>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti | If you can't afford to spend 350 dollar on a CPU go with AMD.
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3400CL16 is ideal
>All AMD chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1060, RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>RTX 2060 thanks to 6gb vram only good for 1080p or as a short-term solution; consider 1070/Ti or Vega56 ONLY if on sale
1440p
>RTX 2070; consider 1070/Ti or Vega 56 ONLY if on sale
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is the standard choice but Vega7 launch is soon so better wait
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

prev

Attached: wallpaper-2845031.jpg (1600x900, 177K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/dBPMYT
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YI0RQcymJSY0-LkbjSRGswWpJzVRuK_4zMvphRbh19k/htmlview
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QpBMYT
pcpartpicker.com/list/rmvgcY
pcpartpicker.com/list/4fkhNQ
pcpartpicker.com/list/BVKYCb
youtube.com/watch?v=5DEFdA4--Xw
pcpartpicker.com/list/Y9rjkd
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>now that nvidia supports freesync
Cringe.

I have the old 3.5gb gtx 970. That's a good update for 1080p 144hz? I think I can swing a vega 64, but not sure if that will help.

fuck, i missed that. would have rewritten it to
>GTX 1060, RX 570, RX 580 are good low budget choices for medium settings or undemanding games

With 2 weeks until Vega 7 you'd be a genuine retard buying a gpu right now.

I heard someone who knows their shit say 24" 1080p monitor is better for gaming than a 27" 1440p. Is that true?

Attached: WwG4Is_A.jpg (683x683, 65K)

Can't find rtx 2080 drivers for Win8.1, should I get the Win7 or Win10 ones?

Win7, same with AMD cards.

I actually don't get it, they could literally just grab the Windows 7 drivers and put a thing there that says 7/8.1. They fully work.

she looks like she fucks black guys

It depends for what. Anything beyond 24" is too much screen space for competitive esports like shooters. Ideally you'd want as much of the screen as possible in the center of your field of view so you don't have to constantly look around or even turn your head. Generally 144hz is the minimum for that. For singleplayer stuff a nice 27" 1440p screen is just nicer to look at but your GPU will need to be upgraded much sooner unless you're fine with turning down settings to get an acceptable framerate.

Thanks

>freesync
on like 6 monitors

What would be the recommended setting if I have a setup where I have the fan facing down with the PSU at the bottom of the case anyways? Or would it be more recommended to have the PSU fan facing up?

I'm just wondering if semi-fanless PSU lifespan would degrade much quicker with low cooling.

Attached: fanmode.png (1088x503, 354K)

pcpartpicker.com/list/dBPMYT
R8 ITX build. Not meant to have pretty guts, just to be decent for the price. Not sure if it's worth getting 32gb RAM (by the time things I do need it, DDR5 ram will probably be the standard.) If I just want to toy around in things like Maya casually, is 16gb enough?

Attached: e9fb576541d826416c54e6297cc2164b.1600[1].jpg (500x333, 28K)

Why AMD shills have to constantly lie? Follow your Scottish subhuman leader and kys pls.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YI0RQcymJSY0-LkbjSRGswWpJzVRuK_4zMvphRbh19k/htmlview

GUYS HELP ME PLEASE.

I just build a pc, but it won't turn on. All I get is a light on the motherboard that turns on for less than a second when I flip the psu on. What the fuck do I do?
The fans don't spin, it doesn't post, I keep smacking the power on switch of my case but it doesn't do anything.

Attached: 17j7na.jpg (540x511, 61K)

Probably something is wrong with power, push all connectors a bit.

Is slim ram(low profile?) compatible with common ram?

Start over but this time be an autist about every single step. If it still doesn't work, there's a faulty part or you broke something.

>he's still false flagging
don't give him attention

Why would you buy vega when 2080 is better lmao

Because nvidia might drop the 2080 price depending on benchmarks or lost market share.

Fixed, I took off the cooler and the CPU to check if there were any bent pins (there weren't) then put the CPU and the cooler back (now the thermal paste isn't as smooth :^( )
Really strange that that fixed it.

Attached: IMG_20190126_212947999.jpg (3264x1836, 1.35M)

Nice retarded speculation

is 60-70C too hot for cpu during gaming?

Attached: hot.png (330x431, 22K)

>ram on a1/a2 slot
user...

How are Prism and other asian brand monitors?

I think it depends on a mobo how dual-channel is made.

Bought the Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler, some screws snapped in half during installation, it's now been about a week with multiple emails and calls with no response about replacing their chinkshit quality parts. Need a replacement.

Someone in the last thread recommend the Noctua NH D-15 but I think it's too big to fit in my case (NZXT H500) so I need another suggestion, thanks. On an i7 9700k btw

I double checked, this is how I get dual channel.

Attached: IMG_20190126_215027706.jpg (3264x1836, 1.58M)

disconnect power to all non essentials like fans and optical drives and try again.

anything under 85-90 is respectable

psu facing downwards since heat rises. most cases have a bottom vent so the psu has its own little air loop.

