It's time to sell your vintage hardware to hipsters, user

The market for 80s and early 90s computer hardware is peaking, while the market for 2000s era is in the donut hole of irrelevance.

I sold a Commodore 1702 monitor to a tech hipster for $200 last month. Wasn't doing me any good because the early 2000s 14" Toshiba CRT I got for $5 has both composite, s-video, and component compared to just the composite and s-video of the 1702. Why would I hang on to the 1702 for that price? For some intangible sense of whatever? Fuck off. I'm going to use that $200 to buy the best Plasma TV I can find while they are super cheap and not all thrown in the dump yet. And I'll probably have $150 left over.

Attached: hqdefault[1].jpg (480x360, 38K)

congrats user you learned it’s all a big scam to make eBay money and recycle old computer parts.

fuck hipsters, im keeping all my old hardware

Whatever makes you or them happy, dude.

If I ever felt like bothering with the soul-sucking experience that is selling shit on eBay I'd just keep picking it up for nothing at the recycler and undercutting the shit out of you while still making a profit myself and getting good stuff to a good home.

But really, this

NO!

Attached: oldpcs.jpg (2016x1512, 590K)

but you won't cause you're a pussy faggot

found the hipster
want to buy a 122 key model f? only $900

I can only be a hipster if I bought it after the fact. I did get the Apple IIc later...but that IBM PS/1 and PS/2E are originally mine though odd jobs in high school in the 90s. Same for the "upgraded" PS/1 which was a 386.

Attached: IMG_6615.jpg (2016x1512, 560K)

Is lgr a hipster? His knowledge and interest in old computer hardware seems genuine

What's there to be afraid of? It's just a waste of free time finding, staging, describing, listing, sitting on, packaging and shipping shit for a day's wages at an average job.

The two things don't exclude one another.

Then I guess I dont see why hipster is implied to be a bad thing?

the whole argument against hipsters is that they're just brainless dipshits who buy/get into things for subculture cred rather than genuine interest or passion but still think they're different from normaltards

so yeah they kind of do

The implication is hipsters have a gay love affair with the idea of owning certain kinds of technology to point of paying way more than it is worth on a functional basis compared to technology you can buy for the same money.

Nah, hipsters are usually pretty informed about the subjects they like. If they weren't how would they be able to drone on and on about it or condescendingly correct people?

Why? I have plenty of hardware from my past or obtained trough better sources (like from abandoned buildings in the arctic).

Attached: modelm.jpg (1632x1224, 470K)

anything is worth as much as you're willing to pay for it, which is respectable if you have a real genuine interest in that thing and aren't buying it for superficial reasons.

>gray label model m
pfffft

I sold a SuperCPU for over a thousand bucks

It makes your C64 run at a blistering 20mhz

yer point? (obtained from building to the left)

Attached: abandonedcomm1.jpg (1200x800, 283K)

But retro games become too fast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So basically most nerds are hipsters? Why the fuck are you even trying to pretend you're better than this when you're posting here?
Not really, being able to talk a lot doesn't mean there's actually substance, intelligence or genuine passion in what they're saying, go watch TV some time, or just look at this shit show of a thread.

Yeah but think of all the work you can get done in GEOS

>If they weren't how would they be able to drone on and on about it or condescendingly correct people?
In my experience they just replace facts with their own headcanon. We had a thread about dialup computer bulletin boards recently and they literally thought that was the Internet in the 80s.

Slaps you in the face with PINE.

Attached: pine-mainscreen.png (593x376, 11K)

>The market for 80s and early 90s computer hardware is peaking, while the market for 2000s era is in the donut hole of irrelevance.
What if I like gaymen on actual hardware and just the general aesthetics of retrocomputers?

No harm in enjoying the finer things of prior ages if you have the space and the means to indulge it.

Old hardware will become worth a fuck ton as more is recycled, especially if you can get it working with period software or even better a dual boot setup with old and lightweight new OS’s.

Nice try Chang.

Still in use too (now with English stickers)

Attached: IMG_7706.jpg (2016x1512, 1016K)

I found a veritable treasure trove of old mainboards at a local recycler for essentially scrap value since they're pcchips with fake cache or QDI OEM'd boards nobody wants thanks to zero jumper documentation online.
I've been setting those up to spec and reselling them in my spare time. Even the pcchips boards because fuck it, people still want them anyway. Also if people I've sold to want to change their installed hardware later and need to reconfigure the jumpers I offer to inform them on which ones to move for a small fee. I've gotten more requests for this than I would have expected too. Like on socket 3 boards there have been several asks for jumper configs to go from 30pin simm to 72pin fastpage or from dx-33 or dx2-66 to dx4-100.
I also perform surgery on RTC chips like the Dallas/Odin variety.
I unironically use Alpine with Screen whenever I'm logged in through SSH.

Attached: gingerboard.jpg (800x717, 127K)

Same, Alpine's great.

Fuck these things.

Attached: DS1079.jpg (640x462, 95K)

In which country did you find this? It’s interesting to me because I’m Danish.

huh..... neat.

>I'm going to use that $200 to buy the best Plasma TV

What is this, 2004? And you call other people hipsters...