/hpg/ headphone general

bird user appropriates op edition

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: J1YwAvL.jpg (1960x1200, 221K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X-UGI2NF8jI
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
prisguiden.no/
prisjakt.no/
amazon.com/gp/product/B00KVVX2QW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500S-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW
youtube.com/watch?v=qE22dZ_jiyU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

id on this?

Attached: 1519645052035.png (480x360, 296K)

apple earpods

source? not that I think you're lying but I gotta make sure

First for sennheiser remorse.

Attached: sennheiserremorse.jpg (1324x8120, 2.02M)

oh idk then i just thought they looked like apple earpods. they're pretty easy to pick out

Thats funny how all those supposedly "bashing" reviews tell that they are "flat" and "good for classical". Of course people who are used to niggerbass would not like that.

>niggerbass
hi sapphire

Attached: shitheiser.png (1000x1757, 357K)

looking for an amp for the HD600, max budget is 400 but wouldn't mind buying one for 20 bucks

Attached: 26206-max_sennheiser_hd_600.jpg (585x797, 151K)

Atom

just plug it into a bucket of mud. good enough.

youtube.com/watch?v=X-UGI2NF8jI
Is he right /hpg/?

lads the right driver of my pre-fazor audeze LCD2 failed the other day
too poor for a driver replacement atm

Attached: 1528271842035.png (808x805, 1.05M)

>*POP*

Waste of money relative to stax.

>too poor for a driver replacement atm

>buying poodeze when you are so poor you don't even have any money stashed in the bank account to spend whenever you need to replace something in your life
Ultimate state

Attached: poodeze.jpg (3024x4032, 949K)

i mean he's got a point
u can afford audeze but not replacement parts?

Glorious pajeet robbing the gullible

First for DT-990s

Also, I never see ppl recommend Audio Interfaces as substitutes for a headphone amp & DAC. They may be too much of a swiss army knife for some but all anons should seriously consider them if they make sense in your PC audio chain.

It can be Cheaper than a dac+amp combo ;)

Attached: akashi.jpg (1280x720, 253K)

the scarlet is the go-to i've seen.
it works. you can get that if you want.

I use an old M-audio fast-track pro. Its a miracle windows 10 has generic drivers that work for it, buggy drivers can be a legit problem for some with any audio interface. But yeah the focusrites really dominate the bedroom recorder scene.

Attached: 0539b625ac289fe1f84e9fb4dbefaf92.jpg (1920x1200, 1.27M)

ill dominate ur bedroom anonalona ;3

why waste money on headphones when in ear earphones provide just as good if not better quality?

because they don't
iems have issues with imaging and soundstage

>just as good if not better quality?
404 soundstage
404 no feeling of bass (good headphones can actually make you feel the rumble a little on the outside of the skull and not just within eardrum)
404 resonances created by closing the ear canal can't be fixed, resonances around 7 to 9khz, because even if you try to EQ them out they will change in nature based on the depth of insertion which will subtly change every time you put them on
404 no comfort
404 closing the canal leads to a feeling of being underwater and sometimes the silence brings the noises made by your own body and tinnitus higher
IEMs are a garbage product for garbage people

( “・ω・゛)

Can't get a pair of earphones that stay stuck in on both ears. You can use different headphones for differnet application too and not every pair has to be prohibitively expensve.

Most of this is true. also cable noise makes my fucking teeth hurt

Attached: 1492304024617.jpg (2400x2400, 1.66M)

The issue with resonances is why Sennheiser did this weird tuning on their IE800. It was done on purpose, and took a shotgun to the issue by lowering the entire part of the spectrum where the resonance may lay so that every single person with every single type of insertion depth doesn't get to experience the IEM nastyness.

Attached: IE800.png (645x505, 53K)

This would be like a fatal blow to me after my 980ti failed. Need to get off my ass and finally sell that shit.
I heard if you take them off slowly it won't happen because the driver pops from the rapid change in pressure by quickly removing the very well sealing pads.

Have you heard the news? Stax SR-009 was rated lower than AKG K701 in blind listening tests.

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

LOL, even the best Stax headphones sound worse than some mid-fi cans.

Attached: 1548197925165[1].png (1027x1369, 784K)

based sapphire outing the garbo 009s

bird user owns stax bitches!

Attached: HeXFzsL.png (1193x837, 98K)

btw the total cost for this is ~350-400usd
budgetfags have no excuse

I am looking for a new pair of headphones, last pair I bought was a wireless Sony Extra Bass headphones with ANC. Regret the purchase and sold them yesterday. Right now I am looking for a pair of new ones that will exclusively be used at home, paired with my Fiio A5 amp. I tried the HD599 at a store and I kinda liked it but I want to know what's out there before I make a purchase.
- my budget is 200-250 euros
-since these will only be used at home I'm fine with open cans
-they will be used with the Fiio A5 portable amp. I am aware that this isn't exactly top of the line but Im not willing to sink hundreds of euros into just a dac/amp setup. I might buy a sub 200 euro desktop dac later this year if I feel like the headphones I end up buying will be done justice by a seperate dac.
HD600/650 sound nice but are 300+ over here and I heard so many bad things about them that I first want to hear them in a store before I ever buy them online.
Does anyone here have any recommendations as to what headphones I should check out? I listen mostly to old rock music and would like a pair with cris treble and highs. Bass isn't a primary focus but a bit of oomph would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

if you want higher treble and bass, i'd go with dt770.
some people say the treble is a bit rapey but you can eq it out if you need to.
the bass will be better on the closed back design, but you could probably push out more by buying skin pads like dekoni or branwavz hybrids

i appropriate large quantities of sadness that nobody were here to enjoy this fleeting moment of joy with me in this crazy mixed up universe

