I know Jow Forums has strong opinions about headphones but what about microphones?

I know Jow Forums has strong opinions about headphones but what about microphones?

Attached: 61kWi--WofL._SL1400_.jpg (1170x1400, 111K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xa9bB2JYEic?t=58
youtube.com/watch?v=LUhdIsLKEvU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

u47fet or bust

I would also like to know what microphones are Jow Forums's favorites.
I was eying up the blue snowball for a bit, wondering if it's any good for the price.

I only use lapel mics my opinion is invalid

>microphones
USB Microphones should never be purchased if you are looking for a high-quality microphone. It's fine if you want a shitter $20 gooseneck for gaming, but if you plan on doing any high-quality voice recording, USB Mics are bad. You're paying for both the actual mic itself and for the built-in preamp, which is often times cheaply made (in order to minimize the pricetag) and you can't replace any component if it goes wrong.
If you must get a mic for voice work, get a dedicated preamp and a dedicated microphone with XLR cables. That way, you can upgrade your equipment with better stuff later on down the line.

>u47fet
>*looks at price*

Attached: 1547815410265.jpg (705x705, 45K)

Got a shitty blue one because i only really care about being heard clearly not that it gets the tone of my voice perfectly. Depends on your use case and how much you care/need it.

My voice is fucking gay, quality does not matter to me as much for input as it does for output since I listen to something better than I produce.

record other people

Electrovoice RE20 only. Everything else is just shit.

Unless you're a professional singer or voiceover person then a snowball or equivalent is perfectly fine for all other uses.

The snowball and the like are in a weird grey area for recording. They're better than what you need for simple chat, but noticeably bad for podcasts and voiceover. There's really no niche they work well in.
Also helps that most USB mics, snowball included, don't have a way to change the gain on the fly.

I use this thing. It's alright, sounds as good as or better than a Snowball but in a smaller form factor.

Attached: 419FSZGhU4L[1].jpg (385x500, 27K)

I checked some videos where they tried it out and it's noticeably worse than what "professional" youtubers use to record their voice.
HOWEVER, do I have a better option for the same price or less? even a tiny bit more would be fine.

I think their niche is hastle-free voip, at least that's why I got a snowball.
Headset mics work well enough but most of them require noise cancellation, vary in volume quite dramatically depending on how close you have them to your face, have no pop filters, peak super easily etc etc.
With my snowball I just talk into it and I know my voice is going to be transmitted perfectly with the limiting factor always being shitty VOIP compression. I don't have to worry about popping or peaking, I don't have to worry about if it's too close to my face, I don't have to worry about my audio quality, I can just get on with talking.

Get Stax microphone

Old but still valid

Attached: tuBgzbU.png (1600x5592, 2.89M)

the correct answer

Who cares you don't hear them

I honestly wouldn't spend more than 1$ on a mic unless my friend is a streamer or some thing and I appear on his stream.

Unless more than like 50people are hearing ya voice sound quality doesn't matter even a 1$ mic can sound passable as long as you set it up right and are not retarded

Me and a buddy both have it and think its pretty good, clear and natural sound.
I guess a negative can be that it picks up every noise around you too, may be a way to lower the sensitivity in software or something?

The Blue Snowball is a hassle
I speak from experience
Its awkward shape and horribly low sitting stand make it very hard to work with on a desk, it wouldn't be an issue if it had a larger recording field and didn't require you to be so close, but alas, it doesn't

>no shotgun mics
What is this?

Listen to this person

no superio small diaphragm condensers at all there

Snowball is pure trash. All Blue products are trash.
Get yourself a good Audio Technica microphone, like the ATR2500.

I just want a cheap mic I can use for le gaming. I have a mod mic 4 but it's too quiet and has started recently having issues. I tried the zalman mc1 or whatever it was called but it's too quiet. I bought a Blue Snowball ICE but that's too quiet as well. I've tried different drivers, every option in the sound menu etc. With no avail. I don't want an extendo dick in my face while trying to game.

just get a audio interface like UM2 and any condenser mic of your choice. the USB microphone choice would get even worse if you use Windows 10

I like my Aliexpress bootleg SM58. Pretty good for vocals and no background noise at all.

