Why shouldn't I use Brave browser for desktop?

Why shouldn't I use Brave browser for desktop?

Attached: rO7aIdyp_400x400.jpg (400x400, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/2975
github.com/brave
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

chrome reskin

Go ahead an install it. See for yourself why you should or shouldn't use it.

The ui and performance is so disgusting I almost puke.

Botnet.

inb4 Firefox defense force comes in to cry "oy vey Brave users are shills". That being said, if you don't like Brave try IceCat.

Because Brave is an ad company, and ad companies are inherently untrustworthy.

Attached: 1547708897178.jpg (926x773, 169K)

That's a fair point.

That's just a Chrome browser. With slight UI changes (that also don't improve on the existing UI but just there to slow thing down and glitch constantly). And a retarded start page I can't disable. And some magic Internet money I don't want and also can't remove or hide. And built-in ad blocker that I also can't hide or remove. What's the appeal point of this garbage again?

>What's the appeal point of this garbage again?
It isn't Mozilla or Chrome.

It's literally a Chrome skin.

github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/2975
Wait this.

Because a better alternative, Firefox, exists

Hey, Eich, pay me instead of this OP cunt for shilling this piece of trash, I can do a much better job. DM me, peace.

sent;)

it is extremely slow on some sites. I tried it out but its just worse than Firefox

Because it doesn't have it's own rendering engine.

>it isn't Mozilla except it's made by the former Mozilla CEO
>it isn't Chrome except it's literally just Chrome + useless tor tabs + useless ad "blocker" + non-working anti-fingerprinting. So basically just a bloated chromium.

Is trash. Use falkon.

Because you shouldn't be a fag which baits and shills all day on an kongolesian weaving forum.

Attached: 1488632931252.jpg (405x322, 30K)

Its shitty ad blocker doesn't block shit, go to any torrent site and see.

Use brave on mobile and play youtube in the background. 10/10

Brave has it's use cases for normie casual mobile browsing. By non mean is it a privacy browser. It has its uses but the way they market it is deceitful (just like almost any other privacy oriented service)

It's Chromium genius. How can they base a browser off of a proprietary implementation of Chromium?
github.com/brave
Jesus fuck... How many times does it need to be said?
>everyone knows that BAT has already been opt-in
>still shitpost about it anyway and any chance you get
Yeah, and "an ad company" releases open source software with Ungoogled-chromium patches while at the same time not allowing their ads to be turned on by default. Makes a ton of sense.

>That's just a Chrome browser
How can they base a browser off of a proprietary implementation of Chromium?
>And some magic Internet money I don't want and also can't remove or hide.
Yeah and that's why it's off by default or opt-in. How many times does this need to be said until you get it through your thick skulls?
>And built-in ad blocker that I also can't hide or remove
Oh fucking fuck off. You haven't even used this browser. I'm sure now.
>What's the appeal point
That it includes Ungoogled-chromium patches, is updated far faster than it and Inox or Iridium, is open source, has full extension support, etc. What other choices are there when other Chromium forks are so far behind in updates?

>How can they base a browser off of a proprietary implementation of Chromium?

That's why you turn it off and use all extensions you prefer.

What do they "market"? It's not like they include paid services with the browser.
>just like almost any other privacy oriented service
We should just use any closed source garbage and not bother then, right?

Yeah, work those Eich bucks, baby.

>shilling an open source browser with Ungoogled-chromium patches
I don't think that's how it works.

>u shill bro
Quality discussion.

You're such a slut for those Eich bucks, I love it.

You really think that's gonna stay a completely optional opt-in thing when people opting in is how they make money?

Look at their website they make it look like using brave is the same as having a swiss account in the 70's

Nop certainly not, were foos is weak I think is marketing and branding (brave is a good step in that direction), what I had in mind was current aggressive guerilla marketing, sponsorship by the likes of nord. Clueless youtubers that promise you to "re-claim your data" " be truly anonymous" etc etc. Nobody ever cared to mention how the protocol works and how it wasn't design for this use case.

