>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>All AMD chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1060, RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>RTX 2060 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match; consider 1070/Ti or Vega56 ONLY if on sale
1440p
>RTX 2070; consider 1070/Ti or Vega 56 ONLY if on sale
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is the standard choice
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

prev

Attached: download (14).jpg (193x262, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCGJaDZC7PChgd-XMwcbZkiw/videos
linustechtips.com/main/topic/986897-psu-tier-list-30/
pcpartpicker.com/list/WmxpYT
pcpartpicker.com/list/z2jdTB
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

With ryzen, will a B450 still allow me to upgrade to Zen 2? Or do I need an X470?

Depends on the board.
The ultra low end ones with minimal phases and no VRM heatsinks will likely struggle with 105W 8+ core chips, though they will still "work".

amd's minimum spec for am4 is 128 watts available to the socket

Are wireless mice still a meme?

so a good b450 like an MSI mortar titanium would be fine, or?

Yes that would be completely fine, their VRM setup would even handle a 16 core without throttling.

does it matter that the mortar titanium is a micro ATX? I'm a mobo brainlet

No. There are more shit microATX board than full ATX, but that is not one of them.

Hello /pcbg/, I recently bought the Nixeus EDG27, and upon assembling it, I noticed that the bottom bezel is slightly protruding, but when i press down on it, it goes back down flush again, this this a defect, or do monitors do this? thanks

Attached: IMG_1137.jpg (4032x3024, 2.09M)

Less so due to having specific mousepads, but still not mainstream.
>youtube.com/channel/UCGJaDZC7PChgd-XMwcbZkiw/videos

I mostly use a laptop with thunderbolt connection, so I bought a tb3 dock and connected my peripherals to that.

Now I am thinking about building a pc to play some games on but I would like to use the same dock to connect to that pc. Basically I want to have a single tb3 cable leaving this pc. How would I go about this? Is this a feature that can be achieved with a pci card or would I need a motherboard that supports tb3?

Thanks in advance.

chink'd

That's what you get for not buying the XB271HU.

ive actually heard good things quality control wise by nixeus, thats a shame its broken
gonna buy i different monitor i guess, what a shame

Last time I checked, Thurnderbolt is mostly a Intel+Apple technology, so you'll most likely need an Intel board. Additionally, you can get Thunderbolt through USB-C. So as long as you play a hefty premium for the right board, you should be able to have Thunderbolt built-in your motherboard.

XB271HU is awesome. That Nixeus one has fuckhuge bezels.

Attached: bv.jpg (1816x494, 199K)

heard it has some bad QC issues, but apparently so did mine so fuck it guess ill go all in

RX580:
I could get the Nitro+ special edition for around AUD$380, or a MSI Armor Mk2 for AUD$350
Is Nitro that much better? Is it true the special edition has blue lights you cant turn off? Is power draw the same between them?

They all have issues, this one has the least of the bunch. Asus is the worst by far. The bezels and the panel design ensure the Acer one is the least problematic. Most people just whine about the gaymur red/black stand but I swapped mine out for an old Dell stand that takes up less space anyway.

Just buy the Nitro, is $30 that much to you, ya fucking roo?

Did they release the new BLACKED Noctua fans yet this year at ces? Or are the dirty poo colored fans still the only reliable choice?

>Those Aussie prices
Yikes. I'd almost feel better by being an Europoor. Almost. Anyway, pick the Nitro+ not a fucking Armor. Armor are the cheap ones from MSI, with the Nitro+ you're getting a quality cooler.

is there much power draw difference between rx580 and vega 56?

I wouldn't worry about that first unless you're the kind of cheapsake that only buys the lowest wattage PSU you can get away with. The 580 does roughly 1080p/60FPS, the Vega 56 does roughly 1440p/60FPS. That's the priority there.

Built this poorfag desktop last year. Got some extra money and want to do a gpu upgrade.
What is the best card that my CPU and PSU can handle?

