Hi guys!

Hi guys!
I wana build a pc with new and used parts for around 300 euros/350 dolars.
I already got an rx 580 for 100 euros, I just wana know what should I as a CPU. Is it worth to look at the used xeon market?

Attached: serveimage.jpg (257x196, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-3-1200-vs-Intel-Xeon-X5660/3931vsm17750
userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5154976
userbenchmark.com/UserRun/9663537
youtu.be/3K02zTu_baY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

wait for zen2

What I'm doing too user

9900 Kelvin getting rekt by a Zen v2 CPU using half the power.

And even if you don't buy Zen2 the market will have more used Ryzen CPUs due to people upgrading. You might get a very good poorfag deal. CPUs last practically forever anyway. Better to try to find Ryzen 2 though, there is a slight difference compared to Ryzen 1.

Used 2700x cheap when 3000 series drops people will be selling off their shit vrm x470 boards extremely cheap (yep I got rekt by the vrm scandal)

iirc Xeons only work on desktop boards/chipsets up to socket 1366, so unless you want a huge-ass server/workstation board, don't bother

all these retarded youtubers that have to make videos to make money off them are ruining the pc market and the desktop and laptop industry and the cheap prices on the used market since every other day a big popular retardtuber is telling and showing his retardwatching mouth foamers to get a used pc with used parts and to cheapskate as much as possible

This
Sold my 1600x b350 and 16gb of 3200 cl16 ram for 250usd last year

>new parts can't compete with old shit
absolute state of this industry

>I already got an rx 580 for 100 euros
How did you get one for 100€. They're all around 200€ new? DId you buy a used one?

Yeah.

Why the fuck would you pay 100€ for a card that was basically the best option for miners from mid 2017 to early 2018?
Aren't you worried about the card?

>le mining boogeyman

Attached: 1510494301785.png (638x540, 229K)

Xeon x5650 ~ 25€
x58 1366 mobo ~ 65€
8gb ddr3 ~ 45€
212 evo ~ 30€
Case ~ 30€
Psu ~ 30€
500GB SSD ~ 60€

Total: 285€

Core components (cpu, mobo, ram & cooler): 165€

A modern platform (am4) is more expensive, a b350 mobo is at least 55€, a decent quad core costs also like 70€, 8gb ram adds another 55€...this would be roughly the same price as the xeon variant, but it's 4c4t vs 6c/12t.

With a budget as tight as yours a xeon might be worth it, as long as you can overclock it.

>buying a card used for mining
>it ran 24/7 at 50% power load for months/years just because someone wanted free money
>get a card that has an effectively shortened lifespan
Iit's your money, user but I can't see why that was a wise decision.

Attached: 3610154048314_600.jpg (600x600, 45K)

2008-2010 intel tech is uncomparably slower at work compared to amd ryzen except in certain games
and its around the same price
what a stupid thing to type up

I bought it from some1 I know that was gaming on it retard, miners also don t sell only fucking one GPU at a time.

I own a xeon x5650@4,0Ghz and a ryzen 5 1600@3,88Ghz, I can tell you there's not much difference in performance.
A quad core ryzen variant is effectively worse at this point, especially if it lacks smt.

ryzen is out of my buget, uselles I would buy an r3 2200G which I won t, also I will overclock the x5660 m8, and that cpu is around an r5 1600 when overclocked

Why are the ryzen shills fuckin with my thread?
The thread was about the used xeon market not the r3000 series Tm that will come next year lmao

You forgot graphics. On a tight budget, a 2200G/2400G might be more cost-effective simply because you don't need another component.

The cheapest Ryzen 3 1200 costs as much as his Xeon AND board combined. It's definitely gonna be faster in single thread, but I'm not sure about multi-thread.

The vega 8 igpu is like 3 times worse compared to an rx 580

>Ryzen 3 1200
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-3-1200-vs-Intel-Xeon-X5660/3931vsm17750

Isn t that much, an used x5660 is like 20 bucks + an chinese knok off/used motherboard is another 70 bucs.
There isn t any used r 3 1200 around my area

I take my assumptions back. Good purchase, user.
But how (and why) did they afford an RX 580 if it was the card with the worst prices during last year's mining craze? Something doesn't add up here.

It's ~10% slower at 4ghz than a slightly oced 1600.

If you have 50-100€ more get a r5 2600. It might not be that much faster than an old xeon now but am4 gets zen2 too.

Please read before you are accusing somebody of shilling...

He already got an rx 580, it's in the first post...

Forget the graphics

You don't need a Chinese knock off, normal brands are also sold for 65€ every few weeks.

No shit, Sherlock, RX 580 is like twice the price even used.

Because no one fuckin buys used, when the miners sell lower than them that is why.

used xeons are good for workstation stuff, but absolute shit for games

BS a xeon x5650@4,0Ghz (or even higher) performs as good as a r5 1600 in games if not even better. You shouldn't match it with a 1080ti/2080/2080ti, but otherwise it's perfectly fine.

So are ryzens so it evens out

And it also cheaper, you can get a mobo cpu and ram(used) for the price of a r5 1600 cpu ( used).

Ain t it wonderful? When it comes to ryzen vs intel new gen, the single core performance doesn t matter, but when it comes to ryzen vs older arhitectures the single thread performance suddenly becames a factor.

>I already got an rx 580 for 100 euros

Good shit.

>I just wana know what should I as a CPU.

Ideally 6 cores.

>Is it worth to look at the used xeon market?

Maybe. You need some luck tho.