I actively discourage using BAT and everything objectionable in Brave. But yeah, I'm "shilling" an open source project. You're great.
I don't know. I can't read their developer's minds.
>Nop certainly not, were foos is weak I think is marketing and branding (brave is a good step in that direction), what I had in mind was current aggressive guerilla marketing, sponsorship by the likes of nord. Clueless youtubers that promise you to "re-claim your data" " be truly anonymous" etc etc. Nobody ever cared to mention how the protocol works and how it wasn't design for this use case.
Not sure what this rant is all about.

Why should anyone use this garbage? It's a stuttering, sluggish mess.

>Why should anyone use this garbage
>That it includes Ungoogled-chromium patches, is updated far faster than it and Inox or Iridium, is open source, has full extension support, etc. What other choices are there when other Chromium forks are so far behind in updates?
>It's a stuttering, sluggish mess.
Feel free to post some comparisons if you so insist.

Might as well use chromium with uBO at that point, 0 difference.

That's on you, I don't get paid to do that.

Brave is a step in the right way, it is by no mean perfect, it's a browser that has potential to stick it to the likes of chrome.

I don't like how they try to force that they are THE privacy browser (the only alternative to dying treacherous Firefox narrative) on Jow Forumsusing deceitful claims and in my opinion are targeting the wrong users.

Nord was just an example to make a point, I lost it in the process I guess.

>no difference between Chromium and a Chromium based browser with Ungoogled-chromium patches

>I don't like how they try to force that they are THE privacy browser
Uhh, Inox, Iridium and Ungoogled-chromium all came before it. Not sure on what basis they could be or are claiming this. Hell, they're using Ungoogled-chromium patches.
>on Jow Forumsusing deceitful claims
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. It's not like it would be easy to confirm who's behind which posts and somehow prove it was someone associated with Brave. Not sure why it would even matter.
>and in my opinion are targeting the wrong users.
How is Jow Forums of all places a wrong demographic even if that assumption was true?

You should use it to make that autist from last night who had misinformation in half his posts mad.

the placebo is real

So, are brave niggers being paid or are they just riding Eich's dick because he was against fag marriage or something?
I cannot understand the non-stop advertising

>I actively discourage using BAT and everything objectionable in Brave. But yeah, I'm "shilling" an open source project. You're great

Seems like it. Saw it on Jow Forums. They shill this garbage so hard.

Who would voluntarily advertise on an anonymous image board, for free? Even troll's perspective looks ridiculous. You're right tho that's speculation.

Yeah OK I don't have enough data on Jow Forums to make such claim, I guess I forgot all the lurkers, but look RMS is on top on the front page, a majority of users a foss-fag that won't care at all for brave. Then there is the windows crowd that cares for amd vs nvidya (sry Intel), mostly chrome users, don't care about privacy at all. Then there's whats left of Mac fags who might be interested.

Wait a minute am I getting baited... Damn this board made me paranoid.
TL;DR brave fag take your chance on Jow Forums use the gay marriage narrative, you'll do better there.

I will explain my position as someone who gets called a Brave shill just for asking questions when people bring up some of its issues and trying to reconcile any conflicting information I get.
I'm using Brave right now. I set it up already, so at this point since I sunk time in I'm trying to confirm that the fingerprinting issue is as bad as posters on here say. It also is a really nice feeling browser. It definitely does leak info, and I want to know how that compares to other browsers and how much that actually allows you to be tracked, so I have a lot of questions but some people or a person on here against Brave seem to freak the fuck out the second you try to get more information out of them. I am just confirming everything myself at this point.
I am a bit wary of BAT but if it proves to be a good bridge between users and content creators I'm for it. I don't have a problem with them making money off of it, Google already makes money off of users and content creators. I'm not going to enable it personally for a long time until I know for sure.
I am considering submitting some patches to Brave to fix it leaking any information because it's nice to use, and I'd like to keep using it. It would also be nice for the less technically inclined. However, for now, if it does allow Google to track me, I will stop using it. You don't have to tell me how likely it is that this is the case, I know it, I just want to figure out for myself how the tracking works.

Go back there and never return.
>"shilling" an open source project
This kind of retardation only comes from Jow Forums so stay there.

>Wait a minute am I getting baited... Damn this board made me paranoid.
>TL;DR brave fag take your chance on Jow Forums use the gay marriage narrative, you'll do better there.
???

