I got an old screen with only a VGA connector that's been a loyal servant for many years...

I got an old screen with only a VGA connector that's been a loyal servant for many years. Used a DVI adapter to make it fit to previous mobo. Now I got a new mobo and it won't fit cause of 4 pins.
>pic related

If I pull those bastards out, so it fits. Will it still work?

Attached: shit.jpg (1000x1000, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm
amazon.com/Xin-LiBang-Adapter-Converter-Display/dp/B01LYT4YN2/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1548566203&sr=1-7&keywords=DVI-D to VGA
nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/221/~/difference-between-dvi-i-and-dvi-d
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Probably not.
They're made to work in compatible ports, you'd most likely be removing pins you're trying to use.

No, those 4 pins are what carries the analog signal. If you pulled them off it wouldn't work. Your motherboards DVI port probably only supports digital signal.

Damn... Everything closed right now so I can't buy an adapter atm, and 1 screen when you're used to two is such a strange feeling. Anyways! thanks for the answer!

Gonna get an adapter now anyways so I'm gonna try tho. Will leave results here.

Buy an active HDMI to VGA adapter. The one I bought cost 10 currencies and is good for 1920x1080. Has HDMI sound output too.

Yeah just saw 1 for $20 I'll pick up tomorrow. Not bad! Thanks.

>no signal
You we're right. Didn't work at all. Thanks again!

does any one know the best HDMI to VGA adaptor?

I found one with 0.2ms lag but not sure it can do 1024x768 at 120hz it was only 5$ fyi.

What this user said, if it lacks those pins it's Dvi-d which is digital only dvi which requires an active adapter

Yes they just put those pins on there for no reason just to fuck with you.

And thus lack of simple standardization is AVI ports are all complete and utter shit

DVI ports...fuck I'm a retard. Still not as worthless and retarded as this non standardized ports though...

There is only 2 types you retard one doesn't support analogue adaptors that's it every cable works with every one

You are literally better off cruising Craigslist for a used monitor with HDMI, DVI, or DP than buying an active HDMI/DVI-I to VGA converter.

The only exception is if you have a really high end old CRT and you're trying for >60 Hz, in which case you need to investigate the few known specialty converters for that. VGA-only LCDs are complete trash.

ive seen a cheap HDMI to VGA converter claim it can do 85hz at 1024x768 thou and 85hz is the windows default if it doesn't know the display so it might actually be able to do higher this was like a 5-10$ converter.

also what you are saying is actually wrong there was plenty of VA panel VGA lcds with "1ms" or what ever LCD technology hasn't improved in 15years the backlights just changed which is what has improved the color not the panels they haven't changed at all IPS VA and TF an shit are all old tech from the 90s

LCD over VGA sucks because the host RAMDAC clock can never be in perfect sync with that of the display's ADC, which causes unneeded horizontal image softness, sometimes even to the extent that you can actually see the sharpness oscillate over time. Add on top of this all the usual analog interference that can cause problems like ghosting with less than good cables.

Also, you're an idiot if you think LCDs haven't drastically improved over the last 15 years. My 1600x1200 Samsung from ~2005 had (pretty flagrant, by current standards) color posterization issues from its VA panel, and it cost me like $1000 new. Try looking at a decent new panel, and consider getting your eyes fixed if you can't tell the difference between something new and that old.

your a larper and don't know shit nice words.

they haven't you could VA IPS and TN panels in 1999 and the respective of each would look the same as ya current one if you changed the backlight on it.

they haven't improved not even the hz is a improvement as any panel can do any hz its the controller box that powers it that dictates that no the panel.

you know shit all about tech and just vomited out some words you know. 1080p is fine over vga.

>switches panel type and justifies that as technology improving
you just hang out on forums with boomer dads that want to convince them self their new TV makes their dick harder
all these types of panels have existed forever read a book about how it works and hang out online less with purchase justification people

There's several kinds of DVI, OP

print shops and game developers still use monitors from apple and dell from 2005 because they have the best color accuracy

when you hit about 25 you will come to the sudden realization that technology isn't actually improving its just getting cheaper to make and ship to you

Attached: 1547403743857.png (240x221, 77K)

> people saying things I don't understand must be making up words
> any sort of progress of a given TFT cell type in the last 20 years is a lie and a conspiracy from the Koreans to resell you the same things

Holy shit people. It should not be controversial to claim that panel tech has improved or that running a display with physically quantized pixels benefits from a digital input interface.

people still use old pro-grade calibrated monitors since they:
1) have already been paid for
2) still work
3) aren't less calibratable than:
4) new pro displays (that) cost an assload

Clearly new bargain-bin displays are not built to the same levels of quality as old high-end displays, but this is clearly not what was described in OP. This is the same argument as CRTfags claiming that they were pinnacle of display tech, whereas is reality the only models with flat screen that could do better than 1024x768@85 Hz would have cost well over $1k in 2019 dollars. OP has a shit display and doesn't even understand the difference between DVI-D and DVI-I.