>Xeon x5650 ~ 25€
>x58 1366 mobo ~ 65€
>8gb ddr3 ~ 45€

It's not a terrible deal for the money, but it's gonna bottleneck in some places in funny ways even a cheap 1600 Ryzen wouldn't.
For example, if you run something memory starved and highly single threaded, you can look at some nailed on like 20 FPS in some games and a Ryzen will have literally 2x the FPS.
Still, for the price, can be a good deal. Old Boards are a bitch to get, especially for OC and old boards aren't exactly reliable.

>>buying a card used for mining
>>it ran 24/7 at 50% power load for months/years just because someone wanted free money
>>get a card that has an effectively shortened lifespan
>Iit's your money, user but I can't see why that was a wise decision.

The only thing i would be worried about is the fans, and they can easily be swapped for some random case fans with a bunch of zipties. Been there, done that, have 10 year old mining cards from the original bitcoin boom still around and they're still working fine. Fans replaced ofc.

>xeon x5650@4,0Ghz

Attached: 1490319110478s.jpg (226x249, 6K)

>x5650@4,0Ghz (or even higher)

Attached: tips-how-to-stay-safe-during-a-xeon-fire.jpg (560x346, 41K)

>For example, if you run something memory starved and highly single threaded, you can look at some nailed on like 20 FPS in some games and a Ryzen will have literally 2x the FPS.
I don't see any normal workload where the lower bandwidth will cause massive performance losses. Also at 4ghz the single core performance almost matches ryzen (at least it's much more than 50%).

Runs stable no problem.

Nah it's still cooler than my r5 1600@3,88Ghz (even though the bigger die area will help with this too ^^)

Xeon x5650@4,0Ghz:
userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5154976

Ryzen 5 1600@3,88Ghz:
userbenchmark.com/UserRun/9663537

>Old Boards are a bitch to get, especially for OC and old boards aren't exactly reliable.
Are X58 Asus P6T or MSI X58 PRO good enough?

Yes. More than good enough. Although my p6ts battery is dead and replacing it didn't work when I disconnect the power I have to reapply my oc ^^

>>For example, if you run something memory starved and highly single threaded, you can look at some nailed on like 20 FPS in some games and a Ryzen will have literally 2x the FPS.

>I don't see any normal workload where the lower bandwidth will cause massive performance losses. Also at 4ghz the single core performance almost matches ryzen (at least it's much more than 50%).

I have some old Xeons around, X5650 dual board and some older ones. In some games, they literally max out the GPU and you can't really tell the difference to a Ryzen. In other games you would see comically low performance.
I vividly remember getting 17 FPS nailed down with zero fluctuations in modded ArmA 3 multiplayer. Must be some weird bottleneck. Granted, a modern i7 only manages ~40 fps in the same situation, but still. Since ArmA scales so well with faster RAM, i suspect the low frequency high latency ECC grade server ram doesn't help much.

Which motherboard do you think it is better?
X58 Asus P6T or MSI X58 PRO ?

Asus p6t

>le mining cards are bad after a year of 24/7 work
>le server cpus are fine after a decade of work 24/7

Silicon ages very slowly. 25 year old pentium pros still work fine, as does most of consumer electronics. Mining cards are no worse then vanilla gaymen cards.

You may want to consider prebuilt workstations with X5650-X5690s as no one is selling high end X58 boards for a reasonable price. Don't forget Nehalem is about a decade old and the IPC is like 40-30% lower in some instances.

The good thing about Westmere-EP is that with modern heatsinks you can get them to more than 4.5 GHz easily. With an OEM board you should probably get a X5690 because the lower end VRM and bios will prevent you from using all OC features, but with the fully unlocked SKU you should be fine just using XTU.

You can get prebuilt X5** systems for $200-300 USD, add your GPU, and SSD for a bare minimum. When you can afford it get better PSU (make sure the workstation uses standard ATX before buying!) and a better cooler that will fit of course.

Westmere-EP is 32 nm, more than half the density of modern Intel with no iGPU. My [email protected] GHz,1.4 V idles at 60 C with no fan running and with a 350 RPM fan idles at 40 C. It peaks at 75 C under max load.

Typically it's the memory that goes bad on mining cards as ethereum was very memory intensive and while the core would be downclocked, the GDDR5 would be overvolted with custom BIOS if anything.

are the leaks true that zen2 will beat 9900k single core performance? Will zen 2 run on ddr4?

Probably. They can easily boost their single core performance by adding more cache and 7nm should enable competitive clockspeeds. Zen2 will support ddr4, however there might be a very very slight chance it could support DDR5 too (but that is very unlikely). DDR5 will probably only come in 2020 and you'll need zen3 to use it, probably on am5.

so hyped for zen 2 throwing awaythis old as intel cpu

Nah, he's better of buying a old cpu, which he'll eventually replace along with the mobo, cpu, and ram at a later date.

What kind of poor fag buys into AM4 with the idea of buying a stronger CPU later lmao

X58 Asus P6T or MSI X58 PRO ain t enough, found a deal on these 2 around 60 bucks ?

bump

>What kind of poor fag buys into AM4 with the idea of buying a stronger CPU later lmao
Maybe a first semester student with no job? I don't need a better cpu for the gpu I have, but if I get a 1080 level performing card a upgrade to a r7 3700x might be reasonable.

?

Pic related
Src: youtu.be/3K02zTu_baY

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-27-17-58-17-214_com.vanced.android.youtube.png (2280x1080, 320K)