Just looked up it, looks very good but I have one concern regarding the padding. What I liked most about trying the 599's is that the earpads are very large and that it can be worn for a long time without becoming uncomfortable. The pads on the dt770's are more round shaped than oval on the sennheisers. Are they total over ear? Because wearing comfort is very important to me on this one.

HD600 still have plenty of treble compared to your average headphone for what that's worth

yeah the 770s are over ear, but i do like the oval shape of my hd600.
you want higher treble and bass which is obviously going to be better on the beyers.
the 599 are great but get the 250ohm dt770

I believe you instantly when you say it. I'm dying to hear the 600 and 650 for myself but I only have 2 hifi stores in my city. Next week I'm gonna visit both of them and try as much as possible. Are the 600 and 650 doable with just the Fiio amp? I know it has no trouble driving them sound wise but I'm a bit concerned about audio quality since my Note 8 and Lenovo laptop will be my primary audio sources. Do any of you use a standalone dac in your setup?

How does the 990 stack up against the 770? I understand bass is going to be thumpier on a closed back design but what about the higher frequencies? Won't they sound better with open back cans? Please excuse my unintended ignorance, I've never owned a pair of open canned headphones before

I use the topping d10 dac, because I hear hissing from my pc if I don't use it.

990 are overall better but less bass
you can probably get around it like i did on my echos by adding the pads i mentioned. skin pads add some bass that is otherwise lost through velour.
make sure you get pads that people say are fitted for the dt990 cause i got some pleather pads for my echos and they're a bit muddled cause of the shape and how i ghetto rigged them in.

now that i #ownstax
i really need a nap ;o;

which are the best earbuds (not in ear) for quality/price? i have a pair of (in ear) shure se215 and i absolutely love them, but i want something not in ear. currently using some edifier p190 but was wondering if exist something more "professional".

Why did this earpad ring and then an almost freely floating driver enclosure thing never catch on? Imagine what kinda openness it could provide. If you designed it differently you could even make it so the driver position can be adjusted for different sound profiles like on those AKG K1000.

Attached: p243i1.jpg (876x1011, 176K)

nobass

welcome to

STAX GANG

BLOOD IN BLOOD OUT

Attached: STAX GANG.png (593x712, 242K)

Or just buy any Etymotic IEM that uses a filter and the problem is solved. Seriously no headphone sounds good as the ER4SR.

stfu sapphire

Jamal-kun...

There was a good site that listed good headphones with various search criteria (open ear, closed ear, wireless etc) on the left hand side. You also got cheaper and more expensive suggestions for whatever you clicked, along with pros/cons/mixed. Wasn't it a part of the OP before? Did something happen to it?

canpicker, /hpg/ hated it because it used affiliate links

I just joined the massdrop for the 58x
Good idea? Bad idea?

Its the best headphone at that price range.

Are there any headphones that beat out the MDR7506s for the same price?

Attached: dean.png (885x623, 448K)

>Budget
However much is warranted for something I'll only use casually with my phone. Listening to music via Spotify, podcasts, audiobooks, etc. Maybe some usage with my PS4 if it's late and I can't make too much noise. I'm guessing that'll be like $150 at most but I'm flexible to go higher.
>Location
Norway. I usually use these sites to look for the best prices prisguiden.no/ prisjakt.no/
>Source
Phone mainly.
>Type of headphone
IEMs.
>Comfort level
High. Not too concerned with sound quality considering what I'll use them for.
>Sound signature
Bassy is probably best but I'm really not sure. I mostly listen to electronic, with a fair bit of alt/indie rock and dreampop/shoegaze and the like. Some times I'll listen to jazz, hip hop or classical. A bit of everything but mostly electronic. Make of that what you will.
>Past headphones
With IEMs I've only used basic shit that has come with the phones I've bought. Dunno if it's important to mention but medium-size IEMs hurt my ears so there needs to be a small alternative for that rubber thing that goes into the ear. Maybe they all come with that nowadays, I just know that a decade ago I hated IEMs because they'd always be too big or they'd slide out easily if I got a little sweaty at any point in the day.

Attached: 1543917324884.jpg (750x746, 488K)

nvm just found the earphone guide in the wiki I'm a faggot

that guide is incredibly outdated btw

Yeah it's not helping me so much after all. Please help Jow Forums.