3/10

oh hey it supports all chrome extensions now?
haven't used it in a awhile, just fired it up and see this
been using Iridium

Attached: brave.jpg (545x337, 65K)

Yeah it does. I'm using cvim now. Kind of hesitant to leave it behind because I like cvim better than vim-vixen and I don't want to switch to an outdated browser.

Brave lead dev was fired from Mozilla cause he allegedly donated to a non-pro gay marriage charity, that the kind of thing that might convive Jow Forums. It was a joke, same as the bait thing.

its based on botnet chromium, if you dont care about privacy then go for it

Attached: 527215708992314250.jpg (656x700, 82K)

>Ungoogled-chromium patches
like that means anything. you are still tracked by google and you dont get unique security patches

>>How can they base a browser off of a proprietary implementation of Chromium?
chromium is open source, just fork it

apparently has good tor support now

>chromium based
>tor support

Attached: 0447019986796910.gif (500x361, 473K)

you shouldnt use it for mobiles either

Here is a raw comparison of the fingerprint for the Tor browser bundle and a Tor tab in Brave with scripts turned off and all fingerprinting disabled.
As you can see, Brave does leak a lot of information. However, I was surprised to see that the Tor browser bundle leaks my real window size, which can potentially be more identifying than the full screen resolution (for instance, it is in my case since I use a tiling WM).
There was a poster claiming that screen resolution was the one thing that was always leaked by Chromium based browsers and that Tor plus Firefox would never leak it. If you're here, poster, if there's some setting I should be using or if this is abnormal, please let us know and I will take a new comparison. I have versioned the comparison in case I made any mistakes so that it can be easily updated.
However please note that screen resolution is the ONLY thing where Tor does POTENTIALLY worse. Its outperformance in every other category makes it much, MUCH more unidentifiable than Brave in the majority of cases, especially since you will look like every other Tor browser bundle user.
How this actually impacts Brave practically is yet to be seen. Other fingerprinting services claim that Brave cannot be tracked by ad companies. By what mechanism they determine this, and how Brave actually avoids detection, I do not know yet. All I have is rhetoric from both sides.
For now - please don't use Brave, even in Tor mode with the best settings. Use Tor in a public place you don't go regularly without any GPS devices on you and you can't be identified.

Attached: brave vs tor.png (4336x1931, 395K)

tor always leaks window size, thats why you get a warning when you maximize it

Attached: Clipboard01.jpg (1205x87, 18K)

Brave for Phone
Firefox for Desktop

Just do it.

My WM resizes it automatically and I don't get a warning. Good to know. I will take a new screenshot.

Updated. I started Tor in floating mode and maximized it to take this screenshot. With this, Tor absolutely outperforms Brave in every category. All that remains is to find out exactly what kind of protection Brave is supposed to give you, if it's actually doing it, and what can be done to improve it.

Attached: brave vs tor.png (4336x1931, 396K)

What's Jow Forums opinion on srware?
It's pretty comfy for me.

The actual worst. Chromium source code + ads and snake oil. Uninstall immediately and get ungoogled-chromium. There's a reason it never gets mentioned and the reason is it's horrible kraut trash

>srware
>spware
>spyware

This

read the post you are replying to again user

Alright im convinced
Because i like chromes ui i'll get ungoogled chrome

>srware
>spyware

This an unsettling feeling

>Brave for Phone
Well, Fennec F-Droid and IceCat Mobile are better choices because they offer full extension support.

Obligatory pasta:

Fingerprint protection doesn't work at all. Your Canvas, screen size, plugins (as of Chromium), time zone, WebGL fingerprint (as of Chromium), OS/Platform are revealed and the user agent isn't spoofed.

Tor tabs lack any additional anti-fingerprint methods, making them completely useless as your privacy is trivial to breach. You can be effortlessly uniquely identified and tracked.

The Brave adblocker is trash compared to uBlock Origin. The performance is difference is massive if you enable any additional block lists in Brave's blocker. Which you have to because Brave's adblocker is not only inefficient, but also lacks a ton of filters by default and a lot of ads will still be displayed. uBlock Origin blocks domains instead of just hiding ads, plus it has a script blocker and an element picker.

(((PIA))) partnership.
Has (had?) proprietary addons.
Google is the default search engine.

Chromium build has a terrible UI (especially settings UI) and is missing gestures like long press on new tab to choose to open a private/tor tab.

Attached: brave.png (1900x1322, 91K)