Spend years telling it to blue collar workers with a word processor on your macbook

>spend years telling it to blue collar workers with a word processor on your macbook
>cry foul when it happens to you

Attached: 80A8797D-630C-4075-8BD6-459E118BBB07.jpg (750x549, 199K)

Other urls found in this thread:

chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-buzzfeed-huffpost-layoffs-20190123-story.html
youtu.be/vD0gVRI_kEQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

L

coder here, last year's w2 was 300k+

i have an anime twitter avatar but i promise all my tweets are nice

>spend years telling it to blue collar workers with a word processor on your macbook
Except that's not what happened.

Attached: 1004950365.jpg (250x250, 10K)

>Capitalism hating commies who prioritize spreading their ideology over everything else cause the businesses they work for to go under

Who could have seen this coming?

Good

>Hell for people who tell others to learn to code.
Why? Programming is one of the best skills to acquire in the modern age. Wasn't everyone "pro-coding" just ~3-4 years ago?

I have been telling people to learn programming for nearly a decade. Am I going to hell?

The blue checkmark class is the new aristocracy and we're heading into a new french revolution. Anime avatars are the least of his worries.

Also, learn to code. It's easy as fuck like driving.

I have been living in my mother's basement without internet access for the past 2 months, what is this guy and post about ?

Huffpost, buzzfeed and some other 'internet news' sites had to fire 10-20% of their workers because they aren't bringing enough money in to keep the lights on. Journalists mad, attack on free press because no one wants to read click bait etc, etc.

1- Link to this?
2- Why "some journalists are out of a job" lead to "people who learn to program should go to hell"?

chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-buzzfeed-huffpost-layoffs-20190123-story.html
I have no idea about #2.

For a long time the Blue Checkmarks on Twitter would respond to any complaints about globalism leading to MUH JOBS (or rather a lack of them) with
>Awww, I'm sowwy snowfwake, aw you twiggwed that we're going to turn your kids into trannies and then send you to prison for it? I'm sowwy you wost your jowb in your stupid racist redneck hick town, should've learned to code!
And now they're throwing a bitch fit about how it's BLUMPF's fault that they're being fired for being worthless.

Jow Forums-related folks, upon learning of the layoffs recalled the fact that coastal journalist types have had a habit of telling folks (formerly) employed in America's declining industrial and farming sector to get over and learn to code. So in typical fashion they returned the favor.

>massive layoffs at news
>probably because ads arent making the big bucks they used to
>suddenly both google and Mozilla kikes come out against adblockers

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
golly gee willickers that sure is one heck of a coinkydink

Attached: 30.jpg (633x640, 51K)

My favorites are all the responses from their colleagues in unions who are like, "WE STAND WITH YOU IN SOLIDARITY!" with their commie fists in the air and shit. The funniest one was some dude responded to one of those with something along the lines of, "lol, they got laid off what the hell did the union do for them other than fuck 'em?" and the chick responded like, "well if they didn't have the union they wouldn't have got a severance package they fought for!" which was like 3 months of salary or something. I was howling laughing.

Imagine being as petty and spiteful as you. Who gives a fuck about any of this dumb shit. Live your own life. Maybe get off the internet sometimes and go explore outside. Nothing is keeping you inside.

The journalists started it. You're a weak person.

I dunno. You're the one getting triggered by some faggot who went into debt so they can write blog posts on a subpar news site. I'm living my own life and having a great time.

>BuzzFeed will lay off about 15 percent of its staff
>Vice is seeking to cut its workforce by about 10 to 15 percent this year
>Verizon Media Group announced its own round of layoffs of about 7 percent on Wednesday
>Vox cut about 50 staffers early last year.
>Refinery29 dropped about 10 percent of its staff, or about 40 people, in October.
>Mic laid off its entired editorial staff in November.
Holy wow! Is this the journocaust? Why is this happening? The article says "faltering digital-news economy", but it does not state the cause, and I am not buying it. E-journalism should be booming, since everyone in the universe owns 3 smartphones and spends 8 hours a day reading online stuff. I would have personally expected e-journalism to be hiring more people, not firing them.

>had a habit of telling folks to get over and learn to code
>in typical fashion they returned the favor
Interesting! I am heading over to Jow Forums to observe. Thanks for the headsup!

Attached: AllKindsOfWhat.jpg (801x536, 90K)

based

Attached: 1526007639118.png (664x735, 146K)

>I am heading over to Jow Forums to observe.
Well now fella, I'm not so sure that is such a hot idea.

>I'm not so sure that is such a hot idea
Eh, it is not that different from going to comment section of any large international news story... or the Youtube comment section of any controversial topic.