Attached: build.jpg (341x236, 30K)

its fine you retards, the bezel doesnt need to be flush with the screen

at least they come with two games i wanted to get anyway, valued at AUD$175

Are those Haitian dollar? Dunno, I'd aim for a 570 or something.

Brazilian reais. It is about 795 USD. Can you feel my pain?
I can buy a 580 8GB for the same price as the 570 (i don`t know exactly why).

fuckhuge bezels look bad anyway

Replacing a failing 560ti in a parent's old pc, we're thinking of turning it into a network storage backup box so it won't be doing much intensive. What's the cheapest/quietest option I could get for a video card?

Attached: 14-130-604-10[1].jpg (640x480, 30K)

Oh, then if it's not a garbage blower go for the 580. I wouldn't care about bottleneck, only getting the best for my money and if they're the same price go for it. Still depends of the model though.

Forgot to say that they'll still be doing light work on it, mostly sketchup/office stuff.

My 570 goes obnoxiously hot when I set the power limit to something like +20% and +50% nearly kills the fucking card. The cooling solution is not the best but since the 12v rail drops some under load upon these conditions, would replacing the PSU help towards better temperatures?

I was told that voltage drop under full load is a normal thing by some, that that voltage drop was horrible and I should get a new (at 50% it drops to 11.6v), I'm just not sure. Of course I could buy an aftermarket cooler too but maybe that won't solve my problem, I don't know exactly.

Also in case I have to invest in a better PSU, are Tier 2 PSUs that bad? I ain't thrilled about the idea of spending almost the same for a PSU than for my GPU, if you know what I mean.

You're a really helpful person user thanks.

If you buy a GPU and it has coil whine, is there much you can do to fix/reduce it?

Depends what induces the coil whine. If it's ultra high framerates, just use a limiter. If it just whines all the time, then nope.

RMA the card then, unless you're confident it's due to the PSU because you skimped on it while even though EVERY FUCKING ONE WOULD HAVE TOLD YOU NOT TO.

Thanks, I'll look into those

what use does the pciex4 slot serve?

The PSU is not that great, that I'm sure of. Didn't skimp on it, more like I got scammed because there were a bunch of decent ones for the same price and I trusted a friend over this which was a terrible idea. Not like anyone told me to grab anything better but then again I decided to put it all on someone else's hands back then, so that's my fault.

I bought this boy to replace my few year old r9 390x. Got it used with 24 months warranty for €300. How bad did I do?

Attached: 41aWflIfb0L._SX425_.jpg (425x424, 17K)

Just got a new PC for work and I have to ask: Why do we bother with anything other than mini displayport on graphics cards? Just one row of 3 to 6 (or even 8 really) ,ports and you can have the entire second slot as a vent. Probably the most convenient thing I've seen on a GPU in the last few years.
And if your monitor doesn't have a mDP port it's electronically compatible with obviously Displayport and HDMI so you can get a cable straight from mDP to HDMI.
Why do manufactureres bother with this mishmash of 3 or more different ports? Not like many people have 3 or 4 totally different monitors.
It's pic related in a Dell Precision tower because local builders want even more for money for the warranty and build and we had to order a server anyway.

Attached: wx9100.jpg (1500x1500, 219K)

Sell it and get a 570

Are the Zen 2's a meme, or are the reported benchmarks real? I'm saving up so I can build in the summer

I think I made a mistake in buying the x470 aorus gaming 5 wifi. Shit cost me $180 and apparently won't let you OC that much because they limit how much extra voltage you can supply to the cpu. I'm looking at the ASRock x470 Master SLI/AC Promontory. $50 cheaper and it seems to be better overall for OCing while still having built in wifi and BT. Was planning on returning the aorus and going with the ASRock

They demonstrated a live comparison between a 9900k and a mid level Ryzen 3000 early sample and the Ryzen won, (both CPUs 8c/16t) while on air and using about half the power.
So if you're still saving up anyway Ryzen 3000 will probably be worth waiting.

