/vhs/

/vhs/
VHS and VCR General

Post your best VCR stuff
youtube.com/watch?v=-z4iw8Ppo1o

Attached: file.png (800x600, 623K)

VHS is a truly disgusting medium. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

It's not as nice as modern medium but it was what a lot of people used for a long time so it hold a special place in their hearts!

Nostalgia is the only possible reason anyone could have anything positive to say about VHS.

It's a nice hobby and has a larger library than DVD or Blu-Ray

>impressive for its time
>higher quality with additions later on
>pretty much entirely surpassed in all metrics these days
>maybe comfy as a novelty like gramophone records
what more is there to say?

post your favorite VCRs

HiFi approached CD quality audio at least.

I have a box of home videos on VHS and Hi8 that I want to digitize so I can throw them out. Where can I get a reasonably priced VCR / Hi8 player these days? I've checked Goodwill a few times, they never have them. Online they all seem to be selling for $200+. Also does it matter what sort of VCR I get as far as digitizing goes? Will a cheap shitty one be fine or should I buy something nicer?

Attached: 1471329986891.png (1272x716, 1008K)

>maybe comfy as a novelty like gramophone records

you mean maybe as comfy a shellac 78 or an edison cylinder. I download DSD 5.6mhz vinyl rips today such is the formats fidelity.

But VHS is just yuck. Only so much video you can fit 5mhz PAL channel. The chroma channel (colour) compared to luminence channe (B+W) l had so much less information to make it all work and Stationary mono audio heads were gay. They should of multiplexed stereo FM into that fucker from day one.

It was just compromise after compromise and dont get me started on reliving the memories of going to the VHS shop and renting a dirty a tape and needing to get your machine cleaned by a proffesional... fuuuuuuuuck

Attached: everyone harmed.gif (500x370, 1.87M)

Well you could record on VHS and reuse the tapes many, many times. That was pretty nice.

The good thing about VHS is in 2019, you can get boxes of movies on local classifieds for like $10 and have a virtually free non botnet way to watch a bunch of movies.

Is Hi-Fi better or worse than DVD lossy codecs like AC3?

Orphan Fansubs is using a D-VHS player to digitize old anime, but they're berry expensive.

It's not compressed, so there is that. It can't produce however as high as a CD at 22 KHZ, but it gets around 20 KHz IIRC.

Isn't being on a VHS tape compression itself?

No. It's analog. As long as the data can fit within the carrier frequency, it will store that data without any loss of information.

t. MPAA

laserdisc > vhs

There's still compression going on though. Going from a film slide to 525 scanlines. Sharp edges get blurred due to the physical limitations of magnetic tape. The NTSC/PAL standards were specifically designed to give more bandwidth to white level than tint due to human eye sensitivities.

Not with audio.

Would that make a difference though? I'm pretty sure the tapes I have are the cheapest money could buy at the time.

What is considered the holy grail of VCRs? Are there any VHS tapes that are considered better quality than others?

I want to record some random videos onto VHS tapes but how should I connect my computer to a VCR player?

Thanks for your contribution to the thread.

Not everything can be found on DVD/Bluray dipshit.

This but unironically.