They are better than the 1050ti and 1060

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QpBMYT

I dunno, threw it together in 5 minutes. Been out of the loop for a few years...

alright gays. what should I get: Seasonic Focus Plus Series SSR-750W 80+ Gold Fully Modular or an 80+ Platinum SSR-650PX. both are around the same price but the platinum has a $30 rebate

somewhat related question, I been playing the new resident evil game and my CPU has been at 100% usage for a lot of that time, resulting in temperatures like 98 degrees. So id shit my pants and turn it off.

Im thinking I should clean my shit out and replace the thermal paste. That should lower temperatures im hoping at least. My question is, will lowering my temperatures also lower my CPU usage in any way? are the high temps also forcing the CPU to work harder, or does it not work that way? Otherwise im kinda forced to play at lower settings or buy a better CPU. I havnt had a problem until now

Attached: 64973.jpg (400x400, 21K)

Only if there's more than 6gb vram needed, usually 1060 is better.
1050ti is from lower segment.

Attached: mini-29_rx_580_8gb_vs_gtx_1060_6gb.png (315x642, 130K)

You should check if they have amount of power connectors that you need(2x8pcie for high end gpus for example or a lot of sata if you have a lot of hdds)

CPU usage will stay the same but atleast your temps will most likely get lower.

would also consider organizing your cables if you havent already for better airflow and purging all the dust.

>opengl doom

Attached: tomsnvmerchant.png (500x500, 70K)

>will lowering my temperatures also lower my CPU usage in any way
No, but on high temps there can be the throttling effect that reduces your cpu performance.

I have the 750w 80gold seasonic coming in the mail. Should be here by tuesday.

thanks for the quick answers. damn. So is 100% CPU usage real bad news, that will almost certainly give me 90+ temperatures? will I need to work on lowering that too as well after I sort out temperatures

100% usage is fine if you have decent fps value.
But you should clean it from dust and replace thermalpaste for sure.

>100% usage is fine if you have decent fps value
shieet, that's suprising to hear. Thanks for the help, and yeah I will be cleaning and pasting later today hopefully.

what is your setup? do you have any case fans?

Im not amazing with computers so sorry if I say anything dumb. There is a fan on the case, and the stock heatsink that the cpu came with. ive never replaced either. both are cheap and 5 years old

You can get a sapphire vega 56 for cheaper.

Alright, heard this PSU was essentially a seasonic focus plus gold with slightly different caps (and stickers) on it, fanless mode at low load doesn't seem like it will harm it. I guess turning the fan on at minimum speeds would be for cases in which the fan is taking air from the inside.

pcpartpicker.com/list/rmvgcY

How's this for 1440p gaming?

Might wait and see what Radeon 7 brings to the table but my gut tells me it's just gonna be the power hungry space heater equivalent of 2080.

Attached: 1391700703579.jpg (200x303, 10K)

i still say face the fan downward, it helps prevent smaller bits from falling through the grille and the PSU will draw cooler air from outside the case.

what kid of case is it?

pcpartpicker.com/list/4fkhNQ What would you change? Budget is 3280 USD.

I hear you. I had a Sapphire 7970 a few years back and that shit had SICKENING coil whine and then eventually died, then I RMA'd it got a second one and that had permanent coil whine so I've got trauma with Sapphire products user...

My current PSU isn't bronze rated, should I bother getting one or am I OK?

It's a very cheap sharkoon case (VG5-W). It does have an opening down at the bottom.

i would up the ram to 32GB you might not need it now but you will a few years down the road.

Looking to get a new PC for video editing. Suggestions on my choices? Want to stay under $800
1/3

Attached: Screenshot_20190126-154722_Chrome.jpg (720x1280, 300K)

2/3

Attached: Screenshot_20190126-154715_Chrome.jpg (720x1280, 329K)

3/3

Attached: Screenshot_20190126-154708_Chrome.jpg (720x1280, 311K)

>3 x 120mm fans
i dont think having that PSU facing inward is going to make much of a difference. a pair of 120s sucking through the front and a 120 blowing out the rear is pretty decent.

reasons i prefer downward facing:
>psu gets its own channel of outside air blowing in
>dont have to worry about small bits falling into the psu
>the mobo power cable is closer to the cable management hold when its installed face down so it looks less messy

and i believe most modern PSUs will shut themselves off if they detect temperatures outside of recommended.

Attached: psu down.jpg (611x264, 59K)

Is there any known problems with using an older HDD with a newer computer?
If my old computer shit the bed and I slap in the storage into a blank slate computer will it require any further installation? I really just wanna save my old shit.

This is my build pcpartpicker.com/list/BVKYCb

Can't really change the gpu, cpu or the screen because they were gifts and the mobo is actually a P II which the retailer says has been modified. Should I trust that? Its just me swaying with whats economically feasible.

looks good DESU.

if you are only storing data on it and not trying to boot from the OS installation you were using on the old computer then you will be fine.

I would say get a better PSU and definitely not that SSD. Definitely.

rx580 nitro special edition - is it true it has annoying blue led's that can't be switched off?

Got the same mobo, sorry for your loss user

how does xfx compare to sapphire and powercolor?