Anyway, I am back now, with only some slight mental scars. Looks like the place is on fire:

Jow Forums is having the time of their life!

Hi. I'm an oldfag who works in media but originally came from a sales background and is starting his own media company. The long and the short of it is all these companies sold out to google and facebook and have no fucking idea what they're doing when it comes to advertising because they're all young people who've never actually worked in media or understood how it worked, pre-craigslist/pre-internet. Then VICE came along and thought they had figured out the system and they kinda did but, unfortunately, their leadership were a bunch of burn-out drug addicts who were just smart enough and had enough spunk to go out and make a lot of money to go buy more drugs and a few hookers on the side. Then all these other guys thought they could just clone or fork the VICE model and print money. Main problem is they're all fucking retarded.

>You're a weak person

Attached: 1485241369564.jpg (324x268, 25K)

3rd degree burn incoming.

Attached: learn_to_code.jpg (1080x1920, 219K)

>since everyone in the universe owns 3 smartphones and spends 8 hours a day reading online stuff
Why would anyone spend 8 hours a day reading buzzfeed tier garbage?

Attached: high quality buzzfeed news.jpg (640x503, 26K)

Yet we're both here bitching about this in one way or another. You're not above us bucko

kek

this is my favorite right now

That's slick.

How hard do you think the average journalist screeches every time CNN posts a breaking news update about how Trump drank a diet coke, ordered a hamburger, combed his hair or some other bullshit?

Savage. Have an anime.

Attached: 1523037185772-c.jpg (698x1000, 112K)

iTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1519966747823.gif (540x304, 1.78M)

Should I start JavaScript or C#?

Do you mean Java?
Javascript and C# are not in the same category.

Yes I mean Java want something to start with. C++ was too complex.

Java is unnecessarily verbose. Unless you are getting into algorithms or performance stick with Python.

This. Jow Forums has a lot higher (or lower, depending on how you look at it) opinion of itself than it deserves. There's nothing here that isn't done bigger and better elsewhere - only the amount of traffic here makes it remotely interesting.

Javascript is piss easy and most jobs that hire people with no experience do javascript because it's just that easy to train someone into learning it, C# is more """corporate""" but at that point you might just go Java+Oracle and be dosh king, but it will be harder to land a decent job with no experience.

Java is pretty easy and would give you more flexibility in the market than C#. C# wouldn't be a bad idea if you intend to work within the .NET framework, especially on things like Microsoft's Azure platform, which continues to boom.
If your goal is something really easy to get started with, Python is the best option. There's increasing demand for it across sectors.

>C++ was too complex.
Then you want to start with C, or maybe even Python.

Also, I have a copy/pasta on "starting to learn programming':

>Why is this happening?

Tons of reason but primarily people are just abandoning established media companies because most of the time they can find a blog or a youtuber with more interesting information.

They can't effectively monetize it.

>laid off journalist
or never laid journalist
oof

Attached: 1519463782634.png (668x637, 361K)

Thank god im leaving tech industry soon and starting as a noob site supervisor for some large construction company for now.

Serious talk

I'm a marketer. I run a website that makes 6-figures annually. I live in a third world country where this is a lot of money. I save nearly $80k/year.

My skills are very cutting edge and massively in demand.

HOWEVER, I constantly worry about being made redundant. And I've always liked the idea of coding.

Should I learn to code? I already know HTML/CSS very well (good enough to make modern looking websites).

Or should I just focus on what I'm already good at - bringing traffic and qualified leads to websites?

>Some people on the internet decided x is gay and is dating y and that's a good thing
And these are the same people that get mad that a doctor look a person's genitals and "assumed their sex" or whatever the fuck.

>marketer
I think you should either kill yourself or start using that charisma to start slinging dick because those are your only real options

Attached: 1468596845287.jpg (544x499, 42K)

People like me are literally the only reason your shittily coded product has any buyers.

>write pure propaganda and call it "journalism"
>people stop reading your garbage
>get laid off
>people tell you to learn an actual useful skill
>be mad
I'm fine with it

Fuck off marketnigger. Your profession is the reason why privacy is dying and everyone's data is at risk.

>Or should I just focus on what I'm already good at - bringing traffic and qualified leads to websites?
You could bring home 6 figures working at a decent sized car dealership outside a major midwestern city. But I know that's not exactly "glamorous".

>I have been telling people to learn programming for nearly a decade. Am I going to hell?
Yes, you should now be telling them to become data scientists

I have a feelIng these journalists thought their jobs were secure because "there's always news to write about".
What they didn't realize by copypasting other articles and writing opinion pieces no one cares about is that they weren't adding value to their businesses and that's where fat gets trimmed.
There's a reason why investigative journalists aren't facing these kinds of layoffs. There's value in actually researching stories.