>all blues are trash
>post's the shittiest USB mic there is

Attached: 1546103521225.jpg (550x543, 24K)

like?

It was my first microphone and remember it being pretty shitty. It was way too fucking big and heavy for the sound quality you get. I got a Samson Go mic and while being a little condenser mic it sounds much better than that oversized piece of shit and cheaper too. For desktop I would just go for an XLR setup since all USB mics are trash.

I use a Blue Yeti. They're pretty decent.

This is true, though.

Behringer Uphoria with BM800

I have this exact setup. Good enough that the average Joe won't know it's an El Cheapo setup, while allowing for upgrades to better Microphones.

youtu.be/xa9bB2JYEic?t=58

You probably had some issue in your setup. The quality of my snowball is excellent and I had also tried shitty mics like the one you describe, and they are so bad I would rather not use a mic at all. While the snowball is massive for sure, at least the sound is loud and clear, not full of crackling with tons of background noise and barely audible.

a meme microphone, I have it myself and it's pretty mediocre, invest in the yeti honestly

>he didn't read the foreword

Attached: Screenshot_20190127-000645_Clover.jpg (1080x205, 144K)

I have a Blue Yeti. About as good as you're going to get with USB. Kinda wish I got the XLR version though.

>just get a 500$ interface bro

I was planning to cop a Fifine USB mic, but apparently the Chinks relisted it for 30 freedumbucks.

Why not a shotgun mic?
It probably would be better in shitty room.

I bought an SM48 that I use with a shitty, 15 y/o mixer. It works pretty damn well.

Blue snowball is pretty good

>listens to you typing on your mechanical keyboard
Most of those mics are 'too good'.

I use a SM-58 through a Behringer 302. Pretty comf. Though some latency with the USB interface when recording music.

I have a blue yeti on a mic arm and keep in front of my mouth with the gain as low as it can go and it only picks up my keyboard if I'm really slamming it.

Attached: turtle-beach-stream-mic.jpg (1600x1200, 305K)

Kill it with fire.

>too good

Sensitive =/= "good"

It just means it's a condenser mic, and unsuited to the purpose. Dynamic mics are supposed to reject any noise from anywhere, except the direct, frontal source, something condenser mics, like the snowball, can't do

Lower your audio buffer size, if you have a decent pc. You'll be able to get latency to near zero

the directivity pattern has nothing to do with the transducer type at all. you can get omni dynamics and very directional condenser shotgun mics

Okay, smartass, I thought it was obvious I was speaking in generalizations, and that when I say "condenser mics", it's referring to consumer microphones, suited to the same purpose as the snowball, but whatever

but the snowball close to your face as you would with the typical dynamic mic and guess what, it works the same

Are Rode mics memes?

t. Never used a snowball

thanks

nt5 and nt1a have been solid entry level choices for more than a decade for a reason and the procaster is a pretty good re20-style mic

Stick with XLR mics. USB mics just aren't there yet.

Shure SM58.

I have one too miles better than any carbon mic in existence good for voicechatting and probably low production value streaming.

Thats your problem not nine lol.

Meteor and snowball are dynsmic hence the size.

They still pick up the keyboard noise since your gead isn't that far away from the keyboard.

Is this you?
youtube.com/watch?v=LUhdIsLKEvU

I used to watch alot of videos about microphones and about some bootjunkie voice-over people.
They're the only ones who use neumann, like why can't a fucking streamer who gets thousands upon thousands of income not afford a neuman?? Hell, why do i never see a streamer use hd800s. If you got so much money laying around, why not get the best?

I got a used Shure SM58 for like $60 and it's great.

Doesn't Twitch stream audio at like 128kbps? What's the point of a good mic?

I still use the ModMic 4, i might get the Modmic 5 to switch between Uni and Omni soon.

