Best language for noobs?

I’m completely new to programming. I want to learn a language that will teach me how programming works rather than obscuring things I will have to learn later anyway. Usefulness/employability is also a factor, and ease of learning too to some extent. For whatever language you advise, which resources should I use to learn?

Attached: D2386174-1BE6-4C5C-B974-006E4654A218.jpg (1080x675, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

automatetheboringstuff.com/
amazon.com/Code-Language-Computer-Hardware-Software/dp/0735611319
edx.org/course/introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-using-python-0
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it doesn't matter honestly
don't get stuck in the weeds trying to learn a language when in fact you should be learning programming in general, languages are just tools

Python
automatetheboringstuff.com/

I personally started with Python and it gave me a pretty good grasp on things.

I'm now working on HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and PHP.

It mainly just comes down to what you want to do with it. For example, all the languages I listed are used for web development.

Buy this book: amazon.com/Code-Language-Computer-Hardware-Software/dp/0735611319

Then learn C or C++ for a year

Then start to learn something productive like Node.js or whatever employers are currently asking for right now

if i could go back, i'd start with SICP.

>I want to learn a language that will teach me how programming works rather than obscuring things

C or C++

hands down

C++

Spot the neckbeards stuck in IT

Attached: 000.jpg (462x490, 40K)

Python
edx.org/course/introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-using-python-0
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python is pretty good too, but the above course is probably the golden standard, it's the course given to MIT students with little or no previous programming experience.

any programming language will teach you how programming works, just at different levels.

From low to high, the list goes something like C -> C++ -> C# -> Java -> Python -> Javascript

If you want to go full stack, start python, then learn C# or Java (Java is simpler but has less features), then C++ (which will teach you most of the C stuff anyways). At that point it will be clear to you what you need to learn to accomplish pretty much any task that programming can solve.

best advice

best answer to op's question

>implying html is programming
if it is then html is by far the easiest probably

What kind of work do you have in your mind?

If you don't have any, Python is a safe choice.
Also, trust this reply and learn from that site.

So you want to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/

For C++:
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.

if ur serious, learn C because its syntax is very small and limited, you'll learn the basics about variables, pointers/reference, program structure, compiling.

do not start with C++ because it's a clusterfuck, there's an insane number of features that let u do cool things, but can overwhelm a beginner.

same with clusterfuck python/javascript. they hide details and have a lot of features so programmers can code complex stuff faster. but u can easily develop bad habits and fall into the category of retarded boot camp grads.

if u learn C first, then ull understand why C++, python, js, rust, etc... exist.

C++ Bjarne Stroustrup's

go straight c/c++.
You will get to learn everything

OP, look....functional programming is the way of the future. Set yourself up for success and high-salary by learning a future-proof language: Scala.

>do not start with C++ because it's a clusterfuck, there's an insane number of features that let u do cool things, but can overwhelm a beginner.

do not start with a graphing calculator, start with a 4 function one so you're not overwhelm :^)

Mandarin.

haskell

Find the programming environments that have good books, good tools, good libraries, and a good community.
From that set choose the programming system that fits your environment - are you going to design: enterprise services, desktop applications, embedded systems?
From that set, choose the system that fits your personal style of thinking and culture.

neat

>let's show 6 year old kids calculus to teach them how to arithmetic

where did you think those 8 year old pajeet math grad students came from user
c++ should be taught in primary school
rather than bs plastic toys with animals

learn Haskell, it's fun!

Code... thanks for this suggestion!
Just had to pick it up!
New to coding and ENG myself so this will prove invaluable! Shanks!

>math grad students
>graphing calculators
Lol, they're like expensive toys for engineers, they're not useful for math at all.

Attached: 1383275033593.jpg (600x753, 38K)

3 mil. self-thought shitskinned hindus just like yourself are learning rust as we speak.

just give up and start flipping burgers, because without a degree you are doomed for no pay internships for the rest of your life.

I think the main two approaches are "top down" or "bottom up". In my university, I was taught bottom up: first "pseudoassembly" (i.e. non-existent assembly with just the basic operations and no quirks like short/long jump etc.), then C, then C++, then C#, and then Python. I think this approach gives most solid knowledge, but requires a lot of time to be able to actually start writing something useful.
The other way is top down, the other way around, starting with something like Python, which gives the fastest returns, which means less chance of quitting early if you do it by yourself. But then it's easy to say "ok, I know a programming language, no need to learn this piece of shit C" and lack good understanding of what actually happens.

i came here to troll you with a shit language like go or C but this has been done to death. Just do some java tutorials.