So let me get this straight: he told laid-off blue collar works to suck it up and learn to code when they got laid off, but then he got laid off and when he was told to suck it up and learn to code he protested?

Can anyone point to one of his posts or articles where he tells laid-off blue collar workers to learn to code?

>punished
>venom
absolute cringe

>What they didn't realize by copypasting other articles and writing opinion pieces no one cares about is that they weren't adding value to their businesses and that's where fat gets trimmed.
>There's a reason why investigative journalists aren't facing these kinds of layoffs. There's value in actually researching stories.
Nah, dude, there's way more to this story that is going unreported. Journalism is just like any other job, it's a trade just as much as any other. It just hasn't been treated like one. Like some kid out of j-school doesn't just walk into a newsroom and be made an "investigative journalist" on day one just like some dude doesn't just walk out of the police academy and made detective on day one. Even using more of the trade analogy, when the noob construction worker shows up to the job site they're not thrown into the driving the crane they just grab nails and hump 2x4. Don't get me wrong, many of these people are absolutely fucking retarded and fully believe they're front line commies leading the revolution but today went a bit deeper than that. The entire opinion department of HuffPost got fired. That's not just "trimming the fat" of the underperforming employees or whatever. That's whatever dark money interest/"silent investors" kicked in the front door today and told them enough is enough, pack up your shit, and get the fuck out.

Coders are next

Attached: 1534968576591.jpg (900x789, 235K)

>That's not just "trimming the fat" of the underperforming employees or whatever.
Yes, it was. No one gave a shit about their Opinion pieces.

Nah. There will be blackouts and satellites won't work for some time, maybe a week.

>Yes, it was. No one gave a shit about their Opinion pieces.
I mean, yeah, that would have been fine if it weren't actively driving people away. I'm saying somebody went in there today and canned them because it was ruining the business, not that no one cared. It was bigger than, "no one is reading it." It was more, "you're fucking all of us."

>I mean, yeah, that would have been fine if it weren't actively driving people away.
If they aren't generating worth, they are dead fat.

Well you're not wrong but that's not true if they're generating small worth but pushing the desired agenda. There's a huge difference between "they make me a couple bucks but I like having them around and they do what I say" to "holy shit they're fucking destroying everything"

I used "worth" because it doesn't have to be directly financial.

>being this assblasted
>being this unemployed

Attached: 1548395914450.png (610x588, 192K)

well journos keep on blaming white cis het males taking that easy "coding" career and pushing everyone out.
Time they proved that "coding" is for everyone and not IQ>75 people.

>The journalists started it
bad reason
>The journalists DESERVE it
Good reason

This isn't being riled up, this is schadenfreude, gloating, this is a toaste to their failure

If he's laid off and has no income then he is probably having trouble meeting his basic needs, which means he stops caring about other people and at worst is jealous of them. He would be perfectly supportive of programming if he knew how to do it, but he doesn't, so he gets mad that he can't earn money with whatever worthless skill set he has. And when someone tells him his skill set is worthless, he'll get irrationally defensive because it's all he has, even though it's objective that it's worthless if he can't make money with it.

Attached: maslow-5.jpg (900x670, 103K)

I don't get it.
Why 'learn to code'? Are they being faced with their own advice?

You're dumb as rocks.
>everyone should be a programerrr! lol!
No, that's just the only thing you're relatively good at. Stop projecting it unto others.
People have tastes and preferences. It's a tragedy people have been laid-off.

Your entire job is pure Judaism. Fuck off. People would buy products without marketing

I don't think it's so simple to view layoffs as tragic. Sure, there's a temporary reduction in societal output from increased unemployment. But the fact that they got laid off was because they didn't provide value. These people will get new jobs at some point, somewhere. There they will provide more value to society than their previous job.

Maybe they can sort themselves to fix the gender gap in certain fields. I'm sure they would be proud to do that.

The ability to program enhances pretty much any other skill. Computers amplify what you can do, and if you can't program you're limited to what other programmers have already done for you. If you can program you can make what you do more efficient.

>value
How do you measure that? Someone somewhere isn't getting his morning boost reading buzfeed, for example. They paid taxes just fine.

Marketing is a hostile business. It has no inherent value, like defense/military. Its just an arms race.
If there was no marketing we wouldn't be worse off.
But it's unrealistic to expect it.

I can't program facebook into showing everyone twice as many ads, for instance. What's more is you can sue if the project you paid for sucks.

