Why haven't you installed it yet?

Attached: debian.png (322x400, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

derpibooru.org/1650304
tracker.debian.org/pkg/mcomix
debiandog.github.io/doglinux/zz02stretchdog.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

But i'm running it right now OP

I have stable installed on both of my servers and I've got testing installed on my work and personal laptops. Where else should I install it already???

ps4

I have a laptop running debian but I've cosnidered switching back to Slackware because systemd always fucking hangs for like 3 minutes on shutdown unless I logout first

I have.

I like having packages released this decade

systemd is getting worse and worse

>4.9.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.130-2 (2018-10-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have, but I don't know how much I like it, the package repositories are not very sexy, why the fuck do I have to suffer and use old software?

maybe debian unstable is different, is it??

>why the fuck do I have to suffer and use old software?
This.
>maybe debian unstable is different, is it??
One time I tried to update/upgrade to unstable, but I bricked the system because it went to sleep while upgrading. I'm still using it.

Attached: why.png (216x233, 8K)

old, outdated packages

Stop shilling for distros and just use what works.
Don't use linux if you need the validation of others to feel good about using it.

>tfw Debian made you stop distrohopping

Attached: 1535224123190.jpg (1024x700, 142K)

What distro would you choose then?

Don't you understand what he meant? Debian, Gentoo, Arch, whatever you pick, all of them work and all of them have their positives and negatives like any distro. Just pick whatever you like the most and use it.

why is he so buffed lmao

/etc/systemd/system.conf

#DefaultTimeoutStopSec=90s

It stopped being good about a decade ago.

Because Windows 7 is superior

systemd and usr-merge

i did
years ago

because it is running old software. Only reason why i use ubuntu instead of debian.
Ubuntus software support is on par with debian, but they have a lot newer software.

Arch because it has good documentation

>kill a man and steal his creation, ask why people don't use it

This is a strange complaint. The kernel doesn't really matter, and Debian puts effort into providing backports for the few people who may require a newer one.

debian testing user

So does Debian, Gentoo and many other distros

t. baited guy

Who killed who?

arch is unironically better

>This is a strange complaint
Pretty sure he posted that to let OP know he's using debian

Ubuntu Server 16.04 is better. Come back once you have more drivers, better package management, more packages, like why isn't sudo already standard!?

The newest Ubuntu Server installer is broken though so that's why I still use 16.04

Because I use pic related and arg linugs is my boot loader

Attached: dashLogo.png (600x482, 25K)

Why would I want yesterday's technology today?

Die you fucking Barneyfag
derpibooru.org/1650304

Attached: Bronies, this is your mindset.png (307x157, 28K)

I've been running testing since 2005 though, can't even get Intel drivers on Windows for Vulkan on my integrated GPU.

debian is either ancient or unstable. systemd is also an issue.
more inportantly, as someone who reads shit tons of manga, for whatever inexplicable reason, they removed mcomix from the repos.
i like apt much better than rpm, but thats about all debian has going for it.
i want a distro with an old stable kde desktop, but with "bleeding edge" non-qt software (e.g. ffmpeg,compilers,kernel).
basically, the exact opposite of kde neon. i want to avoid systemd, but want corporate QA and precompiled software packages, so void and gentoo are out.

since nothing really fits my criteria, ive been considering going for a *bsd or settling for suse tumbleweed.

I see. Please excuse my autism.

mcomix works for me and seems to be in every current Debian version
tracker.debian.org/pkg/mcomix

[2018-01-26]mcomix REMOVED from testing(Debian testing watch)

its good that they fixed it, but it still pissed me off to no end that i run an ordinary system update and they purge my installed software

"Debian Stable" is not stable. First of all, any software that interacts with an online API is doomed to be broken (e.g. mps-youtube, rtv, etc.). It baffles me that they even include these softwares in their repositories. Are they not aware that dozens of packages in the "stable" Debian repo are broken? If you use Debian you open yourself to vulnerabilities. All webkit browsers in Debian repos have security issues and crash all the time (e.g. install any webkit browser and open web inspector). Softwares in Debian are old. For example tesseract-ocr in Debian repos uses the old OCR engine, which is completely useless compared to the newer tesseract engine. Imagine finding out tesseract in Debian and converting many pdf books into text. It will be subpar quality, if you were using a rolling-release distro the conversion would be the best quality possible. Debian repos also miss many popular productivity software (e.g. Godot, azpainter, etc.). apt package manager is complete garbage. It will fuck up your dependencies, mark packages "manually installed" when you're checking if a package is installed or not, immediately start a daemon when you """install""" it. On top of these it's slow as molasses. If you try to use backports as a remedy for old packages, apt is guaranteed to fuck up your dependencies. Also apt syntax is cumbersome, its output is unclear and unhelpful. apt will also install gazillion of unneeded packages. If you use --no-install-recommends, apt will fuck up your dependencies sooner or later. Debian sucks in other ways too, namely systemd. So, install Void.

You get sudo if you leave the root password empty in the installer

Already installed Gentoo

dont select [Y] blindly?

Testing really is not meant for an ordinary system, regardless of the bad advice you may find on the internet. It's automatically managed by scripts that watch bug trackers.

>"Debian Stable" is not stable
Debian defines stable as "not changing". All software is terrible and full of bugs, but freezing your system allows a competent user to fix issues without worrying about the next update.