The best overclocking board is the Asus Crosshair Hero iirc so you might want to give that a try. Asrock is nice too though.

How shit would the Toshiba P300 3TB 7200RPM be just to hold games and films? It's only £65. All others on amazon have a slower speed and they're more expensive. I'm not looking for it to last more than 5 years.

>

Attached: 81bybI04YjL._SL1500_.jpg (1000x1500, 110K)

I'm not that set on OC super hard but I would like the option too. Thanks crosshair is also pretty expensive :(

Corsair CX650 or be Quiet Pure power 11?

Is the i3-8100 going to be good enough for 1080p gaming, mostly japanese releases? I would go with ryzen but it's a mini-itx build and ryzen itx boards are just way too expensive.

linustechtips.com/main/topic/986897-psu-tier-list-30/
I don't think anyone would ever recommend buying an i3 for anything but office builds.

That tells me jackshit, they're in the same tier.

What's wrong with the 8th gen i3? Games aren't going to be utilizing 6 cores any time soon and it's a true quad core. I'm going to be pairing it with the 2050 ti or 1160, whichever comes out first and is closest to 300CAD.

what does the language have to do with the performance of a game?
If you are that desperate there are good sales on Kably Lake mITX boards, witch a decent CPU that's good enough for today still. At least if you're not talking about using the iGPU. In that case forget it and just buy a used Optiplex or something like that.

>they're in the same tier.
So what does that suggest to you?
4 threads, locked speed with no turbo boost so shit IPC, it's just bad mate.
> Games aren't going to be utilizing 6 cores any time soon
Uh yeah, they do. Plenty of 2018 games even choking on 6 threads.

>So what does that suggest to you?
Not much other than "pick whatever". Eh, I guess I'll grab the cheaper one.

>grab the cheaper one.
Bingo.

Which monitor should I pick up? I want to stay at 1080p, but something bigger than 23'.
Also hate washed-out colors. Budget is whatever under 500-600$

>good sales on Kably Lake mITX boards,
Where are you finding these sales? The cheapest decent board I could find was on the b360 chipset.

German retailers/online stores

that does me zero good in canada. after importing and shipping do you think it's going to be worth it? absolutely not.

>RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>now that nvidia supports freesync
Cringe.

what's a decent 1440p gaming monitor under 5006-600 dollars? pls help

No but you asked me where I am finding them, no need for that attitude, young man.
Why do you even want mITX?

I need some help with cooling my case (pic related). I have a 800rpm 200mm intake fan in the front and a 120mm 1000rpm exhaust fan at the back. The cpu is cooled by 612 cooler and the gpu is with its stock cooler. I'm thinking of installing a 120mm exhaust fan on the top and another 200mm low rpm fan on the side, but I have no idea if this is a good idea. The only part that gets really hot is the GPU under full load (90C).

Attached: case.jpg (1017x689, 135K)

sorry, I'm just a bit uppity cause that other guy was being a prick but I shouldn't redirect that at you. The build isn't actually for me, it's for someone else who is selling their consoles are switching to pc. they want as portable a pc as possible while still having upgrade ability not offered by a laptop. it's being built around the node 202 case since that can be brought as a carry on to an airplane and he just really wants that case specifically.

>It may works, it may works partly, it may not works
Indeed

>telling you why and how an i3 isn't good enough
>being a prick
Okay.

>listing off the specs
>empty statements
That's not helping.

What would help?
You seem like you just want validation for something you have already decided on.

Okay here's what I would do: That case is actually pretty roomy so you can get some good hardware in there, no need for an APU build. The i3 is better than a Ryzen 3 for sure but you really already need more than 4 cores or threads today if you want to use your gaming PC smoothly. Also the i3 doesn't have the intel turbo feature afaik and that's gonna be holding you back in games quite a bit.
The 2050ti or 1660 sounds nice but they will probably cost more than the RX570 which you can get today already and it performs about 40% better than the 1050ti so it might be in the ballpark of said 2050ti.
pcpartpicker.com/list/WmxpYT

That said I think the Silverstone Raven series is better than the Node 202 and even though the mainboards are more expensive a Ryzen 2600x build would be better. Also consider putting something like a Cryorig C7 in there since the stock cooler won't be nice to really use.