Attached: 1528448756306.jpg (905x881, 254K)

Oh... Thanks.

Anyone have that nice frequency response chart guide that highlights the areas where bass is often perceived as bloated, or where highs are considered bright or sibilant, etc?

I would think that certain highs may not be as sibilant depending on the persons ears.

soon

Attached: IMG_20190127_123509-01.jpg (1920x1440, 1.27M)

>stax users

Attached: f46057_2908559.jpg (3264x2448, 852K)

>velour
SNIFF SNIFF SNIFF

FYI found it on diy-audio-heaven

Attached: sound-descriptions-mine.png (1168x430, 155K)

I sweat in them quite a bit over the summer so they have that dank 1200ng/dl test level musk
He500 is really shit with leathers so I made the jergpads. Going velour vesper pad on my l300 probably too
fuck off back to Facebook retard

Attached: IMG_20180430_162919-01.jpg (4032x2268, 2.71M)

>Budget
$300
>Location
US
>Source
My PC into a DAC/Amp:
amazon.com/gp/product/B00KVVX2QW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>Open or Closed
Open
>Comfort level
Comfort is very important, could be wearing these things all day.
>Sound Signature
Not picky here, I'm interested in trying out other sound signatures to see how they differ from my-
>Past headphones
Phillips 9500s
amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500S-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW

I posted this before with a 50 dollar lower budget and I got HD 6XX as a suggestion, but I'm curious to see if I'll get a wildly different recommendation for 300 fatties.

HD6XX is a good value yeah, can't really go wrong with it. Other options include the DT880 600ohm or the HE4XX. Just read up on those three and pick one.

youtube.com/watch?v=qE22dZ_jiyU

>I spent $500 on a pair of headphones I could have got for $150! I-i d-don't care though!

Whats the deal with this Zeos guy? He really sums up this hobby, the level of denial, snake oil and buyers remorse is something else.

He likely convinced a ton of people to buy the hd660s, I would have tried to save face too. The drivers are different sizes too even if the FR is near identical after a simple mod.

I see, thanks user

Attached: 1485103359364.jpg (448x500, 49K)

Thank you for the recs, I'll check 'em out.

What is the bassiest muddy dirty ass headphone. Asking for my black friends

>read headphone reviews
>yeah these $200 cans are good, but they just aren't as good as these $900 cans.

Attached: 1499527303345.png (487x560, 225K)

Sony N1GR-S

Damn I knew stax sr404 was a shitty meme

You want sony in your life when you want the Niggest.

Attached: sonyxb950b1.png (717x395, 65K)

I should add, this is the rtings compensation curve, where the HD600 looks like this.

Attached: hd600graph.png (662x406, 68K)

How do I clean headphones? Specifically the ear muffs, but the inside part has a little bit of hair and stuff trapped in it.

And somehow they still sound worse in real life.

>muddiest
>bassiest
undeniably an sz1000 or sz2000

Template:
>Budget
less than €100, if possible. whatever the best value would be
>Location
Germany
>Source
My laptop
>Type of headphone
Standard over ear headphones (not IEMS)
>Open or closed
I don't really mind
>Comfort level
Don't care as long as my ears don't get destroyed
>Past headphones
Chink Superlux HD668Bs. I really liked these, and I'm tempted to just buy another pair, especially since I already have the ear pads for them, but I thought i'd go shopping around to see peoples current opinions on them first.

He buys it with his paypig's money so he probably doesn't have buyers remorse. You're just jealous a fat fuck autist has an army of equally autistic paypigs who buy him equipment when all you can afford are shitty snapheisers.

What's the best sounding and comfortable headphone that blocks outside noise for places like metro?

Max budget is 150 bucks/euro.

HaaFee HD1 on aliexpress, don't worry about customs or VAT chinks usually declare this kind of stuff at like $10usd

I actually got something like this yesterday I just haven't shown pics, what's in the box?

Attached: IMG_20190127_112844.jpg (2656x1494, 199K)

HaaFee?
Is that a Chinese brand like Huawai?

Today an ad for the AKG K7XX popped up on MercadoLibre (the spic equivalent of eBay) for $120 dollars. I live in a third world country with no access to any of the Massdrop headphones, so I normally don't have any way of owning them. Are they worth it?

Attached: 1540834452363.png (900x1390, 1.66M)

with those moonrunes I can only think stax

bose

yeah, in any case it's the same OEM as the rbh-hp2
they're about the best you can get or that price, i would say they offer the same price/performance ratio as the HD6xx

ATH-ADX5000

it's a japanese made ear speaker, made by sony, it's all black and is known for it's soundstage. rinchoi likes it, and it's discontinued

where did you purchased those back covers?
i can't find them anywhere

life is made of disappointments

import them from rakuten or yahoo amazon via buyee, electromod said they are looking into ordering a shipment

MA900?

nope, not that either
I don't disappoint, I do enjoy playing the kansas city shuffle though

it's a speaker on your ears that has a bigger soundstage than your hd800

Attached: IMG_20190127_113110.jpg (2656x1494, 186K)