I'm leaving the trades in September to attend university for a degree in Computer Science - Smart Systems...

I'm leaving the trades in September to attend university for a degree in Computer Science - Smart Systems. What should I expects? What should I learn now in order to have the best preparation for this program?

Attached: 1529138255084.jpg (750x738, 52K)

learn computers

Learn to program. Learn networking, brush up on your math and prepare to be disappointed.

What the fuck is "Smart Systems?"

What do you want to do in the world of IT/programming? And how much do you know today?
These are very important questions because going the collage route may be not what you need. Certs and/or "experience" which can be many thing can get your foot in the door way WAY faster and cheaper.
Also, the fuck is " Smart Systems"?

That's almost as bad as
>Hi I'm a freshly graduated doctor who spend 200k on my education and now want to go to Japan to teach English/be a dancing monkey for minimum wage because it's JAPAN yo

why would I be disappointed?
>The smart systems major gives an overview of the growing body of algorithmic and mathematical techniques that have proven practical in allowing computer systems to deal with the complexities and uncertainties of both human beings and the real world.
The program focuses more on AI development and machine learning as opposed to software development

Sounds like you might learn some good fundamentals you can use with whatever language you prefer.

Is no one going to mention the fucking op pic?

>my brother in law is an electrician

its a decade old bait picture used occasionally
most likely inductive coupled voltage on the screws, nothing dangerous

>Inductively coupled
>not getting pulled down with the 1Mohm load on the meter
sure thing

I'd like to get into project management/development for Oil & Gas companies. I currently work as an E&I tech contractor for a coal company doing instrumentation maintenance at their water treatment plant. I really want to get on the upstream side of instrumentation and automation. As for knowledge my current background is in electrical and I know very basic python and C++

yes, that's exactly why those meters have a separate load you can put in line to the measuring probes, on the push of a button

you know, you can measure ~150V on a dead hot if it goes some distance next to another hot
Thats why one should not use a standard 10mOhm Multimeter on Line work

>What should I expects?
a carreer that will give a job where an engineer that knows a lot less than you wil be your boss

As much as I've re-wired my house and other various places, never seen that issue. In the OP picture I would assume the box isn't grounded anyways.

Still, I just throw the breakers when doing anything. Not sure how professional electricians change fixtures and shit with live circuits.

That's my current position. My boss was a professional photographer for 15 years and a country and western store manager for 10. He currently knows how terminate 18awg wire and solder connectors and that's about it

>What should I expects?
the same, or worse, pay for longer hours once you finish.

because they have a good understanding of what they are doing and what will fuck their lives up if they screw up. for the most part electricity isn't dangerous if you are careful and know what you are doing.

You also have the whole, you can't shut the power off in the server room, the down time costs more than the person's life is worth their whole working life.

>an engineer knowing less than an electrician
I love the bullshit that wiremonkeys tell each other to feel better about themselves

If you can't develop software then you are useless to everyone. So learn software development while you're at it.

side projects > degree

>t. 'muh ivy league' fag with piss poor side projects that had to work a literal accounting job that considered SQL to be computer programming

I worked on my side projects every night and weekend during my two year accounting stint to get my resume up to speed.

>t. never worked in industry
Engineers, like any other guy fuck up all the time
But their Failures are exponentially more costly and annoying then a wire-monkeys, as Someone else has to fix it and a subjob taking like 3x the time amount
Conclusion: they should control their own shit before passing it on, but they seldom do.

can you tell me something, as I bought a multimeter to test some circuits on a car,
I havent used except twice for that DIY job on the car.
If I use a multimeter to test a 240v system in a house is it dangerous unless you know exactly what you are doing? I mean is it dangerous if I accidentally use the wrong settings for that kind of voltage?

>unless you know exactly what you are doing?
Only plug the leads in On Voltage and Com, never on AMP.
Then dont use OHM/Diode mode on hot circuits
everything else shouldn't kill a meter

trades sound more interesting tbqh
just try to attend all of the lectures and hand in asignments in time to avoid depression and gay shit like that

Attached: 37fb50766dd3604db012e83d8ab5792d4755cfd0_hq.jpg (910x1024, 99K)

Better to know programming before you start your CS degree. When I was in college I would say 2/3 of my classmates couldn't program worth a damn, even in the higher-level classes. I'm not smarter than everyone else, I just had a head start (started at age 8.)

I understand each program is different but what programming languages were used in your program? Is it best to focus on one language or have general knowledge on multiple?

Skip general CS, go to techincal school for the comp field you want to work in.

>that image
how dumb do you have to be to accomplish that

Once you learn one language, it's easier to learn others. So if you want you can look at the curriculum and syllabuses at your intended college and see what languages you'll be using, but it doesn't matter *that* much.

>What should I expects?
depression, anxiety and gender dysphoria

>Computer Science - Smart Systems
i highly doubt you will be remotely prepared for this by september. people in these have been eating shitting and sleeping math since they were 5 years old. plus the day to day grind of being prepared to pass assignments, quizzes, will leave you without enough mental energy to prepare for exams and you'll fail after a year