>If you use Debian you open yourself to vulnerabilities. All webkit browsers in Debian repos have security issues and crash all the time
I believe issues with webkit itself are handled by normal security updates. You're only facing vulnerabilities introduced by the dumb wrapper doing dumb stuff.

>Softwares in Debian are old...if you were using a rolling-release...
Here's the thing: no distro is ever going to package all the software you need, configured exactly as you want it. Debian provides binaries for 99% of what you need, then allows you to compile local versions of anything extra. These extra packages only need to be compiled once, because the libraries are frozen and will not change as they would on a rolling system.

I do agree that the presence of broken internet API tools in the Debian repos is baffling

I'm not a lesbian

I use Ubuntu MATE. I experiment with Debian on a VM.

>installed debian testing
>thousands of localization packages and fcitx
>wifi adapter won't connect properly, even with firmware copied from a distro that works
>try to install dotnet sdk, need for work
>broken dependencies
welp back to fedora i go

It's under there somewhere.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-24 22-14-31.png (630x272, 24K)

In your schizoid hallucinations.

kys

because systemd turned debian in to borgware and i dont want to be assimilated into the borg

>using a distro whose logo is a pube

xubuntu

my god you're right.

I have been sinning this whole time.

Attached: 1548403143024.jpg (800x640, 108K)

>systemd
Case closed.

Attached: 1534929824519.jpg (181x203, 16K)

If I'm going to install a systemd distro, I might as well install one that has more than one maintainer for the whole package.

I'll be honest senpai I would be using Solus if their repos connection weren't so shit(when are they going to fix it that hell)where you have to Crtl+C on the terminal permanently to restart it the updates/downloads.

Since that shit is still going on, I just use Debian stable. Works, never have a problem, I don't install shit I shouldn't, it's perfect for what I need

Attached: winning move.png (1024x576, 281K)

*freezes*
heh, nothing personnel

I have, and it's called StretchDog
noticed the 90mb ram usage? ;)

debiandog.github.io/doglinux/zz02stretchdog.html

Attached: stretch-jwm.jpg (680x426, 65K)

>i686
kys 32bitfag

Why are the packages so fucking ancient

stable has that issue.
testing is much less so.

have it on my laptop

i am a debian user on both home servers and personal laptop+desktop, and have a hate for "using arch btw" users. but Arch does have one of the best wikis, and it contains information for debian and such aswell.

brainlet doesn't understand how to use backports or that unstable means unstable.

>shit tons of manga
stopped reading there. your opinion is null.

I want packages that are newer than 2 years old

>install media needs a network to continue
>no wireless driver
>no ethernet driver
>asks me to insert a floppy
The installation process is just a small taste of what's to come. If it's already a hassle before I install it, it isn't going to improve later on.

Barely tbqh. It has good docs if you literally never stray off the beaten path. Unique problems with special configs happen, when you ask for help, you get dismissed to "read the wiki"

why would i want old stable when there is ubuntu that somewhat updated and stable,

learn to read the wikis and don't create a frankendebian. I never had any problems the wiki's didn't solve in the last years. just learn to love default configs desu

because i've already opensuse'd my compuder
stable like debian but with newer packages
5/5 all in all

You expected otherwise?

I'm stuck on ubuntu.

It's creator was murdered by the FBI.

Why haven't you installed it yet?

Attached: Void_Linux_logo.png (1200x989, 62K)

created by a spic

Debian is an absolute shit distro, pretty much broken by design by now, and nothing but a shadow of its former self.
There are better Linux distributions for any case you can think of.

>systemd

>tfw when you're not using systemd bloat

Attached: Untitled.png (877x402, 47K)

Instead you use bloat the OS

I'd say windows's service manager is way less bloated than systemdick

sounds like you have defective hardware. networking set up during install just fine for me

Attached: works_on_my_machine_mug.jpg (460x460, 21K)

I've been running ubuntu since 2002

Because arch exists

Been using it since 2008 user. I did just switch from windowmaker to Plasma a few days ago

kys

Thinking of using MX instead OP. It's debian stable but with newer packages and not in a frankendebian style. It just werks

Today, the init!
Tomorrow, the world!

Attached: hitlers-nazi-army-was-kicked-out-of-paris-73-years-ago-friday(1).png (840x630, 377K)

>used custom repos
>not frankendebian
hmm

PEBKAC.
KYS.

Attached: Clorox.drink.up(1).gif (498x382, 158K)

>MX Linux combines packages from Debian Stable and antiX with MX packages in a dedicated repo that can be browsed on the Community Repository page. Debian Stable is a wonderful solid distribution that can be upgraded in place from version to version automatically as long as the Debian Stable repos are used exclusively. MX uses Debian Stable as a base, but updates a lot of the userland programs & libraries, and backports newer programs from testing by building them against the Stable base. That gives a better user experience but interferes with Debian's dist-upgrade path. Our current choice is to stick with sysvinit instead of going to full systemd. So it's a trade-off: better desktop user experience at the expense of having to do a quick fresh install (which lets you save /home if desired) when the Debian base changes, typically every 2-3 years

Because I'm using xubuntu?

I did but I uninstalled it for arch

I have pic related installed on my computer.

Pic related is literally Debian without systemd.

Attached: devuan-logo.png (230x48, 3K)

>still Debian
>still a horrible package manager
>but now, instead of a bad implementation of systemd, you get an even worse implementation of whatever alternative init crosses your mind
>and best of all? they don't even build their own packages, so libsystemd is still a thing
Yeah I'll have to pass on that one

>fell for Debian meme
It's 2012?