Thinking of switching fields to IT from a non-STEM one but for now I'm kind of interested in learning more about how...

Thinking of switching fields to IT from a non-STEM one but for now I'm kind of interested in learning more about how computers work in general; does anyone have recommendations for an IT textbook (or some other guided, comprehensive resource that covers this sort of thing) that doesn't over-complicate everything to fill pages?

Cost isn't a concern since I'm just pirating it or finding something else

Attached: 500_F_90719487_XfENibizj6UcEz1D2PBLrBN0nI3TYznv[1].jpg (500x334, 97K)

Hey OP, I was in the same boat. I would start with Comptia A+ certification. IMO it will give you a good overview of basic IT concepts. I used Pluralsight for my learning, but it's not free. Sticking around to see what other smarter people say

I'm with on starting with A+, which tells you most of what you need to know in terms of the basics, touching on some intermediate things about PCs in general.

I've taken enough of the basics of programming in Java and Python to know I'm not interested in programming software for a living. I have my HTML5 and CSS3 certification that I've actively done little with since acquiring it May 4th, 2017. Right now, I'm gearing my career more towards network infrastructure and security. I have an interview on Feb 5th for a network technician position. Still nervous about it.

What kind of qualifications landed you that interview? What would your responsibilities be like? I’m currently a field technician for a retail chain but I’d like to do something better with my life and I’ve been seriously looking at networking, wlan specifically.

Problem is right now I'm just looking to learn how computers work above a normie level so finding learning resources is the issue. I also have intermediate, self-taught programming experience in C# and realized I didn't want to do that either (plus programming is extremely over-saturated and going to collapse)

Have you taken any additional network or security certs? Thoughts on Network+ and Security+ in general?

Yeah man, I was right where you are. Had some experience, a moderate understanding of computers. I landed in an entry level IT position and loved it. Decided to start doing some research and all the jobs in the next level required A+ certification. So I jumped into it and found I loved the IT field. Studying for A+ will give you some great info on how PCs work. You can buy the A+ book for the 901/902 test book (the most current test) for 60 bucks, or you can pick up the 801/802 A+ book from a store like half priced books for 6 bucks.

Read a GCSE/A-level computing textbook.

From what little I was told about the position just the other day, it would involve network maintenance (hardware, hands-on) and the my next/2nd interview with them will be more technical, including building a VLAN and assigning an IP address within a certain time limit. I've only been studying the Network+ certification, while most of my I.T. experience comes from several years of Geek Squad work, network troubleshooting from within an OS, and over-the-phone hardware support in more than one call center. Maybe that's enough and I just have impostor syndrome, I don't know. We'll see how the interview goes.

Oversaturated and incredibly tedious. If the world were to come to a screeching halt tomorrow, the software programmers sure as shit ain't gonna be the ones most people look to for survival or resourcefulness.

I'm currently studying for Network+. I couldn't tell you anything about Security+ aside from how to practice common fucking sense and best practices when navigating the internet (avoiding phishing, vetting any website asking for credentials, keeping all passwords different, using a baseline security software such as antivirus and ad blockers on local/user machines, etc). Again, maybe that's enough to at least get a jump start and I'm simply doubting myself out of fear of failure and inadequacy. But even if that were true, I'm still no worse off for refusing to try anyway. Better "Oh well" than "what if?"

>that doesn't over-complicate everything to fill pages

so not a book basically?

from what i've seen in this field, tech books tend to be 90% bullshit that you'll never have to deal with. if you want a more straightforward approach, consider video tutorials (i recommend Pluralsight).

comptia is babby tier shit, I wouldn't hire anyone flaunting those certs

now IT is a huge field, ranging from computer networks to deep learning.

I don't think you'll find a comprehensive resource, because saying you want to learn IT is like saying you want to learn sports.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes this site. Any courses you'd recommend?

What certs, or what learning would you recommend?

I talked with one of my company's IT managers yesterday, he's the one that manages the global headquarters. He mentioned certs such as MS, Xerox, and Oracle would get me places there. He also said that networking is big there, though they'll hire a contractor if the jobs are too big.

I'd say anything networking is gold to big companies, even if it's comptia

Yeah, research subjects that interest you and focus on them, instead of asking a bunch of unemployed wapanese faggots with diabetes to hold your fat hand through it.
Odds are you're too old to switch fields anyway.

Don't listen to this faggot . People of all ages change jobs all the time. Staying in one field all your life makes you a one-trick pony and makes you unmarketable in the event of a layoff or furlough. By all means, specialize, but develop a diverse skillset (something you simply won't find on Jow Forums).

My current major is undergrad CS. However, I may go into networking instead. CS sounds too involved and memey. Sure, it might pay well, but I'd be churning out some code for around 10 years that would probably be considered spaghetti to most.

>I don't think you'll find a comprehensive resource, because saying you want to learn IT is like saying you want to learn sports.
I said I want to learn about basic computer shit beyond the level of a dumb normie. Will read the rest of the thread later, have been busy

Ccna

If you really want to know how computers work, learn electronics

I am in this boat, like I just want to program computers dude I don't want to do Calculus fucking THREE jesus christ.

Calculus III is easy, and directly related to programming, you fucking webshitter

Computers are
a) math
b) software engineering
If you are not okay with both of those then you will not have a fun time.

Attached: real-isomorphism-hours.png (282x36, 3K)

Nand2Tetris