Does anyone else think the digital TV switch was really poorly handled...

Does anyone else think the digital TV switch was really poorly handled? A fuckton of almost brand new TVs only a couple of years old which people spent good money got thrown out.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to wait about 15 years when a set you purchased in 2005 was ready to be retired?

That rustles my jimmies.

Attached: disposing_of_old_tvs.jpg (800x558, 165K)

Do you have the vaguest idea how the world works?

no? people buy new shit all the time, deal with it

>why didnt people just use old technology?

Attached: 1535255324212.png (200x202, 10K)

Most people I know just kept there old crt's until it was time to upgrade. HD TVs were expensive in the early stages so when the old CRTs finally gave out there were plently of affordable digitals ready.

>Most people I know just kept there old crt's until it was time to upgrade.
this desu, the gubberment gave out coupons for converter boxes

I'm more pissed off with how fucking hard it is to dispose of CRTs without paying to do so. I mean I can pitch medical waste easier than I can dump one of these things. I don't want to just drop it off the side of the hill like so many people do but fuck you if I'm gonna pay

My parents used their CRT until just this year.
Also the US government provided free convertors for those affected.

Manufactures were already prepared for the switch for years as well.

Attached: 1493754799448.gif (500x465, 370K)

Didn't they make it that TV stations were literally banned from using analog broadcasting?

It was.

Sell yours to a /vr/fag.

I just left mine on the side of the road and some nig took it.

wtf r u talking about?

I still have 2 CRT tv's sitting around and 2 crt monitors 1 sitting around the other I put on an old IBM ps/2.

The switchover was highly publicized long beforehand. Almost any TV bought coming up to it was already digital capable, and those that weren't could still be used with a $20 converter box.

There was the whole gubmint set-top box incentive program for boomers to get a cheap/free digital OTA receiver and keep their existing TV. But I think most of them had cable anyway

Attached: 0619737E-4919-4C5B-AB74-6327209663B4.jpg (300x300, 55K)

They had already delayed the switch twice before it actually happened. Long overdue and we ended up with an outdated digital TV standard that was developed in the 90's. MPEG-2 and 8VSB modulation was a mistake.

Thanks to digital TV you can no longer receive broadcast signals in areas where you could have gotten decent to adequate analog reception. Also boomers just got their free converter boxes to use with their 1970s wooden cabinet crts.

Yet still hugely superior to analog in resolution, RF spectrum use, and channels available. The only real downside was that as analog begins to fail, it just looks messy and loses quality. As digital fails, the instant dropouts are pretty much unbearable.

I broke mine to pieces and threw it into a dumpster,just like I do with my old furniture.It's illegal but I am a very irresponsible person so i dont care.

I still have the 9-inch CRT+VCR combo I had in my bedroom as a kid sitting somewhere gathering dust along with my old consoles. My PC monitor is a 21-inch trinitron.
I started seeing disclaimers on analog-only TVs in stores since 2007. There was no excuse unless you can't read.

Exactly. And even if you bought one, the converter boxes were cheap and worked fine.

As a kid-college I went through having a small 5inch hand down thing then an old 19inch zenith that had a built in radio tuner in it, the last one was a 27in sylvania and i still have that one + a smaller 20in sylvania with a flat tube that I used in college dorm.

The way I saw it those converter boxes were for people below or close to the poverty line who couldn't afford a proper HDTV.

At that point they should've adopted DVB-T2 instead to take advantage of MPEG-4 and OFDM modulation. Instead, we're currently stuck with bandwidth starved HD and multipath hell.

Fortunately, ATSC 3.0 will improve everything.

>ATSC 3.0
we'll need new tvs for that?

The government subsidy on them was. The boxes themselves were for anyone who didn't care about HD and just wanted to keep using the TV they already had.

If you want natively yeah, but they'll release convertors and USB tuner sticks for it.

There were two waves of CRT disposal. The first was from 2008 to 2011 when middle class to wealthy households left their highend Trinitron DVD/VCR combo units out on the driveway. The second was 2015 to now when flatscreens got really cheap to the point poorfags are throwing out their bargain bin store brand tubes.

See Everything you said in your post makes me think you're a legit retard who cannot into even basic economical principals.