>LCD technology hasn't improved in 15years the backlights just changed
>they haven't you could VA IPS and TN panels in 1999 and the respective of each would look the same as ya current one if you changed the backlight on it.

All this zoomer faggotry nearly boggles my mind.
I still remember pre-IPS TFT panels from the mid-'90s, and I can personally vouch for how much things have improved over the last 20 years. IPS has nearly 10x better static constrast ratios that when it debuted, VA color banding has been improved, and TN actually has relatively usable viewing angles now. And none of those improvements were finished 10+ years ago.

For everybody claiming that the TFT cells have been the same since forever, consider educating yourselves:
> tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

t. oldfag

I got 3x crt that can do 1024x768 120hz for 10$ each recently this idea that they are "high end" and super rare CRT is bullshit basically every crt from 1998-2005 could do this

they are not pro grade displays thou they are literally the most generic dell 16:10 monitors from 2005-2006 … apple displays are not "pro" they are the same panels as dell

you clearly was 9years old in 2005 or some thing and have no idea what you are talking about

you literally just googled when IPS was introduced and was surprised it was 1995

please fuck off you are a not a old fag you are a 19year old dismayed that technology doesn't improve like marketing has told you.

>but muh new shit must be better every year some thing improves because the model number goes up

Attached: stf,small,600x600-c,0,0,1000,1000.jpg (559x451, 65K)

No it will not. The pins you want to pull out are the pins feeding you analog signal. Your new mobo does not have them because it does not generate analog signal, thus the plug is intentionally and logically made to be incompatible, so you can't connect incompatible shit to your computer.

The DVI types are standardized though, you probably just don't know how to tell which is which.

You need an active adapter and not a passive one because analog DVI has been deprecated on modern hardware. It's full Digital now and you need a chip to convert to analog.

It's 6 bux on amazon.
amazon.com/Xin-LiBang-Adapter-Converter-Display/dp/B01LYT4YN2/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1548566203&sr=1-7&keywords=DVI-D to VGA

buying one that looks fake apple is pretty untasteful at least link a generic looking one

the reason them companies use them old dell displays is the 2007+ dells where terrible and got worse and worse. you are just a wee lad you will learn eventually that tech "advancement" works this way

priority one can it be cheaper
priority two can it be lighter
priority three can it be smaller to ship
priority 4 can it be improved in some small way

99% of the time priority 1-3 mean 4 never happens you will learn this as you age. and they make this choice every year so imagine how worse things can get in afue years using the same "tech" but they brand it as "higher tech and improved" even if they just do 1-3.

OLED for instance is terrible and has grain and blotches behind the screen at actual lower brightness levels that you would use in ya home yet they show it at show floors at maxbrightness because they want to hype it up and make people want it even thou its worse because it means they will be able to sell you TVs rolled up in tubes which means they can ship 15tvs in the container space that a single one fits now. OLED is actually shit and worse than LCD you can make a LCD as black and wide color as OLED you just need to use a second LCD layer as a shadow mask for the blacks .

but alas you seem so set in ya ways you will prob be 40-50 before you realize this and every one with OLEDs will be calling you a boomer for still using LCD. consumer technology doesn't improve we are not NASA or some thing at the end of the day they are trying to sell stuff to us at better margins

This is a lot of stupid for one post.

might want to buy a 5$ video card off your local private sales. PCI-E has been around a long time and the old cards had good support for analog out.

Attached: AMD-Radeon-HD-6450.png (360x239, 99K)

>huuur muh money is well spent always

a dvi cable will work if it fits, but some quality may be lost.

I unironically tried this without reading up on it. Of well.

nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/221/~/difference-between-dvi-i-and-dvi-d

>type like a retard
>type out retarded shit
Color me surprised.

Who the Fuck still uses vga/dvi?
T. Only just switched to displayport