Is the RadeonVII gonna be worth it? I read that the performance is similar to the 2080

It's the same performance on cherry picked games. It's gonna be worse than 2080 overall.
Also 300w power draw is definitely not worth it.

MX500 M.2 overheats and corrupts even in a roomy ATX build with good airflow, 100% wouldn't put that in an ITX build m8.

I don't think it's going to be great considering AMD picked 2 random ass non-vulkan games to showcase it whalloping the 2080 by 1 fps. Far Cry 5 is almost a year old, they really had to dig back for that one, why not any of the other big games that came out in the Fall? Probably because it got beat by the 2080.

I guess if you want to buy a 2080 that doubles as a space heater in the winter it's a good buy.

werks on my machine at 45° max

I already have a 970 evo and the case ordered. Thanks for the advice, I talked with him about it and he's gonna spend the extra money on ryzen. Do you think it's worth while to wait for the 1660 just to see how it compares at least?

I'm highly sceptical about the 1660. Rumors seem to suggest that it's really not much faster then the 1060. It all comes done to the price then, if they slot in in just below the 2060 it's basically pointless.

>300 euro USED 1070ti msi blower card..
user... Only thing thats right is the warranty, the price sucks

coming back to this I have to concede while my case is tiny with no airflow I have that drive on the front side of the motherboard with a small heatsink (Asus ROG whateverthefuck-i) and that 45° was the absolute max I got when I copied my steam folder back to the drive. Not sure what that says but there you go.
build for reference:
pcpartpicker.com/list/z2jdTB

Should I go for the 2080 or a 1080Ti?

1440p gaming rig btw

Attached: 1487000149447.png (871x871, 138K)

Is the 2600X decent at power consumption at stock speeds, could it be brought down with an undervolt a little bit or is there any alternative to it at a similar price that would perhaps sacrifice just a little bit of performance for a lower TDP?

Aight. It seems it has less power consumption overclocked at the same speeds. I guess a Cryorig H7 should handle a slight overclock.

What is a good GPU to pair with a Sandy Bridge i5-3570(no K) and 8gb's of DDR3 1600mhz ram?
I'm trying to build a web browsing/light gaming system for a friend but I don't want to spend 170€ on an RX 570 4GB. They want to have playable and stable framerates at 1080p.
I'd rather put the money towards getting a solid PSU or a decent budget SSD or even a good monitor, but the GPU is equally as important.

Attached: charls.webm (352x199, 144K)

They make an "E" version of some of their chips which are lower clocked and like 45W or so but you can simply downclock a normal one. Even simpler would be to just buy the 2600, don't you think? 65w instead of 95w TDP.

I want a 24'' 1080p 75hz monitor, recomend me one that's not over 150 USD.

Yeah, I'll do that. I thought the 2600 was much weaker but it doesn't seem that much of a big deal

there is not enough improval to justify the price of the 2080
also, nvidia used the drivers to slow their own graphic cards to make people buy the 2080

if evens I buy that hd
if odds I don't

I've just installed a tempered glass window on my H440 because the acrylic ones are scratch magnets. (Ignore the dirt, everything is still a work in progress)
Do you think it looks good with the glass on the outside like this or do you think I should modify the inside of the side panel so I can make it recessed?

Attached: IMG_0096_2.jpg (2448x3264, 1.24M)

How about stop doing gay shit with your case and upgrade your ancient CPU/RAM/mobo instead?

I'm doing that on Monday.

Good man, that shit has to be a huge bottleneck on your GPU.

Not much when you're playing at 4k.

THIS

Like I said I'm doing it Monday so tell me about the glass.