The Dreamcast is technology, and if you don't think so, may I remind you that NetBSD still officially supports it...

The Dreamcast is technology, and if you don't think so, may I remind you that NetBSD still officially supports it. Discuss.

Attached: 319Y92ZmGEL._SR600,315_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg (600x315, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y2OpVYTb9x8
i.pomf.fun/97e3os.mp4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I love this thing, but I shouldn't
wish SEGA had taken more time, instead of trying to beat everyone to market
textures and colors are great, but everything is just so low-poly

The dreamcast is the beat console that ever existed

If Dreamcast was so great, why did Sega just say, "fuck it" and kill it off?

It was the PERFECT opportunity for a 3DO like system to appear.
It is pretty much entirely made out of off the shelf components that worked in tandem like a charm, so if someone powerful enough made it some sort of standard, it might just worked.

The American and Japanese branches of the company hated each other and tried to fuck with each other.

Yet it runs on windows CE natively /thread

test

Everyone decided to wait for PS2 instead. After genesis addons and saturn no one was willing to be buttfucked by sega shit again.

Sadly this, they kept trying to milk people for as much money as possible with console add-ons. Got a Genesis? great! Buy this CD-ROM add-on for almost twice the price of the Genesis! Don't have a genesis? Well plunk down about 5 hundo for both machines! But wait! Here's the 32X! Another 200 plzkthx. Two words Sega fans: Sega. Saturn.

Don't forget they decided not to use DVD-ROM standard Sony and MS used and therefor didn't have DVD video playback, opting instead to use some obscure af GD-ROM tech that would later be shoved into the Gamecube.

/thread

Anyone else ever get around to replacing their disc drives? Picked up someone's dead machine to turn it into an USB-GDROM sled and aside from being a little picky with flash drives it's working great so far.

>If Dreamcast was so great, why did Sega just say, "fuck it" and kill it off?
Because their consumer hardware division was literally bankrupting them in between having to rack up massive per-unit losses matching the Playstation in the Saturn years when only Nips actually bought games and then taking massive per-unit losses again in the Dreamcast era giving everyone free modems and keyboards.

It was a fantastic machine, but Sega was just too badly wounded from their past blunders to support the business strategy they tried to pursue for it.

Attached: ode.jpg (4032x3024, 1.79M)

You have to include it on the disc.
The crushing majority of the DC software does not use it.

They ran out of money.

Don't get me wrong I love this system, but they made quite a shitty move partnering with Microsoft.
Also utopia bootdisk, last nail in the coffin.

I never get why they try so hard to market the bring the arcade at home, nobody cared then, nobody cared now.

Yes, but it's not very precise or fair to say that "Dreamcast use Windows CE", when you have to literally include it on the disc, and there's only like 2 or 3 games that actually use it (and run like shit due that).

I reminisced of the shitty sticker on the front that gave me nausea back then.

Another point, the vmu was retarded, trying to cash out on the corpse of Tamagochi, what a cheap move. The controller sucked monkey ass too, god the stick was awful.

It was a weird idea.
Now if you want to see with your own eyes how a game powered by Windows CE look like:
youtube.com/watch?v=Y2OpVYTb9x8
It was not very smart to waste a shitton of memory with an useless operating system when you only had 24MB to work with.

Yeah not so quite good...
Reminds me that the Dreamcast had that kind of sound design, the sounds fx from the menu were pretty awesome too.

24mb daaaamn, I feel old.

It was a massive step up over the 4MB and something of the other consoles.

This Look at the products that made it to market then look at all the ones that didn't.
SEGA spent 150% of their budget on R&D.
i.pomf.fun/97e3os.mp4

Not to mention they had no support after the Saturn. The Saturn was notoriously hard to develop for, mostly because of the SDK. Apparently SEGA wised up and made a great one for the Dreamcast but nobody trusted them. Especially with Microsoft fear mongering about how secure (in regards to copy protection) their platform was compared to everyone else at the time.
This was BEFORE either console was exploited in the first place. And to this day why people claim piracy was the death of SEGA when it had nothing to do with it.

>off the shelf components
>maple bus

Attached: wut.gif (322x281, 251K)

Isn't that mostly a software thing? Or there is a custom IC involved?

nice
sega rally 2, now that was a game

It was the first console to have massive multiplayer. Nothing will compare to playing Chu Chu Rocket, Phantasy Star Online and Ooga Booga.

>Or there is a custom IC involved?

Attached: chip.jpg (350x250, 26K)

If you pay a bit more, the IC plant will silkscreen even the daily dose for you.

>Anyone else ever get around to replacing their disc drives? Picked up someone's dead machine to turn it into an USB-GDROM sled and aside from being a little picky with flash drives it's working great so far.
What do I have to buy to get into on this? Cocksucking Nintendo annihilated the damn ROM scene and it's nigh impossible to get CDI rips of Dreamcast games now. At least GDI rips are prolific now that there's allegedly a way to play them.

>What do I have to buy to get into on this? Cocksucking Nintendo annihilated the damn ROM scene and it's nigh impossible to get CDI rips of Dreamcast games now. At least GDI rips are prolific now that there's allegedly a way to play them.
An optical disc replacement GDEMU or a USB-GDROM. You unscrew four screws to take the top off your shell, then three screws to remove the GDROM drive from the motherboard.

From there, you slip the ODE on where the drive was, put the screws from the disc drive back in in EXACTLY the positions you took them from (they differ in length and it's possible to poke a hole through your mobo screwing the wrong one in the wrong hole), and from there install anything else you want before sealing the DC back up such as a resistor over the 12V line or 3D-printed mount to control internal heat and airflow.

The cheapest way to get into the ODE scene is a GDEMU clone that will boot DC game images off an SD card for about $60 (official ones are more expensive and almost never in stock). The most robust solution is a USB-GDROM for $170 (which I have) since it's a lot less picky about file structure and can boot off any USB 2.0 storage device 2TB or smaller.