: kde-plasma-multi-clipboard.png (583x497, 178K)

Install these extensions and disable animations, and Gnome is as function-able as any other DE. Many of those extensions have been around since the beginning and should be included features by default.

Ubuntu’s Gnome is a shitshow, and their main goal was to make it look like Unity. The Ubuntu dock is somehow baked in without an easy way to disable it like normal extensions and it’s buggy as fuck, nautilus is several versions old compared to the rest of the gnome packages, basic stuff like the gnome calculator or process monitor are snaps for no good reason and take a minute to load, and I could go on. It’s shit on top of an already bloated base. Just boot a live image of Fedora and see how much better everything feels.

>these
?

This desu
Gnome isn't perfect or highly configurable but it gets the job done. Poobuntu is hot garbage, really only useful for servers if that

>Ubuntu sucks
Cool, guess I'll finally move to Debian.

Attached: install_these.png (1124x894, 145K)

Thanks user. Now I've just got to remember how the fuck you install these in Ubuntu.

Not him, but the fact that you have to install those to make gnome functional when other DEs do that shit right out of the box (minus the dock, dtp is my preference) is down right fucking abysmal.

Attached: 1546977742306.jpg (500x500, 53K)

Got it!

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-24 21-27-33.png (1366x741, 49K)

They're just plugins.Lots of software takes this approach.

the power of foot fags

Yea, but I don't think those bits of software have plugins that change the software that hard, at least that I have seen.

Attached: cf147d57bf57ee574f14fb47a13db49e.png (502x503, 554K)

GNOME is shit. Use KDE

Attached: 036bdd69321dd577d6f5ec9fa1a37a58.png (513x682, 155K)

Bloody hell, I've not seen a Troll Face in like half a decade.

has someone who has tried:
openbox
gnome shell
kde
xfce
LXDE
i3
and dwm
gnome is the one with the least bugs and better integration of everything. And has comfy dynamic workspaces.
don't use the ubuntu-session, hot garbage
I use none of them, well just places.
Other DEs don't have none of those by default, just KDE has removable drive but that's stupid since you can umount them or use nautilus, or don't be a girl and unplug them.
The one that is not in gnome but it is in other desktops is to hide the status bar, but most applications that benefit from that have a full screen mode.
Xfce has a places widget on the bar and a dock but all of that I don't even use it, I use dmenu or the gnome search option to launch applications, which Xfce doesn't have.
Gnome has the most sane defaults, deal with it. And uses less resources than kde

What "sane" defaults does gnome have? Mate and Cinnamon are leagues ahead and Mate is abandonware. The only time I've seen sane defaults was pop_os...

Attached: 1546895952913.png (720x540, 500K)

>don't use the ubuntu-session, hot garbage
Sorry, session? Are you just saying that the Ubuntu version sucks? Or is there something special going on here?

imagine actually believing this

nope its fine desu

>mate
doesn't have file indexer and app launcher by default, back to Windows XP.
>cinnamon
cinnamon uses like 50% more resources than gnome just for a fucking green theme and a menu
>pop os
flat icons meme
ubuntu-session is the thing you launch with gdm on a default desktop Ubuntu. It has a lot of modifications from normal gnome-session, like the fucking Amazon shortcut, disgusting to look at too. I don't like the permanent dock on the left.
>believing

>Ubuntu dock
What does that second one even do? I've just turned it on and noticed absolutely no difference.

extensions.gnome.org/extension/1300/ubuntu-dock/
What the fuck?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-24 23-37-02.png (767x251, 30K)

Almost every DE out there relies on at least some kind of Panel plug-ins. KDE especially runs on a bunch of plugins considering it's deep binding with Compiz.
If you are a LARPing Winfag ... There exist thousands of plugin software infiltrating the Windows API.

>imagine being this stupid.

Attached: 1542216663052.png (1500x1500, 1.53M)

>Places Status Indicator
Holy fuck I love it.

I am now an enlightened life form.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-24 23-59-53.png (1144x445, 70K)

As someone who has to indirectly deal with them through some open-source software development I do, I can confirm that they are indeed the worst.
KDE are a much more cooperative bunch.

Attached: 1527040650343.png (1600x1200, 1.8M)

an OS inside an OS

Wait, how is being able to unmount removable drivers stupid?

What's wrong wit Xfce?

its gtk based, and has thus become bloated eating the ass end of the GNOME human centipede.
mate or gnome flashback is a better option than xfeces at this point.

Changing OS to get rid of a DE is the most retarded thing I have ever heard. Just install another DE moron.

Kubuntu

Top panel workspace scroll (or something called like that) is the most important extension if you use mouse. Other extensions do not needed imo.