Your Windows key is tied to your motherboard, correct? So there should be zero problem with swapping a Windows installation onto a new hard drive with the same motherboard and activating it right?

What cool shit can I add to my build? I’ve got all the standard stuff, plus a GPU, and an M.2 WiFi/Bluetooth card in a PCIe riser. I want to add something else but I’m not sure what. Computer building seems so boring these days. I don’t want to add any RGB shit.

Looking at hard drives and noticed that ''WD my book 6TB'' external is like 15% cheaper than a regular WD red internal.

Would it be possible me to buy the cheaper option, crack it open and use as an internal hard drive?

Attached: 1475964243269.gif (749x578, 160K)

If you want a budget SSD go for Adata.

Look up drive shucking user, but yes, its a good way to go.

blu ray
larger fans
10gig ethernet?
m2 raid? (see pic)
5.25 hot swap bay for a drive?
5.25 drawer?
5.25 bay with shitloads of connections?

most people add shit to their computers on an as needed basis so its though to say.

Attached: m2 pcie raid.png (673x468, 158K)

Yeah I just watched this on Youtube youtube.com/watch?v=5DEFdA4--Xw

It's from 2012 but I guess the core design shouldn't have changed that much, as long as it doesn't have crap soldered to it I think I should be alright.

I’m regretting getting one of those trendy cases without the external 5.25 bays. Would have been nice to add a card reader. Thanks for the suggestions

im personally hoping to eventually migrate my computers to 10gig.

just waiting for someone to make a 4port switch.

I have a Ryzen 1600 and a shitty GTX 1050. I'm not playing a ton of AAA titles, clearly, but my card is a bottom-barrel piece of trash.

I am eager to upgrade to a full 7nm Ryzen 3xxx / Navi system later this year. With AMD's release schedule, it'll probably be in late Q2 or mid Q3 before both Zen2 and Navi are available.

This brings me to my question: by that point, DDR5 will be on the horizon. Is there any reason to wait even longer for DDR5? Should I wait for that as well? (Will Zen2 even support DDR5?)

What should I use my 2 5.25" bays for?

Every card reader only has 1 USB 3.0/C port so I/O is always a let down or incredibly cheap looking

Attached: 1548395407519.jpg (1024x893, 92K)

i would just leave them empty till you actually need them or convert them into 3.5/2.5 bays with an adapter.

What kind of files are you moving around?

I got enough drive bays and if I would need more storage I'm just gonna setup a NAS anyway.

i do a lot of video editing and music production and i have a file server for backups and movies.
i have HDDs in my audio/video machine but if i had a faster network connection i could move them over to the server since i wouldnt have to worry about the 1gbit bottleneck slowing down work.

anyone?

Stock cooler? That is quite normal. Hellblade would take my CPU into the low 60's with spikes of 70 or so.

Changed to a NH-15 and now I rarely go into the 60's. But I did it more for volume than anything.

If stock cooler, did you switch it to high mode on the cooler itself?

bump

why is this gen such a fucking scam, dlss has zero support, ray tracing has zero support, 8gb vram for $750, less performance than a 22 month old card for more money.

Attached: jewvidia.jpg (1815x1062, 205K)

will a nh-u14s (165mm) fit in a case with a cooler height limit of 165mm? i think it should but idk

>ITX
its shit

because people buy nvidia no matter what and this is the result

I like it but you should get a bigger PSU and drop the tiny fans, replace the front 200mm fan if you want it to be more quiet.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Y9rjkd

How's this for 1080p stuff.

>have 24inch screen with 1080p
>watch linus and get memed by 1440p
>Get a 27inch screen with 1440p too big at the same distance, push your monitor further to achieve same proportions
>get an expensive GPU to run it

>effective pixel density to your eye (aka resolution) is the same but now you have wasted tons of money but it says "1440p" and we're all cool

Kill yourselves.

get your eyes checked

you're a dumbo.
obviously 1440p has higher res but it's worth it ONLY if you get it also in a 24inch screen.

its literally almost the exact same proportions as 1080 just with a bigger monitor and resolution,are you mentally challenged?

>sub 50iq post
Let me explain this to you as simple as possible.

24 screen with 1080p looks pretty much the same as 27 1440p.
Why?
Because you'll have to move your 1440p monitor slightly further.
In the end it's the SAME quality but if you want to game you play MORE in GPU to get the same FPS.

I swear to god you brainlets keep getting dumber every year.

>recommending the 2060
JUST POST THE IN-GAME PERFORMANCE AND THE HORRORS WILL END (no shills or "professional" benchmarkers)

Unironically can you provide evidence that 2060 isn't a better choice over other cards?

Is there really any kind of difference, both practically and technically, in a mini-displayport and regular displayport connection? What about an adaption between the two? Or is there literally no difference at all between the two besides the simple form factor?

>Stock cooler
No, Noctua NH-U12S. I only have the one fan that came with it and the fans that came with the case. I was considering getting 2 140mm fans for the case and another 120mm for the noctua

Attached: Noctua NH-U12S.png (581x687, 552K)