That's nonsense user. Programming doesn't even have a tie in to being good at logic. I personally know people in math grad programs who failed out of cs into math. I know logicians who completely dread programming. I personally can't program worth a damn

Without marketing, technology would be stale and have no incentive for improvement. People would be running outdated hardware and software that barely works (companies won't have money or incentive for improvements).
WIthout marketing, computers would still be a niche subject. We can only thank the majority of the population's cough-ups for the current advanced state of technology.

>gloating
>now equals getting riled up

the absolute state of unemployed presstitutes

Good. Modern technology is worthless

kindly fuck off, salesperson.

Jow Forums is literally *the* domain of schadenfreude and angst. That's why it's full of shills and marketing wars, most people here are exile but young - whatever energy they have left they spend on the web.

Yes. Being employed.

OK put all your computers/phones in the closet and try running an arduino as your daily driver.
Impossible huh? Not even an operating system for it huh?
"Thanks mister marketer"

Marketing isn't important. If a product is good it will spread through word of mouth with zero marketing. Marketing is just the malpractice of trying to get people to waste their resources on things they don't need for your own gain.

>I have been telling people to learn programming for nearly a decade. Am I going to hell?
Yes, for ruining the job market by increasing supply
Fuck off

Buzzfeed decided that their articles were fine as is without these employees. They're decided superfluous by the editors, who decides what to publish. That's how we know they weren't that valuable. They were the first to go.
To argue otherwise would be to argue that buzzfeed was the absolute best fit for these people. It's quite insulting to just about every profession because of how unlikely that is.
Alternatively you could have some good insight into how Buzzfeed is aiming to reduce the value for customers in some backhanded way. I don't read their content so it's difficult to tell.
>how do you measure
>taxes
Taxes isn't really a good measure. Any job will have you pay taxes. Any income will have you spend that income.
Value is intrinsic to the work being done. Basic research has tremendous value. It's multiplicative with society in the best possible way because it's goal agnostic. It only provides the ability to do. Service industry tend to have closer to additive value. It doesn't have long term effects. It's obviously a mix in reality. Good service can make someone happy which increases their ability to perform. But it's almost exclusively additive.
I would place tabloid news and most entertainment there.
Because (in my view) their job doesn't carry a strong multiplicative component it's even likely that they can find better jobs. Go make a product. Contribute to a startup by providing them good documentation/PR materials. There's certainly good room for skilled writers.

>without marketing technology would stale
Technology which needs to be sold to people perhaps. If you serve a need the need will be there to be served.
Manufactured demand isn't real demand.

cringetopia kys

That statement has been proven wrong for a century and several decades, read a fucking book.
I'm assuming we're on about the american population. Most people are not technologically versed yet have more than adequate financial status. If you don't tell them what to buy, they'll stick to what they have or go for chinkshit every time. Chinkshit that breaks every year. Or a powerful computer every 5-7 years. That's how companies go out of business.
I still fail to see exactly how you measure value. Multiplicative/additive sounds interesting but I still don't see how no job > job.
You're niche. You're the 1% that knows what they want and, to an extent, has a predisposition for denial. I know I'd be out of a job if all we had were 8 bit 50mhz CPUs.

>marketer can't even sell us on marketing
hahahaha you can't make this shit up

I'm not the original marketer in the thread, I just don't agree with you.

>marketing created connected devices
You do realize that having information on demand was a need. Some of us are old enough to remember when going to the library was your primary source of information.
This is obviously a much better situation. It didn't need to be marketed.
youtu.be/vD0gVRI_kEQ
They miss the point that adverts aren't the source journalists should look at if they want accurate information but it's clear. You're superfluous.
Get a small shop.

Technology is stale with the shitty marketing that makes sales instead of actual good products. It's also stale because of monopolies.

>no job > job
That's in the beginning of the post. The editors are the arbiters of what gets published. They've decided internally (through means opaque to us) that those laid off were of least value. Buzzfeed decided that they didn't need all their workforce. Buzzfeed deemed it optimal to be without them.
The causes are entirely separate. I don't know why Buzzfeed is laying off but they know better than us what they need.
Now these competent people can go to other workplaces. Where they provide value. And as I said I consider the entertainment industry mostly additive. If we just get a couple of them to better jobs in this regard we've won.
If they can't get jobs they create a political influence to better the governmental system. Any of the countless potential solutions there may be to unemployment. Their galvanization leads to more solutions being tested hopefully.
Worst case the government is corrupt and doesn't serve the population. Which should result on some form of anti-goverment action. Which in itself is a progress.
Assuming you hold democratic values.