Youtube is 192 kbps AAC though. Thats transparant, so a good mic still makes a difference. But desu you´re right. Gamers don´t need one, but some are just so filthy rich i don´t know why there isn´t one to stand out and conform to his riches.

>Gamers don´t need one
there is nothing worse than being that guy with a shit mic

you can easily get a super awful sound with a fantastic mic if you have no idea what you're doing and using it all wrong, that's not at all the weakest link if it's good enough which means basically everything better than what's built in a laptop

Because that's a shit ton of money for a mic made for singing, in an enclosed professional studio environment. They're not what you want for anything live.

This
My logitech c925 is a nightmare
It picks up someone flushing the toulet 3 rooms away and when i am writing something on paper on the other end of my room
Who dafuq thought this was a good idea

scarlett 2i2 + shure sm58

Attached: 270101000000000-00-500x500.jpg (500x500, 30K)

The big ones generally use the RE20, since it's industry standard for radio, and the best mic for spoken word.

A Neumann like the one in the pic is for vocals, and will pick up every goddamn detail of what is in its range, so it's impractical to use it during a steam, in a bedroom, while smashing on your keyboard

based and redpilled

>shure sm58
behringer xm8500 is a clone of that mic which is way cheaper

there's a tonne of these and they all sound like cheap copies of an already very cheap microphone

it sounds pretty good when you filter room-tone

well in a shitty noisy room you might as well use whatever, right

50p lapel microphone from ChingChong land.

This, a friend of mine has a snowball and it picks up every fucking keypress he makes on his cherry mx blues. Meanwhile I use greens with my SM58 and it doesn't pick up anything. Dynamics are GOAT for voip shit.

have fun overspending I guess

Have fun buying an SM58 anyways down the road because it's a superior product that'll last you a lifetime. Spend less, spend twice.

I bought it 5 years ago and have literally no reason to change it
seethe harder

>using a ball mic ever

USB mics are fucking trash anyone on Jow Forums using one should be hung like a cianigger. Buy a cheap XLR mic with phantom power source and use voicemeter banana and you got a better setup than some blue shit mic you'll replace anyways cause it fucking sucks.

I've that maul of a mic. It's fine.

If you have an audio interface, you can get excelent mics for under 30$ or even good used ones for under 100$

there are mics as good if not better then the yeti for 60$, I think its a sony mic, but for the position switch and on mic gain... its hard to beat the yeti

personally I would recommend blue snowflake, snowball, yeti over nearly anything else just because they are retard proof with physical buttons that I don't have to try and help friends/family with finding where their oses gain and shit is.

personally, If I had to buy a mic now, I would likely get a voice recorder that can double as a stand alone mic for pc, I can't remember its model but its around 150$. I use speech to text quite a bit and not needing to have 2 different mics set up would be great.

>I would recommend blue snowflake, snowball, yeti over nearly anything else
yikes

the moment that you get a 5 hour long phone call from people you cant tell to fuck off and figure it out yourself, you learn to love the simplicity of plug it in and it works, no dicking around solutions, and in this category, blue is ahead of nearly everyone else. if you are willing to roll dice or use some really chinky sound cards, you could go that one 25-35$ mic people recommend that uses xlr, but thats rolling dice on your computer accepting it or the chink sound card working well. everything else tends to either be worse then blue, or requires dicking around in os, and the posiblity of the os resetting settings, so for family, they require outside gain settings, most of my friends are stupid, but know their shit enough to figure out what to do to make shit work, so snowball or snowflake.

anons on Jow Forums aren't friends and family autismo

I bought a german usb mic. Works pretty good. Don't know the brand, but it works just fine like a yeti would.

got this on sale for 25 bucks. originally 90. p good mic I'd say

Attached: C01U_stand.jpg (1051x1500, 195K)

I hame a AT2020 hooked up to a ur22mkII, rate my setup Jow Forums

fpbp

Neumann is the only brand that does it 100% right